• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

GIGABYTE Unleashes GA-X58A-UD9, Unlocks Monster Performance

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Meh, it could still use a PCI slot, especially for something like a wifi card.. 6 full length PCI-E slots is plenty.

For who? I'm glad PCI is missing. I want 7+ PCIe on all boards.

haha it is true i just see this board as a step past even stupid. these i7 people will buy damn near anything ven if it looks like something a 7 year old girl drew. high as a kite.

You mean like how the AMD owners jizz over every new Crosshair released?

It won't be physically compatible. An X-Fi sound card either uses a PCI or PCIe 1x slot depending on the model. The PCIe 1x slot is very small, while PCI and PCIe 16x 2.0 slots are much larger, but none of them are physically identical.

I don't know of ANY sound card that can plug into the same kind of slot that you plug a GPU into.

ALL PCIe 1x sound cards can plug into these PCIe 16x slots. Every single one of them. If it's PCIe, it plugs into these slots, period, regardless of it being 1x, 4x, 8x or 16x.

It doesn't have to completely fill the slot. It is all cross compatible.

Last edited:

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
hmm... the cooler on the chipset looks familiar...

its on one of their video cards (at least a very close version)
GIGABYTE GV-R485MC-1GI Radeon HD 4850 1GB 256-bit ...

looks like an awesome board... whenever i get lucky at the lotto i'll buy one.

edit

@monkey_business... just think of the days of the 16bit isa slots (or think of ide 33/66/100/133 all working in the same connector)... an 8 bit card could also fit into it. same goes for pci-e. a 1x, 4x, etc pci-e card will fit into the slot just fine, they'll just simply run in those channels only at 1x or 4x speed, or w/e. same goes vice versa, you could put a 16x gfx card in a 4x or 1x slot, with maybe cutting out the back of the plastic on the slot but it'd work, just less bandwidth. we're not yell'in at ya, just letting you know so if you don't have that 1x slot but a spare x16 you'll know you can still use your 1x device. (lan, raid, sound, tv tuner, video capture, w/e... )

edit 2 @ everyone claiming its overkill

1: at techpowerup there's no such thing
2: they're just getting us ready for Crysis 2 :)

Last edited:
It won't be physically compatible. An X-Fi sound card either uses a PCI or PCIe 1x slot depending on the model. The PCIe 1x slot is very small, while PCI and PCIe 16x 2.0 slots are much larger, but none of them are physically identical.

I don't know of ANY sound card that can plug into the same kind of slot that you plug a GPU into.

Honestly guy, If you believe what you are saying, you have Absolutely no business in this conversation. i guarantee that that creative card you show there will fit and run flawless in any one of those PCIe x16 slots. The nerve of some people to argue and be so rude about something they obviously know absolutely positively nothing about.

Last edited:
Honestly guy, If you believe what you are saying, you have Absolutely no business in this conversation. i guarantee that that creative card you show there will fit and run flawless in any one of those PCIe x16 slots. The nerve of some people to argue and be so rude about something they obviously know absolutely positively nothing about. :banghead: You sound like a straight idiot, you know that right?

Fuggin hell, calm down. He wasnt being rude, he had a valid question.

Lets get it back on topic.

Fuggin hell, calm down. He wasnt being rude, he had a valid question.

Lets get it back on topic.

Sorry i quoted he wrong thing. "fixed" He wasnt asking a question, he was telling us that the card will not work.

2x 8pin eps 12v connectors, gigabyte have you ever heard of overkill

silly gigabyte tricks are for kids

:D
only extra 8-pin connector on mobo is not such an expensive gimmick

But then i think all these fancy 48 phase ludocratic gimmicks unnecessary but people obviously love them. And all that capacitors and coils are the real overkill -- they're really thinkig green and to reduce consuption :rolleyes:. And extra eps 8-pin connector is just smart thing to complement all that c-ap cause without it all we really have is overkill cpu pwm that lacks proper power distribution from power supply.

Good lord Gb, enough. i get annoyed when companies do this. here is are flagship ud5, oh wait, no its a ud7! haha psych! it really a ud9, oh no here comes the ud21

:p LOL they must milk some money on enthusiastic X58 that still after 1.5yrs have only i7 920
as best mainstream value proc .... and probably no value i7 930 based on 6-core chip in reasonable timeframe.

Also, wth were they thinking, calling this their "high end board" with a ide and a floppy! their "flagship" board with legacy connectors. lols.

Cmon you didnt really expect that they remove that pcb space waste connectors :D and include something more useful like extra two sata3 connectors, not that board lacks of sata2 and c-appy jmicron sata2/eide controler, but for the price they could integrate 2x Marvell 88SE9128 (pcie x1 !!!! -> 2x sata 3.0) RAID 0/1 controller or something better.

But then there's good old floppy for life saving rescue feature if DualBIOS somehow fails :D Wait does this fancy mobo even feature that nitty life saving DualBIOS :facepalm:

And they call it *overclockers choice mobo* while motherboard LACKS OF EasySwitch RESET/PWR-ON feature ... These days even budget manufacturers include thes value gimmicks on their enthusiastic class mobos.

I say it's either the

Gig GA-X58A-UD9
Asus R3E - currently leaning to
EVGA Classy
MSI Future X58 with the big bang flavor....

bring it on...................

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
:D
only extra 8-pin connector on mobo is not such an expensive gimmick

But then i think all these fancy 48 phase ludocratic gimmicks unnecessary but people obviously love them. And all that capacitors and coils are the real overkill -- they're really thinkig green and to reduce consuption :rolleyes:. And extra eps 8-pin connector is just smart thing to complement all that c-ap cause without it all we really have is overkill cpu pwm that lacks proper power distribution from power supply.

:p LOL they must milk some money on enthusiastic X58 that still after 1.5yrs have only i7 920
as best mainstream value proc .... and probably no value i7 930 based on 6-core chip in reasonable timeframe.

Cmon you didnt really expect that they remove that pcb space waste connectors :D and include something more useful like extra two sata3 connectors, not that board lacks of sata2 and c-appy jmicron sata2/eide controler, but for the price they could integrate 2x Marvell 88SE9128 (pcie x1 !!!! -> 2x sata 3.0) RAID 0/1 controller or something better.

But then there's good old floppy for life saving rescue feature if DualBIOS somehow fails :D Wait does this fancy mobo even feature that nitty life saving DualBIOS :facepalm:

And they call it *overclockers choice mobo* while motherboard LACKS OF EasySwitch RESET/PWR-ON feature ... These days even budget manufacturers include thes value gimmicks on their enthusiastic class mobos.
It has reset and power buttons.

System Name ChaosMoes
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-3570K no OC yet
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Scythe Ninja 3 Rev. B
Memory 16GB 2xPatriot DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1866 Kit (PV38G186C9KRD, Viper 3 Venom Red)
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 590 Phantom Gaming X 8GB GDDR5 188€@13.07.19 Amazon Sale
Storage Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB, + ST32000645NS Seagate Constellation 109€ reichelt.de 2012
Display(s) 27" Phillips PHL 276E9Q 189€ @ Saturn(Germany) 1.09.2018
Case Zaria A20 !!!THANK YOU TECHPOWERUP.COM!!!
Audio Device(s) onboard Sound
Power Supply SeaSonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W
Mouse Logitech M705
Keyboard Microsoft SideWinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
i like it :)
every new board design has it's flaws, i still remember those being angry about "P4" Plugs everywhere those 4 pins in 2x2 rows ^^

for all those people asking to stop legacy ports, not every one is a gamer and those ports are important to many people as their purpose is more "switching" and "bitbanging" in realtime instead of pushing data thus they are needed in hardware, none of those usb-> rs232 dongle does that!
I will never buy any board without atleast one "analog" old plug just in case if they are missing you are skrw!
For the Floppy port, kinda moot ... those pins are not that expensive and if you need it? good to have right?

pci is missing and and that's good most card are availible as pci-e

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
i like it :)
every new board design has it's flaws, i still remember those being angry about "P4" Plugs everywhere those 4 pins in 2x2 rows ^^

for all those people asking to stop legacy ports, not every one is a gamer and those ports are important to many people as their purpose is more "switching" and "bitbanging" in realtime instead of pushing data thus they are needed in hardware, none of those usb-> rs232 dongle does that!
I will never buy any board without atleast one "analog" old plug just in case if they are missing you are skrw!
For the Floppy port, kinda moot ... those pins are not that expensive and if you need it? good to have right?

pci is missing and and that's good most card are availible as pci-e
The general point people are making is, this is targeted at a market that does not need the legacy parts. Normal people won't be buying this board, obsessed OCers will.

Kitkat

lol i try to explain this every motherboard post.... ppl always hit up with the same dumb lines (i hate that layout why didn't they optimize it ect... The layouts are fine.... for what ever market they are selling too. Its just not fine for the 10 old cards they need to use.. or the stuff they have that no one cares about. They need to start there own companies so that ppl with 6 dongles, 2 media cards from 1999 and those IDE drives (just like them (no one)) can finaly be happy with a layout that matches there CURRENT CARD order... UNTIL THEY DIE. lol! When on NEW boards u can change all that with switches on the motherboard or IN BIOS electrically. doesn't HAVE TO BE THE TOP 2 why do ppl make the same stupid post about 1X cards and motherboard layouts lol. There is a science to all of it. Most are just too dumb to see it. Or they dont think about scenarios, money choices or anything. They just think of there computer and then complain lol. Its so funny

The general point people are making is, this is targeted at a market that does not need the legacy parts. Normal people won't be buying this board, obsessed OCers will.

just the fact that u even need to say that lol... its insane

Judgedredd

Processor Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 Nehalem 3.2GHz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EX58-EXTREME
Cooling Thermaltake Bigwater 760 IS water cooling
Memory 12GB Corsair Dominator 12GB (6 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 Triple Channel Kit
Video Card(s) 3 BFG Tech GeForce GTX 280 OC In TRI-SLI
Storage 6 Wesern Digital RE 160GB in raid 0
Display(s) Sony Bravia XBR-Series KDL-32XBR6 32-Inch 1080p
Case Thermaltake Armor+ LCS
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Elite Pro
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Windows Vista ulimate X64 SP1
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 24124
I own this board and its rock sold board upgraded from a gigabyte EX58 Extreme

is there a differance yes there is it does have one major flaw thow
if running more then one video cards it remended that you plug in the two 4 pin molex connecters this is all we and good but if you plug in the top one there no way you can install the silent pipe 2 so you must water cool the north bridge