• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Removes Restriction on ATI GPUs with NVIDIA GPUs Processing PhysX

System Name Sonny Boy
Processor i5 11600K 4.9GHz @ 1.35 Vcore
Motherboard AORUS Z590 Elite AX
Cooling Deepcool Gammix 240mm AIO
Memory 4 X 8GB Teamgroup DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX 3060 Ti GDDR6X
Storage Adata Legend 1TB
Display(s) Philips 27" 4K
Power Supply Corsair 750W
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Bah. When i saw this story i figured i would grab a Nvidia card from newegg to give PhysX a try. Oh well thanks for the update, just saved me a few bucks. I guess if you use an AMD card as your primary card Nvidia doesn't want your business.

You can still do it :toast: Very quick and easy.

See link.

Works great for me. GT 240 as a dedicated Physx and 5870 main card.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
I honestly don't think it was a mistake to leave out that stuff in the latest update. It appears that they did this as a one time thing. And, I wouldn't be surprise to see it again on another non WHQL release driver.

Think about it, if it really was a mistake then the file should have been replaced by now. Downloading the file now should have the locks in place. Anyone want to test that theory?

System Name Akuma, Iluminati
Processor 2 x Intel i7 4930K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard 2 x Asus Rampage IV Gene
Cooling 2 x Corsair H110 Push-Pull
Memory 2 x Mushkin Ridgeback Redline 16GB @ DDR3-2400
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI, EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost
Storage 2 x Intel 320 120GB RAID0, 2 x Intel 520 180GB RAID0, TOO MANY MORE TO LIST!
Display(s) Asus PB298Q, 2 x Asus VH236H
Case Custom Tech Bench, Antec 300 Illusion
Audio Device(s) 2 x Onboard Soundblaster X-Fi III
Power Supply Corsair HX1000, Rosewill 1000w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I use a GTS 250 on the x4 slot of my Rampage II Gene with 2 5850s in CF. It works great. If you're going to buy an Nvidia card for dedicated PhysX I suggest you buy a 9800GT or higher.

If anyone wants more info about PhysX Hybrid setups I suggest you read this site: http://physxinfo.com/news/2789/hybrid-physx-mod-1-03-available/

I post regular comments on there under the name xDee xDee.

This is my rig: http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2634.html

My GT 240 is working great in Batman with PhysX on high x8 AA. Plus, no external power connector to deal with. NGOHQ.com has all the things you need to get it running. :toast:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
For all of the bitching about how physx sucks and is "useless" These threads sure do generate A LOT of interest :rolleyes:

I for one never thought PhysX (or Havok for that matter) suck. It's just underused, reducing it to useless eye candy, rather than the fully destructible environments that it's capable of. I believe a handful of games actually deliver this - Bad Company 2 is it? - and it seriously improves the game.

When I saw Havok first used in Half-Life 2, it was fantastic. :rockout:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
which is kinda wierd if you ask me, they make motherboards for amd, why not make physx cards for amd as well.

ATi has always been a direct competitor to nVidia.

However, nVidia started making AMD chipsets before AMD bought ATi, long before. It has only been recently that AMD became a direct competitor by buying ATi, and it doesn't make sense for nVidia to just shut down their entire chipset devision because of it.

I for one never thought PhysX (or Havok for that matter) suck. It's just underused, reducing it to useless eye candy, rather than the fully destructible environments that it's capable of. I believe a handful of games actually deliver this - Bad Company 2 is it? - and it seriously improves the game.

When I saw Havok first used in Half-Life 2, it was fantastic. :rockout:

The hardware accelerated parts of PhysX definitely are unuderused, and reduced to useless eye candy.

However, the software parts of PhysX, that run on the CPU like Havok, tend to be what makes the game playable and have anything moveable that interacts with the player.

I would really like to see PhysX uses to its full portential in games, with fully destructable environments, but saddly no developer will ever do that unless every gamer can use it. This means we will never see it unless PhysX runs on ATi hardware, or at least runs on a cheap nVidia card with an ATi card as the main GPU.

System Name The Shroomiest One!
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock x570 Taichi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 2x16gb T-Create Expert 3600C14
Video Card(s) NVidia RTX 3090 Founder Edition
Storage WD_BLACK SN850X 2tb, 2 x Team Group MP34 4tb
Display(s) LG 34GP83A-B
Case Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA NuAudio
Power Supply EVGA 1000w Supernova
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Pro
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
i get what your saying, but its still kind of the same thing. they make chipset for amd to make money from there chipsets. Why not release the lock to make more money off ati/amd people who want physx. physx isnt a big deciding point on buying the main rendering video card. So for those people that do decide on ati they will still be able to make a buck off them buy selling them another video card for physx. Its like a win win situation for them and there not taking advantage of it.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
i get what your saying, but its still kind of the same thing. they make chipset for amd to make money from there chipsets. Why not release the lock to make more money off ati/amd people who want physx. physx isnt a big deciding point on buying the main rendering video card. So for those people that do decide on ati they will still be able to make a buck off them buy selling them another video card for physx. Its like a win win situation for them and there not taking advantage of it.

That would completely go against their marketing philosophy. PhysX and CUDA are the reasons they want to to buy their cards exclusively. They feel that blocking these features to users with a different graphics card makes them have to buy their cards.

System Name Dell Workstation t5810
Processor Xeon CPU's E5-2683 v4 Broadwell-E Technology
Motherboard Broadwell-E X99
Cooling Default fan System Level 3
Memory 48GB DDR4
Video Card(s) ASRock Vega 56 8GB
Storage 4 External SSD, 4 External HDD
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Case Dell Precision 7810 Case
Audio Device(s) RealTek High Definition
Power Supply 825 Watts PSU
Mouse Soundless Black Quiet Mouse
Keyboard Dell Black
Software Windows Pro 10 x64
I guess i am the only person that thinks nvidia physx is stupid right?

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
I guess i am the only person that thinks nvidia physx is stupid right?

It's not stupid by any means, I think it's a cool technology. The only problem is nVidia is keeping it locked from people who don't use their GPU's as a primary card.

Based on your system specs, you may not know the difference between hardware PhysX and the ilk. The only title I can really comment on is Batman AA which makes excellent use of the technology and it looks great too.

Check out this video for a comparison between PhysX and non-PhysX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GyKCM-Bpuw

System Name Akuma, Iluminati
Processor 2 x Intel i7 4930K @ 4.6GHz
Motherboard 2 x Asus Rampage IV Gene
Cooling 2 x Corsair H110 Push-Pull
Memory 2 x Mushkin Ridgeback Redline 16GB @ DDR3-2400
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 670 FTW SLI, EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost
Storage 2 x Intel 320 120GB RAID0, 2 x Intel 520 180GB RAID0, TOO MANY MORE TO LIST!
Display(s) Asus PB298Q, 2 x Asus VH236H
Case Custom Tech Bench, Antec 300 Illusion
Audio Device(s) 2 x Onboard Soundblaster X-Fi III
Power Supply Corsair HX1000, Rosewill 1000w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
PhysX itself isn't stupid. What's stupid is the way Nvidia is handling it's usage.

I really just have a very hard time understanding how they can justify disabling a feature that works 100% with non-Nvidia GPUs in the same system. Obviously if people want PhysX they have to use an Nvidia GPU. So either way they would get sales. It's not marketing it's pigheadedness. To think someone paid their money for an Nvidia card and they can't use it how they want to, regardless if it is not their primary adapter, and Nvidia intentionally disables a working feature of a video card is ridiculous.

Heck I bet it would help them clear the shelves of their older cards because people using ATI video cards would like to purchase a 9800GT or even newer cards for PhysX which would be a sell that otherwise wouldn't have happened at all.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600

Personally, I agree with you. However, I'm just stating why the PhysX and Chipset comparision is flawed.

Stopping their chipset business would be like shutting down an entire devision of their company, it would be stupid. And as I stated, AMD wasn't a competitor until very recently when they aquired ATi.

PhysX itself isn't stupid. What's stupid is the way Nvidia is handling it's usage.

I really just have a very hard time understanding how they can justify disabling a feature that works 100% with non-Nvidia GPUs in the same system. Obviously if people want PhysX they have to use an Nvidia GPU. So either way they would get sales. It's not marketing it's pigheadedness. To think someone paid their money for an Nvidia card and they can't use it how they want to, regardless if it is not their primary adapter, and Nvidia intentionally disables a working feature of a video card is ridiculous.

Heck I bet it would help them clear the shelves of their older cards because people using ATI video cards would like to purchase a 9800GT or even newer cards for PhysX which would be a sell that otherwise wouldn't have happened at all.

Yep, it is completely idiotic. I think a lot of ATi users would pick up a cheap nVidia card to use PhysX(and CUDA in games like Just Cause 2). Of course the problem is that nVidia doesn't make as much money on the cheaper cards compared to the higher end, but something is better then making nothing...

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
Yep, it is completely idiotic. I think a lot of ATi users would pick up a cheap nVidia card to use PhysX(and CUDA in games like Just Cause 2). Of course the problem is that nVidia doesn't make as much money on the cheaper cards compared to the higher end, but something is better then making nothing...

I think they would get pure profit from opening it up, simply because ATI users are ATI users. Someone buying an nVidia card for PhysX support only wasn't necessarily going to buy a high-end nVidia in the first place.

I think I said it before, they could totally run on the whole "Why pay more for PhysX?" campaign.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
nV just needs to start selling G92 without display connections, and a blank backplate, to be specifically used as a Phys-X card. I fail to understand why they have not done this yet...

Processor 2700x under H100i progeebee
Motherboard ASUS x470 prime
Cooling Fans
Memory gskill ripjaw 3200
Video Card(s) MSi Vega 64 ref
Storage 120Gb OCZ Vertex 2E SSD - 500Gb Games - 1.5tb Storage and Media
Case CM HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Win 10
I think they would get pure profit from opening it up, simply because ATI users are ATI users. Someone buying an nVidia card for PhysX support only wasn't necessarily going to buy a high-end nVidia in the first place.I think I said it before, they could totally run on the whole "Why pay more for PhysX?" campaign.

This is what I keep thinking. I would never buy an Nvidia GPU as a primary based on the minimal benifits of Physx or CUDA and I find it had to believe many people actually would.

Could you imagine ATI diasbling Eyefinity functionality on all systems which employ secondary NV Physx GPUs? I couldnt either.

Allowing everyone regardless of the primary GPU to join the Physx party only results in not only in improved sales (which everyone knows they need) but also encourages more developers to put more A list Physx titles to market. Its a win situation for everyone in cluding NV despite how their flawed logic views the subject.

Like I said before... not officially supporting this means NV will never receive my money for a new GPU dedcated to Physx but Ill still consider buying a used card.

System Name Jaguar X
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Corsair H150 RGB
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC
Storage 1TB Kingston KC3000 + 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Display(s) LG C1
Case Cougar Panzer EVO RGB
Power Supply XPG Core Reactor 850W
Mouse Cougar Minos XT
Keyboard Cougar Ultimus RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
LoL. why are people getting a stiffy for physx, all it is good for is trying, then you will soon realize what a waste of time, energy and heat a physx card is and subsequently remove it form your system. :toast:

Happened here!!!

Unless, 50% or more of the top PC games out there start relying on PhysX... I doubt this is going to occur anyway :rolleyes:

Bad move Nvidia.

System Name Jaguar X
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E Gaming WiFi
Cooling Corsair H150 RGB
Memory 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC
Storage 1TB Kingston KC3000 + 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus
Display(s) LG C1
Case Cougar Panzer EVO RGB
Power Supply XPG Core Reactor 850W
Mouse Cougar Minos XT
Keyboard Cougar Ultimus RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro
(...) I think a lot of ATi users would pick up a cheap nVidia card to use PhysX(and CUDA in games like Just Cause 2). Of course the problem is that nVidia doesn't make as much money on the cheaper cards compared to the higher end, but something is better then making nothing...

You cannot use an Nvidia card as a secondary dedicated CUDA card in JC2. The main renderer has to support CUDA in order to enable the special features.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I think they would get pure profit from opening it up, simply because ATI users are ATI users. Someone buying an nVidia card for PhysX support only wasn't necessarily going to buy a high-end nVidia in the first place.

I think I said it before, they could totally run on the whole "Why pay more for PhysX?" campaign.

Not pure profit exactly. As giving the consumer the option to buy your competitors high end high profit product, while getting the benefits of your product with a lower end low profit card isn't always best.

Put it like this, you've got two high end sports cards from two manufacturers. Both are very similar all around in performance and price, say they are both about $200K, and the profit is $150K per car. Car A has cup holders, and you like cup holders but don't need them. Car B has sun visors, and you like sun visors but don't need them. Then, the manufacturer of Car B releases a very cheap $15K car that has sun visors also, that fit perfectly in Car A, but the profit of this new cheap car is only $2K. So now, what are you the consumer going to do? Buy Car A, give $150K in profit to that company, then buy the cheap car and only give $2K to that company. Would you see why the company making the cheap car would then change their sun visors so they won't work in Car A? Yes, they are still making the $2K profit, but if they didn't give the consume that easy option to go with the competitor and not loose any functionality, then they are losing a potential $148. Yes, the consume still might have gone with the competitors car anyway, but they might not have.

You cannot use an Nvidia card as a secondary dedicated CUDA card in JC2. The main renderer has to support CUDA in order to enable the special features.

Thats good, because I never said you could.

They can't use Hardware Accelerated PhysX either, at least not officially, but my point was that they would buy a cheaper nVidia card if they could.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Not pure profit exactly. As giving the consumer the option to buy your competitors high end high profit product, while getting the benefits of your product with a lower end low profit card isn't always best.

Put it like this, you've got two high end sports cards from two manufacturers. Both are very similar all around in performance and price, say they are both about $200K, and the profit is $150K per car. Car A has cup holders, and you like cup holders but don't need them. Car B has sun visors, and you like sun visors but don't need them. Then, the manufacturer of Car B releases a very cheap $15K car that has sun visors also, that fit perfectly in Car A, but the profit of this new cheap car is only $2K. So now, what are you the consumer going to do? Buy Car A, give $150K in profit to that company, then buy the cheap car and only give $2K to that company. Would you see why the company making the cheap car would then change their sun visors so they won't work in Car A? Yes, they are still making the $2K profit, but if they didn't give the consume that easy option to go with the competitor and not loose any functionality, then they are losing a potential $148. Yes, the consume still might have gone with the competitors car anyway, but they might not have.

doesnt work. profit from high end GPU's is minimal, they make more money from bulk sales of low end cards.

Lets put it another way: If ATI have a 30% market share and PhysX was worth it and allowed in ATI systems, that could potentially be a lot of PC's running a secondary Nvidia card.

Putting a more accurate example in:

Nvidia sell a car, which runs hot and chews fuel. it has a sunroof and cup holders.

ATI released a car which is a tiny bit slower, but cheaper, far better on fuel, and has no sunroof and cupholders.

You can buy a kit nvidia sell optionally (say, a 9600GT) to add that sunroof and cup holder to your car... it fits. but Nvidia specifically forbid you to do so, even tho they make money from it cause they'd rather you buy a new car, than an optional product.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
doesnt work. profit from high end GPU's is minimal, they make more money from bulk sales of low end cards.

Lets put it another way: If ATI have a 30% market share and PhysX was worth it and allowed in ATI systems, that could potentially be a lot of PC's running a secondary Nvidia card.

Putting a more accurate example in:

Nvidia sell a car, which runs hot and chews fuel. it has a sunroof and cup holders.

ATI released a car which is a tiny bit slower, but cheaper, far better on fuel, and has no sunroof and cupholders.

You can buy a kit nvidia sell optionally (say, a 9600GT) to add that sunroof and cup holder to your car... it fits. but Nvidia specifically forbid you to do so, even tho they make money from it cause they'd rather you buy a new car, than an optional product.

Overall profit on high end cards is minimal, and in nVidia's case the profit per card is minimal also thanks to their gigantic die, but generally the profit per card is higher on high end cards. And if you wanted to be technical, desktop cards, low through high end, only make up 1/3 of nVidia's graphics card profits, but account for 2/3 of their sales volume. Sales of their ultra high-end Quadro cards make up 2/3 of their graphics card profits and 1/3 of the sales volume. So...no, profit from high end cards isn't lower...

However, the volume is relatively the same when talking about buying cards just for PhysX.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Overall profit on high end cards is minimal, and in nVidia's case the profit per card is minimal also thanks to their gigantic die, but generally the profit per card is higher on high end cards.

However, the volume is relatively the same when talking about buying cards just for PhysX.

i just see it as a dumb move, cause i'd rather see my cards used as a feature booster than not at all.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
i just see it as a dumb move, cause i'd rather see my cards used as a feature booster than not at all.

I agree entirely, as I've already pointed out. I'm just explaining what I believe their reasoning is, I'm not saying I agree with it.

System Name BACKTOTHEFUTURE
Processor Stock I7 920
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 BIOS F6
Cooling 4 120mm 1 140mm top fan
Memory 12 gigabytes of DDR3 1333 RAM
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780ti
Storage Samsung 1.5 terrabyte Steam Drive and 2 Samsung 750 gig Sata 2 in Raid 0
Display(s) HP LP3065 30" Monitor
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DS
Power Supply Solid Gear Neutron 750 watt
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
I will find a way regardless to use my just purchased 240 GT as a Physics PPU

I have the room in my case and the slot on my motherboard and a 4850 X2 just looking for some help in Batman Arkham Asylum. I don't care if Nvidia wants to try to stop me. I will make it happen. For those of us who already have ATI graphics cards their business strategy is to block the only friggin reason for us to purchase any of their gear because we don't need it for anything else. Nvidia is so dumb that they don't realize that they are simply alienating a large crowd of gamers who already have ATI cards and frankly don't need to switch brands for normal graphics. WE WANT TO BUY YOUR PRODUCT. WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO STOP US? DID YOU EVER HEAR OF 3DFX? Yes you probably did. Hell, you bought their SLI technology and I hope you either wake up or suffer the same fate as 3DFX. No marketing strategy has ever included preventing sales. I guess Nvidia is looking to be inventive. But a wheel is round for a reason and no possible sale should ever be turned away. :mad:

Last edited:

Benetanegia

I don't know why so many people don't understand why Nvidia disables PhysX with a non-Nvidia card. It's just not profitable to ensure QA. Just because the hack (and in this case the un-locked beta drivers) works for the mayority, that doesn't mean it works for everybody without a single problem (for instance it won't work in Vista). Things that come from companies like Nvidia, Ati,Intel, etc have to work 100% or at least 99.9999999% of the times. Plain and simple.

Someone somewhere will always be able to hack something or mod something that will work 99% of the times without spending excesive time and money on the development, but they are free of responsability if that 1% for which it doesn't work as it should, breaks their PC trying to make it work. Companies have to ensure by law that it works on 100% of the cases and when it fails they have legal responsability. It's that 1% that costs these companies (and this goes for any tech company, game developer, car vendors, whatever) a lot of money in QA, but they have to do it, because even something that seems so small as 1% is a very big number of people in real life, outside iof enthusiast forums. A hack is used by very few people, which can literally translate to 99 people saying how well it works and only one person saying it broke his windows installment. That person will be ignored and people think it works flawlessly which in most cases is probably true, but not always. There's still the fact that it could NOT work in certain cases, because it has not been tested. If something untested was officially released and it didn't work in just 1% of people, that would still make a number of more than 1 million failing cases and that would make a lot of noise... class actions would be put in place etc, etc. I repeat, companies have to ENSURE it works flawlessly and that costs a lot of money, not to mention having access to tech and IP that the company might not have, like for example, for Nvidia Southern Islands/Northerns Islands. How are them supposed to ensure 100% interoperability when those cards are released? Average joe will not understand if for whatever reason PhysX doesn't work in his shiny new card. Why is he supposed to wait 2 months in order to have something he already had working before?

In a sense that's what is good about PC gaming and modding. Someone can make something and you can try it under your responsability. When I say "you", I mean an enthusiast, because average joe will not downlaod it, and that's the difference. Average joe won't download such a hack, but average joe will download an official release, average joe will try such official release and if it doesn't work average joe will blame the company and will go as far as taking legal action, because average joe knows much more about class actions than he knows about tech. And that's all, really. No campany is willing to spend so much money making something work when it won't even work in most systems out there (Vista). try explaining average joe why that something that is official works on XP or 7, but doesn't work on Vista... try...

System Name BACKTOTHEFUTURE
Processor Stock I7 920
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 BIOS F6
Cooling 4 120mm 1 140mm top fan
Memory 12 gigabytes of DDR3 1333 RAM
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780ti
Storage Samsung 1.5 terrabyte Steam Drive and 2 Samsung 750 gig Sata 2 in Raid 0
Display(s) HP LP3065 30" Monitor
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DS
Power Supply Solid Gear Neutron 750 watt
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
C'mon now

I don't know why so many people don't understand why Nvidia disables PhysX with a non-Nvidia card. It's just not profitable to ensure QA. Just because the hack (and in this case the un-locked beta drivers) works for the mayority, that doesn't mean it works for everybody without a single problem (for instance it won't work in Vista). Things that come from companies like Nvidia, Ati,Intel, etc have to work 100% or at least 99.9999999% of the times. Plain and simple.

Someone somewhere will always be able to hack something or mod something that will work 99% of the times without spending excesive time and money on the development, but they are free of responsability if that 1% for which it doesn't work as it should, breaks their PC trying to make it work. Companies have to ensure by law that it works on 100% of the cases and when it fails they have legal responsability. It's that 1% that costs these companies (and this goes for any tech company, game developer, car vendors, whatever) a lot of money in QA, but they have to do it, because even something that seems so small as 1% is a very big number of people in real life, outside iof enthusiast forums. A hack is used by very few people, which can literally translate to 99 people saying how well it works and only one person saying it broke his windows installment. That person will be ignored and people think it works flawlessly which in most cases is probably true, but not always. There's still the fact that it could NOT work in certain cases, because it has not been tested. If something untested was officially released and it didn't work in just 1% of people, that would still make a number of more than 1 million failing cases and that would make a lot of noise... class actions would be put in place etc, etc. I repeat, companies have to ENSURE it works flawlessly and that costs a lot of money, not to mention having access to tech and IP that the company might not have, like for example, for Nvidia Southern Islands/Northerns Islands. How are them supposed to ensure 100% interoperability when those cards are released? Average joe will not understand if for whatever reason PhysX doesn't work in his shiny new card. Why is he supposed to wait 2 months in order to have something he already had working before?

In a sense that's what is good about PC gaming and modding. Someone can make something and you can try it under your responsability. When I say "you", I mean an enthusiast, because average joe will not downlaod it, and that's the difference. Average joe won't download such a hack, but average joe will download an official release, average joe will try such official release and if it doesn't work average joe will blame the company and will go as far as taking legal action, because average joe knows much more about class actions than he knows about tech. And that's all, really. No campany is willing to spend so much money making something work when it won't even work in most systems out there (Vista). try explaining average joe why that something that is official works on XP or 7, but doesn't work on Vista... try...

Why is it any easier to make CUDA work with Nvidia cards than ATI? Really? When Physics/CUDA started it was a separate entity from the GPU altogether and their is no reason why a GPU can't be designed to run as simply a dedicated PPU. How hard can it be? Even if there are bugs enthusiasts as we are will find a way to make it work ourselves more likely than some tech support yahoo at Nvidia unless they really bunk up the whole process. I don't like it when a company is bullshitting me. In this case Nvidia is not telling the whole story and they probably think that CUDA is enough of a selling point to convince idiots to by their higher end gear when they already have strong enough CUDAless gear. Flushing money down the toilet is not my style. It just aint enough of a reason to change our whole graphics setup. Certain gamers like me only want to try out the Physics tech at a smaller premium than altering our already super expensive super powerful gaming rigs. Nvidia is simply nuts and should have embraced the idea of a separate PPU idea instead of trying to solely integrate it only into their own GPU configurations. I can't possibly think of any reason why somebody would purchase a higher end Nvidia card for CUDA when the ATI card they already have is fast enough. So why not sell CUDA for what it is; a separate entity from the GPU altogether. Why not have the option for both? I'm not buying the quality control aspect.