• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Heads Roll in Lords of Overclocking Competition Cheating Scandal

cadaveca

My name is Dave
FUGGER and VAPOR at GOOC DID NOT use a LOD hack. they openly admited it was something to do with changing directly D3D etc etc. I know full well what LOD is hell theres even a program to automate the registry hacks setLOD but I do know full well that it doesnt make a 20FPS change, and that was the difference. either way whatever

Well, I've heard two things..LOD, and renaming the app. Both can have signifgant performance differences.

But either way, I wasn't there, so I don't know what the story is.

Either way, it's just more drama, and it makes me chuckle. I could care less...the scores don't matter to me, who wins...legal or not.

Personally, i think most of the people who win shouldn't have been entering in the first place. Work for a website or OEM, you shouldn't be involved. If you qualify for a final event one year, you should be barred the next, so others get a chance....because it's really all down to the hardware...parts today take all the real skill out of it.

When you don't even need to pull out a soldering iron to get a WR, and just playing with settings...well...not much skill involved in that at all, IMHO.

The way this article was worded confused me first time. I had to read it again to understand but let me just confirm: these overclocking experts hialed for all their magnificence and knowledge in overclocking copied their results from this 'Andre' guy?

Andre sent all of them the file from a run he did himself. The same run. When running 3DMarks, you can choose to save the file, as many overclockers dont like to even have LAN enabled when clocking. The file can be submitted from any system. They got these files, and submitted them as thier own. One of them said he did it because someone else had "cheated", and he didn't want to see him win a spot to go to Taiwan. I think the "Andre" results are a direct result of this other "cheat", but I'm guessing.

Processor Intel i5 3570K
Cooling lots of fans
Memory 16 GB ddr3
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon HD 7950
Case its red
Power Supply comes from hydro electricity generated from Niagara falls
Mouse Razer Death Adder Chroma
Software vista home 64 bit
i guess people take these kind of contests very seriously

it doesnt surprise me much tbh, BUT for the number 1 in the world (ANDREyang, up until a few days ago) to sell scores to people is a disgrace. If you have to cheat to win a semi final WTF are you going to do when you are sitting in tapaei at the FINALS! I am a proud overclocker, I dont cheat to win, I dont use ES hardware, and I damn sure aint sponsored, but if someone such as skinnee was willing to do this to get sponsors what does this show about skinnee labs, how do we know he wasnt lying during reveiws to get free things from sponsors?? IMO this not only discredits skinnee and vapor, but skinnee labs as well. Vapor "claims" he "went to sleep" 45 mins before skinnee submited the sold scores, BUT in skinnees first staement at XS he states VAPOR was with him, no where does it say vapor went to bed. IDK it sounds like a bynch of BS to me. and is also shedding light upon the gigabyte event that was won obviously by a hack of some sort that nobody but fugger and vapor know about, because the scores just dont make sense. IDK I'm kind of glad I dont frequent XS anymore at this point

Hmmm - so you are saying that he was competing in this contest so that he could have a working relationship with MSI? Did he buy scores from Andre, or was he given them? I'm not sure if I see your point though with what you seem to be fixating on Vapors sleep habits.... Is he skinnee's keeper, because as adults I was thinking that they would be responsible for their own actions?

I thought you were banned from XS and that is why you don't go back there anymore? Researched the issue and seems you have taken up with RRR so as a place that is obviously at war with XS and spewing hate, why do I take a grain of salt with your views now:confused:

Also its Taipei not tapaei :roll:

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
Hmmm - so you are saying that he was competing in this contest so that he could have a working relationship with MSI? Did he buy scores from Andre, or was he given them? I'm not sure if I see your point though with what you seem to be fixating on Vapors sleep habits.... Is he skinnee's keeper, because as adults I was thinking that they would be responsible for their own actions?

I thought you were banned from XS and that is why you don't go back there anymore? Researched the issue and seems you have taken up with RRR so as a place that is obviously at war with XS and spewing hate, why do I take a grain of salt with your views now:confused:

Also its Taipei not tapaei :roll:

I don't think it matters too much any more what their intentions were. Their reputation is tarnished and much credibility lost.

System Name KAREN / EVA / GHOST
Processor Intel Core i7-950 / AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE / Core i5 3570k
Motherboard ASUS TUF Sabertooth X58 / DFI LP DK 790FXB-M2RSH / Asrock z77e-itx
Cooling Thermaltake Frio / Corsair Cooling™ Hydro Series H50 / Corsair Hydro Series H60
Memory Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 1600 / Corsair Dominator Quad2X4096-8500C5DF / G.SKILL Ripjaws Serie 1600
Video Card(s) XFX HD6950 CF unlocked /XFX HD5770 CF/ MSI R4890 Cyclone
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 60 WD Raptor X WD1500AHFD / Seagate Barracuda /Western Digital 80gb, Toshiba 1TB
Display(s) 2 Acer P215H 21.5 Widescreen / Acer S211HL 21.5 / HP 2009F 20inch
Case SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV02-BW / NZXT Phantom /Bitfenix Prodigy
Audio Device(s) On board / Philips MMS 321 - PC multimedia speakers
Power Supply Ultra X3 ULT40311 1000W / Cosair CMPSU-750TX 750W/ CORSAIR Gaming Series GS700 700W
Software Windows 7 64 bit / Windows 7 64 bit / Windows 7 64 bit
I use to bench my computer but now just in these forums. Its a shame that any one would cheat but thats how contest go. I guess saying this wouldn't have helped them.

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Personally, I don't really care. Doesn't affect me, doesn't make me think differently about them as I don't really know them. I think it was wrong, but a lifetime ban from a forum...just crazy to me. However, not my forum, not my rules. Anyways, there apparently are a lot of pissed off folks about this and discussions everyone.

TheGoatEater, I thought that was you they were talking about, but I wasn't too sure. (as far as the chip goes, etc).

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Personally, I don't really care. Doesn't affect me, doesn't make me think differently about them as I don't really know them. I think it was wrong, but a lifetime ban from a forum...just crazy to me. However, not my forum, not my rules. Anyways, there apparently are a lot of pissed off folks about this and discussions everyone.

TheGoatEater, I thought that was you they were talking about, but I wasn't too sure. (as far as the chip goes, etc).

XS is a forum thats heavily centered around crazy overclocking etc. The cheaters were highly respected over there and considered to be some of the best, so when they see something like this crap happen they don't want to associate there names with there forum, so it makes sence imo to ban them. But i am in the same boat as you, i don't know them and i really don't care, but say that to those overclockers out there who are trying there hardest to reach #1 only to have people like Andre lie and cheat his way to that spot, its not right and should not be tolertated all.

It's like looking up to some highly respected athletes for years only to find out they were using the same steroid syringe.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Did I miss something? Was Andre caught cheating to get himself to the top ranks?

No, but he made sure losers win just so people who were actually deserving #1, 2, 3 couldn't make it. And since he gave his scores to not one but four people makes it look all the more shady.

And even if not for profit, even if Andre himself didn't compete, crippling genuine competition in the overclocking scene is in his long term interests.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Did I miss something? Was Andre caught cheating to get himself to the top ranks?

He was caught cheating trying to move his friends up to the top spots yes, It was more meant as a generalization, people like Andre, the cheaters.

Also andre has done it before, just not in competitions is what im hearing, so yes, he probably has done soemthing to manipulate his way to the top spots at some point in his overclocking escapades.

He was caught cheating trying to move his friends up to the top spots yes, It was more meant as a generalization, people like Andre, the cheaters.

Also andre has done it before, just not in competitions is what im hearing, so yes, he probably has done soemthing to manipulate his way to the top spots at some point in his overclocking escapades.

Ahha, its all coming together ;)