• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

x1950pro comparison

smallzfsu

OK, so I have decided on the x1950Pro, but I havent decided which model to get. Im torn betwen two, the HIS turbo, and the Sapphire Ultimate Edition. The HIS has a higher GPU clock, but lower mem speeds, and the Sapphire has higher mem speeds and lower gpu clock (respectively). Also the sapphire from what I understand doesnt have VIVO, and the bundle is a little less enticing. The Sapphire has a zalman cooler, but I have heard rave reviews on the ICEq3 cooler from HIS. SO Im torn. If thats not enough I see that newegg has a diamond model that is 512MB but at stock speeds.... UGH! HELP! any suggestions please?:confused:

ATIonion

HiS has always done me well....their coolers are nice and usually quiet when compaired to the stock ati cooler...they usually overclock nice too...

sapphire isnt my fav. brand name. usually you will hear bad stories about them...i have owned 2 sapphires (9600xt and x850pro) and they both wouldnt overclock well, then i checked and the thermal paste was crap and hardly covered the core...re applied and it helped only a little...seems that the sapphire line is usually already maxed out...

VIVO is nice if you use it...for me i use it for my tv tuner which cant run on XP but the VIVO of ati picks it up and tunes the channels for me...the MMC is nice...you can overlay video onto desktop or in game...so you can play and watch a small tv or movie in the corner too...

I'd go HiS...you will be glad you did, and dont worry about its clocks, they will go up....:rockout:

Processor Ryzen 1600AF @4.2Ghz 1.35v
Motherboard MSI B450M PRO-A-MAX
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L120t
Memory 16GB Team Group Dark Pro Sammy-B-die 3400mhz 14.15.14.30-1.4v
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II PRO
Storage 240GB Brave eagle SSD/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Dell SE2719HR
Case MSI Mag Vampiric 011C AMD Ryzen Edition
Power Supply EVGA 600W 80+
Software Windows 10 Pro
i would personally go with the sapphire if the memory is higher, more room for improvement plus you should get a good oc out of the gpu aswell. and ive had a few sapphire cards never let me down or had one die on me yet

JC316

Knows what makes you tick
System Name Budget Gaming
Processor AMD FX6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Audio Device(s) Stock onboard
Power Supply FSP Aurum Gold 650W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
I like Sapphire alot. HIS is what I would go for though.

Azn Tr14dZ

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra-D
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X800XL
Storage 2x80GB Western Digital
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster
Power Supply Ultra X-Finity 500 Watt
I would go for the HIS. It has a great cooler (IceQ3) which is really silent, and also exhausts air out of the back which will help case temps as well. The Zalman cooler on the Sapphire is great, but doesn't exhaust. Also, the Sapphire has Aluminum RAMsinks, while the HIS has the Copper from the heatsink itself, so it should do better in terms of cooling.

And no, the Sapphire doesn't have VIVO. If you look at the 2nd picture on the Sapphire, it's missing the (Rage Theatre?) chip, which holds VIVO capabilities.

1950pros overclock well its just that people have yet to realize that they need some pretty decent cooling on the vrms or theyll overheat.

smallzfsu

yep

Yes, I agree with the copper ram sink, as well it is seperate from the heat sink that is on the gpu, so the heat from the gpu wont transfer to the ram. Not many opinions on whether the stock speeds @ double the VRAM is better than facotry overclock @ 256?

smallzfsu

1950pros overclock well its just that people have yet to realize that they need some pretty decent cooling on the vrms or theyll overheat.

So lets say the HIS is my purchase, I know that the blower is over the VRMs , and that part of the copper is over them as well, but is it sufficient to the level that you have suggested here?

ATIonion

So lets say the HIS is my purchase, I know that the blower is over the VRMs , and that part of the copper is over them as well, but is it sufficient to the level that you have suggested here?

as good as it can be anyway....but if you need more and plan on H2O cooling in the future, then they make a water block of sorts that fits over the VRMs....but i doubt that it would be a problem for you...and aside from the waterblock for it, there isnt anything else you can do to cool it..

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
I bet the water blocks would not go onto a his without problems. I would go with Connet3D good cards, samsung memory and its pretty much a ATi copy.

smallzfsu

cool

as good as it can be anyway....but if you need more and plan on H2O cooling in the future, then they make a water block of sorts that fits over the VRMs....but i doubt that it would be a problem for you...and aside from the waterblock for it, there isnt anything else you can do to cool it..

Dunno, Im still wary about putting liquids inside my electronics, I dont want to let the magic smoke out!:ohwell:

As for the 512 argument how do you think the HIS holds up against the Diamond Viper x1950pro?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103022

What more important to you, a faster card, or more VRAM? Keep in mind that as soon as DX10 becomes a must (I am gauging that as a yer or two) I will be in the market for a card, so do you think 256 will hold out for 1-2 years? (wanna borrow my crystal ball?) ;)

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Id go for 512MB <G> and get an
ICEq3 cooler for it.

ATIonion

Dunno, Im still wary about putting liquids inside my electronics, I dont want to let the magic smoke out!:ohwell:

As for the 512 argument how do you think the HIS holds up against the Diamond Viper x1950pro?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814103022

What more important to you, a faster card, or more VRAM? Keep in mind that as soon as DX10 becomes a must (I am gauging that as a yer or two) I will be in the market for a card, so do you think 256 will hold out for 1-2 years? (wanna borrow my crystal ball?) ;)

its really hard to say...most games you should be fine with..the diff is really noticed when running higher res. so it depends on what res you run at...anything 1600x1200 and under should be about the same as a 512 card...

My opinion on cards for pciX is this...with Dx10 coming to light soon, it would be somewhat silly to invest too much money in a high end card...yes Dx10 will be around for many years, and we all will prob end up with Dx10 cards sooner then we think..Save what money you can for that time...if you need to update your system and want to save $$$ then i would go for the x1800gto myself...with a simple volt mod and bios flash that card can see 700/700 clocks...i have done this with the ATI and the HiS cards....its a $139 card right now and if clocked like i said it can perform close to if not better then the x19xx line...yes it is only 256mb/256bit, but its also a great deal for a card that most likely will get replaced in less then a year with a Dx10 card....

either way 256mb/256bit is plenty good enough for at least the next year or so for games...hope that helps you..

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro

smallzfsu

its really hard to say...most games you should be fine with..the diff is really noticed when running higher res. so it depends on what res you run at...anything 1600x1200 and under should be about the same as a 512 card...

My opinion on cards for pciX is this...with Dx10 coming to light soon, it would be somewhat silly to invest too much money in a high end card...yes Dx10 will be around for many years, and we all will prob end up with Dx10 cards sooner then we think..Save what money you can for that time...if you need to update your system and want to save $$$ then i would go for the x1800gto myself...with a simple volt mod and bios flash that card can see 700/700 clocks...i have done this with the ATI and the HiS cards....its a $139 card right now and if clocked like i said it can perform close to if not better then the x19xx line...yes it is only 256mb/256bit, but its also a great deal for a card that most likely will get replaced in less then a year with a Dx10 card....

either way 256mb/256bit is plenty good enough for at least the next year or so for games...hope that helps you..

Definetly does help, and I have resigned myself to the fact that DX10 is in the _future_ and I can not worrow about something that isnt even real yet (of course I know its real, but do _you_ have it? ;)) Anyway, I think Im going to just go with the HIS turbo, the 512MB is 20 bucks more, and Im already pushing the envelope with the wife by going over 200 with the HIS. She may blow a gasket if I say 20 more than expected.:p

Think of it this way as well, Im upgrading from a 9600SE, so I think the HIS is going to blow _my_ socks off, why worry about anything else? :)