• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Spansion Expands IP Lawsuit Against Samsung

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Spansion Inc., a leading provider of Flash memory solutions, today announced the filing of an additional three separate patent infringement complaints against Samsung to further address past and ongoing widespread patent violations in a broad and growing range of Samsung Flash memory products. Spansion filed the complaints with the International Trade Commission (ITC) and in the U.S. District Courts in the Eastern District of Virginia and (an ITC mirror case) in the Northern District of California. The company first initiated action against Samsung in November, 2008, with the ITC and the U.S. District Court in Delaware. The judge in the first ITC case has set a target date of mid September to issue his initial determination.

Spansion's ITC complaints seek to exclude and enjoin from the U.S. market infringing Samsung Flash memory products and downstream products that contain them. Flash memory is a critical part of billions of dollars worth of consumer electronics such as MP3 players, cell phones, digital cameras, and tablet computers. Over the years, Samsung's infringement has and continues to unjustly enrich Samsung by many hundreds of millions of dollars. The District Court actions also seek compensation for Samsung's unjust enrichment in disregard of Spansion's extensive patent holdings.

"It is now more important than ever that we protect our IP. Our customers, partners, licensees and employees have put significant investment in our technology," said John Kispert, president and CEO of Spansion. "By defending our IP, we can protect our stakeholders' interests and continue the ongoing innovation required to address specific customer and market requirements."

Spansion is one of only two U.S.-based memory companies with wafer manufacturing onshore. The company's $2 billion investment in research and development continues to enable innovation in digital electronics. Spansion holds more than 3,000 patents and patent applications. The patents in the suits represent only a small portion of Spansion's IP portfolio. Spansion uses its IP to provide Flash memory products to its more than 4,500 customers. Spansion has recently expanded the number of IP licensees. Its IP covers a variety of inventions related to floating gate technology, which represents 90% of the entire Flash memory market.

While Samsung is the subject of these litigations, current ITC procedures dictate that Spansion name manufacturers of downstream products containing Samsung infringing devices in its ITC complaint. Companies named in the ITC cases include: Apple, BenQ, Kingston, MiTAC, Nokia, PNY Technologies, Qisda Corp., RIM, Sirius XM Radio and Transcend, and some of their subsidiaries and third party manufacturing companies.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

"It is now more important than ever that we protect our IP."

Isn't it funny that they always say that when a huge and successful company is allegedly infringing their IP... They all also seem to wait forever so there is enough stuff infringing patents. Why don't they jump on it when they first see such kind of products? Plus it makes me wonder how they figure out such stuff. Do they open up every device and inspect every chip under microscope and diagnostics to find out that it's using their very own technology?

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP
:shadedshu i really hate the us patent system

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Isn't it funny that they always say that when a huge and successful company is allegedly infringing their IP... They all also seem to wait forever so there is enough stuff infringing patents. Why don't they jump on it when they first see such kind of products? Plus it makes me wonder how they figure out such stuff. Do they open up every device and inspect every chip under microscope and diagnostics to find out that it's using their very own technology?

they probably did. but since samsung has shipped parts that infringe patent copyrights to so many OEM based companies. it probably took a while to investigate and find out 'how deep the wormhole goes' it probably started off as 1 offence that turned out to be many other offenses.

anyhow. f**k this 'leader of <insert technologies here> solutions' or 'market leader in <insert technologies here>'

as wiseman once say...."there can only be one...."

every 'market leader' should hire 100 ninjas n have an all out battle royal to decide who is the real 'leader' of their fields.

System Name Personal \\ Work - HP EliteBook 840 G6
Processor 7700X \\ i7-8565U
Motherboard Asrock X670E PG Lightning
Cooling Noctua DH-15
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Black 32GB 6000MHz CL36 \\ 16GB DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) ASUS RoG Strix 1070 Ti \\ Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage 2x KC3000 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 512GB \\ OEM 256GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) BenQ XL2411Z \\ FullHD + 2x HP Z24i external screens via docking station
Case Fractal Design Define Arc Midi R2 with window
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 with Logitech Z533
Power Supply Corsair AX860i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K55 RGB PRO
Software Windows 11 \\ Windows 10
I have always liked that all those firms, about whom almost no one ever has heard anything, starts doing lawsuits...

System Name TaichiTig
Processor i7 6800K
Motherboard ASRock X99 Taichi
Memory 32GB DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) RTX 4070
Storage SSD + Misc. HDDs in DrivePool
Display(s) BenQ PD3200U, Samsung C32HG70
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) Behringer UMC404HD, LSR308, Shure SRH840, AKG K612, Etymotic HF5
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Deck Legend Ice Tactile
Software Win10
Now that's a good business model. Forget earning your way to success in your market through hard work, innovation, and business strategy. Just quietly patent a good idea and then wait for someone to infringe upon it ... then wait for them to infringe a little more ... don't give them any warning, just keep waiting until a lawsuit would really be worth something, and then BAM! Hit 'em with it!

I'm not saying that's what happened here, just saying, it'd be quite a way to make some moola.

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Since getting a patent costs like 15 grand now I was wondering if you could just draw a diagram and get it copyrighted. It's not perfect but should help if you're just starting a minor business. Anytime I've seen someone win a patent theft lawsuit involving idea theft it's because they had proof they had the exact idea first, something that usually doesn't exist. A dated, copyrighted document should help right?

System Name Titan
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2670v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon R9 290 DirectCU II
Storage Mushkin Reactor 1TB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp U2713HM
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic X-750
Software Windows 10 Pro
An interesting thing to note is that they're actually part of AMD

AMD and Fujitsu, so yeah, not exactly a small company by any stretch.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Considering they actually produce real products, and not just file patents, this case may be legit.

Zatarra

So, is there anyone (besides AMD and Fujitsu) that is "legally" using their stuff?