• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

My ATI Radeon 5850 review (Gigabyte 5850OC) (custom dual fan model)

TT88

+1 erixx, but I think he should have chosen a gfx that evacuates hot air out of the chassis instead of this gigabyte variant. It looks to be only a cm or less between the fans and the chassis wall so the hot air will just be recycled.

Last edited:

danorama

revert bios

does anyone know if its possible to revert back to the original bios I've gone from f5 to f7 and I would like to go back as the 2d mode thing is giving me issues with dual monitors (causes flickering)

I cannot locate where I backed up the original bios so if its possible to revert back to an old one would someone be able to point me in the direction of the old bios :)

Thanks
Dan

anonemus

System Name Perpetual Upgrade Rig
Processor Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200 @ 3.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G31M-S2C
Cooling Scythe Ninja Plus, rev. B
Memory 2x2GB Kingston KVR DDR2-800
Video Card(s) Powercolor HD4650 1GB DDR3
Storage WD Caviar Blue 320GB SATA
Display(s) Acer X233H 23" 1080p LCD
Case Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply OCZ ModXStream-Pro 500W (soon: Antec TPN 650)
Software Windows XP Pro SP3 / Win 7 Ultimate 32-bit

danorama

f5 wasnt the original bios that shipped with the earlier stock. I'm after the bios that came shipped with it.

System Name mini
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4
Cooling XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V
Memory Mushkin Enh Blackline 4GB
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GV-R585OC-1GD
Storage Corsair P128 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Display(s) BenQ 20.1 FP202W LCD
Case COOLER MASTER Storm Scout
Audio Device(s) Creative SB Audigy 2
Power Supply Corsair 620HX 620W
Software Several
How do I know, without removing heat-sink, if my Gygabyte R585OC has either Samsung or HYNIX memory?
There are three bios on Gigabyte website:
F5 & F7: SAMSUNG memory
F11: HYNIX memory

Last edited:

Timonthy

Processor Athlon 64 X2 5200+ @Stock
Motherboard Gigabyte M61PME-S2 AM2
Cooling Stock AMD
Memory Kingston 2GB DDR2-800 *1
Video Card(s) EVGA 8600GT
Storage Random Seagate 250GB SATA
Display(s) NEC 1970GX/eMachines E211H
Case Resused HP case
+1 erixx, but I think he should have chosen a gfx that evacuates hot air out of the chassis instead of this gigabyte variant. It looks to be only a cm or less between the fans and the chassis wall so the hot air will just be recycled.

Actually with a nice case and decent airflow, open cards would be cooler than closed ones.

Ekar

I've just bought this card yesterday. It's definitely a great improvement over my old card (8800 512 GTS), but I wanted to get some opinions from you guys regarding overclocking.

I'm running the latest 10.6 Catalysts, and I assume the latest version of CCC. My card's BIOS also seems to be upto date (2010/06/09). My fan runs at 45% during normal use, temps look normal at 32/33 degrees C.

My problem is in trying to get a decent, stable overclock for my games. I've tried quite a few times now with fairly modest overclocks and am getting hangs, black screens, and automatic system resets, etc. I've seen quite a few posts now where people have stated that they are able to get... "940Mhz GPU and 1260Mhz memory", for example. Since this is a new card, and since I haven't dealt with ATI for awhile and since I'm a noob, I'm not sure if my barrier is the card, drivers, overclocking application or something else. I'm simply using the CCC to test my overclocks (they have all passed according to CCC).

I'd really love some guidance on how to achieve a faster and more stable overclock. Testing with Furmark and AMD GPU Clock Tool, it seems I can't even get the memory stable at 1095Mhz. What am I doing wrong?

(PS, have only tested a few games and applications so far. Wings of Prey seems very sensitive to overclocking, will hang fairly shortly ingame (auto reset). Arma II fares better, but I've had to reboot a couple of times here as well. The Unigine Heaven benchmark has also hung a couple times).

Cheers!

Last edited:

Ekar

Well, it seems I can get my memory relatively stable (15 mins in Furmark) at 1090Mhz, but as soon as i try to increase the GPU from the 'stock' 764Mhz even up to 775Mhz, the system will reboot.

When trying to overclock the core by itself, I can get up around 840Mhz before a reboot. At this speed my Unigine benchmarking score is pretty much the same as my score at default speed. It seems that this card is unclockable :(

This seems very disappointing for a card that has shown others such nice gains.

This is my first foray into GPU overclocking, so I'm not sure where to go from here. Leave it alone and put the whole thing down to an unlucky card? Hold out in hope for a BIOS or driver update that may set things right? Update the PSU? Jiggle the mouse cord? I'm really not sure.

Hope to hear some advice from others :)

edit: I'm following the 5850 overclocking guide at this link.

Last edited:
Reactions: Apa

bigjezza

does anyone know if its possible to revert back to the original bios I've gone from f5 to f7 and I would like to go back as the 2d mode thing is giving me issues with dual monitors (causes flickering)

I cannot locate where I backed up the original bios so if its possible to revert back to an old one would someone be able to point me in the direction of the old bios :)

Thanks
Dan

Ah-Ha! I thought I was the only one with that problem!
I have 1 DVI @ 1920X1200 and a HDMI at 1920X1080 and Windows Media Center flickers like crazy on the HDMI with BIOS F5 and above... Luckily I had a backup of F4. I've contacted Gigabyte 3 weeks ago, but still haven't heard anything.

Brokoslav

HD5850 with Accelero S1 rev2

Same flickering problem here - i have 1680x1050 monitor and 1280x720 projector connected to this card. Changing core/mem frq doesnt help, only thing that helps is changing refresh rate on one of the monitors, but this is a no go for me because my lcd only supports 60Hz and my pj starts tearing vsync on anything different from 60Hz.

I also tried everything to lower the fan rpms under 55% without any luck. Found a strange thing - modding my cards fan values in the BIOS resulted in the black screen of dead in max 1 minute under load. With default BIOS the card is perfectly stable.
As i cant stand the idle noise of the default card cooler at the end i decided to mod my hd 5850 with Accelero S1 rev2 cooler with two 120mm 1000rpms Nexus fans.
My PC is dead silent now and finally im satisfied.

Im attaching some temperature measurement with Accelero S1 for those of you interested in this mod :)

Attachments

• Gigabyte HD5850 OC core 800MHz mem 1125MHz with Accelero s1 rev2.jpg
    Gigabyte HD5850 OC core 800MHz mem 1125MHz with Accelero s1 rev2.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 412
  • Gigabyte HD5850 OC core 900MHz mem 1200MHz with Accelero s1 rev2.jpg
    Gigabyte HD5850 OC core 900MHz mem 1200MHz with Accelero s1 rev2.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 469
  • Gigabyte HD5850 OC core 765MHz mem 1000MHz with Accelero s1 rev2.jpg
    Gigabyte HD5850 OC core 765MHz mem 1000MHz with Accelero s1 rev2.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:

Brokoslav

HD5850 with Accelero S1 rev 2 attached

Here are some photos of the Accelero S1 rev 2 cooler attached to the Gigabyte HD5850OC card...

Attachments

• HD5850 Accelero S1 R2_.jpg
    HD5850 Accelero S1 R2_.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 699
  • HD5850 Accelero S1 R2 airflow_.jpg
    HD5850 Accelero S1 R2 airflow_.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 688
  • HD5850 Accelero S1 memory cooler mod_.jpg
    HD5850 Accelero S1 memory cooler mod_.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 843

Apa

System Name Mudkips
Processor Q9400 @ 3700MHz
Motherboard P5Q PRO
Cooling Zalman CNPS8700 LED
Memory 4GB Corsair DDR2 PC6400
Video Card(s) HD4870 800/1100 With AC Twin turbo
Storage 320GB + 750GB + 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 2493HM 24"
Case APLUS CS-188AF
Audio Device(s) Realtek (built-in in the mainboard)
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 Ultimatus maximus ultra uber OS
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/community/submission/977880_apamedvapen_3dmark_2006_geforce_9500m_gs_4588_marks
Dual screen flicker finally solved for me :)

Sounds awesome. Since I updated the drivers to 10.9 I started seeing flickering on my TV. The only way to get rid of it was to create a third overclocking profile in ATi tray tools with slightly higher clocks than the 2D clocks. Perhaps now I don't need that.

bigjezza

the F8 bios fixed my flickering too. Thanks Gigabyte! One less manufacturers site to frequently visit looking for fixes for annoying little things!

DeathMonk

I've just bought this card yesterday. It's definitely a great improvement over my old card (8800 512 GTS), but I wanted to get some opinions from you guys regarding overclocking.

I'm running the latest 10.6 Catalysts, and I assume the latest version of CCC. My card's BIOS also seems to be upto date (2010/06/09). My fan runs at 45% during normal use, temps look normal at 32/33 degrees C.

My problem is in trying to get a decent, stable overclock for my games. I've tried quite a few times now with fairly modest overclocks and am getting hangs, black screens, and automatic system resets, etc. I've seen quite a few posts now where people have stated that they are able to get... "940Mhz GPU and 1260Mhz memory", for example. Since this is a new card, and since I haven't dealt with ATI for awhile and since I'm a noob, I'm not sure if my barrier is the card, drivers, overclocking application or something else. I'm simply using the CCC to test my overclocks (they have all passed according to CCC).

I'd really love some guidance on how to achieve a faster and more stable overclock. Testing with Furmark and AMD GPU Clock Tool, it seems I can't even get the memory stable at 1095Mhz. What am I doing wrong?

(PS, have only tested a few games and applications so far. Wings of Prey seems very sensitive to overclocking, will hang fairly shortly ingame (auto reset). Arma II fares better, but I've had to reboot a couple of times here as well. The Unigine Heaven benchmark has also hung a couple times).

Cheers!

I've been searching online for threads and info about this card.. I just build a new computer using this card.

Overclocking with CCC, I can max the slider out on the core (918) no problem. However, the memory will only go to 1015Mhz.. 1020Mhz will immediately turn the screen blue with lines in it and lock up the computer.

I couldn't find anywhere that this is typical. Even you're getting better results than me.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Sounds to me like this card just isn't capable of much memory overclocking. Why? Who knows, could be lesser binned memory or the card is just incapable of delivering the necessary power to the RAM when OC'd. Nothing to worry about though as you won't see any real benefits from overclocking the RAM. 918mhz on stock voltage is very good though. Try using MSI Afterburner to take things higher. :toast:

DeathMonk

Sounds to me like this card just isn't capable of much memory overclocking. Why? Who knows, could be lesser binned memory or the card is just incapable of delivering the necessary power to the RAM when OC'd. Nothing to worry about though as you won't see any real benefits from overclocking the RAM. 918mhz on stock voltage is very good though. Try using MSI Afterburner to take things higher. :toast:

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I was pleased with 918 core. Not too worried about mem speed--just curious :)

In afterburner, it seemed like that is where the slider maxed out also. Am I missing something?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, I was pleased with 918 core. Not too worried about mem speed--just curious :)

In afterburner, it seemed like that is where the slider maxed out also. Am I missing something?

You need to go into the afterburner.cfg file and edit the value for [unofficialatioverclocking] by changing the value to 1. There are also two other values in there for voltage control to change to 1.