• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

XFX Radeon HD 6870 Smiles for the Camera

cadaveca

My name is Dave
No, I don't pay out the ass for new stuff.:laugh:

Great, but those features are there for those that do. You can't blame any company for trying to cater to those that WILL and DO pay high premiums for tech that barely works right...those people are the ones paying to make it better.

All you do is complain about it. Great. That solves what, exactly? You expect them to develop new products without cash?

People have to buy the products before they will make them work right. If you want something to get better, you need to invest in it, not complain about it.

FYI, those that use eyefinity will be using DP only. I mentioned before, take a look at all the problems I'm having, and you'll know exactly what they are going to change with this gen...

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Mid range cards guys.

So?, it'd be nice to do three or even four way crossfire with these cards. Though having only one connector is not a big issue.

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Ill be staying away from XFX after hearing about Cadaveca crap cards.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Great, but those features are there for those that do. You can't blame any company for trying to cater to those that WILL and DO pay high premiums for tech that barely works right...those people are the ones paying to make it better.

Only idiots buy half developed tech just so they can say they have it. I wouldn't touch DP with a stick because it has been a buggy POS from the beginning, with most users having to resort to using an active DVI adapter just to get it to work(now what is the point in that).

All you do is complain about it. Great. That solves what, exactly? You expect them to develop new products without cash?

I expect them to release the tech when it actually works. And I expect them to develope new tech that actually brings something new to the consumer, but DP bring nothing but buggy half developed crap. For what? So the monitor manufacturers can charge more because their monitor has it? Sorry, I'm not down for that BS. Maybe if the daisy chaining thing was actually working, but AFAIK, it is only on paper at this point.

People have to buy the products before they will make them work right. If you want something to get better, you need to invest in it, not complain about it.

No, the product has to work right before people will buy them. It is a BS idealogy to believe that you can release a half finished product, and not finish it until people buy it. I'm glad the auto industry doesn't do that. Can you imagine what would happen if BMW released a new braking system, that costs twice as much, performs identically to the old braking system but sometimes just fails to stop the car at all, and told the cusomters buy it or we won't improve it and actually make it work? Do you think any normal consumer would buy it?

FYI, those that use eyefinity will be using DP only. I mentioned before, take a look at all the problems I'm having, and you'll know exactly what they are going to change with this gen...

Yes, and again that will be a very small percentage of people. The average consumer would be much better off, and happier, with two HDMI ports.

Again, in case you missed it, I'm not saying there isn't a place for DP. I'm saying it doesn't belong on a consumer gaming card. The space could much better be used with a more accepted output. Once DP is more accepted, and polished into an actual 100% functioning product, then I'll have no problem with it on consumer graphics cards. But the way they rushed it into the consumer market left a real bad taste in a lot of peoples mouths, which means it is only going to be harder for people to accept it.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
DP wasn't rushed. You know that it's a tech developed by Dell, right? You know that literally millions of computers have DP outputs and millions of monitors on the market(ie units, not models) have DP inputs?

AMD's implementation is the problem, because let me tell you, very few Apple users have any issues, and DP was there first(ignoring the monitor that I own, the dell 3008WFP). And has been for years.

AMD screwed up the display output section of the 5-series cards. That's a fact I've been hyping here on the forums for a few months now. This new series should address the problems evident in its previous incarnation.

However, the ENTIRE 5-series was nothing but add-ons that barely work...DX11...Eyefinity...DP...all have HUGE bugs...bugs that are a result of poor hardware design, and that no driver, unfortunately, can fix.

But...all of THAT doesn't make DP bad. You are basing your opinion on a very select implementation of the product, ignoring the TONNES of other implementations that work perfectly fine.

And with that said, AMD should be recalling the 5-series gpus, in my opinion. However, companies rarely recall products unless the fault endangers lives.

There are also quite a few entry-level monitors with DP...I'm using 3 of them for my Eyefinity set-up. 3x23-inch, and I paid $239 a piece. Only "idiots" as you put it, buy overpriced merchandise. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
DP wasn't rushed. You know that it's a tech owned by Dell, right?

And Dell has never rushed anything to the market, and they've never released anything that was a buggy POS either.:rolleyes:

AMD's implementation is the problem, because let me tell you, very few Apple users have any issues, and DP was there first. And has been for years.

AMD screwed up the display output section of the 5-series cards. That's a fact I've been hyping here on the forums for a few months now. This new series should address the problems evident in its previous incarnation.

However, the ENTIRE 5-series was nothing but add-ons that barely work...DX11...Eyefinity...DP...all have HUGE bugs...bugs that are a result of poor hardware design, and that no driver, unfortunately, can fix.

But...all of THAT doesn't make DP bad. You are basing your opinion on a very select implentaiton of the product, ignoring the TONNES of other implementations that work perfectly fine.

Ok, that takes care of the problems with it, but not the fact that it still adds nothing over current options. The extra cost for nothing is what makes DP bad. I'm not just basing my opinon on the fact that it doesn't work because of AMD's crappy implementation, read my posts, that is just one of my gripes.

There are also quite a few entry-level monitors with DP...I'm using 3 of them for my Eyefintiy set-up. 3x23-inch, and I paid $239 a piece. Only "idiots" as you put it, buy overpriced merchandise. :rolleyes:

You paid $239 for 23" displays, and you don't think that is overpriced? My 25" with VGA, DVI and HDMI was only $200, and the 23" I have was only $149. A $239 23" monitor is certainly not "entry level", entry level 23" monitors are about $100 less. So to do your setup with HDMI or DVI is $420, but to do it with DP costs $720. So yes, only idiots buy overprice merchandise.:shadedshu

cadaveca

My name is Dave
:laugh:. No 23-inch monitors, other than these Dells, were $239, LAST SEPTEMBER. :laugh:

Do you remember what happened between then and now that dropped prices so much? That should give you a hint...:laugh:

A year + later, the cheapest 23-inch monitors HERE IN CANADA are around $200...

Dell didn't rush DP to market...it's been in development since 2003. And like I said, it works fine for Apple...

Also, please respect the forum rules:

Be polite, if you have nothing nice to say then don't say anything at all. This includes trolling, continuous use of bad language (ie. cussing), flaming and insulting others.

So yes, only idiots buy overprice merchandise.:shadedshu

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
DP wasn't rushed. You know that it's a tech developed by Dell, right? You know that literally millions of computers have DP outputs and millions of monitors on the market(ie units, not models) have DP inputs?

AMD's implementation is the problem, because let me tell you, very few Apple users have any issues, and DP was there first(ignoring the monitor that I own, the dell 3008WFP). And has been for years.

But...all of THAT doesn't make DP bad. You are basing your opinion on a very select implementation of the product, ignoring the TONNES of other implementations that work perfectly fine.

And with that said, AMD should be recalling the 5-series gpus, in my opinion. However, companies rarely recall products unless the fault endangers lives.

There are also quite a few entry-level monitors with DP...I'm using 3 of them for my Eyefinity set-up. 3x23-inch, and I paid $239 a piece. Only "idiots" as you put it, buy overpriced merchandise. :rolleyes:

My 5850 works flawlessly and I am a day one adopter.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
My 5850 works flawlessly and I am a day one adopter.

You know what, I'm using a single card, and one monitor now, and have no issues either. I also have had cards since release. ;)

All of the bugs I have are confined to either multi-gpu, or multi-monitor combined with displayport.

Even at launch, there was the multi-monitor DVI flicker, which they fixed by upping idle clocks, remember. 10.9 brought this flicker back, BTW. :laugh:

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
Only idiots buy half developed tech just so they can say they have it. I wouldn't touch DP with a stick because it has been a buggy POS from the beginning, with most users having to resort to using an active DVI adapter just to get it to work(now what is the point in that).

Tekie, I am with you on most everything most all times and I am not even sure yet about the potential of DP but, if we stayed away from the brand new "oh ya's" then all of us first to bat i7 920 CO folks including my self would have missed a very very good boat as they were the shnit! Mine clocks like a bear. Just saying:p

System Name Gundam 00
Processor 3612QM 2.10Ghz
Motherboard Intel
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) Intel HD4000 and nVidia GT630M
Storage Seagate 640GB
Display(s) 15.6 Inches
Case Lenovo
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD
Software Windows 8 x64 Enterprise N
nVidia in probs

I think nVidia is in serious problems this time around, i used to like the nvidia cards design they used to look really good but now they are just too ugly for me except the GTX480 and 470 from EVGA, Asus the lower cards are just ugly and ATi or better AMD are doin just fine in that department and i think there are many ppl like me who just don't like to use ugly cards i want the performance and the beauty and im nvidia fan but AMD is wining me over time by time...

Congrats XFX and AMD this card look sexy somehow it reminds me of the good times of GTX285...

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Cooling Corsair H70
Tekie, I am with you on most everything most all times and I am not even sure yet about the potential of DP but, if we stayed away from the brand new "oh ya's" then all of us first to bat i7 920 CO folks including my self would have missed a very very good boat as they were the shnit! Mine clocks like a bear. Just saying:p

But the i7's weren't ''half developed'' really, the first batch of anything is usually not the best(it can be luck of draw a lot of the time though), but that's way revisions and improvements are made to the product.

DP doesn't offer much over HDMI as a new standard and just blindly adopting it just because you have the money and and it's newer tech doesn't always mean it's gonna be a better product, DP has already proven itself to being a pointless ''upgrade'' over the HDMI standard.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
Cooling Corsair H70
I think nVidia is in serious problems this time around, i used to like the nvidia cards design they used to look really good but now they are just too ugly for me except the GTX480 and 470 from EVGA, Asus the lower cards are just ugly and ATi or better AMD are doin just fine in that department and i think there are many ppl like me who just don't like to use ugly cards i want the performance and the beauty and im nvidia fan but AMD is wining me over time by time...

Congrats XFX and AMD this card look sexy somehow it reminds me of the good times of GTX285...

Ya, Nvidia is in such trouble for not dressing their cards up nice enough, they're in so much trouble.:rolleyes:

hahah Dude!

BTW, DP this, DP that, DP, DP, DP!!!!!! I have never tried!

cadaveca

My name is Dave
DP doesn't offer much over HDMI as a new standard and just blindly adopting it just because you have the money and and it's newer tech doesn't always mean it's gonna be a better product, DP has already proven itself to being a pointless ''upgrade'' over the HDMI standard.

Very true, but there is one thing it DOES offer over HDMI, and only one...HIGHER BANDWIDTH, which allows for multiple monitors using only one output cable.(HDMI 1.3 max is 10.2 Gbps, DP 1.2 is 21.6Gbps +720Mbps for USB, etc)

Oh yeah, DisplayPort supports USB as well on the same cable. Make that 2 things.:laugh:

These new cards should offer that same functionality. And guess what....it should also fix any multi-monitor issues that 5-series owners have.

Now what leaves me curious is wondering if the USB side of DP 1.2 will be picked up.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Very true, but there is one thing it DOES offer over HDMI, and only one...HIGHER BANDWIDTH, which allows for multiple monitors using only one output cable.(HDMI 1.3 max is 10.2 Gbps, DP 1.2 is 21.6Gbps +720Mbps for USB, etc)

Oh yeah, DisplayPort supports USB as well on the same cable. Make that 2 things.:laugh:

These new cards should offer that same functionality. And guess what....it should also fix any multi-monitor issues that 5-series owners have.

Now what leaves me curious is wondering if the USB side of DP 1.2 will be picked up.

Reayth uses multiple monitors without issue.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Reayth uses multiple monitors without issue.

Probably on a 5970?

That's the strangest part...some people don't have any issues. But, the multimonitor issue I'm left with is in the driver release notes, so I know I'm not the only one.

really, I could just blame XFX...they were more than happy to not send me a replacement card until I called them today. They would have had me wait until someone sent in a reference one on RMA that wasn't actually bad.:rolleyes: Some much for thier claims of wanting to "get you back in the game as soon as possible, because we're gamers too".

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Probably on a 5970?

That's the strangest part...some people don't have any issues. But, the multimonitor issue I'm left with is in the driver release notes, so I know I'm not the only one.

really, I could just blame XFX...they were more than happy to not send me a replacement card until I called them today. They would have had me wait until someone sent in a reference one on RMA that wasn't actually bad.:rolleyes: Some much for thier claims of wanting to "get you back in the game as soon as possible, because we're gamers too".

Hes running a Visiontek 5850. Honestly man all joking aside I really think you got a bum card.

System Name Mr. Reliable
Processor Ryzen R9 5950x
Motherboard MSI Meg X570s Ace Max
Cooling D5 Pump, Singularity Top/Res, 2x360mm EK P rads, EK Magnitude/Alphacool Blocks
Memory 32Gb (4x8Gb) Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600Mhz @ 16/19/20/36 1.35v
Video Card(s) MSI 3080ti with Alphacool Block
Storage 2 x Corsair Force MP400 1TB Nvme; 2 x T-Force Cardea Z340; 2 x Mushkin Reactor 1TB
Display(s) Acer 32" Z321QU 2560x1440; LG 34GP83A-B 34" 3440x1440
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL; Synology DS218j w/ 2 x 2TB WD Red
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries Arctis Pro+
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850G3
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Das Keyboard 6; Razer Orbweaver Chroma
Software Windows 10 Pro
Haven't you tried more than one Cadaveca? I thought you had tried 3 or something with the same issue replicated on each, but I could be wrong.

System Name The wifes worst enemy
Processor i5-9600k
Motherboard Asrock z390 phantom gaming 4
Cooling water
Memory 16gb G.skill ripjaw DDR4 2400 4X4GB 15-15-15-35-2T
Video Card(s) Asrock 5600xt phantom gaming 6gb 14gb/s
Storage crucial M500 120GB SSD, Pny 256GB SSD, seagate 750GB, seagate 2TB HDD, WD blue 1TB 2.5" HDD
Display(s) 27 inch samsung @ 1080p but capable of much more ;)
Case Corsair AIR 540 Cube Mid tower
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply EVGA GQ1000W MODULAR
Mouse generic for now
Keyboard generic for now
Software gotta love steam, origin etc etc
Benchmark Scores http://hwbot.org/user/philbrown_23/
wow love the stock cooler look! i think i just saw my next gpu IF it out performs the nvidia gtx470

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Hes running a Visiontek 5850. Honestly man all joking aside I really think you got a bum card.

Nah, I got a whole bunch of bum cards. they were all reference, so now I'm going to non-reference.

I fortunate in that the cards I bought are higher spec'd than anything they sell now, as then they have to properly test the card before they ship it, becuase RMA'ing cards was one of the many things I ahve done over the past year + dealing with the issues.

I find it kinda common that 5850 users are OK...look at erocker...he had a fan die on him, and that's all.

I'm just going to sell the cards off when i get the replacement. Maybe I'll get lucky, and this replacement will fix it all, and the card I sent in was the bad card...but I'm not very confident that it will.

:laugh: It would be funny if I found one of these cards shipped out to me....:laugh:

Haven't you tried more than one Cadaveca? I thought you had tried 3 or something with the same issue replicated on each, but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I did, and I tried differnt boards, etc... I did everything possible.

And then I bought GTX480 in SLi...to find that no board out there supports SLi, so my tri-monitor dreams there are screwed until I get an Intel board.

:laugh:

I so hope these cards have no issues... it's gonna be really hard for me to pull out my wallet, this time.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
:laugh:. No 23-inch monitors, other than these Dells, were $239, LAST SEPTEMBER. :laugh:

Do you remember what happened between then and now that dropped prices so much? That should give you a hint...:laugh:

A year + later, the cheapest 23-inch monitors HERE IN CANADA are around $200...

Dell didn't rush DP to market...it's been in development since 2003. And like I said, it works fine for Apple...

Also, please respect the forum rules:

Yeah, and a year+ later, the cheapest 23" Dell monitor with DP is $270...so still overpriced. I really fail to see how this more expensive standard is better.

I wouldn't mind supporting it, or paying extra for it, if it actually offered something better over the standards that are already established.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
GO XFX GO, very nice looking hardware indead :toast:

This is obviously "In Your Face" NVIDIA for dropping XFX :laugh:

System Name Boomer Master Race
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7735HS APU
Motherboard BareBones Mini PC MB
Cooling Mini PC Cooling
Memory Crucial 32GB 4800MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 680M 8GB IGPU
Storage Crucial 500GB M.2 SSD + 2TB Ext HDD
Display(s) Sony 4K Bravia X85J 43Inch TV 120Hz
Case Beelink Mini PC Chassis
Audio Device(s) Built In Realtek Digital Audio HD