• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

USA Senators Clinton and Lieberman launch game rating advertisments

zekrahminator

McLovin
Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Brisbane @ 2.8GHz (224x12.5, 1.425V)
Motherboard Gigabyte sumthin-or-another, it's got an nForce 430
Cooling Dual 120mm case fans front/rear, Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro, Zalman VF-900 on GPU
Memory 2GB G.Skill DDR2 800
Video Card(s) Sapphire X850XT @ 580/600
Storage WD 160 GB SATA hard drive.
Display(s) Hanns G 19" widescreen, 5ms response time, 1440x900
Case Thermaltake Soprano (black with side window).
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Live! 24 bit (paired with X-530 speakers).
Power Supply ThermalTake 430W TR2
Software XP Home SP2, can't wait for Vista SP1.
USA Senators Hillary Clinton and Joe Lieberman have long been advocates of the ESRB's video game rating system. Hillary Clinton worked very hard to get Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas re-rated to Adult Only due to the "hot coffee" mod, and Joe Lieberman forced the gaming industry to adopt a rating system in the mid 1990's. The senators are starting a campaign of public service announcements to get parents to understand the rating system, and are working hard to make stores not sell games to minors without parental consent. Best Buy and Gamespot have already agreed to not sell an M rated game to anyone under 17 years of age without parental consent.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

ATIonion

ahhhhh.......some of us remember the days when parents use to parent their own children, not best buy.....seems like all we do as a society is try to "protect" kids threw the law, when really its the parents who need to step up....pay attention and PARENT...:rockout:

System Name Onus
Processor E8500 @ 3.95ghz ~1.25v
Motherboard ASUS P5E Deluxe
Cooling Scythe Orochi cpu, 5x 120mm Zalman red LED case fans, stock GPU coolers
Memory 8gb (4x2gb) G.Skill PC8000 5-5-5-15
Video Card(s) 2x ASUS 3870x2s
Storage 4x160gb RAID 0 Main, 2x 500gb RAID 0 media storage.
Display(s) LG W2600H
Case Lian Li PC-A70B, painted black and other modded aspects :)
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker. Klipsch RF-3II fronts, Yamaha NS-A222 rears, Klipsch RC-3II center, Klipsch SUB12
Power Supply Corsair CMPSU-750TX
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64, lots of games, photoshop n stuff.
Good thing I'll be 18 next year.

Azn Tr14dZ

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra-D
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X800XL
Storage 2x80GB Western Digital
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster
Power Supply Ultra X-Finity 500 Watt
There are so many parents out there that still don't care what their kids play, whether it's an "E" game or "M" game...those are the parents that let their kids have fun.

ahhhhh.......some of us remember the days when parents use to parent their own children, not best buy.....seems like all we do as a society is try to "protect" kids threw the law, when really its the parents who need to step up....pay attention and PARENT...:rockout:

thats very true, but when the parents aren't doing their jobs, the government needs to step in and enforce a little better. I think its good that they are doing this. Although im not one to say "videogames make kids killers" (lol), i think we should be more careful of whats influencing younger kids, mainly due to their lack of maturity.

jocksteeluk

The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
Processor custom dupont risk chip cpu prototype
Motherboard custom ibm x5 solid state carbon mainboard
Cooling industrial technologies prototype dupont custom heat transfer unit
Memory 6x 2gig prototype ecc hnc ddr4
Video Card(s) prototype low energy version nvidia 9 series unnumberd card
Storage 1tb solid state hdd
Display(s) 44 inch samsung plasma screen tv/monitor
Case custom ibm mobile home server case
Audio Device(s) custom Yamaha sound processing processor in spm format
Power Supply 1200watt deli cord custom made dupont type psu
Software sun unix/windows type v
nah its down to the blames and claims culture that makes people not care about themselves making a mistake like that stupid woman who purchased GTA SA for a minor eventhough it was rated for adults she then tried to sue, people need to take responsibility for their own actions instead of trying to sue someone else for them.

mout12

thats very true, but when the parents aren't doing their jobs, the government needs to step in and enforce a little better. I think its good that they are doing this. Although im not one to say "videogames make kids killers" (lol), i think we should be more careful of whats influencing younger kids, mainly due to their lack of maturity.

If this passes, there will be less incentive for game makers to create M rated games at all. We'll all be stuck playing Wii Sports for the rest of our lives!

System Name Back to Blue
Processor i9 14900k
Motherboard Asrock Z790 Nova
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR5-6400 @ 6600
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 Ultra FTW3
Storage 4TB WD 850x NVME, 4TB WD Black, 10TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
Display(s) 1x Samsung Odyssey G7 Neo and 1x Dell u2518d
Case Lian Li o11 DXL w/custom vented front panel
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Saffire PRO 14 -> DBX DriveRack PA+ -> Mackie MR8 and MR10 / Senn PX38X -> SB AE-5 Plus
Power Supply Corsair RM1000i
Mouse Logitech G502x
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 x64 Pro
Benchmark Scores 31k multicore Cinebench - CPU limited 125w
......... dot dot dot........ I play warcraft and now I think I'm an orc.

ktr

If this passes, there will be less incentive for game makers to create M rated games at all. We'll all be stuck playing Wii Sports for the rest of our lives!

the average gamer is actually around 30-33ish...not 13 :pimp:

TOP 10 INDUSTRY FACTS

1. U.S. computer and video game software sales grew four percent in 2005 to $7 billion -- a more than doubling of industry software sales since 1996.

2. Sixty-nine percent of American heads of households play computer and video games.

3. The average game player is 33 years old and has been playing games for 12 years.

4. The average age of the most frequent game buyer is 40 years old. In 2006, 93 percent of computer game buyers and 83 percent of console game buyers were over the age of 18.

5. Eighty-five percent of all games sold in 2005 were rated "E" for Everyone, "T" for Teen, or "E10+" for Everyone 10+. For more information on ratings, please see www.esrb.org.

6. Eighty-seven percent of game players under the age of 18 report that they get their parents’ permission when renting or buying games, and 89 percent say their parents are present when they buy games.

7. Thirty-five percent of American parents say they play computer and video games. Further, 80 percent of gamer parents say they play video games with their kids. Sixty-six percent feel that playing games has brought their families closer together.

8. Thirty-eight percent of all game players are women. In fact, women over the age of 18 represent a significantly greater portion of the game-playing population (30%) than boys age 17 or younger (23%).

9. In 2005, 25 percent of Americans over the age of 50 played video games, an increase from nine percent in 1999.

10. Forty-four percent of game players say they play games online one or more hours per week. In addition, 32 percent of heads of households play games on a wireless device, such as a cell phone or PDA, up from 20 percent in 2002.

source: http://www.theesa.com/facts/top_10_facts.php

more supporting sources...http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=age+average+gamer&btnG=Google+Search

mout12

the average gamer is actually around 30-33ish...not 13 :pimp:

source: http://www.theesa.com/facts/top_10_facts.php

more supporting sources...http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=age+average+gamer&btnG=Google+Search

I hope this info is true. Either way, I'm not voting for the B****. She should spend her time doing something that would actually make a positive difference in the world, rather than censoring America. Example: the reason it's so cool for minors to drink alcohol is because people make such a big deal about how bad it is. Kids ouside of the US drink alcohol, but they don't make a big deal about it because it's not so frowned upon. The more you try to stop something, the more it becomes a problem. If I don't get to see Half-Life ep:3 because America elects Clinton, expect a 9/11 times a thousand!