• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Overclocking Software

SwagBlow

Hey guys, I'm looking for some software to overclock from Windows

All I can find is Clockgen etc, really outdated stuff...

Is there anything that I can get that will work? So far I haven't been able to get anything to work

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
You need to go to User CP and put in your system specs.
As, a lot of the OC software is sytem or motherboard specific.
You can get the OC\monitoring software from vendors, like MSI, Intel, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc. or even a few made for certain hardware.

EDIT:
You are better off to OC from the bios setup, if you have that option.:)

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
95 hit the nail on the head with all points, +1.

SwagBlow

You need to go to User CP and put in your system specs.
As, a lot of the OC software is sytem or motherboard specific.
You can get the OC\monitoring software from vendors, like MSI, Intel, ASUS, Gigabyte, etc. or even a few made for certain hardware.

EDIT:
You are better off to OC from the bios setup, if you have that option.:)

Lol, I can't OC from BIOS and this thread will explain why :)

Onboard LAN Disappears After 3.4GHz

But yea:

Intel Xeon E3110 3GHz w/ Scythe Infinity I (35c idle, 45c load)
2x2GB Transcend 800MHz DDR2
Windows XP
GTX 460 1GB

Sooooo... any suggestions as to software (bearing in mind the thread I posted above explaining why I can't use BIOS)

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you tried Gigabyte's Easy Tune 4, 5 or 6?

And, I would not really try a FSB of anything varying from 100, + or - 1 or 2%; some cards and sub-systems get off kilter and refuse to participate.

EDIT:

Make sure you have the latest bios for that board, as it has a lot of fixes, one being LAN compatibility.
Check your boards revision; as, there are three different ones for the GA-G31M-ES2L.

Rev. 1.x bios

Rev. 2.x bios

Rev. 2.3 bios

Last edited:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
if your PCI-E needs to be set to auto to Oc a windows Oc program isnt going to help you. once you hit 3.5+ghz you are going to run into the same issue. instead you really need to tweak your settings learn your board and figure out why your not booting at 100mhz. try 105 or 107 and try to bios OC. I cant stress enough that windows OC is going to give you the same problem.

make sure your bus is locked if you have one. (the option some do this automatically)

spread spectrum (CPU/SATA) are set to off.

bump NB voltage

enable load line calibration

ram dividers

etc etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 74752

You can try updating your motherboard's bios, but another motherboard is probably your best bet.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Have you tried Gigabyte's Easy Tune 4, 5 or 6?

That is the best idea right there. If that fails to load correctly, well you are SOL and would need a new board as rick says if you want more performance.

I have played with ET6 many times, and for software OCing it is top notch with honest control of the bios and requires resets to apply said settings sometimes.

SwagBlow

Well if you ever needed proof that the PCI-E frequency isn't changing with the OC, then here it is:

It managed the overclock fine, just like before... and can easily go further (this is only on stock voltage)

But as soon as the OC was applied, the internet died and I could no longer interact with the LAN port, in so much as that it wouldn't even let me disable it or do anything with it in Network Control Panel

So clearly, everything is fine... this board is just a ****

How much are cheap LAN cards or whatever? So say... just to plug into my PCI slot. That way I have internet, and a better OC... but unfortunately with that method I have to apply the OC in Windows, as I won't be able to get past BIOS with these settings :/

And yes, my BIOS is the latest version

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
A new lan card can run from about 10 to 1000+, depends on what you want, but usually any good 10/ 100/ 1000Mbps PCI Express card will do. Pick one with the right bus and connectors for your use.

Have you got anything plugged into the PCIe slot (x1) and, if so, does that device work when you OC?

Just a couple of things to try, if you haven't...

In the bios:
Turn on the Onboard LAN Boot ROM
Have the Performance Enhance set to Standard

If you can borrow a LAN card, try it.
Goodluck...
:)

System Name Old Skool
Processor E6750 @ 3.6 ghz
Motherboard GA P35 DS3L
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283v
Memory 4gb Kingston DDR2 @ 900mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 9800GT 512MB
Storage SAMSUNG 320gb
Display(s) VIEWSONIC vx2260wm
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Realtek (on board) + Logitech x540
Power Supply CM 550w
Software W7 Ultimate 64
If you can borrow a LAN card, try it.
Goodluck...

I guess its still in relation to your previous thread. I was thinking about that too, if your board is limiting you to those speeds, why not get a separate lan card like 95 said? It would be cheaper than to get another board altogether. Try that and if everything fails... :toast:

System Name Bang4Buck
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard MSI PRESTIGE x570 CREATION
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S36
Memory 32Gb 4400Mhz Patriot Viper Steel(Samsung B-die) @ 3800Mhz 16-16-16-32-48-1T @ 1.38v
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X
Storage Adata SX8200Pro 512Gb/2x Crucial P1 1Tb/Samsung 840 EVO/6Tb Raid -HGST Enterprise/2x IronWolf 8Tb/
Display(s) Samsung UE49KS8002 4K HDR TV (US - 9 series)
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black Usb-C
Audio Device(s) HDMI out to Denon X4400H reciever, 2x Dali Zensor 7, Dali Zensor Vokal, 2x Dali Zensor 1, Yamaha Sub
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech K520
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/26216445
And up-ing the voltages does not help? NB, CPU, etc.

SwagBlow

@95viper, I have tried both of those things and neither worked... but thank you anyway :) And no I don't have anything in any other slots. Only my GTX460 in the PCI-Ex16 slot :)

And up-ing the voltages does not help? NB, CPU, etc.

Nope, doesn';t help.

Over the last hour or so I've discovered some interesting things.

First of all, using the Gigabyte EasyTune 6, no matter what clock speed my processor is at, it is unable to detect any frequencies higher than what it would take to get 3.4GHz, even if they're set way beyond that. For example:

See how the power on CPU speed (which I set in the BIOS) does not match any of the frequencies listed below it... because all of those frequencies correspond to the 3.4GHz clock I can achieve without losing my ethernet port. There seems to be some invisible forcefield past the 3.4GHz barrier which this board just cannot stand.

I got my CPU to 4GHz without even having to up the voltage to any components whatsoever, including my cheap RAM which had no problem running at almost 900MHz (despite being cheap 800MHz modules) and the best part is I didn't even have to stop there... I just felt no need to keep going as it was an unrealistic fantasy to have an overclock I can't use because I don't have internet. But shit, it's true what they say: these Xeon E3110s overclock like crazayyyyyyy on stock voltage

I guess I will now have a search around for a cheap ethernet card :) :toast:

HOWEVER there is one issue I have... my temps are always the same at idle. 35c Core 1, 34c Core 2

No matter what clock I am at, the core temperatures always stay the same (this is with realtemp) and the ambient temperature never seems to change them either... what's up with that?! HW Monitor is even worse, it reports 20c and 19c for the cores

Is this just because I haven't needed to change the voltage? Whenever I open something like firefox or start to open a program, the CPU usage can go anywhere near 30 or 40% without the temps changing... is that normal? My E6600 idle temps used to increase even with a gentle load of maybe 10% opening a program, hmm

I will also note that I played Crysis for a while very successfully while I was running at 3.8GHz just as a quick test to see if the PCI-E frequency had changed (therefore affecting the GTX460 in the PCI-E slot) but it ran absolutely fine with no issues at all, and this is with PCI-E Frequences set to Auto. I can therefore only assume that despite being set to Auto, it isn't actually overclocking the frequency. My problem must be something much deeper..

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess I will now have a search around for a cheap ethernet card :) :toast:

+1 IMO, that may be a winner...:toast:

HOWEVER there is one issue I have... my temps are always the same at idle. 35c Core 1, 34c Core 2

No matter what clock I am at, the core temperatures always stay the same (this is with realtemp) and the ambient temperature never seems to change them either... what's up with that?! HW Monitor is even worse, it reports 20c and 19c for the cores

Is this just because I haven't needed to change the voltage? Whenever I open something like firefox or start to open a program, the CPU usage can go anywhere near 30 or 40% without the temps changing... is that normal? My E6600 idle temps used to increase even with a gentle load of maybe 10% opening a program, hmm

Possibly:

A. Sensors are stuck - Run realtemps sensor test.

B. Is Realtemp and other software set for that processor (Correct TJ Max)

C. You have awesome cooling

SwagBlow

+1 IMO, that may be a winner...:toast:

Possibly:

A. Sensors are stuck - Run realtemps sensor test.

B. Is Realtemp and other software set for that processor (Correct TJ Max)

C. You have awesome cooling

They're definitely stuck, because it's night time now and the room is significantly colder... but they are still the same as they were during the day. I've run the sensor test, now what? RealTemp reports the TJMax as 100

Last edited: