• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Onboard LAN Disappears After 3.4GHz

SwagBlow

Basically I'm overclocking an Intel E8400 on a GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L

I got the chip to 3.6GHz on stock voltage and could've kept going, but then I realised my internet wasn't working... Onboard LAN had disappeared from Windows

I put it down to 3.5Ghz, still no internet. Then 3.4GHz, and hey presto my Onboard LAN appears in Windows again

So I went back to BIOS with my 3.4GHz overclock, and took the PCI-E frequency off auto, and set it to 100MHz... my PC would not boot. So I went back to BIOS again and upped the NB voltage, and still no boot. So I put the PCI-E frequency back to Auto and my PC booted up straight away

PCI-E standard frequency is 100MHz, so I don't understand why taking it off auto and setting it to 100MHz makes my PC fail to boot, even when I try extra voltage

Anybody have any ideas on this weird problem?

Oh and temps across both cores are 35c

EDIT: And I'm on the latest updated BIOS

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It sounds like the overclock is simply too much for it. Overclocking too much can lead to lots of odd problems like this. There's no one way to coax it work at the higher frequency; it's all trial and error and can take ages and end in frustration if this is a hard limit.

Heck, the BIOS got trashed on an Asus mobo I was overclocking hard a few years back. Had to RMA it for another.

SwagBlow

It sounds like the overclock is simply too much for it. Overclocking too much can lead to lots of odd problems like this. There's no one way to coax it work at the higher frequency; it's all trial and error and can take ages and end in frustration if this is a hard limit.

Heck, the BIOS got trashed on an Asus mobo I was overclocking hard a few years back. Had to RMA it for another.

Hmmm this happened with an E6600 I had in this board tho, so yea it's definitely the board.

But from reviews I've seen people have got this board to do amazing overclocks on similar chips, so if it really is true that mine just blows then that's kinda shiiiiit

Do you reckon they'd accept it as RMA if I said that my onboard LAN was failing after a minor overclock? Or does the manufacturer warranty not cover overclocking potential for a MOTHERBOARD (not the CPU, just the motherboard itself)

But I'm not convinced that this is the problem, because running at Auto = 100MHz and running at 100MHz = 100MHz so it's the same setting under a different name, yet it only boots as Auto

So it's not too much for a computer, it's just being a whiney little bitch

Is there a way to find out what my PCI-E Frequency sits at on Auto? Cos maybe it slightly differs from 100MHz!? Is there a way to find out what it is?

System Name Old Skool
Processor E6750 @ 3.6 ghz
Motherboard GA P35 DS3L
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283v
Memory 4gb Kingston DDR2 @ 900mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 9800GT 512MB
Storage SAMSUNG 320gb
Display(s) VIEWSONIC vx2260wm
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Realtek (on board) + Logitech x540
Power Supply CM 550w
Software W7 Ultimate 64
Do you reckon they'd accept it as RMA if I said that my onboard LAN was failing after a minor overclock? Or does the manufacturer warranty not cover overclocking potential for a MOTHERBOARD (not the CPU, just the motherboard itself)

Definite no, since as much as they promote OC to sell their boards, they say that OC negates your warranty in the manuals if it fries your board or whatever related. Now that depends on the manufacturers policies in different countries.

SwagBlow

Definite no, since as much as they promote OC to sell their boards, they say that OC negates your warranty in the manuals if it fries your board or whatever related. Now that depends on the manufacturers policies in different countries.

Hmm well I haven't fried it or anything, it's been like this since day 1

I always figured it was just the E6600 but now I know it's not...

But as I say, is there any way to find out what my PCI-E frequency is when it's set to auto? Cos that might help me troubleshoot

Just found another example of strange things happening with 100MHz on Gigabyte board

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1264496

In my BIOS, I have it set to Auto. Interestingly, when I set it to 100Mhz (the standard PCI-E speed), a couple of unusual things happen (my FSB boots at 332MHz instead of 333, for one).

But nobody seems to know how to find out what it is from Windows

System Name Old Skool
Motherboard GA P35 DS3L
Storage SAMSUNG 320gb
Case HAF 922
Power Supply CM 550w
Software W7 Ultimate 64
Yeah but when they will test the board, it will work fine afaik, so you'll be sent the board back. Anyways, might as well try, it never hurts to anyway. Good luck. Anyways, on GB boards, I always thought auto was 100. Doesn't it gray it out on the actual frequency?

SwagBlow

Yeah but when they will test the board, it will work fine afaik, so you'll be sent the board back. Anyways, might as well try, it never hurts to anyway. Good luck. Anyways, on GB boards, I always thought auto was 100. Doesn't it gray it out on the actual frequency?

Yea it says on the side in the description for what the toggle does "Standard PCI-Express Frequency is 100MHz. Setting it to anything higher than 100MHz may cause system instability" etc etc... but that doesn't necessarily say that setting Auto is 100MHz

But I need to know what it is so I can set that permanently, otherwise I'm never gonna be able to clock a chip that I know has amazing potential...

System Name Old Skool
Motherboard GA P35 DS3L
Storage SAMSUNG 320gb
Case HAF 922
Power Supply CM 550w
Software W7 Ultimate 64
Its a weird problem indeed. Maybe its an issue with your board. afaik, its a cheap one. Maybe you gotta get another if you want to get the maximum out of your chip.

SwagBlow

Its a weird problem indeed. Maybe its an issue with your board. afaik, its a cheap one. Maybe you gotta get another if you want to get the maximum out of your chip.

Yea but as I just showed with the link I posted, it's not just cheap boards with this problem :)

System Name Old Skool
Motherboard GA P35 DS3L
Storage SAMSUNG 320gb
Case HAF 922
Power Supply CM 550w
Software W7 Ultimate 64
Well after a lil research I found this on another forum and it came from a GB Forum mod :

Budget boards such as P31 or P43 will need PCIE set to above 100 for overclocking generally. Auto is not advised because when you raise the FSB the PCIE Freq will also increase automatically.

I suggest 100-110 as a safe range, but anything above 100 can damage your board/GFX Cards, and Hard drives. So it is all up to you, but manually set it for sure.

If you want to run 400 FSB, and have to use 118 I do not suggest that or you will damage something for sure. I suggest a new board, P35 if you do not have much money, or P45-UD3x models are all around $90-120

Hope this helps you. I for one never had a problem like that, so I can't help you more.

SwagBlow

Well after a lil research I found this on another forum and it came from a GB Forum mod :

Budget boards such as P31 or P43 will need PCIE set to above 100 for overclocking generally. Auto is not advised because when you raise the FSB the PCIE Freq will also increase automatically.

I suggest 100-110 as a safe range, but anything above 100 can damage your board/GFX Cards, and Hard drives. So it is all up to you, but manually set it for sure.

If you want to run 400 FSB, and have to use 118 I do not suggest that or you will damage something for sure. I suggest a new board, P35 if you do not have much money, or P45-UD3x models are all around $90-120

Hope this helps you. I for one never had a problem like that, so I can't help you more.

Thanks man :) Yea I don't wanna set it above 100MHz, fuck frying a GTX 460 just for an overclock

Oh well, guess I just wasted even more money buying a Xeon I can't overclock

*yay*

fuckin amazin, everything i buy just fucks up somehow... and it's never my fault

can you link me to the post or thread itself? that way if i did do something and something went wrong, i could at least say that someone from gigabyte suggested 100-110 as a safe range and quote them on it

System Name Bang4Buck
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard MSI PRESTIGE x570 CREATION
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S36
Memory 32Gb 4400Mhz Patriot Viper Steel(Samsung B-die) @ 3800Mhz 16-16-16-32-48-1T @ 1.38v
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X
Storage Adata SX8200Pro 512Gb/2x Crucial P1 1Tb/Samsung 840 EVO/6Tb Raid -HGST Enterprise/2x IronWolf 8Tb/
Display(s) Samsung UE49KS8002 4K HDR TV (US - 9 series)
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black Usb-C
Audio Device(s) HDMI out to Denon X4400H reciever, 2x Dali Zensor 7, Dali Zensor Vokal, 2x Dali Zensor 1, Yamaha Sub
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech K520
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/26216445
Have you tried flashing the newest bios. It might help with setting the pci-e mhz.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Set pci-e to 101mhz, or 104. This will not damage anything. 100mhz setting doesn't keep it locked.

the lan dropout is perfectly normal...give more chipset/SB volts. You get the same on AMD when pushing the FSB, but usually it's USB that goes first.

SwagBlow

Set pci-e to 101mhz, or 104. This will not damage anything. 100mhz setting doesn't keep it locked.

the lan dropout is perfectly normal...give more chipset/SB volts. You get the same on AMD when pushing the FSB, but usually it's USB that goes first.

I ordered a seperate Ethernet card instead, it was only £8 including delivery. Only thing is it works from a PCI-Ex1 slot, which I hope isn't affected by the PCI-E frequency being unstable. I shouldn't think so, because my GTX460 is in a PCI-E x16 slot and isn't having any problems. Trouble is, I had to go for a PCI-Ex1 slot because I can't access my PCI slots due to a dual slot cooler which actually seems to protrude into the bottom PCI slot a tad as well, but only a tiny bit. Wasn't worth buying a card that might not even fit in the slot.

I've managed to get up to 4.1GHz so far, I could keep going but I don't wanna put the volts more than stock, because then it's just hotter... and since I have no way of knowing how hot this thing is due to stuck temp sensors, I'm fine with a 4.1GHz overclock ha :)

This should hopefully be enough to match a stock i7, right? (apart from the fact I have less cores yea, but speed wise a 4.1GHz C2D should match an i7 at stock?)