• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crysis finally playable (Benchmark GTX 580 SLI)

Processor Intel Core i7-870 @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte P55A UD4P
Cooling CoolIT Water Cooling solution
Memory 2x2GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600MHz cas 8
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 580
Storage WD 320GB x2 in raid0
Display(s) Samsung 2253BW 22" Widescreen
Case APEVIA X-JUPITER Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
Power Supply OCZ modXtreme 700W modular
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Just think of the poor kid who saves up his pocket money to purchase that GTX280 just so that he can max out Crysis on V.High, only to find out that u were talking pish or that 'no frame rate problems' just means that you were perfectly happy with 25-35 FPS for the whole of the game (with no AA).

very good point, just because you were happy with ~30fps on crysis dosnt mean i am, i like games to play an avg 45+ and a min of 35-40 to be completely happy. I am completely happy with the 580 in SLI set up for crysis despite the fact that im selling one. but even one 580 at this resolution is enough to get me to finally play through the whole game.

one last thing, where can i get this .ini that improves performance?

This thread is -long ago- stuffed with crazy statements. First is showing off 2x 580's with such a tiny monitor... lol, then the Crysis dramaqueens (i finished it long ago and forgot about it), wow, and finally the "PC=pain, etc", sorry but
ha ha haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaa!

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Like panther and frick said! its only one game, the game itself wasn't that fun anyway. there are plenty of PC games that play every well on older systems that are a blast to play

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
very good point, just because you were happy with ~30fps on crysis dosnt mean i am, i like games to play an avg 45+ and a min of 35-40 to be completely happy. I am completely happy with the 580 in SLI set up for crysis despite the fact that im selling one. but even one 580 at this resolution is enough to get me to finally play through the whole game.

one last thing, where can i get this .ini that improves performance?

I'd recommend learning to tweak it yourself it you don't already
http://www.incrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=11614

I find a lot of settings can be upped since there is so many settings that you can lower without effecting things to much :D

This thread is -long ago- stuffed with crazy statements. First is showing off 2x 580's with such a tiny monitor... lol, then the Crysis dramaqueens (i finished it long ago and forgot about it), wow, and finally the "PC=pain, etc", sorry but
ha ha haaaaaaaa haaaaaaaaa!

at least give me credit for giving some kind of reference for this crazy hardware intensive game, despite my "tiny" monitor.

playing crysis on a bigger monitor on very high with AA is probably only possible with a 580 or something close in SLI

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I had no stress from Crysis.
I grabbed the Demo and I set the resolution at max (2560x1600) as well as all the settings.
It ran like a slideshow, so I moved on. :D

Life's to short to fret over one game.

It is kind of interesting that this game is still being used to judge hardware.

Oh ... and good job Plat. I found the thread interesting. :toast:

credit where i is due :) yeah, congrats for testing and sharing, really!

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
LOL, more $ than sense here. 2 GTX 580's for 1680x1050. Yeah, thats CPU limited 63 FPS.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
@Plat : I'll be happy to test the boards out at 2560x1600 for you. Just mail them across the little pond and I'll get started right away. ;)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Being a PC gamer is a stress ridden pain in the arse.

Or you could just lower the settings so that is is playable.

Set it to 1280x720 resolution, with medium textures, no texture filtering, and no AF. See how it plays then, because that is what your Xbox buddies are getting.:shadedshu

Everyone complains about how poor PC gaming is because you are forced into upgrades. No one is forcing you to do shit. If you are happy with the shitty graphics quality that you get with consoles, then you don't have to upgrade all that often with PCs. You don't have to play games at max graphics settings for them to be fun, and if the max graphics settings is what makes the game fun either the game isn't worth playing or you really aren't a gamer.

Like panther and frick said! its only one game, the game itself wasn't that fun anyway. there are plenty of PC games that play every well on older systems that are a blast to play

I actually enjoyed it greatly, but to each their own. I also played through and beat it with an x800XL...

Last edited:
@Plat : I'll be happy to test the boards out at 2560x1600 for you. Just mail them across the little pond and I'll get started right away. ;)

Or just mail me your monitor ;)

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg
System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
I actually enjoyed it greatly, but to each their own. I also played through and beat it with an x800XL...

My first play was 1440x900 with a HD4350 :laugh:

15-19 fps fortunately the dropped frames coincided with movement like running so it just seamed a bit more shaky than usual :laugh: well... aside from fights or breaking things that slowed down things even more than that :laugh: .

5fps-9 on the last level with settings on low :laugh:

( I really enjoyed it though!)

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
The fact that it takes two 580s in SLI to average 60 fps on a 1680x1050 monitor screams so much fail I can't even put it into words. Crysis sucks.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Crysis may go down in history as the epitome of inefficient coding for high-end, graphical eye-candy, but the fact that people still try to get it to work to their satisfaction says something too.

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Processor Intel i7 2600K @4.6Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3)
Cooling Noctua nh-u12p se2
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz 9-10-9-27
Video Card(s) POWERCOLOR HD 7970 3GB
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SSD / 2*320GB WDC RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung 226BW 21" 1650*1080
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Professional PCI
Power Supply OCZ PC Power & Cooling 860W
Software Windows 7 x64
Crysis may go down in history as the epitome of inefficient coding for high-end, graphical eye-candy, but the fact that people still try to get it to work to their satisfaction says something too.

Exactly.

With the advent of good online console gaming (360,PS3), if you are still an enthiusiastic PC gamer, chances are that you are also an obsessive performance freak, otherwise it would make much more sense to game on a console.

Although there are more stunning games around than Crysis these days (that also run a lot better), at its time, Crysis represented the pinnacle of what gaming technology could bring to the consumer and everyone wanted it running maxed on their system regardless of whether they fought the game was any good or not (I for one did think that the actual gameplay was fantastic). Not everyone knew at the time that the game was a poorly coded hardware raper, with many thinking that a maxed out stunning Crysis was just a GPU or CPU upgrade away, only to be badly dissapointed each time).

Crysis has been the ultimate 'cock-tease' in the world of PC gaming, having led millions of gamers down the exorbitantly expensive garden path of PC upgrades, only to laugh in thier faces and slam the door shut everytime.

Platinumyahoo's post is valuable (to fellow performance freaks) in that it shows just what a dirty whore Crysis is. 2*GTX 580 in SLI, and still imperfect performance although perhaps finally 'playable' in the highest settings.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
sigh and i find those that bash game engine code but cant see whats really going on to be even worse.
Cryteks Game Engine is actually state of the art and in terms of the image quality it can produce it is better currently then just about every game engine in use.

Areas that they failed in would be proper threading support as in crysis will use only 2 cores and those are not used effectively. As mussels stated in a couple threads DX9 and DX10 only use 1 thread for graphics aka feeding the gpu info from the cpu if given a DX11 overhaul where that limitation dosent exist would give in general a huge performance benefit. A way to look at it is the min fps in BC2 from dual to quadcore the minimum frame rate doubles. I wont say Crysis is a great game as thats opinion based but i can give a few facts.

The way crysis renders graphics is a bit different

Everything is Dynamically done where as in most games and in Crysis 2 it will be static

that means static lighting in some cases static shadows reflections.

Think of it in terms of the issue with Ray Tracing in games today the hardware needed is to high to make mainstream. Saying Crysis is horribly coded is in essence correct. But Crytek dosent create Direct X or determine how many threads it allows for certain things. They were also a bit to ambitious in terms of size and scope of which to add an entirely dynamic lighting system among other aspects. Call it what you want but to be blunt most here have no idea how much information is being crunched to render the eyecandy.

theres Diffuse (color maps) specular (highlights) normal maps, glow maps, alpha maps, complex shaders subsurface scattering effects, now roughly add all those to get a single character rendered now add in multiple enemies plants objects props water now add in the fact all of that is being lit dynamically much like standing in the sun or watching light shimmer on water its never static the difference is minimal in games to be sure, but we have currently hit the wall where every 5% in image quality we gain requires an exponential increase in rendering power.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
sigh and i find those that bash game engine code but cant see whats really going on to be even worse.
Cryteks Game Engine is actually state of the art and in terms of the image quality it can produce it is better currently then just about every game engine in use.

Areas that they failed in would be proper threading support as in crysis will use only 2 cores and those are not used effectively. As mussels stated in a couple threads DX9 and DX10 only use 1 thread for graphics aka feeding the gpu info from the cpu if given a DX11 overhaul where that limitation dosent exist would give in general a huge performance benefit. A way to look at it is the min fps in BC2 from dual to quadcore the minimum frame rate doubles. I wont say Crysis is a great game as thats opinion based but i can give a few facts.

The way crysis renders graphics is a bit different

Everything is Dynamically done where as in most games and in Crysis 2 it will be static

that means static lighting in some cases static shadows reflections.

Think of it in terms of the issue with Ray Tracing in games today the hardware needed is to high to make mainstream. Saying Crysis is horribly coded is in essence correct. But Crytek dosent create Direct X or determine how many threads it allows for certain things. They were also a bit to ambitious in terms of size and scope of which to add an entirely dynamic lighting system among other aspects. Call it what you want but to be blunt most here have no idea how much information is being crunched to render the eyecandy.

theres Diffuse (color maps) specular (highlights) normal maps, glow maps, alpha maps, complex shaders subsurface scattering effects, now roughly add all those to get a single character rendered now add in multiple enemies plants objects props water now add in the fact all of that is being lit dynamically much like standing in the sun or watching light shimmer on water its never static the difference is minimal in games to be sure, but we have currently hit the wall where every 5% in image quality we gain requires an exponential increase in rendering power.

Well whatever they did it wasnt that great. Two games were made from the engine so people who DID know what was going on still thought it sucked.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
not exactly mailman companies are in it to make a profit no matter how forward thinking a game engine might be if it cant be run on the lowest common denominator of systems it wont get used

why do you think bethesda still uses gamebryo engine after 7 + years.

why is Unreal Engine 2.0 still used today?

or the old but stalwart Id Tech 4 engine which saw use in Doom 3?

the industry uses what works best at the time on the greatest number of systems. Its also why companies dont change software often either

example we are using today 3ds Max 2011 yet Bethesda still uses Max 4 and 5 for there games which was released in 2002.

Another example of this is sure a Ferrari is fast but if your stuck behind grandpa on a single lane road and hes driving a beetle you stuck at his pace. that pace is much like PC hardware adoption most still use integrated or old DX9 gpus those with DX10 gpus are now underpowered by are standards and few are using decent DX11 gpus. as such we have the bleeding edge hardware sure but any company that comes out that stresses that hardware is instantly called out on bad programming etc, yet I really dont know anyone on TPU that can program better or who has the knowledge to do better myself included.

another way to look at it Toy Story in 1995 took 2hrs per frame 24 frames per second so every 1 second on toy story took 48hrs to render out now Cars released in 2005 took 15hrs per frame x 24fps = 360hrs for 1 second of animation for reference the difference in performance on hardware between 1995 and 2005 is 300x

what that means is Crytek did something fairly amazing in what they had built into the engine but at the time of its release it wasnt ready for prime time its an engine that should of hit the market in 2010 to have made sense.

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
not exactly mailman companies are in it to make a profit no matter how forward thinking a game engine might be if it cant be run on the lowest common denominator of systems it wont get used

why do you think bethesda still uses gamebryo engine after 7 + years.

why is Unreal Engine 2.0 still used today?

or the old but stalwart Id Tech 4 engine which saw use in Doom 3?

the industry uses what works best at the time on the greatest number of systems. Its also why companies dont change software often either

example we are using today 3ds Max 2011 yet Bethesda still uses Max 4 and 5 for there games which was released in 2002

So then what was the purpose of creating Crysis?

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
My first play was 1440x900 with a HD4350 :laugh:

15-19 fps fortunately the dropped frames coincided with movement like running so it just seamed a bit more shaky than usual :laugh: well... aside from fights or breaking things that slowed down things even more than that :laugh: .

5fps-9 on the last level with settings on low :laugh:

( I really enjoyed it though!)

1024x768@Low settings on the x800XL, of course it was on a monitor that only did 1280x1024 anyway. It actually looked better than a lot of games the x800XL played, even with the other games maxxed out setting wise.

When you started lowering settings, the performance to IQ was in line.

The fact that it takes two 580s in SLI to average 60 fps on a 1680x1050 monitor screams so much fail I can't even put it into words. Crysis sucks.

Again, ever so slightly lower settings, takes a hell of a lot less to run at 60FPS and still looks stunning. Hardly what I would consider "sucks".

Not really inefficient coding, but rather just allowing the engine to really use graphic horse power beyond what is reasonably necessary. If they just capped the engine settings at High and never really allowed it to be maxxed out people would still praise it for how good it looked and wouldn't bitch about it running like shit when "maxxed out".

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
well LAN most people dont care why something does X but not Y and why Y causes performance loss while X looks just as good. Most cant see the difference nor do they care to, as ive said Crysis may or may not be a good game thats for each person to decide on there own. As for what the engine is capable of is rather astounding.

dosent matter much i suppose tho most people dont care to understand why there hardware cant push a game instead they would rather scream this game sucks cause there leet hardware cant handle max settings. I agree with newtekie1 drop it done 1 notch and it runs fine.

I see it as if you want great graphics and companies to push the envelope and use your hardware then shut the hell up when they do and be thankfully there not spoon feeding you farmville

Benetanegia

Or you could just lower the settings so that is is playable.

Set it to 1280x720 resolution, with medium textures, no texture filtering, and no AF. See how it plays then, because that is what your Xbox buddies are getting.:shadedshu

Everyone complains about how poor PC gaming is because you are forced into upgrades. No one is forcing you to do shit.[...]

sigh and i find those that bash game engine code but cant see whats really going on to be even worse. [...]

not exactly mailman companies are in it to make a profit no matter how forward thinking a game engine might be if it cant be run on the lowest common denominator of systems it wont get used[...]

Very well put both. It's been long since I read something with some sense on this kind of topics. Ah. common sense... please could I take some and put it into a little bottle, so that I have one last reserve for when I finally run out of it due to all the nonsense in the internet?