• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Suggest a great 5.1 speaker system

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
^
You have to except that in the computing industry "great 5.1 speaker systems" do not exist.

You have to accept that the home cinema computer route is the only viable option.

Accept those facts, commit to buying a Hi-Fi system and set aside a budget, then I will commit to helping you decide on equipment.

I have to agree with this advice. Very true.

gallinazo

Ok guys, thanks so far for the input given. After a long absence dealing with warranty matters with logitech, Im here again for an extra round of questions.
In your experience guys,Which pack would you buy of the ones I listed??? (assuming of course you got experience with some of them)
As I said, I really dig the mirage omnis, at least on design & theoretical advantages, for I have no idea if they translate to the real world. Anybody knows if they sound REALLY GOOD???
Another contender I stumbled on recently is the B&W MT-30 If anybody has experience with this system, please post your insight.
Thanks in advance.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
The mirages sound very good. They aren't quite as faithful in accuracy of other speakers in their range, but their sound stage is very spacious.

I haven't heard that particular range of B&W speakers, but of the ones I did hear, they were very neutral and accurate.

Last edited:

gallinazo

Wile E a 1000 thanks for the comment :) thanks indeed.
About the MIRAGES, you mention a (little?) lack in accuracy but very spacious...I assume the spacious part comes from the acoustic lense tech, for "dispersing the sound uniformly not needing the sweet spot" & all that, which at the same time brings the "accuracy" angle, with such...immersive & surrounding sound tech one would have thought that shouldn't be a concern, then again, maybe thats a little complication of getting rid of the "sweet spot" for getting the spacious effect, though Im not an expert so those are just basic & quick guesses. Which brings me to the next question; due to your experience...Is that a "problem" with ALL the MIRAGE OMNIS?? Or just with some specific models??? Please elaborate if you can, for if it is something with the smaller speakers like the MX or nano maybe can be avoided with the bigger ones like the OMD-5 for example...perhaps?

And, based in your first hand experience, between the MIRAGEs & the B&W, Which combo would you choose?

By the way, after searching a bit, I found a possible location for auditioning the B&W :D I'll try to do it in the weekend...now...if I could only find some darn place where I could audition the other speakers :eek:

Processor 9900k @ stock (direct die)
Motherboard Aorus Master z390.
Cooling Dual Loop, Custom
Memory 16GB Corsair RGB Pro
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080Ti SEAHAWK EK X
Storage Samsung 960 512, Samsung 860 2TB, Sabrent Rocket 1TB
Display(s) Asus MG278Q/Acer XB270HA
Case MM U2-UFO Extended CYO
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense & AKG K550 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair HX1000i
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite
Keyboard Corsair K70 mk.2 Silent
Software Win 10 Pro X64
their is nothing more annoying that someone who spend's £1000 and a reciever and about £400 on speakers :mad:

it is always recommended to spend atleast double(if not more) on speakers vs your reciever cost(or amp)

i.e Reciever £200, Speaker package £400/£500, to get the most out of the unit

any yamaha 4+ series will do you just fine with that speaker package.

i run:
Onkyo 578 Reciever(package deal)
Tannoy SFX 7.1 Speakers(added 2 more)(package deal)
Philips 40PFL8605 (3D TV)
Panasonic DMPBDT100(3D Bluray)

just a hair under £2000

BTW, B&W Have Never Made A Bad Speaker! They are made to perfection.

Last edited:

SabreWulf69

System Name GET FUCKED
Processor GET FUCKED
Motherboard GET FUCKED
Cooling GET FUCKED
Memory GET FUCKED
Video Card(s) GET FUCKED
Storage GET FUCKED
Display(s) GET FUCKED
Case GET FUCKED
Audio Device(s) GET FUCKED
Power Supply GET FUCKED
Software GET FUCKED
Benchmark Scores GET FUCKED
I generally like all the B&W speakers. Some of the KEF stuff is really nice too. I personally want a set of the KEF Q700's for my mains (I only have a 2 channel setup personally [http://www.nrnl.org/post129.html#p129]). Using these you could then maybe have them matched to a REL T2 Subwoofer, and some KEF surrounds and a centre. Would be an epic setup.