• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Will my motherboard support Nvidia GeForce GT 430 ?

VIRUShooter

What I actually wanted to ask was that will I be able to play a game that requires 200 shaders minimum with my graphics card if I decrease the game settings? And yes I am planning to install windows7 too for playing Directx11. (It kept crashing the last time but now since I will get a new graphics card, I will try it again)

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
If you gonna buy one then go all out and get a GTX 460 so when you upgrade everything else then you will still have a decent card

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
How do you guys know he is running single channel RAM and not dual?

Intel Flex Memory allows dual channel operation with mixed RAM. Did it on my E2200 with the 9 series Intel chipset, on my previous Acer, and on my current i7. The link Tatty_one posted lists it as a feature on the 945G chipset as well.

Last edited:

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
He said he has one 2gb stick and one 1gb stick, which should work in dual channel mode fine. I'd like to see a CPUz shot of the mem tab to see what it says. I added info on Flex Mem in my previous post.

VIRUShooter

Yes I am running dual channel RAM(2+1) not single channel. You can see the pics I had posted on earlier page.

No one has answered about shaders

@ brandonwh64 That card is too costly. And I will also have to upgrade my psu if I buy a higher one(I have checked the molex). So this one is perfect. And I think it won't cause any heat issues either(just an exhaust fan will do). And btw I dont intend to buy new hardware upgrades anytime soon.

I also want to know is it ok if I connect my fan to a molex that is in kind of a typical parallel circuit with the one that I will connect my graphics card to. And can I attach just a 3pin to a 6pin molex?

Processor AMD R5 7600X
Motherboard Asrock X670E Pro RS
Cooling Noctua NH-15S
Memory 2*16 GB 5600 CL34
Video Card(s) XFX 6800XT 319 Merc
Storage Samsung 970 Evo
Power Supply Super Flower 850 Gold
Mouse Steelseries 310
well games don't really require xxx shaders , foe some graphic setting you need a certain compute power,power can be given by let's say a stock GT450, GTS 250,HD 5750,HD 4850, and so on as far as for buying a VGA a GTS450 or HD5750 should do the trick...or you could wait and hope Caicos will be cheap(and if you prefer nVidia it will anyway drop the price a 450)

VIRUShooter

@ Fishymachine Thanks for answering and also for the info. I really knew nothing about Caicos. I read somewhere now that those will be released in the first quarter of next year. But nothing about it is known yet(not even that its not fake). And btw I cannot wait that long either and I prefer to buy Nvidia only so I will stick to GTS 450. For the drop in price, I think its already worth it. Amazon is giving a $25 discount but I dont want to buy computer hardware online so I will just buy it from a store.

System Name Jaspe
Processor Ryzen 1500X
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming
Cooling Stock
Memory 16Gb Corsair 3000mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTS 450
Storage Crucial M500
Display(s) Philips 1080 24'
Case NZXT
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Enermax 425W
Software Windows 10 Pro
I just got a GTS 450 and it's a great little card; it does 980mhz on the core and 2300mhz on the memory and it's totally silent. An HD5770 is faster but a bit more expensive.

VIRUShooter

@ claylomax Hmm that may be a good card too but its costlier and I really can't spend more than this. And as you said GTS 450 is very silent, that's another small feature I'm buying this card for.

VIRUShooter

Okay I figured out about the molex. It actually comes with a six pin connector that connects directly to the PSU and the other end is twin headed which connects to the card. I'll just have to remove the one I have already.

VIRUShooter

Hi! Sorry but I was away for a few days.
I haven't bought the card yet. I was browsing through other cards and considered ATI cards. I found Sapphire HD 5670. Its cheaper than GTS 450 and is much better in performance and most of all it doesnt even require a power connector(The best card without extra power supply). So I'm planning to buy this one. There is only one drawback that it doesnt support PhysX very well but its alright to me.

VIRUShooter

Okay i'm lost again. Maybe the GTS 450 is much powerful than HD 5670. And I've been reading a lot of reviews that ATI cards pose a lot of compatibility issues with games. So the fact that Nvidia makes better drivers is very true. But the GTS 450 isn't actually as cheap as I had read somewhere. So maybe I will just have to buy HD 5670 afterall.

But anyway thanks everyone who helped a layman like me here. Your time and knowledge was very much appreciated. Thank You!

Okay i'm lost again. Maybe the GTS 450 is much powerful than HD 5670. And I've been reading a lot of reviews that ATI cards pose a lot of compatibility issues with games. So the fact that Nvidia makes better drivers is very true. But the GTS 450 isn't actually as cheap as I had read somewhere. So maybe I will just have to buy HD 5670 afterall.

But anyway thanks everyone who helped a layman like me here. Your time and knowledge was very much appreciated. Thank You!

When it comes to gamming, its not the video card's fault. Its down to the developer who designed the games to run on ATi / Nvidia. So, in my own opnion, some game industries HATE ATi / Nvidia. This will also effect the devlopment...

Secondly, if you are a hard-core gammer, then get yourself ATi HD Radeon edition and forget about Nvidia. Their drivers are worse than ATi brand. For example, Nvidia driver may cause BSOD. This is due to resource overload and causes one of the kernel file to fail - "ntdll.dll" or this file to fail- "nvlddmkm.sys."

Third, don't even think about Nvidia's PhysX technology. That is just junk to fill up your case and hog your system even if it uses multi-core!

Fourth, try and get Direct X11 video card. They are the latest technology for games... if you want. So, don't push back and think about it...

P.S. Getting a good video card is more rewarding and it will save more money in future! Please think about this...

Here are some card. They look good and cheap enough to play modern games. :)
Just look at the image...

Attachments

• GPU-card price.jpg
    GPU-card price.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

VIRUShooter

Thank you for all the information.
Yes I am only going to buy a Directx 11 card. The HD 5750 and HD 5770 are competent to GTS 450. But I have a couple of questions. Sapphire was my preferred ATI brand from what I had read so are these as good or does it make little difference? And I also want to know that can the voltage requirement of a card pose any problem if I have enough wattage? And as you must have read my system specs on the first page, do you think it will bottleneck this range of cards? I really have no strength to research more so please help me. Very grateful in advance.

System Name Big Beast
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3D
Motherboard Asus Strix x570-I Gaming
Cooling NZXT AIO
Memory Patriot Viper 16GB 3666MHz
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 7900XTX
Storage Lot's of it
Display(s) Samsung CHG70 27"
Case NZXT H1
Power Supply 850watt
Software Windows 11 Professional x64
1. PLEASE clean your heatsink on the CPU, take a q-tip or something and just wipe the dirt off the top of the fins so they get some airflow
2. XFX and HIS are good brands, XFX especially cause of the (double) lifetime warranty.

VIRUShooter

Okay I will do that. Actually I had cleaned the CPU wherever my hand could reach conveniently after I had posted those pics but I hadn't cleaned the fan quite. But now I will use q-tips to clean other small areas as well and they are surely very safe to use too. Thanks for this suggestion.
And thanks also for telling me about the double lifetime warranty. I was recently searching about GTS 450 variants and found about more than 30. So I was just totally confused as to what makes such a difference in their prices(even if they are of the same brand for ex. EVGA). And I found that some were factory overclocked and were very stable and some brands changed their cards' heatsinks too accordingly. Don't know what else is there that makes a difference. So I was thinking to overclock the card later myself probably by the company's own overclock tool at the frequencies specified on the factory overclocked cards rather than buy a factory overclocked card itself. The cards I'm considering are GTS 450, HD 5670, HD 5570 and HD 5770. Their ranking in performance is as below. I was thinking of buying HD 5670 which has no power connector and never overclock it but now maybe I will be buying a card with a connector. But I'm still clueless about the voltage stuff. I had posted a special pic of the info written on my PSU about voltage/wattage. So someone please check it out and tell me whether I'm in trouble
HD 5770
GTS 450
HD 5750
HD 5670

VIRUShooter

okay I've found what are volts and watts (had forgotten that)
I also searched a little on various companies that sell graphic cards and found that xfx does give double warranty but it costs more so probably won't be going for that one, and other company cards too seem to cost a little more for nothing. I think Sapphire is the best with price and quality. So I will most probably be buying a Sapphire HD 5770 (no vapor-x) as it fits my budget and performs well to suit my 19" and won't give any heat issues either. Will just have to buy a 4+4 to 6 molex, a fan and maybe will have to break open some spaces behind the cabinet.

VIRUShooter

I have a little question. I see no place to fix the graphics card with a screw. I only have a single support at the base of the PCI-E slot like the ones that keep the RAM in its place. So I wanted to ask that since graphics cards are much heavier is it possible that it would just break someday because of its weight?

I guess I'll just tie it with a thread to one of the exhaust holes behind the cabinet to hold it up.

Last edited:
System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps

that's where you'll mount the card to the case once its in the slot. The plates in the back can come off.

As for your power supply... you have a total of 22A available between the 2 12v rails (8A + 14A). If i'm correct to figure out the power needed for the GTS450, nvida states is uses at most 106w, knowing its supplied by 12v... 106 / 12 = ~8.84Amps. You should be ok... a bit close tho but ok. The rest of your hardware isn't too power demanding.

edit:

+ the 106w of the GTS450 and you'll be using just under 300watts total so you should be fine

Edit 2: I plugged in the cards you listed into that Power supply calculator and the GTS450 was the most power demanding of them, so you should be fine with any of those cards... HD5770, GTS450, HD5750, HD5670

Attachments

• screw-holes.jpg
    screw-holes.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 583
  • config2.jpg
    config2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 556
Last edited:

VIRUShooter

I also wanted to know whether it will be fine if I selected maximum power savings in link state power management under PCI Express on advanced power management options.

(I use power options a lot. I use power saver when the computer is just downloading and the monitor is off, balanced in general, and high performance for games and I have allocated maximum, moderate and none power savings to them respectively)

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
yea i play starcraft 2, I have vsync on so the bug doesn't affect me. also i'm using my integrated card... had to sell the 9600GT. Needless to say the little 3200 when running starcraft 2 is never waiting for things to do lol

i'm pretty sure you'll be fine with the power setting... hopefully it'll realize when it needs the extra power when gaming.

VIRUShooter

I have another question. As the ports of the graphics card will come right in front of those plates at the back, so must I break those plates open and attach my monitor to it. But I think my monitor has a VGA port (its blue coloured) and GTS 450 doesn't have a VGA port. It just has HDMI and some HDCP. So would I have to buy some VGA to HDMI port? And also, is it absolutely necessary to connect the monitor to the graphics card?

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I have another question. As the ports of the graphics card will come right in front of those plates at the back, so must I break those plates open and attach my monitor to it. But I think my monitor has a VGA port (its blue coloured) and GTS 450 doesn't have a VGA port. It just has HDMI and some HDCP. So would I have to buy some VGA to HDMI port? And also, is it absolutely necessary to connect the monitor to the graphics card?

Usually the card will come with a DVI>VGA adaptor