• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need list of usb bootable Operating Systems

John Phoenix

I am looking for a good list of operating systems you can run from a usb or dvd.

If not a list, then folks can just post their top picks.

I want these to run from the usb/dvd without installing on the system or getting in the way of the system that exists on the hard drive.

Thanks in advance.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
A fair amount of linux distros can run from the USB or CD. Cracked versions of windows can as well. In addition, if you want to waste a key, you can install Windows to your USB drive.

streetfighter 2

In addition to what PVTCaboose said you can even do OS X! I forget how but I've seen it with my own eyes. Cool stuff :)

Almost any live CD/DVD image can be converted to a live USB using a tool like UNetbootin (it works with pretty much any bootable ISO and not just linux so stop asking me!).

Last edited:

John Phoenix

I knew there were slimmed down versions of Linux that would work off of USB but windows? wow I'm going to have to research that some more.

John Phoenix

In addition to what PVTCaboose said you can even do OS X! I forget how but I've seen it with my own eyes. Cool stuff :)

Almost any live CD/DVD image can be converted to a live USB using a tool like UNetbootin (it works with pretty much any bootable ISO and not just linux so stop asking me!).

I will look into UNetbootin. I have looked and looked for a windows xp live cd and cannot find any. There are ways to do it but all seem very complicated and some may be outdated. I would not know which method to try - But a windows xp would be my choice of systems to do this with.

OS X ? Isn't that as about as useful to a windows guy as a Timex Sinclair or a Texas Instruments TI-99 ?

http://oldcomputers.net/ts1000.html - Timex Sinclair

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Instruments_TI-99/4A - Texas Instruments Ti 99

I'm just pulling your leg but I did play with both of these back in the day. These were home computers before the PC came out. If Timex would have stuck to it, we could have pc's on our wrist watches by now.

Processor Q9550 @3.8
Motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme
Cooling Custom water cooling
Memory 4GB Patriot Viper DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) 2x HD4870 512MB
Storage 2x 500GB
Display(s) 3x LG L226WTQ 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Modded TJ07
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply PC P&C Silencer 750
Software Windows 7 Ultimate