• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

PS3 might not hit Europe until September

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
You guys can argue all you want over 360 and PS3, but as an owner of all 3 consoles, I'll take XboxLive over PS3's online service any day - and you have to pay $50 for XBL. The community MS has built with XBL won't be beat by Nintendo, Sony, and probably not even by the PC. It's so easy to add someone you're playing with to your friends list, and you can easily invite them to any game, send video messages, voice messsages etc. Before this fall, I'd only been playing CoD2 since the relase (I own it for PC also) but the XBL makes it so easy and fun to play with your friends, and strangers from all over the world.

As far as bang for the buck is concerned, with the xbox360, you get more Fun for the buck, then the PS3 has to offer... I'll pay a little bit more to have a lot more fun.

Online PC gaming is certainly far superior to Xbox Live. The only advantage Xbox Live has is one buddy list for every game, but tools like Xfire essentially do that for you. And online PC gaming is free.

overcast

Processor AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7ghz Stock Voltage
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Cooling Stock Opteron
Memory OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum 2GB
Video Card(s) ATI X1900XTX
Storage 2 x Western Digital 74gb Raptors
Display(s) NEC 990B 19"
Case Antec P150
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic S12-500
Software XP 32bit
You guys can argue all you want over 360 and PS3, but as an owner of all 3 consoles, I'll take XboxLive over PS3's online service any day - and you have to pay $50 for XBL. The community MS has built with XBL won't be beat by Nintendo, Sony, and probably not even by the PC. It's so easy to add someone you're playing with to your friends list, and you can easily invite them to any game, send video messages, voice messsages etc. Before this fall, I'd only been playing CoD2 since the relase (I own it for PC also) but the XBL makes it so easy and fun to play with your friends, and strangers from all over the world.

As far as bang for the buck is concerned, with the xbox360, you get more Fun for the buck, then the PS3 has to offer... I'll pay a little bit more to have a lot more fun.

World of Warcraft...there I just beat the entire XBOX Live community, and every game console community combined.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
You guys can argue all you want over 360 and PS3, but as an owner of all 3 consoles, I'll take XboxLive over PS3's online service any day - and you have to pay $50 for XBL. The community MS has built with XBL won't be beat by Nintendo, Sony, and probably not even by the PC.

I will agree that the Xbox360 is a lot better in the online gameplay department. However, the PS3 is a lot better than the PS2 was, and looks interesting. However, I will not agree with you that it is better than the PC online community, it isn't even close. In fact consoles don't beat PCs in a single aspect of gameplay. However, I don't generally like to compare the two directly, they are two completely different beasts.

As far as more fun for the buck, right now I will agree the Xbox360 takes that prize, simply because it has been out a year and by far as more games. However in terms of which console has the most pontential to be fun and looks, to me, like it will be the most fun in the future, the Xbox360 comes in last. Though before making a final judgement I will be waiting for all three to be out a year, who knows what the future will really hold.

Benpi

Processor AMD X2 4400+
Memory 2G
Video Card(s) 7950 GX2
Storage 2x 74g 10000rpm Raid:0
Display(s) Dell 1920x1200 widescreen
Software 3dmark06 score: 7650
i agree, however, xbox360 is just getting started. anyway, according to this post, the PS3 will have been released for one year by the time it's released in Europe. It's a hoot 'n a holler playing CoD2 with a bunch of POME's and Frenchies :)

Last edited:

Benpi

Processor AMD X2 4400+
Memory 2G
Video Card(s) 7950 GX2
I've been playing PC online since I was 5 years old (BBS games(I'm 21)). Trust me, I'm a hardcore fan of online games. The problem with online games on the PC, is there's a different community for every game. With xbox live, you can chat with the same group of friends from CoD2, and then invite them to your GoW game. I can't easily invite my friends from Age of Empires III to my BF2142 game esily without exiting the program and sending them an e-mail, hoping that they will receive it instantly. I love PC gaming, and I think that comparing an individual game on the PC to a Console, PC has console beat by far, but overall, it's so much easier to talk to people on xbox live then it is on a PC game - where you have to download ventrillo and type in some address.... and still you can't talk to most people in the game, like you can on XBL.

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
System Name TOO MUCH RADIATOR! | The TV Box a.k.a. The Shoebox
Processor Core i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz | Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Cooling Custom water on CPU and GPU, dual 360mm radiators | Corsair H80i
Memory 4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-1600 | 2x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 4 DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD R9 295x2 | PowerColor AMD HD7970
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Display(s) Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS | Panasonic TC-L32E5 1080p IPS TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Power Supply LEPA G1600-MA 1600W | Corsair CX750M 750W
Software Win 10 64
Benchmark Scores over 9000 BungholioMarks, "Bitchin' Fast"
wow, so europeans hafta wait a little longer for a $500-600 doorstop... sux to be them... or not.

Random Murderer

The Anti-Midas
System Name TOO MUCH RADIATOR! | The TV Box a.k.a. The Shoebox
Processor Core i7 4930K @ 4.5GHz | Core i5 6600K @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Asus Z170i Pro Gaming
Cooling Custom water on CPU and GPU, dual 360mm radiators | Corsair H80i
Memory 4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-1600 | 2x 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 4 DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD R9 295x2 | PowerColor AMD HD7970
Storage Samsung SSD 830 256GB, various others | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID1
Display(s) Dell U2713HM 2560x1440 IPS | Panasonic TC-L32E5 1080p IPS TV
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51 (stripped down to hold two radiators) | Cooler Master Elite 130
Audio Device(s) RM-DAC -> Xiang Sheng 708b -> Sennheiser HD650 | HDMI sound device on 7970
Power Supply LEPA G1600-MA 1600W | Corsair CX750M 750W
Software Win 10 64
Benchmark Scores over 9000 BungholioMarks, "Bitchin' Fast"
D

Deleted member 24505

1080p is not a smart resolution to target in any form this generation, but if 360 developers wanted to get serious about 1080p, thanks to Xenos, could actually outperform the ps3 in 1080p. (The less efficient GPU always shows its weaknesses against the competition in higher resolutions so the best way for the rsx to be competitive is to stick to 720P) In vertex shader limited situations the 360’s gpu will literally be 6 times faster than RSX.

very nice.

after reading that,its no contest.specially on graphics,the xbox360 smashes the pos3.

Azn Tr14dZ

Processor AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard DFI LanParty nf4 Ultra-D
Cooling Thermaltake Big Typhoon
Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon X800XL
Storage 2x80GB Western Digital
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster
Power Supply Ultra X-Finity 500 Watt
One another note, the second revision of the XBOX360 is due early next year which supposedly is to include HDMI. The larger hard drive, I believe makes absolutely no difference. The wireless would be nice though , and should have been an included feature. Though I've wired all the rooms in my house, so this isn't a big issue with me. I've also read somewhere that current XBOX360 games are barely consuming half of the dual layer DVD's they are printed on. I can't see Bluray or HDDVD capacity required anywhere in this generation of consoles. If PC's games can do just fine with one DVD worth of content, consoles certainly can. Current gen consoles should have absolutely no problem dealing with decompressing large textures with the amount of power available to them.

Finally, the Playstation 3 has a Bluray player in it, because Sony is pushing their proprietary format as hard as they possibly can. It has nothing to do with developers requesting more capacity. The inclusion of that player is very obviously being reflected on the consumer price.

These are just rumors, know one really knows if Microsoft will release an HDMI Cable, or a new revision of an Xbox 360 w/ HDMI and/or HD DVD. And the pics on the internet are all backwards, and look nothing like the Xbox 360 motherboard. We never really know until Microsoft announces something. But there is also a possibility that the Xbox 360's GPU can support HDMI as it is without changing a thing, all we need to do is wait.

I just got my Xbox 360 a week ago, and definitely no regrets or second thoughts when I bought it, better games (for now), better online experience, and no extra accessories that I do not need. It's perfect for me. And you can even talk to people playing other games. If I'm playing Gears of War, I can voice chat with my friend in Rainbow Six Vegas, very simple and easy to perform tasks on Xbox Live. And Xbox 360 has gone through so many updates, including the new 1080p Fall Update. Also, if some of you think 20GB is too small, Microsoft can just release a 40GB or 60GB+ Hard Drive. They are laptop hard drives enclose, so it shouldn't be hard to change it.

And all this Blu-Ray HD DVD arguments. Yeah, so what if PS3 has integrated Blu-Ray? I wouldn't want to ruin the reader by watching many movies. I'd rather have an external drive (HD DVD for Xbox 360) for movies alone than combine movies and games on one drive. It would really ruin the lasers. And what if Blu-Ray loses to HD DVD, what will Sony do? If HD DVD does lose to Blu-Ray, Microsoft can just stop HD DVD and also release an external Blu-Ray Drive, and Microsoft even said that it's possible

FACT: The company that holds the patents for Blu-Ray is a supporter of HD DVD.

Last edited:

Benpi

Processor AMD X2 4400+
Memory 2G
Video Card(s) 7950 GX2
I just read that GTA4 and Resident Evil 5 are will both be released on XB0X36O. I also just read that GoW sold 2 million copies in 6 weeks. If I was a developer with $money on my mind, I'd think twice before agreeing to release my game only on the PS3. I think there's a good chance we'll see Final Fantasy 13 being released on the Xbox360..... which would leave almost no reason to buy a PS3.

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
I've been playing PC online since I was 5 years old (BBS games(I'm 21)). Trust me, I'm a hardcore fan of online games. The problem with online games on the PC, is there's a different community for every game. With xbox live, you can chat with the same group of friends from CoD2, and then invite them to your GoW game. I can't easily invite my friends from Age of Empires III to my BF2142 game esily without exiting the program and sending them an e-mail, hoping that they will receive it instantly. I love PC gaming, and I think that comparing an individual game on the PC to a Console, PC has console beat by far, but overall, it's so much easier to talk to people on xbox live then it is on a PC game - where you have to download ventrillo and type in some address.... and still you can't talk to most people in the game, like you can on XBL.

Get Xfire - it lets you have a list of friends and tracks which game they are playing, allowing them to send and receive instant messages in-game. As for exiting a game, surely you have to put a different disk in the Xbox and reboot it which probably takes even longer...

Edit: and if you want to use voice chat, use teamspeak (you might even be able to use voice via Xfire, all of this for free.

overcast

Cooling Stock Opteron
Display(s) NEC 990B 19"
Case Antec P150
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software XP 32bit
I just read that GTA4 and Resident Evil 5 are will both be released on XB0X36O. I also just read that GoW sold 2 million copies in 6 weeks. If I was a developer with $money on my mind, I'd think twice before agreeing to release my game only on the PS3. I think there's a good chance we'll see Final Fantasy 13 being released on the Xbox360..... which would leave almost no reason to buy a PS3.
I'll believe any of this when I see it. Especially the FinalFantasy bit. Everyone may knock the shit out of the PS3 and carry on about how much it costs, but they will have some fantastic exclusive games, that's a fact. The XBOX360 is fantastic as well, but they just don't get the exclusives they need. Their crossplatform games have all been impressive though. I'm not exactly sure about all the angst towards the PS3? Why do you care? Do you have stock in competing consoles? Are you employees of competing consoles?

Final Fantasy
God of War
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil
GTA

Those alone are enough to make me eventually jump on board.

Azn Tr14dZ

Final Fantasy has such a following, that it doesn't matter what console that went exclusive with. It would sell a bagillion copies regardless.

How exactly are you going to "really ruin the lasers" by playing another video blu-ray disc, as opposed to playing a game blu-ray disc? That's just a silly argument. If anything I'd say games would put more strain on the laser. Usually you aren't watch moving ALL day, and at under 2 hours - it would be getting far less use than someone cranking away at a game all day.

What the hell are you talking about? Sony owns the patent to blu-ray, they are now an HD-DVD supporter??? That's news to me!

newbielives

Overcast >>>> I'm not exactly sure about all the angst towards the PS3? Why do you care? Do you have stock in competing consoles? Are you employees of competing consoles?
<<<<<

I think it's more of a case that Sony was bragging and telling so many lies, that you just want to seem them fail.

Does anyone really hate Ps3?
No, but the Sony fanboys that spread their lies like zombies get really irritating.

PS3 has better graphics -> currently most games play with worst framerate and lower res textures then 360
PS3 has faster load times -> currently load times are even with 360 when cache and worst when not cached due to slow ass reading speed of blu ray drive.
PS3 running games in 1080P -> If you count the really garbage looking Sony NBA game or the CHOPFEST of NBA 2K7 in 1080p mode.

PS3 running games in 60fps and greater ->Resistance runs at 30fps because Insomniac has to lower the framerate to give processing power to effects. Huh?

I will eventually buy SONY PS3 because I need to play Gran Turismo 5 no matter the cost, but it's still annoying reading lies from Sony and their fans.

All I Want For Xmas Is A PSP

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
PS3 has faster load times -> currently load times are even with 360 when cache and worst when not cached due to slow ass reading speed of blu ray drive.

I just have to correct you on this one part. The Blu-Ray drive transfer speed is currently the fastest out of any of the Consoles. So it's "slow ass read speed" is the fastest read speed used in any console currently.

newbielives

Too bad newtekie1 your misinformed

By the way does Sony pay you?

Jaboo wrote:
Butcher this.

CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray have different Data Transfer Rate, and Access Times. Blu-Ray is also backward compatible to DVD, so it is not like your DVD collection will be wasted. Let me put a chart here so people can more understand this.

These are the 1x Data Transfer Rate of the 3 main formats.
CD- 150 KBps (150,000 bytes) CLV http://www.pcguide.com/ref/cd/perfTransfer-c.html
BD- 36 Mbps>4.5MBps (4,500,000 bytes) using CAV http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.7
DVD- 1.32 MBps (1,385,000 bytes)(Equivilant to a 9x CD) http://www.osta.org/technology/dvdqa/dvdqa4.htm

If you are wondering what the 360 Transfer Rate is on its 12x DVD, it is 16,620,000 bytes per second.

x2BD will most likly be the min because movies recuire atleast 54 Mbps.

PS3 Specs 2x BD (edited by newbielives)
x2BD- 72Mbps>9 MBps (9,000,000) bytes

Message Edited by Jaboo on 02-12-200607:06 PM

newbielives

LoL who's talking about movies?

360's 12x DVD Rom is roughly 16MB/sec while PS3's 2x Blue Ray reads at roughly 9MB per sec.

This is about loading times in games, not movies.

Bluray is 36Mbps while HD-DVD is 36.55Mbps. HD-DVD is different to DVD, so you should really be using that when talking about movies.

Source: http://www.verbatim.com/optical/pdfs/Blu-ray_HD_DVD_FAQs.pdf

Therefore, if your 54Mbps figure is correct, no next generation format will be able to play movies at 1x.

edit: Also 72Mbps=9MBps

Last edited:

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
How exactly are you going to "really ruin the lasers" by playing another video blu-ray disc, as opposed to playing a game blu-ray disc? That's just a silly argument. If anything I'd say games would put more strain on the laser. Usually you aren't watch moving ALL day, and at under 2 hours - it would be getting far less use than someone cranking away at a game all day.

What the hell are you talking about? Sony owns the patent to blu-ray, they are now an HD-DVD supporter??? That's news to me!

Well, a company that holds patents to Blu Ray Laser System Patent, The Nichi Corporation, is a supporter of HD DVD at the moment. I never said that Sony supported HD DVD did I? And also, Apple, which is a backer of Blu Ray, supports HD DVD authoring in it's software, but not Blu Ray. Why is this?

And about the lasers, didn't some PlayStation 2s start working improperly because of extensive DVD Movie use/watching? Who says the same can't happen to the PS3's Blu Ray drive? This is why I like the option of having an External HD DVD Player.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
And about the lasers, didn't some PlayStation 2s start working improperly because of extensive DVD Movie use/watching?

No, that was never the case. The lasers started working improperly because they were made poorly. It had nothing to do with using the systems to play DVD movies. People just blamed it on playing movies because they had nothing else to blame it on, and people like to feel like they have some sort of control.

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Well, that one I could be wrong on, but still not too sure (thanks for pointing that out), but others I believe are right on point.

overcast

Cooling Stock Opteron
Display(s) NEC 990B 19"
Case Antec P150
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software XP 32bit
Well, a company that holds patents to Blu Ray Laser System Patent, The Nichi Corporation, is a supporter of HD DVD at the moment. I never said that Sony supported HD DVD did I? And also, Apple, which is a backer of Blu Ray, supports HD DVD authoring in it's software, but not Blu Ray. Why is this?

And about the lasers, didn't some PlayStation 2s start working improperly because of extensive DVD Movie use/watching? Who says the same can't happen to the PS3's Blu Ray drive? This is why I like the option of having an External HD DVD Player.
They own the patent to the laser system that the blu-ray technology uses. I just want to make that clear. That's a bit different, than a company like Sony that put their entire stake into the Blu-Ray technology itself.

Azn Tr14dZ

Memory 2x512MB GeIL
Display(s) HP vs17
Case SuperTalent
Sorry I didn't make that clear, but yeah, Nichi holds the patent to the Laser, not Blu-Ray itself...but still, it makes you think.

overcast

Cooling Stock Opteron
Display(s) NEC 990B 19"
Case Antec P150
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Software XP 32bit
Sorry I didn't make that clear, but yeah, Nichi holds the patent to the Laser, not Blu-Ray itself...but still, it makes you think.
But remember, HD-DVD uses the same exact blue-violet laser. They just use two different sets of optics. Blu-ray uses has a tighter track pitch, thus more data, more expensive/complex manufacturing costs, higher consumer costs etc etc.