• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to enable additional shaders on Radeon HD 6950

Status
Not open for further replies.

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
Wow Core voltage @ 1.8 :eek: ?

Yeah my bad, meant 1.180v. Fixed it in the other post.

I'm not sure why, but the combination of Trixx and RBE just didn't seem to work well for me. Constant problems.
MSI AB seems to work better, at least at 900/1375 for now

Last edited:

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
I am running just the shader modded bios with my clocks set at the CCC max of 840, have been doing that for a few days without issue, I just wanted to take things slowly to start. Anyways, I thought it was about time I started pushing a little further so to start the process, last night I raised 3D voltages a little in the Bios using RBE but no matter what I did I got driver errors in Windows on boot up basically saying that there was an issue and therefore windows would not load the driver. Now I don't know if I am raising the voltage in RBE wrongly but I tried different approaches either simply putting 1.15V in the clock tables under the 800/1250 entry, using the overclock button thingy and changing the register as well, or a combination of all of them..... can anyone who has increased the volts through RBE shed some light on what method worked for them please.

itsdanny

I am running just the shader modded bios with my clocks set at the CCC max of 840, have been doing that for a few days without issue, I just wanted to take things slowly to start. Anyways, I thought it was about time I started pushing a little further so to start the process, last night I raised 3D voltages a little in the Bios using RBE but no matter what I did I got driver errors in Windows on boot up basically saying that there was an issue and therefore windows would not load the driver. Now I don't know if I am raising the voltage in RBE wrongly but I tried different approaches either simply putting 1.15V in the clock tables under the 800/1250 entry, using the overclock button thingy and changing the register as well, or a combination of all of them..... can anyone who has increased the volts through RBE shed some light on what method worked for them please.

You should adjust the voltages only via the GPU registers, take a look at this post:
How to enable additional shaders on Radeon HD 695...

f0d

i used the gpu registers

DJManiac

i used the gpu registers

And ONLY the GPU registers?

Do NOT change anything else regarding Clocks/Fan/Pulldownmenu under Clocks....

Only GPU register do work properly at the moment.
As my experience VID4 is 3D

And do not play to much with the other VID (in GPU register): I tried to lower 2D VID from 900mV to 800mV but this gave me a blackscreen after boot/Winlogo.... But 850mV on 2D works... Just keep in mind that those VIDs are very sensitive....

DJManiac

Yeah, Trixx probably disables the use of the PowerControl slider in CCC. Why, I don't know, but from what I know Afterburner does as well. If your using Afterburner instead of Trixx, for the same MHZ, does your GPU speed get throttled down? What bios are you using, what clocks are you using during throttle down, and what program are you using to set your clocks when they DONT get throttled down?

Finally I found a quite good solution for me....

1.) VID4 1250 mV via RBE
2.) FAN curve via Afterburner
3.) OC via ATI Tray Tools with 2D (250/150) and (960/1500) Profiles, autoset from ATT

This is the only solution for me at the moment which gives my full OC Control and +20% Power Control boost and automaticly 2D/3D clock switching....

And another nice "feature" is that with the use of ATT the UVD clocks will not go to 500/1375 anymore - which are even too high in my opinion - while playing 1080p mkvs card stays now at cold and silent 250/150 @ 5-15 GPU usage.... NICE!

Processor i5 4670K @4.4GHz 1.239V
Motherboard Asus Z87M-PLUS
Cooling High Pressure Fan System
Memory 24GB DDR3 2400MHz
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290 4GB
Storage 256GB Samsung 830, 500gb WD Blue 7200rpm
Display(s) 23inch Dell LCD
Case Silverstone Sugo SG10B
Power Supply Antec TP-750
Software Windows 10
Is BFBC2 a good test of memory clocks? I still havent chnged the voltage and am on 880MHz core and 1320MHz memory, max temperature seen so far in BFBC2 is 67C, is there something wrong?

You would be surprised but when you play the sims 3 on max settings it can get VERY slow (seen 4fps with hd 6950), I am impressed with this overclock it has realy improved things in it, gna push for 1375MHz.

Last edited:
Memory 24GB DDR3 2400MHz
Software Windows 10
How do I know if the Card is throttling back? In the GPU-Z log file it shows constant clocks of 880MHz and 1375Mhz for core and memory, using 6950 unlocked shader bios, but Im getting this on the stock voltage of 1.1V.

Is this normal, can anyone else get this? I dont see how it can be right

itsdanny

Well, check the MIN & MAX in GPU-Z. Or monitor it with a drawn graph... (or simply use Afterburner). How is it not right? It shows that you can run 6970 clocks on stock 6950 voltage. Nothing is wrong with that. One thing I'd like to ask though, test if needed, but what are your max clocks (core/mem) on stock 1.1v and retaining stability in benchmarks/games?

Memory 24GB DDR3 2400MHz
Software Windows 10
Well, check the MIN & MAX in GPU-Z. Or monitor it with a drawn graph... (or simply use Afterburner). How is it not right? It shows that you can run 6970 clocks on stock 6950 voltage. Nothing is wrong with that. One thing I'd like to ask though, test if needed, but what are your max clocks (core/mem) on stock 1.1v and retaining stability in benchmarks/games?

Sorry but ull understand that I dont want to push the card anymore than it is. Im happy with a 6950@6970 clock speeds with 6950 unlocked bios, it was what I was aiming for lol means I have 6970 performance for 6950 price!

Just run 3dmark11 and got these results, dont know how they stack up next to other peoples 6950 mods:

P5019
Graphics Score 4869

Last edited:
Processor 5700X
Motherboard ASRock Gaming X
Memory 2x8 3600 CL14
Video Card(s) 1080 SEAHAWK
Display(s) ViewSonic XG2703-GS
The Slider is still on +20% but in Furmark I get lower FPS that before.... The slider wont work when TRIXX is running... cant change it or save it - Jumps evertime back...

If I close TRIXX and move the Power Control slider and save it frame are back again in Furmark... If I start then TRIXX everthing looks like on function now...

But if I do a restart Frame in Furmark are again low. Frames are looking like if Power Control slider is on 0%... But the slider is set on +20%....

Any suggestions?

Which version of Trixx do u use ?
I dont have throlle with 10.12a@20% and Trixx 3.02 (i will check tonight to be sure at 100%)

When looking for max GPU speed, set the RAM frequency to its default. Then use Furmark to stress the core. Look for "black outs", where the screen goes black then back to normal. That is one sign of too high GPU speed. Also halt of stress test, bluescreen or restart. If you get any "driver has recovered..." messages, that too was caused by too high core freq.

Again, remember to test for max GPU speed and mem speed seperatly. Also, some game may stress the card even more, so 900MHz furmark stable may only be 870MHz stable in you favorite game.

I can recommend Starcraft II for testing both GPU and mem.

You'r right, my 6950 is fine in every bench/games at 900@default voltage but I have random freeze in SCII (and every times a have to reboot :()

Last edited:
Memory 24GB DDR3 2400MHz
Software Windows 10
When overclocking with Trixx, When I open CCC overdrive the core and memory overclocking bars have disappeared and clocks are not shown. Also the power bar is there but when I slide it to +20% it will slide back after about a second unless I quickly click apply. Anyone else experience this?

b0unc3r82pl

Processor Q6950
Motherboard Abit EP35-DS4
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 6 GB
Video Card(s) 2 x 6950 with Shaders Unlock
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 60 GB System / some others
Display(s) U3011
Case Chieftec BH-01
Audio Device(s) on board :p
Power Supply OCZ ZX Series 850W
Software Windows 7 / others
Hi to All at the beggining :p

I bought 2 Gigabyte GV-R695D5-2GD-B cards after reading the article here. Both were modded using Unlock Shaders Script only. Then DriverSweeper and brand new AMD Catalyst drivers 10.12 (old style) were installed. At the end pushed clock of both to max allowed by CCC - 840 MHz for core. Memory stays at default. Power + 15%

Wont tell You exact benchmarks scores because my CPU isn't so powerful as yours :] It's only E8400 @ 4 GHz :p. Another important thing to mention is that I use 30' DELL 3011 display at native resolution 2560 * 1600. Ok, so lets begin...

- SC 2 - All maxed out / smooth gameplay / aye candy effects.
- Mafia 2 - All maxed out / smooth gameplay / aye candy effects. The most funny thing at this game is that I have higher FPS on PhysicX on medium or high than on off by average 8 FPS :eek:
- BF:BC2 All maxed out / smooth gameplay / aye candy effects. Only "problems" I noticed are that frame rate just have to speed up in firsts 3 (up to 5) seconds after loading screen, loading screen itself (before each map / round) don't fade as fluently as before and take a little more time. There are some glitches on grass (Heavy Metal Map) some times too but I read is normal.
- GTA IV - hmm... what to say. HORRIBLY optimized game. Without forcing setting in command line it won't run in other than minimal settings in CF. Gameplay isn't as fluent as it was in previous games, but is is acceptable with Car Sensitivity at 1 (Ahaha) and rest at max with Visible Distance and Detail Distance to 45. Maybe problem here is my CPU - probably needs some quad.

Backing to "modding" topic...

* Does RBE 1.27 support card ID change? I would like to change it to 6970 to use higher overclocking limits in CCC. Do not like s***y (in my opinion) programs like AB or SD.
* Is it VID4 that is responsible in RBE for 3D clocks, and is it 1.175 for 6970 original bios?

I really would like to achive 6970 GPU clock (maybe a little more) and memory timings on default without running 3rd party applications.

At the end want to thanks everyone for this great job / +1 for all involved.

Regards,

Dmnk

Last edited:

itsdanny

* Does RBE 1.27 support card ID change? I would like to change it to 6970 to use higher overclocking limits in CCC. Do not like s***y (in my opinion) programs like AB or SD.
* Is it VID4 that is responsible in RBE for 3D clocks, and is it 1.175 for 6970 original bios?

IIRC, it was going to be done and it is implemented, but I'm not sure if it is supported with the 69xx. Try checking the changelog.

Somewhat, yes and no. So it seems, it is switched around with different cards, hence you will have to experiment either VID3 or VID4 is handling your 3D clocks. Monitor the temps and then confirm the enhanced overclocking capabilities and there you will have the correct variable.

Mark22

Hi to All at the beggining :p

I bought 2 Gigabyte GV-R695D5-2GD-B cards after reading the article here. Both were modded using Unlock Shaders Script only. Then DriverSweeper and brand new AMD Catalyst drivers 10.12 (old style) were installed. At the end pushed clock of both to max allowed by CCC - 840 MHz for core. Memory stays at default. Power + 15%

Wont tell You exact benchmarks scores because my CPU isn't so powerful as yours :] It's only E8400 @ 4 GHz :p. Another important thing to mention is that I use 30' DELL 3011 display at native resolution 2560 * 1600. Ok, so lets begin...

- SC 2 - All maxed out / smooth gameplay / aye candy effects.
- Mafia 2 - All maxed out / smooth gameplay / aye candy effects. The most funny thing at this game is that I have higher FPS on PhysicX on medium or high than on off by average 8 FPS :eek:
- BF:BC2 All maxed out / smooth gameplay / aye candy effects. Only "problems" I noticed are that frame rate just have to speed up in firsts 3 (up to 5) seconds after loading screen, loading screen itself (before each map / round) don't fade as fluently as before and take a little more time. There are some glitches on grass (Heavy Metal Map) some times too but I read is normal.
- GTA IV - hmm... what to say. HORRIBLY optimized game. Without forcing setting in command line it won't run in other than minimal settings in CF. Gameplay isn't as fluent as it was in previous games, but is is acceptable with Car Sensitivity at 1 (Ahaha) and rest at max with Visible Distance and Detail Distance to 45. Maybe problem here is my CPU - probably needs some quad.

Backing to "modding" topic...

I really would like to achive 6970 GPU clock (maybe a little more) and memory timings on default without running 3rd party applications.

At the end want to thanks everyone for this great job / +1 for all involved.

Regards,

Dmnk

I turn smart doctor off after booting but I can still have unlocked overclocking in ccc. Seems a good stopgap for now. In RBE there are settings to increase the allowed oc in ccc but I'm not sure how well these settings have been tested on a 6950 bios yet. Maybe someone more experienced with RBE could create a bios with unlocked shaders and increased overdrive abilities to test?

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
IIRC, it was going to be done and it is implemented, but I'm not sure if it is supported with the 69xx. Try checking the changelog.

Somewhat, yes and no. So it seems, it is switched around with different cards, hence you will have to experiment either VID3 or VID4 is handling your 3D clocks. Monitor the temps and then confirm the enhanced overclocking capabilities and there you will have the correct variable.

Surely if there is only one entry at 1.1V in the register whichever Vid it is against, that has to be the 3D clocks if all other registers are lower?

@ Mark....... The only safe way is through Method 1 as I understand it, and through method 1 we need to find and import a signature from a 6950 bios that already has the higher CCC limit, so I think we may struggle until some overclocked versions come out that do have a higher limit..... if ever

DJManiac

When overclocking with Trixx, When I open CCC overdrive the core and memory overclocking bars have disappeared and clocks are not shown. Also the power bar is there but when I slide it to 20% it will slide back after about a second unless I quickly click apply. Anyone else experience this?

Yes - same here - read the other threads (just a few above yours) before asking... :)

And for it it looks like that even it is on +20% it feels like (in Furmark, 3DMark11) that it's real 0% Powerboost after loading TRIXX Profile or a Reboot...

Last edited:

Mirmendis

Processor I7 920 3.8ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte EX58 UD3r
Cooling Noctua NHu12p
Memory Corsait 3x2go 12800
Video Card(s) HD 6950
Storage Velociraptor 150 - Seagate 11 500go
Case Nine hundred
Power Supply cooler master real power 1000W
Software Seven 64, XP 32
Here is my experience with the 6950 unlocked shaders and 6970 bios.
My 6950 with (and without) unlocked shaders doesn't accept more than 1320 for memory if i oc more than 880 for the gpu (random star artifacts in heaven only), even with voltage increased (rbe or afterburner).
However, i can increase the gpu core at 1000 without issues if i adjust voltage AND don't go further than 1320 for memory. So maybe it exists a link between gpu and memory :confused:.
When i flash to 6970 bios, no problem, i can oc to 1000/1400 without any issues.

Nobody has encountered this problem ???

wmblalock

Surely if there is only one entry at 1.1V in the register whichever Vid it is against, that has to be the 3D clocks if all other registers are lower?

@ Mark....... The only safe way is through Method 1 as I understand it, and through method 1 we need to find and import a signature from a 6950 bios that already has the higher CCC limit, so I think we may struggle until some overclocked versions come out that do have a higher limit..... if ever

The register that has 1.1v in it is not necessarily the correct one to use for overclocking. You must test if VID3 or VID4 gives you more heat / overclocking room. My VID3 is 1100 and my VID4 is 1060, yet VID4 (1060) is the one I must adjust to overclock.

coldrazor

how can i put 6970 values on my xfx 6950

i modded my 6950 to 6970, but with msi afterburner i put the 6970 clock values but, this don`t come down when im in 2d, how can i change it? i tried modified bios using the utility on top but my PC don`t start with these values.

In MSI i put the values 880/1375 without problems(tested), but this is bad T_T

Last edited:

Mark22

i use the 6950 modded bios by script, but with msi afterburner i put the 6970 clock values but, this don`t come down when im in 2d, how can i change it? i tried modified bios using the utility on top but my PC don`t start with these values.

In MSI i put the values 880/1375 without problems(tested), but this is bad T_T

You need to set it as a 3D profile, it should then downclock in 2D.

coldrazor

63! degrees idle an 78 full!

I put 6970 clocks in a 3d profile and my temps are 63 idle and 78 full on auto fan, i think is too high!

notice i live in Costa Rica a tropical place with 28c ambient now!

Edit: solved using trixx idle: 43c and full 75c using curve <70c 35% >70 fan goes up.

Tested a variety of software no problems.

Last edited:

travex

I have no idea why ppl love to let the fan setting on auto mode ?! Even at 50% its still quite enough, so why auto !

coldrazor

50% is too loud for me... (i hate loudly idle modes) so a auto mode do the work for me

Status
Not open for further replies.