• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EIZO Intros 27'' Professional Display with Wide Color Gamut

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes you say that? This monitor has hardware calibration support and works internally with a 12-Bit LUT so that should not be a problem. Besides, 'wide gamut' means that there is a large color space (deeper reds, deeper blues etc.), not necessarily more colors (in terms of color count).

By the way, have you ever tried to enable 10-Bit color support in Windows/Linux/MacOS? It's definitely not that easy... First you need a professional graphics card (Quadro/FirePro etc.), none of the consumer cards (GTX 580 / HD 6970 etc.) support that. Second you need software that support 10-Bit Deep Color (like Photoshop). Best case is that your normal applications without Deep Color support work like they used to (eventually a bit slower), worst case is they don't work at all because they don't support rendering at 10-Bit (30-/40-Bit). I have a Dell U3011 wich has 10-Bit color support and i have tried that... :)

The problem with the new Eizo is that it is a 16:9 aspect. Noone is going to pay this much just to watch movies and for content creation it is just too wide with a too small dot pitch (at least for windows until microsoft implements proper dpi-scaling).

8-bit + large gamut = fairly obvious banding(even worse after calibration and profiling).

A high-bit LUT can only increase the conversion precision, won't magically make the actual panel more capable but I do admit it's very useful when coupled with a real 10-bit panel.

Also, in marketing speak color gamut is only a percentage, which only tells you the volume, not the full shape or position of it.

DisplayPort 1.2 provides enough bandwidth at 2560x1600@10bpc@60hz. Windows 7 supports 10bpc. Consumer ATI cards have been confirmed to be able to work at 10bpc on Mac OS X. What's muddy is the driver support for Windows as all modern cards clearly support "10-bit deep color" for HDMI.

System Name Blackbird
Processor AMD Threadripper 3960X 24-core
Motherboard Gigabyte TRX40 Aorus Master
Cooling Full custom-loop water cooling, mostly Aqua Computer and EKWB stuff!
Memory 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident-Z RGB @3733-CL14
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
Storage Samsung 950PRO 512GB, Crusial P5 2TB, Samsung 850PRO 1TB
Display(s) LG 38GN950-B 38" IPS TFT, Dell U3011 30" IPS TFT
Case CaseLabs TH10A
Audio Device(s) Edifier S1000DB
Power Supply ASUS ROG Thor 1200W (SeaSonic)
Mouse Logitech MX Master
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex M800
Software MS Windows 10 Pro for Workstation
Benchmark Scores A lot.
i've read somewhere that the whole radeon 5k and 6k series is build from the ground up to support 10-bit, but mysteriously amd seems to forgot the implementation in its drivers... at least in the catalyst consumer package.

Even the 4000 cards actually support 10-bit, but AMD/nvidia think windows users somehow deserve less.

T

TAViX

If you think you can see a difference between 24bit(+alpha = 32-bit) color and 30, 36, 48 or even the ultra 64-bit color you are hardly mistaken... ;)

As far as I'm aware the human eye can distinguish between 7 million and 12 million colors (at tops), while 24 bits is already more than 16 million colors, 30 bits = 1 billion , 36 bits = 69 billion and 48 bits = ~ 282 trillion colors, hahahaha!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
If you think you can see a difference between 24bit(+alpha = 32-bit) color and 30, 36, 48 or even the ultra 64-bit color you are hardly mistaken... ;)

As far as I'm aware the human eye can distinguish between 7 million and 12 million colors (at tops), while 24 bits is already more than 16 million colors, 30 bits = 1 billion , 36 bits = 69 billion and 48 bits = ~ 282 trillion colors, hahahaha!!

When you mix heory, practice and gamma curves, it gets a bit more complicated.

Imagine a "greyscale". On a 24 bit colour monitor, this is only 8 bit greyscale. YES, you can see the banding pretty easily. Now, add a gamma curve, ie. non-linear, and you actually reduce the effective bit-depth very quickly, where shades jump a couple of bands (where the curve is steep) or stay in the same identical shade, even when they should different (when the curve is shallow).

This is why medical monitors (viewing x-rays etc) went very quickly to 10bit with internal processing at 12bit to try to reduce this problem so the doctors could actually spot the hairline fractures in bones etc.

What is true for greyscale is true for mono-colour, and by extension, is true for RGB albeit less noticable. But in my own experience, trying to calibrate a 24bit professional monitor to perfectly show PANTONE print colours is impossible. You can get some right, but not across the spectrum. However, with 36bit+ colour space this is much easier to do.

Now 24bit is actually a silly "truth" for visual perception. If you add 255 red, 255 blue and 0 or 1 green, then no, you will not notice any difference. But try calibrating a whole bunch of colour spaces, and 24 bit really isnt good enough.

NOT that you will notice any difference in a first person shooter. But you WOULD notice the difference if the Food Magazine had meat just a little bit green. LOL.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Already at 120 dpi, thank you. Already at second beer, thank you very much ;)
I was talking about the icons in programs like AutoCAD, Maya, 3DS, iDEAS, CADceus, etc, etc, that don't scale well with high dpi settings.
Also the stupid text books like the ones Cisco have for study. They are written in flash, java, whatever, and you cannot make the text bigger at all. Not even by increasing dpi.....
But the most important thing is that I keep the screen at least half of meter from my eyes. I still don't need glasses, but that can change if I stay to close to the screen to read crappy small text....

Ah, I see your issue.

Yes, WHEN WILL WE HAVE TRUE scalable desktop?

All I can suggest is an icon in the taskba allowing you to quickly change resolutions for that nasty oldskool software. Alternatively, try to find a Flash manager than has a zoom function.

T

TAViX

Yeah, that sucks, I know.... :(

Interesting post the one with medical monitors. I didn't know that. Tnks.

Status
Not open for further replies.