• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Heat concerns and questions about new HSF

puNDuKE

Hey all,
kinda new here but have had a lot of help with finding a good gfx card that would help carry my rig into the land of new directx11 games approaching and what not but in the back of my head I have always been worried about the temps my cpu has been getting at, at least according to my Core Temp 0.99.5m, and from what I understand the software can't always be accurate when compared to the BIOS but anyway let me lay down some of my specs to see if it's ok to run at this temp or if I'm playing with fire -haha. I supplied my motherboard info as well just incase it is needed to know which HSF to purchase unless you go soley by the cpu and that will determine?

Motherboard: ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboa...

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cac...

according to the Core Temp program it can get up to 58-59 c on full load of playing Battlefield bad company 2 for example for about 45 min or so but that's guessing. I have had the computer restart randomly during extensive games but not recently after having purged what I thought to be conflicting gfx drivers left behind on my system because it wouldn't let me run CCC properly, etc. I have read around that usually people operate on full loads on their quads at 60c so this is conforting till I read that my particular one only handles a max temp of 62 which I come close to and shouldn't even come that close.

It usually idles around 41-43 c and it does indeed still have the stock fan that came with it, hence my concerns and interest to purchase a better heatsink, although laying hands on my computer always scares the heck out of me and gives me the shakes lol. I don't want to have to take the HSF off and risk damaging my computer which is what I fear the most since I'm not exactly an expert just put together a few computers. Anyway enough about that I'm just curious if I need to bother with it or if this is something that should be handled and you guys are very helpful so of course I came back with another situation of mine ;p hope this is enough info but of course let me know if more is needed I appreciate the help.

System Name Main PC
Processor PII 925 x4 @3.724GHz (266x14) 1.525v NB 2660 1.425v
Motherboard Gigabyte AM3 GA-890XA-UD3 (790x+SB850)
Cooling Scythe Mugen 2 rev.B
Memory Hyperx 8GB (2x4) 1600@1418 8-7-7-20-27-1t
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 256GB SSD / 2TB HDD
Display(s) LCD Samsung 24" 16:9
Case Cooler Master HAF 912
Audio Device(s) On-Board HD
Power Supply CM 750w GX |3.3v@25a|5v@25a|12v@60a
Software Kubuntu dual boot /Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores later...
1-Welcome to TPU

2-filed up your System Specs

3-If during games you got no problems with slow down , freeze or restart than don't worry about it

4-A better HSF (with heat pipes) will help much with your temp you could always find someone to install it for you or pay a few boxes at your local computer store for the installation (but it is "easy" to install really)

5-A good case air flow will also help out

puNDuKE

1-Welcome to TPU

2-filed up your System Specs

3-If during games you got no problems with slow down , freeze or restart than don't worry about it

4-A better HSF (with heat pipes) will help much with your temp you could always find someone to install it for you or pay a few boxes at your local computer store for the installation (but it is "easy" to install really)

5-A good case air flow will also help out

Yea games don't get all shakey and then eventually crap out or lead to a restart just if anything when I first formatted my system I still had some AMD drivers leftover from my old gfx card that was causing me some trouble so I figured when I first tried to test out one of my games and it reset it might have been due to some bad drivers at work. Funny I come on here to talk about this when at this exact moment my comp at idle is pushing 50c and svchost now suddenly seems corrupt and using 150000k mem causing it to get up there... gotta love coincidences. That should be easy to fix though if I have to reformat again so be it but thats good news to now I'm not pushing it too much but at the same time I know that long term use will wear it down and eventually crap it out but if nothing restarts or gets shakey Im not going to worry about it. Whole other issue I guess.

Anyway, anyone have any good suggestions as to what HSF from newegg would be the best?

Last edited:
System Name Main PC
Video Card(s) GTX 680
You didn't filled up your system specs...;)

As for the cooler i got is Scythe Mugen 2 rev.B
http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/mugen-2-rev-b.html

My PII 925 @3.850Ghz with 1.525v & my cooler keeps it at 46c full load (Prime95 or OCCT)
But i do have a good case for air flow (Haf 912) & 2x200mm + 2x120mm fans

Anyways the Mugen 2 is a good performance cooler for the price but it may not fit in a regular case it is big & you may not be able to put the side panel back on?
One reason why i change my case for the HAF 912 & i LOVE IT!!:D

Last thing is how long did you clean your inside case?
It may just be full of dusts & that's what causing high temp?
Buy a can of air & dusts it out every 3 months or so

Funny I come on here to talk about this when at this exact moment my comp at idle is pushing 50c and svchost now suddenly seems corrupt and using 150000k mem causing it to get up there... gotta love coincidences. That should be easy to fix though if I have to reformat again

Spyware or virus maybe?

puNDuKE

You didn't filled up your system specs...;)

As for the cooler i got is Scythe Mugen 2 rev.B
http://www.scythe-eu.com/en/products/cpu-cooler/mugen-2-rev-b.html

My PII 925 @3.850Ghz with 1.525v & my cooler keeps it at 46c full load (Prime95 or OCCT)
But i do have a good case for air flow (Haf 912) & 2x200mm + 2x120mm fans

Anyways the Mugen 2 is a good performance cooler for the price but it may not fit in a regular case it is big & you may not be able to put the side panel back on?
One reason why i change my case for the HAF 912 & i LOVE IT!!:D

Last thing is how long did you clean your inside case?
It may just be full of dusts & that's what causing high temp?
Buy a can of air & dusts it out every 3 months or so

Spyware or virus maybe?

Damn that thing is beastly lol. Looks like it absorbs a lot of heat but that kit is crazy and looks way out of my skill range as far as attaching this HSF but I think it should fit but yea tight squeeze hehe.

Yea it's really weird svchost is still eating 140,076k but now my comp is back at 42c idle but it's still pissing me off that it is using that much lol. I tried a scan with AVG and ran a spyware search but it still remains... oh well thanks for all the help Goodman!

System Name Main PC
Video Card(s) GTX 680
It's not that hard to install
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSGr-7NqUbI&feature=fvwrel

But as i said before you can always get the HSF install at your local computer store for a few dollars if you think you can't do it on your own

As for spywares & virus scan try Avast & SuperAntiSpyware

Avast http://www.avast.com/en-ca/free-antivirus-download

SuperAntiSpyware http://www.superantispyware.com/

I tried a scan with AVG and ran a spyware search but it still remains... oh well thanks for all the help Goodman!

BTW: There is a thanks! button for that ;)

puNDuKE

It's not that hard to install
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSGr-7NqUbI&feature=fvwrel

But as i said before you can always get the HSF install at your local computer store for a few dollars if you think you can't do it on your own

As for spywares & virus scan try Avast & SuperAntiSpyware

Avast http://www.avast.com/en-ca/free-antivirus-download

SuperAntiSpyware http://www.superantispyware.com/

BTW: There is a thanks! button for that ;)

Oh yea I've been using that thank you button don't worry ;p. As for the dust issue I have been regularly spraying inside of the case and fans, etc. but it was running out pretty fast as they do so I probably was pushing more dust into the heatsink rather than blowing it out so I picked up a new can today and tons of dust flew out of it and now temps are couple degrees lower to my delight I actually just hit 39c idle so thats cool and was playing Battlefield bad company 2 and it got up to about 56 which isn't bad to me.

I guess my next question would be is there a HSF that I don't have to attach a new mount to the front/back of the motherboard instead maybe just clip it over the one I currently have attached with the clips on the sides with the lever or something similar? That would make it a whole lot easier rather than detaching everything and unscrewing the motherboard and bringing it out, etc. I am just too worried I would damage something removing everything and what not :ohwell:.

System Name Main PC
Video Card(s) GTX 680
I guess my next question would be is there a HSF that I don't have to attach a new mount to the front/back of the motherboard instead maybe just clip it over the one I currently have attached with the clips on the sides with the lever or something similar? That would make it a whole lot easier rather than detaching everything and unscrewing the motherboard and bringing it out, etc. I am just too worried I would damage something removing everything and what not :ohwell:.

yeah! OCZ Vanquisher it use a clip for AMD but not that good for a quad core stil be better than the original HSF

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-vanquisher-cpu-cooler-eol.html

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
System Name Main PC
Video Card(s) GTX 680
OCZ Vanquisher was the worst cooler i have ever used in my entire life, it couldn't keep a E5200 cool for nothing. ended up buying a tuniq tower 120

I had one before & it was ok not super but better than original HSF for sure & cheap to buy ~$25 he also ask for a cooler that doesn't require to remove the board so an HSF that can use a clip on like the original HSF ;)

Last edited:

puNDuKE

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Are you in the states?

If so check out the Xigmatek coolers on Newegg. They have a rebate on them dropping the price to a little below $30 for the Balder. Nice thing about it is that you can add a second fan latter on if wanted and that one comes with the kit to turn the cooler to face the ram slots on an AMD board.

Anything from there is really overkill on an AMD. I have a Noctua NH-D14 that can run passive on my 955 BE with 1.4v. Hovers in the low 40C when running stress testers but adding the fans doesn't really improve it that much considering the price.

puNDuKE

Are you in the states?

If so check out the Xigmatek coolers on Newegg. They have a rebate on them dropping the price to a little below $30 for the Balder. Nice thing about it is that you can add a second fan latter on if wanted and that one comes with the kit to turn the cooler to face the ram slots on an AMD board.

Anything from there is really overkill on an AMD. I have a Noctua NH-D14 that can run passive on my 955 BE with 1.4v. Hovers in the low 40C when running stress testers but adding the fans doesn't really improve it that much considering the price.

lol that thing is huge! and again this one has the side things you screw into the motherboard. I'm just looking for something that can latch onto the top of the cpu without having to screw anything into the back of the motherboard that I can pop over the pegs with the metal clasps.

Was eyeing this one: ZALMAN CNPS 7500 AlCu LED 2 Ball CPU Cooler or something like it.. doesn't seem too impressive...
does say AM3 and thats what kind of socket it is so I'm guessing this would work better than the stock at least and has the metal clasps.

Last edited:
System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Case CM HAF 932
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
If you want something smaller then how about this?

The Zalman you listed really isn't much better then you already have.

Also the with the two I've listed so far both use the stock AMD backing plate and don't require that you use the ACK adapters. The adapters just replace the stock AMD top piece so that you can turn the cooler 90 degree to face the ram slots instead of the PCIe slots.

Let me see if I can find some pictures of mine.......

puNDuKE

If you want something smaller then how about this?

The Zalman you listed really isn't much better then you already have.

Also the with the two I've listed so far both use the stock AMD backing plate and don't require that you use the ACK adapters. The adapters just replace the stock AMD top piece so that you can turn the cooler 90 degree to face the ram slots instead of the PCIe slots.

Let me see if I can find some pictures of mine.......

I think I'm being a noob about it because I'm not understanding why it needs screws. I thought all you needed was the latch but it comes with the bracket as well? Is that just optional and you don't need to install with it in other words? So there is no screwing of the mounting bracket just the latch you install on the side? :twitch:

Heheh thanks for the help so far btw guys you really are some of the nicest people on the net I know lol

System Name Main PC
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Thanks btw everyone - knowing that its 71 is extremely comforting lol. Anyhow as far as this HSF goes Goodman it doesn't look like the latching kind it looks like they are pegs. I don't think thats the way mine is setup.

Yes! it does in the pictures they show for an Intel setup but there is also the clip/bracket for the AMD system...

http://www.ocztechnology.com/resources/drivers/vanq_manual.pdf

Attachments

• AMD.JPG
    AMD.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 474
System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Case CM HAF 932
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Link to TPU Xigmatek 1283 review

So I guess I don't have any pictures of my stuff but searching Google images found the TPU review. :laugh:

In the review they have the fan facing the top of the board but it can be turned to face the PCIe slots. The only thing the brackets do is allow you to turn the cooler to face the ram slots.

Here is a picture of the brackets installed. It is real easy to install and you don't even need to remove the motherboard to install them. Just unscrew the stock bracket and screw on the ACK bracket and done. Also Xigmatek will tell you to but a $10 bracket to use the ACK but all I did was remove the pegs from the Intel bracket and used it. Works like a champ.

puNDuKE

Link to TPU Xigmatek 1283 review

So I guess I don't have any pictures of my stuff but searching Google images found the TPU review. :laugh:

In the review they have the fan facing the top of the board but it can be turned to face the PCIe slots. The only thing the brackets do is allow you to turn the cooler to face the ram slots.

Here is a picture of the brackets installed. It is real easy to install and you don't even need to remove the motherboard to install them. Just unscrew the stock bracket and screw on the ACK bracket and done. Also Xigmatek will tell you to but a $10 bracket to use the ACK but all I did was remove the pegs from the Intel bracket and used it. Works like a champ.

Thanks guys- the above diagram for installation makes it a little clearer for me.. so good all of this stuff uses the clamping system am I correct? I just thought that maybe there was another type in there that you screw it down only or something I dunno. As for this HSF your showing me it looks good but yea only problem is it facing up. I would love to turn it towards the back so all I have to do is unscrew the one that's on it now and screw in the new one or use the current one but turn it accordingly so I can position it towards the back? And I'm guessing you gently screw it on enough so it doesn't crack the board lol I say that because I'd be nervous I would accidentally do that. If that's all I gotta do I'd love to purchase this and face it toward the back.

Currently I have the side case fan blowing in and onto my cpu hsf because it actually sucks inward which can be a problem for dust I'd imagine which explains the sudden 2-3 degree decrease dusting it more thoroughly. This seems like it would be a better option to have it blowing in on it while it's blowing out the back where I have fitted a pretty large fan blowing out as well. I wouldn't say I have a bad cooling layout in my case it's mainly the stock hsf that's not performing as it could. With the 71 max temp in mind it definitely eases it but I figure if it's a little up there it could cause damage in the long run if it gets up to 58 longer than it possibly should. If that's pretty much it with the mounting bracket and all you have to do is rescrew it in repositioned without worrying about the backside of the motherboard I'm a go. All I need at this point is some good paste because I'm guessing it won't be supplied with it. Still kinda nervous about having to screw anything onto the motherboard I always fear Im going to damage it somehow even though I limit the hazards of actually doing so lol.

also when you say here's a picture of the mounting bracket installed isn't it yellow and not black or does the yellow part screw down ontop of that? Just a little confused as to why they are different colors if they are both the mounting bracket and what are those metal pegs sticking out does the HSF or the yellow part fit over that? I don't see the little metal pegs in the other screen shots where they would be from the angled pics of the hsf installed. I'm guessing that yellow part screws down ontop of the black part which is screwed down first and then last the HSF clips onto it and your done?

Thanks

Last edited:
System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Case CM HAF 932
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Ok I hope these pictures simplify things. This would be going from your stock AMD bracket to the Xigmatek ACK one. If you need me to just post clickable thumbnail pictures let me know. Don't mind the cooler as it is the OCZ Vendetta 2 but the Xigmatek works the same way as I have the S1283 and S1284.

The metal bracket with latch (that goes across the socket) is what is used on the Xigmatek coolers and does not need the AMD bracket to be changed to use. The downside is that the cooler faces the PCIe slots. The ACK brackets are what is needed to be installed to turn the cooler to face the ram slots. The nuts with springs are what is used to use the bolts on the end of the brackets. Along with the Intel 775 brackets that bolt on to the Xigmatek cooler, you set the ends over the bolts and screw on the nuts to tighten down the cooler.

I have yet to see a cpu cooler that did not come with thermal paste.

As for how tight the bolts need to be: literally finger tight. When the bolts go tight and you can not tighten them anymore with your fingers (not hand like normal) holding the screwdriver and require some kind of force, stop. No reason to torque the bolts as they will not back out.

The nice thing about the bracket is that you can still use any cooler that uses the tabs (like the retail AMD cooler).

puNDuKE

Ok I hope these pictures simplify things. This would be going from your stock AMD bracket to the Xigmatek ACK one. If you need me to just post clickable thumbnail pictures let me know. Don't mind the cooler as it is the OCZ Vendetta 2 but the Xigmatek works the same way as I have the S1283 and S1284.

The metal bracket with latch (that goes across the socket) is what is used on the Xigmatek coolers and does not need the AMD bracket to be changed to use. The downside is that the cooler faces the PCIe slots. The ACK brackets are what is needed to be installed to turn the cooler to face the ram slots. The nuts with springs are what is used to use the bolts on the end of the brackets. Along with the Intel 775 brackets that bolt on to the Xigmatek cooler, you set the ends over the bolts and screw on the nuts to tighten down the cooler.

I have yet to see a cpu cooler that did not come with thermal paste.

As for how tight the bolts need to be: literally finger tight. When the bolts go tight and you can not tighten them anymore with your fingers (not hand like normal) holding the screwdriver and require some kind of force, stop. No reason to torque the bolts as they will not back out.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z43/mastrdrver/AMD cpu cooler mount/SANY0090.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z43/mastrdrver/AMD cpu cooler mount/SANY0084.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z43/mastrdrver/AMD cpu cooler mount/SANY0085.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z43/mastrdrver/AMD cpu cooler mount/SANY0086.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z43/mastrdrver/AMD cpu cooler mount/SANY0088.jpg
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z43/mastrdrver/AMD cpu cooler mount/SANY0091.jpg

The nice thing about the bracket is that you can still use any cooler that uses the tabs (like the retail AMD cooler).

Nice nice this does well to simplify it for me hehe thanks a lot. Yea so it looks like I will have to turn mine towards the back so I will have to unscrew the bracket currently there and install the different one included with the HSF to turn it towards the ram slots and then I can either bolt it down or clip it on so I have two options? If so which method do you prefer? It looks like in these pictures he left the clips on the same way just installed the bracket that came with his HSF so he could bolt it down? Yea these step by step pictures really help to put it into perspective thanks a lot. :respect:

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Case CM HAF 932
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
No problem and glad it helped.

The cross bracket will only allow you to mount the cooler facing the PCIe slots, not the ram slots.

Using the nuts with the cooler mounted on the bolts like in the last picture you can turn it either way. The tabs are still there on the ACK bracket so you can use the cross bracket if you like but the cooler will only be able to be mounted facing the PCIe slots. Though it you have some other cooler you decide to get at a later time that uses those tabs you will not have to change the ACK brackets out for the stock AMD one to be able to mount it.

puNDuKE

No problem and glad it helped.

The cross bracket will only allow you to mount the cooler facing the PCIe slots, not the ram slots.

Using the nuts with the cooler mounted on the bolts like in the last picture you can turn it either way. The tabs are still there on the ACK bracket so you can use the cross bracket if you like but the cooler will only be able to be mounted facing the PCIe slots. Though it you have some other cooler you decide to get at a later time that uses those tabs you will not have to change the ACK brackets out for the stock AMD one to be able to mount it.

Awesome! So if I want the fan to face the back of my case I just have to put on the ACK bracket and you put the paste on (little bit of glob in the middle right?) and then screw them all down evenly till it gets finger tight and same things with the screws holding the bracket down to the motherboard. My only concern is being able to get it tight enough ontop of the cpu since I've never done it that way before but I'll manage. And the ACK bracket is purchased seperately?

I'm also reading on these hsf more closely they don't list AM3 socket which is what mine is:

motherboard
ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboa...

cpu
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cac...

so your telling me though all I need is to purchase the ACK bracket for my motherboard, whichever is supported, and then a HSF like the one your showing me which would be perfect pointed towards the back of my case and again Im not sure if the side fan blowing in on it helps any though it is quite loud since it's smaller it would almost be nice to do away with the side case fan blowing in but if it helps I'll keep it. I have fans in the front (x2) blowing towards the back and a larger fan on the back blowing out so I think with a HSF like this one blowing out the back with the other bigger one in front of it to carry it out would be a good system but if you think having a fan on the side blowing on-top of the HSF works I'll keep it. So yea that's basically it - I just need to know where to get a ACK bracket that's compatible with my motherboard/cpu and same deal with the HSF as I am questioning these ones your showing me because AM3 is not listed as being supported unless I'm not looking correctly which is possible since a lot of this is new to me.

Last edited:
System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Case CM HAF 932
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
The ACK-i5363 bracket will come with either of the two Xigmatek coolers I listed as well as the bracket that does across the socket to be able to use the AMD bracket supplied with all AMD board.

For the bolts holding the bracket (ACK-i5363) to the backplate those don't need to be more then finger tight.

For the nuts bolting the heatsink down to the brackets (ACK-i5363) those need to be more then finger tight. You don't need to get carried anyway though. If you have to close fist grab (death grip) the screwdriver in one hand and push down with a lot of force (so the screw driver doesn't just jump out of the groove in the nuts) to get the nuts tighter then you need to stop.

puNDuKE

The ACK-i5363 bracket will come with either of the two Xigmatek coolers I listed as well as the bracket that does across the socket to be able to use the AMD bracket supplied with all AMD board.

For the bolts holding the bracket (ACK-i5363) to the backplate those don't need to be more then finger tight.

For the nuts bolting the heatsink down to the brackets (ACK-i5363) those need to be more then finger tight. You don't need to get carried anyway though. If you have to close fist grab (death grip) the screwdriver in one hand and push down with a lot of force (so the screw driver doesn't just jump out of the groove in the nuts) to get the nuts tighter then you need to stop.

Are the things that hold the HSF down to the ack bracket, pegs or whatever, are those screwable or just with fingers. Phillips head?