• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bricked HDD

bonzai_cyberninja

System Name Nautilus
Processor AMD FX 8350 @ 4.4
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Koolance 12038HBK-184 Fans
Memory 16 gig corsair ddr3 @ 1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte HD 7970GHZ
Storage Sandisk SSD extreme 240G, 2 x 3T Hitachi, Kingston SSD 128G
Display(s) ASUS 24"
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply 1000 Watt Seasonic Platinum
Software windows8 x64 Pro Edition
So, apparently accidentally telling your second hdd to dismount instead of your external hdd is not such a cool idea, especially when it has all your games installed on it. Fortunately it does not have anything to do with my windows installation on it, however i don't really wanna have to reinstall the 200 odd gigs worth of games on there.

So I'm wondering, how do i get the drive to stop showing up as an empty drive, and get it to realise its actually full of data that i want to use.

I'm pretty sure I did this once before, years ago, but I cant remember how to do it!

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
So windows cant see the drive at all?

You might have to go to disk management to tell windows that there is a drive?

What OS are you running?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It sounds like you've corrupted the file system. You'll have to use a data recovery utility. Or better still, reformat it and restore your data from the daily backup you make.

bonzai_cyberninja

System Name Nautilus
Display(s) ASUS 24"
So windows cant see the drive at all?

You might have to go to disk management to tell windows that there is a drive?

What OS are you running?

Windows 7 x64 ultimate, as mentionded in my specs :)

It shows up in the windows disk management as an unallocated disk, thinking that its full of lovely free space, and not full of all my games.
So its not recognising as a usable disk

It sounds like you've corrupted the file system. You'll have to use a data recovery utility. Or better still, reformat it and restore your data from the daily backup you make.

yea, it may be, although that seems kindda odd, as all it did was get a dismount command, why would that corrupt all its data.

any ideas as to how i can make it behave??? i dont need to recover any data, i have all the install disk's etc, thats not a problem, but i would like to avoid the pain of reinstall
What can i do?

oh yeah, forgot to add, i dont backup my games drive, i dont have limitless hdd space:p

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Yeah, you do have limitless disc space: 2TB drives are super cheap nowadays.

I back up my data to two separate hard drives now, one on a separate PC and I'm gonna add a third. Paranoid? You betcha. I've also lost important data before not following my own good advice and the pain is just not worth it. The data can be priceless and irreplaceable, depending on what it is eg family photos, account details of those critical offshore accounts used to hide from the taxman...

I can't remember any recovery utilities off the top of my head. However, if you search the storage forum you'll see suggestions for good ones. People were posting about something like this just a couple of weeks back, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

bonzai_cyberninja

System Name Nautilus
Display(s) ASUS 24"
Yeah, you do have limitless disc space: 2TB drives are super cheap nowadays.

I back up my data to two separate hard drives now, one on a separate PC and I'm gonna add a third. Paranoid? You betcha. I've also lost important data before not following my own good advice and the pain is just not worth it. The data can be priceless and irreplaceable, depending on what it is eg family photos, account details of those critical offshore accounts used to hide from the taxman...

I can't remember any recovery utilities off the top of my head. However, if you search the storage forum you'll see suggestions for good ones. People were posting about something like this just a couple of weeks back, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Cheers mate, ill have a look and see what i can find. As for the backups, well, when your in the financial poop like i am atm, even a nice cheap 2TB drive becomes a rather expensive luxury, so i have to make do with a backup of just the OS drive, and again, as its only games, its not priceless data, just a pain in the ass to have to reinstall.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Cheers mate, ill have a look and see what i can find. As for the backups, well, when your in the financial poop like i am atm, even a nice cheap 2TB drive becomes a rather expensive luxury, so i have to make do with a backup of just the OS drive, and again, as its only games, its not priceless data, just a pain in the ass to have to reinstall.

Ah, lack of money, I know it well. ;) One can pick up a 500GB or 1T HD for very little money though, so I do recommend stretching to at least one of those, if you can.

I'm glad you didn't have anything priceless on there, it's a really horrible experience to lose it. :cry:

One last tip: we all tend to store stuff on our desktop - mine's plastered with icons. :laugh: Watch out that some of those don't fall into that "priceless" category. It could be something as simple as a link to a handy website, or a quick note you made. Game saves in your user profile are another hidden source of priceless data. Be sure to back those up and they won't take much space, either. :toast: Heck, you can use a cheap as chips USB stick for this task if you want to.

Finally, Karen's Replicator is an excellent backup tool, which I use myself and best of all, it's totally free.

www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Windows 7 x64 ultimate, as mentionded in my specs :)

It shows up in the windows disk management as an unallocated disk, thinking that its full of lovely free space, and not full of all my games.
So its not recognising as a usable disk

yea, it may be, although that seems kindda odd, as all it did was get a dismount command, why would that corrupt all its data.

any ideas as to how i can make it behave??? i dont need to recover any data, i have all the install disk's etc, thats not a problem, but i would like to avoid the pain of reinstall
What can i do?

oh yeah, forgot to add, i dont backup my games drive, i dont have limitless hdd space:p

Ahh righto, wanted to make sure if its that computer or another one you may own :)

When i formatted my computer just a few weeks back, the OS wouldn't see my 1TB HDD even though it did before. I was worried that id lose all my data thinking id have to format the drive again. But when i went into disk management there is another option there and that worked great, and now Windows 7 64 can see the drive again as normal.

For a recovery program i did use one just the other yr, but i cant remember the name of it now, once my m8 gets back ill ask him and let ya know, it worked VERY well.