• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Foxconn Posts $218 Million Full-Year Net Loss

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
The year 2010 was an extremely difficult year for Foxconn. We saw major changes in the handset ecosystem triggered by entry of new players, introduction of new software and applications, as well as emergence of new business models. Market dynamics shifted drastically and created tough challenges for some industry players as well as the Company.

Despite our continual efforts to further diversify customer base and sources of revenue, the operation results for the Company concluded less than satisfaction. Revenue for the year 2010 was US$6,626 million, which represents a change of US$588 million, or 8.2% less than the prior year revenue of US$7,214 million.

The intensifying market share struggles among global OEM brands had made the global handset EMS market difficult and caused pricing pressure for the Group's products. Higher manufacturing overhead resulting primarily from lower utilization of facilities and relocation, changes in product mix, impairment losses, continued long-term investment in research and development activities as well as higher consolidated income tax also affected our financial performance. Loss for the year 2010 attributable to equity holders of the Company was US$218 million, representing a decline of 659% over the profit for prior year amount of US$39 million. Basic loss per share for the year 2010 were US3.06 cents.

In 2010, we continued to execute our capacity re-location programs, which commenced in the latter part of 2008. These efforts were set out to right size the cost and scale of our operations in order to cope with the challenges in our business. In PRC, we continued to focus on expansion in Langfang, Beijing and Tianjin, while reducing our exposure in the higher cost areas. We initiated discussions with Hon Hai group companies to transfer some less utilized assets to satisfy their growing demand and trim down our fixed costs. Outside of the PRC, we also reviewed our local business opportunities and constantly looked to improve profitability of our various sites. Some of these cost streamlining actions took longer than we had expected and thus created unfavorable impact to our financial performance. Relocation and downturn of our business also generated asset impairments that hit our bottom line.

While the cost optimization efforts persisted, we did not slow down our R&D investments. Our investments in design engineering resources for smart phones started to see good progress in 2010. It is our belief that we have built respectable capabilities in this area which will help our customers tremendously in enriching their product portfolio and shortening their products' time to market. Smart phones have generated strong growth momentum in the market and we believe our investments in this area will prove to be vital for our future.

Outlook
Looking ahead to 2011, our alarming setback in 2010 has created a sense of urgency in the organization. We need to change as the market is changing and our customers are changing. We need to take decisive actions to conclude our capacity re-location, optimize our cost structure and return to profitability. As part of the efforts for resources consolidation, we have discussed with Hon Hai group to sell our Taiyuan legal entity and its assets to them. Subject to independent shareholders' approval and completion of the transaction, we believe it will help us in reducing our fixed costs for operation while allowing Hon Hai to further expand in the Taiyuan area. We need to serve our existing customers better and approach more new customers. As smart phones become the mainstream of the market, we believe our end-to-end solutions from design to manufacturing and services put us in a leading position in the market place.

Employees
As at 31 December 2010, the Group had a total of 126,687 (2009: 118,702) employees. Total staff costs incurred during the year 2010 amounted to US$565 million (2009: US$485 million). The Group offers a comprehensive remuneration policy which is reviewed by the management on a regular basis.

For details, refer to this document (PDF).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
no shit, 2010 hit everyone hard. but i half expected Foxconn to come through it a little easier as they have their fingers in just about anything that involes technology in general.

One of the biggest changes to foxconn in 2010 was they started making enthusiast motherboards. unfortunately despite having positive reviews, overclockablity was still an issue with their boards.

I hope they have a better year.

T

Taskforce

Babylon system falling down, economy wont get better only worst or stabilize.

That's what you get when you treat your employees like shit. Karma, ever heard of it, Foxconn?!? :mad:

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
how can you lose 218 million and still be in business

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP

the better question is how can a company be so deeply embedded in the tech market yet post a huge loss

System Name Frankenstein v7
Processor Intel i7 2600K (@ stock)
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 7870 WindForce 2GB
Storage Samsung F3 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S24C750
Case Antec P280
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit

alice-in-wonderland
The bank is my friend
The bank is my friend
The bank is my friend
/end alice-in-wonderland

Anything is possible in almost any market, when there's some clout behind you, based on previous or historic performance.
In time to come, I'm sure Foxconn will do just fine again.
The economic down-turn has hit everyone hard. It's just more obvious with the smaller players in the field..
And.. we all still need sockets made by someone, even if this someone no longer plays [m]any other fields ;)

System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Babylon system falling down, economy wont get better only worst or stabilize.

Babylon = Foxconn?

Which company deserves any better that to make loss of 8.2% if they are in the sportlight of the TPU news moderator AND even official newspapers for having one of the worst working condition in the Computer-industry.

I know about news telling some China factory workers kill themselfs, 2 or something in a row, since the conditions in that Foxconn run facility are soooo inhumany.
Maybe some still remember this stuff...

So I concluded I couldn´t care less about Foxconn going down slowly.
Man! Even their hardware is not worth buying :mad:
And even if I would think about aiding that company in any way.

System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64

ktr

Last time I checked, Foxconn had over ~920,000 employees, not ~127,000.

I haven't read the article in depth.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit
Foxconn has almost a million employees throughout 13 different factories, and it's the world's largest PCB assembler.

Even thinking that Foxconn going down is a "good thing" means pure ignorance of the company's importance in our daily lives.
The same could be said of Nokia, Microsoft or TSMC.
If one of those disappeared all of the sudden, the world would stand still and we'd fall into an era of technological regression.

AthlonX2 said:
You don't think of it that way, in a company of this dimension. It's not like this is a cake store losing 218 million.
218 million is but 3,3% of the company's 2010 revenue. I'm pretty sure they're sitting on cash reserves that could cover ten times that net loss.
Besides, the company went under major structural changes, so additional expenses for 2010 were expected.