• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

G.Skill Breaks SuperPi 32M LGA1155 World Record

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Just having the hardware is not enough...one must learn the proper technique's as well. ;)

Bleh. That's not a big deal, really, now is it? It's not like there is some hardware mods, or you gotta mod the BIOS for functionality...there's really no challenge left, other than the physical ones the silicon introduces, and overcoming those can be figured out easily, with a bit of help.

I'm much more intereted in 24/7 acheivable records, but that sort of stuff doesn't get hyped any more.

Don't get me wrong, sub-zero stuff is cool.:laugh:, but just not that interesting to me.

Tatty_Two

Gone Fishing
Processor Rocket Lake Core i5 11600K @ 5 Ghz with PL tweaks
Motherboard MSI MAG Z490 TOMAHAWK
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120SE + 4 Phanteks 140mm case fans
Memory 32GB (4 x 8GB SR) Patriot Viper Steel 4133Mhz DDR4 @ 3600Mhz CL14@1.45v Gear 1
Video Card(s) Asus Dual RTX 4070 OC
Storage WD Blue SN550 1TB M.2 NVME//Crucial MX500 500GB SSD (OS)
Display(s) AOC Q2781PQ 27 inch Ultra Slim 2560 x 1440 IPS
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Windowed - Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200/SPDIF to Sony AVR @ 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM650w Gold Semi modular
Mouse Coolermaster Storm Octane wired
Keyboard Element Gaming Carbon Mk2 Tournament Mech
Software Win 10 Home x64
Bleh. That's not a big deal, really, now is it? It's not like there is some hardware mods, or you gotta mod the BIOS for functionality...there's really no challenge left, other than the physical ones the silicon introduces, and overcoming those can be figured out easily, with a bit of help.

I'm much more intereted in 24/7 acheivable records, but that sort of stuff doesn't get hyped any more.

Don't get me wrong, sub-zero stuff is cool.:laugh:, but just not that interesting to me.

I agree but I think he is talking more about the real in depth knowledge of hardware functionality, we still see fairly big "gaps" in acheivements with overclocking with the same kit and some go down different routes to get there, you know, sometimes a subtle tweak with GTL ref voltages can get you through a wall that seems to stop most people, however I agree that most knowledgable overclockers can get pretty much the limit out of their hardware and often any differences can just be down to silicon and the like.

D

Deleted member 74752

I'm not speaking of sub-zero work here. The very first time I tried my hand at SuperPi 32 was a small contest which limited the cpu frequency to the point where uber cooling was not needed or a factor. I was amazed at the difference the lack of knowledge of subtle changes had on results. 3DMark2001 comes to mind...if one does not know the unique methods of a particular benchmark the results will most certainly be less than stellar. There is so much more to benching than just clicking the "start" button.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'm not speaking of sub-zero work here. The very first time I tried my hand at SuperPi 32 was a small contest which limited the cpu frequency to the point where uber cooling was not needed or a factor. I was amazed at the difference the lack of knowledge of subtle changes had on results. 3DMark2001 comes to mind...if one does not know the unique methods of a particular benchmark the results will most certainly be less than stellar. There is so much more to benching than just clicking the "start" button.

Don't care about that stuff, either. things like copywazza and all the others, tweaks to free up mem, etc, are of no use to me.

Of course, these techniques can be applied by programmers in order t ocreate efficient code, but I really do question "World Records" being hyped my OEMs. The money that goes in the guys that do these benching demos, doesn't really offer anything to the end user, nor does it actually have anything to do with the hardware, other than luck, for exactly the same reasons you mentioned.

It's not like I wasn't part of the sub-zero crowd. I got as high as 53rd on HWBOT.

D

Deleted member 74752

Don't care about that stuff, either. things like copywazza and all the others, tweaks to free up mem, etc, are of no use to me.

Then you have spent a great deal of time commenting on something that holds no interest for yourself. Others here might express an interest or want to give it a spin.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Just stating my opinion. You don't have to like it. Having done all of this stuff makes my opinion slightly valid, whether you personally like it or not.

Seeing YoungPro, FredYama, and Shamino I DO have interest in...which is why i started posting in this thread in the first place.

Only half of my posts have been about my opinion on the validity for the majority of users of such demonstrations. The rest have been anwering questions.

I also think sub-zero clockers holding back on what tweaks they use, is a bit underhanded.