• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

wd20ears & callisto ssd, system recognizing problem

System Name Good enough
Processor I5 3570k
Motherboard ASrock Z68 Extreme 7
Cooling Megahalem
Memory 16G crucial sport BLS2KIT8G3D1339DS1S00
Video Card(s) 1080 ti strix
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III
Display(s) 3440 x 1440 microboard
Case Lian Li Knockoff ABS black pearl
Audio Device(s) HyperX 7.1
Power Supply Evga SuperNOVA 1600.
Mouse Corsair's newest pos mmo mouse
Keyboard Das with the blue switches.
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores Not really.
I bought a 128 gigabyte Mushkin callisto 2.5 ssd off this board recently, reinstalled windows and went to wipe the wd20ears drive and windows couldn't find it.

So I went and had windows try and locate the device, it found it and installed some driver. I rebooted, went into bios. Bios only sees the WD drive, not the ssd but when the system goes to boot into windows, windows sees two installs of win 7 and can boot into either hd.

So if I load into the WD drive on windows it recognizes the ssd but if I boot into the ssd drive it can't see the WD drive.:cry:

I really want to install steam on the wd drive so I can finally stop deleting games to play other games. Any ideas on a fix?

*Edit* Additionally the device manager saw the drive, when I attempted to have it try and update the software it said it was up to date and then it disappeared from the device manager disk drive area. *Sigh*

Last edited:
System Name HTPC||Lenovo IBM ThinkPad
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 965 stock 3.4GHz||Intel C2D T9300 @ 2.5GHz
Motherboard Zotac 890GX-ITX WiFi||Lenovo 8918CTO
Cooling Stock 3x 120's||Stock stuff
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 6-6-6-15||3GB DDR2
Video Card(s) Asus 3870x2||nVidia Quadro NVS 140M
Storage 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 1x 2TB WD EARX ||Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM
Display(s) Samsung T260HD||
Case SilverStone Grandia GD05||
Audio Device(s) on-board||on-board
Power Supply Cooler Master 450W||6-cell
Software Windows 7 Pro x64||Windows 7 Pro x64/Linux Mint x64
Try to boot into a Win 7 dvd and see if that see's it. If it does, format the WD.
If it doesn't, I dunno. It's weird the BIOS see's it but Windows will not. When booted into the SSD, try to
Scan for Hardware changes in Device Manager.

System Name Good enough
Processor I5 3570k
Motherboard ASrock Z68 Extreme 7
Cooling Megahalem
Memory 16G crucial sport BLS2KIT8G3D1339DS1S00
Video Card(s) 1080 ti strix
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 VTX4-25SAT3-128G 2.5" 128GB SATA III
Display(s) 3440 x 1440 microboard
Case Lian Li Knockoff ABS black pearl
Audio Device(s) HyperX 7.1
Power Supply Evga SuperNOVA 1600.
Mouse Corsair's newest pos mmo mouse
Keyboard Das with the blue switches.
Software win 10
Benchmark Scores Not really.
Try to boot into a Win 7 dvd and see if that see's it. If it does, format the WD.
If it doesn't, I dunno. It's weird the BIOS see's it but Windows will not. When booted into the SSD, try to
Scan for Hardware changes in Device Manager.

Great idea, I'll just unplug the ssd and try that. I tried using Dban to do the same thing but it kept erroring out, will post back if it works or not.

*edit*

Format worked, windows still doesn't find an E drive. System manager does see it though, I'll uninstall it and go looking for software. If anyone else has an idea I'd love to hear it.

*edit* Apparently Win7 has a disk management feature, I just needed to manually assign the drive.

Last edited:

plugmein

I have had some issues when activating the device while windows is running, but everything is fine when you boot the system with everything ready to go. It doesn't sound like this is your exact issue, but I am starting to wonder if the two might be related.