• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Tech in schools proving useless

System Name Old Skool
Processor E6750 @ 3.6 ghz
Motherboard GA P35 DS3L
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283v
Memory 4gb Kingston DDR2 @ 900mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 9800GT 512MB
Storage SAMSUNG 320gb
Display(s) VIEWSONIC vx2260wm
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Realtek (on board) + Logitech x540
Power Supply CM 550w
Software W7 Ultimate 64
The oceans are becoming emptified (just made that word up)

This ones not right though, with climate change, it will be the opposite.

Haha, got your point though, in the aftermath of the second world war, people were optimists, then the cloud of the iron curtain came and threw in doom, now its terrorists! I guess its what drives people forward. Fear.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus
Memory GSkill 8GB Dual Channel DDR4-2800
Video Card(s) MSI GamingX RX580 4GB
Storage Kingston V300 240GB SSD + WD Green 2TB
Display(s) ACER K212HL 27" + Haier 55" + Lenovo Explorer Mixed Reality Headset
Case Enermax Ostrog (Red)
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA B2 750W
Software Win10 64bit
@Hoss : You brought kids into this world because they are the single most precious thing you will ever have. You will teach them life is not fair and they are going to have to work and fight for what they feel is right, and you are going to watch them grow-up and become self-sufficient.
When you watch them leave the home to follow thier own dreams, you will be more proud of them than anyone without children could ever imagine.
There is nothing else like it.

You are right and I love the way you put it, but I fear for their future.

Hedonism is eating to western kids. Cut their facebook/smartphone/fancy-clothes BS. Reintroduce school uniform code, reintroduce corporal punishments, reintroduce mark/rank-based merit assessment system. Problem solved. What western educators are doing is the exact opposite. They think drenching kids into unregulated technology that can entertain more than educate and liberalising school life will somehow make kids smarter. No! It will make them hedonistic at a very young age. It will put them on path to an unsustainable life.

What the heck?

I understand bringing back some of the punishments to the school system. Having run through the US public school system myself, I know that often the only discipline is internal from the value system you've installed in yourself. In other words, the school didn't discipline me, I disciplined myself.

This said, you've gone a bit off the deep end. In India school is a priviledge, in the US it's basically cheap babysitting. We will have to pay for this idiocy sooner or later....

I think it's more a sign that US schools are failing than more tech not helping.

Agreed. No child left behind, then the litany of hate that followed, damaged the US. Our school systems have been on the decline for years, but parents are unwilling to allow teachers to met out punishment. Having no consequences, in the child's perception at least, breeds children that don't feel that education is a priviledge. This will be the downfall of the public education system in the long run.

Using presentation devices in a classroom as a teaching tool has been around for decades. For instance, showing a historical documentary (movie) and then initiating discourse to get the students thinking, or using overhead projectors.

Tech for the sake of making things easier for the students should not be used unless the student(s) can prove they can accomplish the same task without the device.

Just my opinion.

Dang skippy. I remember watching VHS tapes to understand WWII, human biology, and scince. Technology made a textbook fit into a couple of videos, and gave me a less dry way of learning.

On the other hand, I've experienced "movie days" whenever a teacher was too lazy, or didn't want to broach the next subject. Technology doesn't teach children.

Either a teacher makes the subject interesting enough for the student to want to teach themselves, or they ram the subject down a student's mouth to supress the gag reflex. Any other teaching methodology is going to fall flat, because the knowledge isn't interesting enough or ingrained deeply enough.

Some students fall into the self teaching category. You have gifted and talented programs for them. The students on the opposite end go to special classes and get attention from negative actions. Those students in the middle are without either attention, and flounder.

I guess this author (cited article for this thread, not those that comment) thought that tech would be the magical panacea that gave those in the middle the attention they actually deserved. Looking at this problem wholistically; unless the tech is the nannybot 9000, and allowed to deliver negative and positive reinforcement, it won't come anywhere close to solving the problem

Id batter the teacher who hit my child (if i had one), its unregulated abuse, regulated abuse would be even worse as that's borderline fascism.

There is always a reason a child is a little shit, they don't just do things for no reason. You need to tackle a root problem not just beat a child, if you just hit them they don't learn its wrong to misbehave they learn not to get caught or they take out the abuse on other children in the playground or carry it into the home.

Ill batter your children see how you like it chances are you wont and i will be arrested for assault and child abuse. Cynical? no not really as to me that's the hard cold facts. If corporal punishment was so great in the first place why was it abolished? THINK ABOUT IT FOR A MOMENT. Also you act like most children are out of control when its a tiny percentage that could be dealt with in other manners.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
You are right and I love the way you put it, but I fear for their future.

You worry no more than any other good parent who has gone before you or will come after.

The purpose of a school is to educate your children in what they will need to be able to compete in the job market successfully and/or continue on to get an advanced degree is a specialized discipline.
It is not there to babysit kids because the parents have no interest in doing that themselves. Unfortunately, that is not the reality especially in many urban public schools.

Schools, especially elementary schools and high schools, should not be wasting time or money teaching social agendas and other BS. It is the parents job to raise the kids, not the school's.

If a child is neglected, undisciplined and left to run amock, no amount of tech in a school is going to make any difference.

Again, just my opinion. :)

casual swift

System Name My Little Guy
Processor Intel i5 750 Quad Core @ 2.67Ghz
Motherboard Asus p7p55d
Cooling Fan Cooled
Memory 4gb Crosair xms-3 DDR3 Ram
Video Card(s) XFX HD5870 XXX Edition
Storage 500GB HDD
Display(s) Samsung 23" 1920x1080p
Case Antec 900
Power Supply Galaxy 1000w
Software Windows Vista 64bit
Hedonism is eating to western kids. Cut their facebook/smartphone/fancy-clothes BS. Reintroduce school uniform code, reintroduce corporal punishments, reintroduce mark/rank-based merit assessment system. Problem solved. What western educators are doing is the exact opposite. They think drenching kids into unregulated technology that can entertain more than educate and liberalising school life will somehow make kids smarter. No! It will make them hedonistic at a very young age. It will put them on path to an unsustainable life.

+1 Agreed

System Name Turbo_Fighter/Pitbull
Processor AMD FX-9590/Intel i7 6700K 4.7GHZ @ 1.41 volts
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0/Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
Cooling Corsair H105/Corsair H100iv2
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Ares/32 GB G.Skill Trident-Z
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon R9 Fury X/Sapphire R9 Nano
Storage Mix of HDDs SSDs Externals and a 256GB Samsung M.2 in the pitbull
Display(s) 24" Nixeus 144hz freesync/24'' Benq XL2420TE/21.5'' Asus VH226/Panasonic 42" Plasma
Case White Phantom NZXT/Fractal Define Nano S
Audio Device(s) MayFlower O2 ODAC/HT Omega Claro+/Turtlebeach Earforce DSS
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i/Thermaltake Smart 650Watt(EVGA GS 650 Watt took a shit on me)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores They can run Crysis.
I was told to never use my brain and only use my calculator, eventually i went from perfect math grades to mediocre grades. Since then I made it my mission to avoid educational establishments and try to learn everything by myself. That being said, google, and the internet as a whole has actually taught me more about this world and its history more than school has.

casual swift

System Name My Little Guy
Processor Intel i5 750 Quad Core @ 2.67Ghz
Motherboard Asus p7p55d
Cooling Fan Cooled
Memory 4gb Crosair xms-3 DDR3 Ram
Video Card(s) XFX HD5870 XXX Edition
Storage 500GB HDD
Display(s) Samsung 23" 1920x1080p
Case Antec 900
Power Supply Galaxy 1000w
Software Windows Vista 64bit

bostonbuddy

It's because power point is a buisness presentation tool being misused as a teaching aid.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
The tech in my high school didn't help much. Computers all over the place and all they could do was browse the net... and for game websites that weren't blocked most of the time. I did all of the computer work at home, on a computer that wasn't locked down, was set up the way I was used to, and had all my files and such right there... not stuck at school and not able to take it back home with me cause everything was blocked, restricted and incompatable to the point where legitimately using the computers were next to useless. The best thing we had was the smart boards which were commonly seen in the math classrooms... and then the notes would then be posted online, where I could look at them at home if needed.