• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OWC Announces Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G SSD for Macbook Air

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Other World Computing (OWC), a leading zero emissions Mac and PC technology company, announced today the industry's first 6G SSD upgrade for the 2011 Apple MacBook Air 11.1" and 13.3"models. The new OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G SSDs combine award-winning SandForce technologies and Tier 1/Grade A Toggle Synchronous NAND to deliver data rates that are more than 3x faster and capacities that are up to 4x greater than factory available SSD options. Currently available in two sizes--120GB and 240GB--the new 6Gb/s SATA 3.0 Revision models continue OWC's position as the only alternative to factory SSD options for the 2010-2011 MacBook Air. 3G speed models from OWC are also available in capacities of up to 480GB.

The OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G offers 2011 MacBook Air owners a cost-effective SSD upgrade path that delivers higher performance, functionality, and reliability over the factory installed SSD. Because the Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G SSD is SATA Revision 3.0 (6Gb/s) compatible, it can take advantage of the 2011 MacBook Air's built-in 6Gb/s SATA data bus to deliver peak, sustained data rates over 500MB/s, versus the factory installed SSDs, which are limited by SATA Revision 2.0 (3Gb/s) capability.

No Slow-down with Repeated Use
While ordinary SSDs initially offer fast read/write performance; they experience significant write speed degradation over repeated usage. Independent simulation tests conducted by leading drive performance experts like MacPerformanceGuide confirm OWC Mercury SSD's ultra-efficient Block Management & Wear Leveling technologies are able to eliminate virtually any reduction in data transfer speeds over heavy, long-term usage without dependency on less-than-effective OS TRIM management.

Up to 100X Greater Data Protection
Utilizing SandForce DuraClass technology, the OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G provides an increase of up to 100X in data protection, compared to ordinary SSDs and leading enterprise-class hard disk drives. By combining the highest level of Error Correction Code (ECC) and SandForce RAISE (Redundant Array of Independent Silicon Elements) technology, along with 7% over provisioning, the Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G provides RAID-like data protection and reliability without loss of transfer speed due to parity.

"As the first and only SSD alternative to factory installed options in Apple's 2010 and 2011 MacBook Air models, the Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G sets the bar high. We're extremely excited to offer this model which completely eclipses any factory installed SSD and gives MacBook Air users the leading performance our Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G SSDs have been delivering to MacBook Pro, iMac, Mac Pro, and PC owners," said Larry O'Connor, Founder and CEO, Other World Computing. "Our new Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G models enable 2011 MacBook Air owners to unleash substantially higher performance capabilities that are otherwise unrealized and limited by the factory drive."

OWC's new Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G leverages the proven success of its previously released 3G model. 2010-2011 MacBook Air owners seeking maximum storage/backup capacity can replace their factory installed SSD with up to 8x greater capacity offered by the OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express 3G SSD. Available in capacities up to 480GB, the 3G model SSD also delivers up to 68% faster performance in real world use.

Pricing, Availability
Compatible with 11.1" and 13.3" 2011 MacBook Air models, the OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G is available now from Other World Computing as well as through select retailers. Both models include 7% over provisioning, Toggle Synchronous NAND and a three-year warranty. The 120GB version has an MSRP of $349.99 and the 240GB version has an MSRP of $599.99. For more information on the OWC Mercury Aura Pro Express 6G SSD for 2011 MacBook Air line, including reseller inquires, visit: http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
What do you do with your old drive? How do you get the data across to the new drive?

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Their site recommends you transfer your data to an external drive prior to this upgrade. Which means you will be doing a fresh OS reinstall.

Option 2 is to pray to the Apple God, Machitoshi Zorra for assistance. Please note that being worthy enough to have Machitoshi Zorra respond to your plea is based on your income.

P.S. I could save you some time and prayer. The answer is "There is an app for that."

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Motherboard MSI Z390 A PRO
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000mhz
Video Card(s) PALIT RTX 4070 Dual 12Gb
Storage 2X Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, Samsung 850 pro 512gb SSD
Display(s) DELL C34H89x 34" Ultrawide
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Audioengine A5+ Speakers
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 64bit
Their site recommends you transfer your data to an external drive prior to this upgrade. Which means you will be doing a fresh OS reinstall.

Option 2 is to pray to the Apple God, Machitoshi Zorra for assistance. Please note that being worthy enough to have Machitoshi Zorra respond to your plea is based on your income.

P.S. I could save you some time and prayer. The answer is "There is an app for that."

yeah like always its easier with a mac, and faster too :D

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)

Wrong. :laugh:

Mac users have to do fresh installs much less frequently than Windows users, especially when it comes to hardware changes. That is a fact.

What do you do with your old drive? How do you get the data across to the new drive?

Carbon Copy Cloner
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/7032/carbon-copy-cloner

Flawless Mac drive cloning. I've been using it for years and wish there were something similar for Windows but haven't seen it yet. Depending on the size of your drive this will completely clone your new drive to be bootable in a matter of minutes.

The developer, Mike Bombich is incredible guy when it comes to bug fixes and helping users (even those of us who haven't paid!). I could be wrong but I think he is buddies with the people over at OWC as well. (OWC advertises in the "free" version of Carbon Copy Cloner.)

I would personally use one of those USB 2.0 to SATA connectors/docking bays and a spare drive or external hard drive. You can sell or hold on to your old drive as a spare. There will probably be some demand with people looking for replacements in the future.

Last edited:
System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
I have been wanting a Macbook Air for pentesting, but the SSD's have been too small and or too slow, I am very much interested in these.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Wrong. :laugh:

Mac users have to do fresh installs much less frequently than Windows users, especially when it comes to hardware changes. That is a fact.

Carbon Copy Cloner
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/7032/carbon-copy-cloner

Flawless Mac drive cloning. I've been using it for years and wish there were something similar for Windows but haven't seen it yet. Depending on the size of your drive this will completely clone your new drive to be bootable in a matter of minutes.

The developer, Mike Bombich is incredible guy when it comes to bug fixes and helping users (even those of us who haven't paid!). I could be wrong but I think he is buddies with the people over at OWC as well. (OWC advertises in the "free" version of Carbon Copy Cloner.)

I would personally use one of those USB 2.0 to SATA connectors/docking bays and a spare drive or external hard drive. You can sell or hold on to your old drive as a spare. There will probably be some demand with people looking for replacements in the future.

Be careful, your fanboy is showing.

I will simply ignore your comment about Windows reinstalls because I don't care enough to explain why that information is not accurate. It just takes too much time.

As for the drive cloning...first I know like 12 programs off the top of my head that will perfectly clone a PC HDD's data to another. But since you have never seen one, here is a TPU favorite for your enjoyment: Acronis True Image

And if your special little software was actually flawless, it wouldn't have bugs to fix in the first place. There is no such thing as flawless software. Moving on to the actual use, I notice that Carbon Copy Cloner (which is good software by the way) requires an OS to function as it runs within the OS. Since you are removing the only persistent storage, there will be no OS in place to clone the data from the external back to your system drive. Macbook Air does have additional slots for a direct transfer. Which brings us back to the reinstall I mentioned. Either that or find software that runs off of a bootable disk. I can think of 2 Linux programs that will do that and 1 is free.

The docking bay is a ok idea, but I am not sure they make one for this drives rather strange form factor. Also the connection the drive has is PCIe not SATA, so you dock will not work. I am honestly not sure if they make a dock or cable to go from PCIe to anything that would help in this situation. And if you did find one, why limit the speed of an SSD to USB 2.0 bandwidth? Why not use any other current connector as they are all faster than USB 2.0 at this point?

Last edited: