• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sunday Special: PC Gaming On the Rise, Set To Outsell Consoles by 2014 - NVIDIA

All games are developed "on" PC hardware, just not "for" PC hardware.
There are no software developement environments that run on a console, AFAIK.
Would be a nightmare writing code with a controller. :D

Just as it is a nightmare for us PC gamers to use stupid arrow keys to navigate main menus... we have a poining device called "mouse"... For those developers who still don't get it...

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I agree with that, RejZoR.

System Name HAL
Processor Core i5 2500K
Motherboard Asus P8P67 Pro Rev3.1
Cooling stock
Memory 2x4GB Kingston 1600Mhz Blu
Video Card(s) Asus 560Ti DirectCuII TOP
Storage Kingston 120 3K SSD,WD Black WD1502FAEX
Display(s) LG 1440x900
Case Chieftec Mesh Midi
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX750V2
Software w8
Looks like Digital Sales saved the PC.
I think they earn a lot of cash with older titles at lower prices and it wasn't possible without the ability to sell it via web.

Plus its a good way for those who missed a title to play it. Either because you haven't noticed it or because you were too young to play that. Or you haven't even been born... So yeah, services like GOG are really cool in fact.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
irrelevant statement from nvidia

as the new consoles reach market the games for these will be made and again the chart will switch

unfortunately we'll have less&less 1st pc game releases only stupid ports with endless patches...

Benetanegia

This is just a marketing stunt by Nvidia, and should be taken as that. Of course their conclusions are optimistic, it's the typical marketing BS. As a PC gamer I'd like it to be true though.

However it should be noted that the data comes from DFC (as is specified in the charts), which is a market research and consulting firm centered on the gaming bussiness since 1993 (I googled DFC to see what it is). Nvidia is just basing these charts in DFC's forecasts released recently, just like I supose many other companies whose bussines is centered around gaming are doing at least to a degree, I guess they use many sources.

http://www.dfcint.com/wp/?p=311
http://www.dfcint.com/wp/?p=48

My point is that Nvidia is not "smoking anything" or doing anything like that as it has been suggested more than once, they are just using which is (probably) the most optimistic forecast out there, because it benefits them. But the forecast is legit and is out there for anyone to use. I think it is important to be accurate on this, a market research firm has published these results, it's not wishful thinking on Nvidia's part. Whether DFC is smoking anything or not, that's a different thing, but I guess that if they are in the bussiness since 1993 it means they do their work as well as any other market research firm.

EDIT: I'd like to also point out that the decrease on concole games makes a lot of sense to me. Next-gen consoles are expected sometime around 2014 or 2015 last time I heard. So I expect far lower console games sales from 1 year prior to the release to 1 year after the release. The reasons are

1- No more Xbox360/PS3 consoles sold in anticipation of the new gen, which means no growth in that market. In part is this influx of new consoles which drives a large proportion of games sales. People with new consoles need to build up a portfolio of games. People with a good portfolio tend to buy a lot less.

2- People will save up for a new console, so that will prevent them from buying games other than the most anticipated ones.

That was true when Xbox360 and PS3 were released* and it will be true again in the future, and that's without accounting for the fact that PC gaming is becoming much stronger (awareness, digital distribution, stronger IGP/basic GPU) and that mobile devices such as phones or tablets may steal a large part of casual gamers off consoles.

* And even then sales were probably better than they could have been if both consoles had been released at the same time, since PS2 games still sold a lot more than XB360 or PS3 games most probably will in the coming years, because the past generation sold a lot more consoles than this one, specifically the PS2.

Last edited:
Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
the thing that keeps the console market going is piracy.

looking at the overall picture, consoles have less piracy then pc based titles do.

But it has second hand resellers.

Quantic Dream потеряла от 5 до 10 млн. евро от продаж Heavy Rain на вторичном рынке.

В качестве примера можно привести Heavy Rain, мы продали примерно 2 млн. копий игры, а по данным системы трофеев выходит, что ее купили и поиграли в нее более 3 млн. человек.

Получается, что более 1 млн. человек играли в Heavy Rain, не заплатив нам за это ни цента.

http://www.gametech.ru/cgi-bin/show.pl?option=news&id=23548

Because they are noobs. How many years took to release PS3 Jailbreak? Ubisoft PC DRM hacked in seconds.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
that said, i think this issue still stands that purchasing PC hardware is much more expensive vs a console, as well, while PC games are developed for ever expanding hardware, consoles obviously do not change. )

Naw it isn't most people have a PC and a console anyway. So for example buy a £300 pc as normal.

Instead of spending up to £200 pounds on a console, buy a £100 graphics card and a controller if you're playing 3rd person games and bam, a device that does everything.

Lets not forget all the £20 savings you get from buying pc games vs console games ( typical retail price for console games is £50 at launch here, PC games are 29.99 typically )

Regarding longevity, if you run your games at console settings then no need to upgrade. at all.

Processor Intel
Motherboard MSI
Cooling Cooler Master
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Nvidia
Storage Samsung/Western Digital/ADATA
Display(s) Samsung
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Seasonic
Mouse A4TECH
Keyboard UniKey
Software Windows 10 x64
System Name Gamers PC
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.80 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3
Cooling Corsair H50 Cooler
Memory Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Storage 2 x WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA300 w/64MB Buffer (RAID 0)
Display(s) Samsung 2494SW 1080p 24" WS LCD HD
Case CM HAF 932 Full Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI TITANIUM -PCIE x 1
Power Supply Corsair TX Series CMPSU-650TX (650W)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
This. 3 next gen consoles. 3 AMD design wins. Hence Nvidia's new mantra.
Fully agree, it all has do to with the screwup of the original XBOX overheating and such. AMD won all the design wins for the PlayStation 4, XBOX 720 and the Wii 2HD......

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Fully agree, it all has do to with the screwup of the original XBOX overheating and such. AMD won all the design wins for the PlayStation 4, XBOX 720 and the Wii 2HD......

What, nvidia engage in marketing fud? Never!

/nvidia fanboy here. :p

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Ok, maybe it is just me but this slide makes no sense at all to me. WTF is nVidia smoking to even try to pass that off. I mean I get that they just lost bids for both next gen consoles to AMD and want to downplay consoles, but this slide is just stupid.

So for the past 3 years PC sales have gone up, so they assume that for the next 3 years they will continue to go up. Ok, that is fine. However, for the past 3 years console sales have been going up too. So why, for any reason, would they assume that console sales will go down for the next 3 years? What sense does that make?

So

Past growth in PCs = Future Growth in PCs

but

Past growth in Consoles = Future decline in Consoles

I want what they're smokin'.

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/11-09-25/nvidia_trends_01.png

Big fat doobies

because the rate of growth is slowing, and no new consoles are due til 2015

Yes but that chart as this year 2011 went up and their predicting it's going go down every year from next year. There is no fact that this will happen, in fact more might buy console games thinking there console will be good for another 2-3 years before the next gen console is out.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
Big fat doobies

Yes but that chart as this year 2011 went up and their predicting it's going go down every year from next year. There is no fact that this will happen, in fact more might buy console games thinking there console will be good for another 2-3 years before the next gen console is out.

obviously you didn't read beneteneiga's post above.