• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to enable additional shaders on Radeon HD 6950

Status
Not open for further replies.

autior

System Name Yessir
Processor Intel Sandy Bridge i5 2500k
Motherboard AsRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3
Cooling Stock
Memory 2 x Corsair Low Profile 4GB (1600Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI 6950 2GB Twin Frozr 3 OC Edition
Storage Western Digital Black Caviar 750GB (7200 RPM)
Display(s) Philips 17"
Case Corsair 650D
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Edition
System Name Red Giant
Processor Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI 4070TI Super
Storage 960 GB Sandisk SSD
Display(s) 27 inch Predator 144 hz 2k
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro
Just to clarify having two of the same video card works just as well as a Dual BIOS switch as long as I flash one card at a time?

autior

System Name Yessir
Processor Intel Sandy Bridge i5 2500k
Motherboard AsRock Z68 Extreme 4 Gen 3
Cooling Stock
Memory 2 x Corsair Low Profile 4GB (1600Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI 6950 2GB Twin Frozr 3 OC Edition
Storage Western Digital Black Caviar 750GB (7200 RPM)
Display(s) Philips 17"
Case Corsair 650D
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Edition
If you want to flash + overclocking then ( +20% PowerTune) increase gives more stability when working.

Ok, thanks for your help. ;)

epa

I did not flash the bios I just flipped the dual bios switch. I am attaching it.

Only the shaders unlocked, I have overclocked to 6970 clocks with trixxx and I have a gpu voltage of 1.1 which is the 6950's voltage if I'm not mistaken. If it is does it mean it's a 6950 bios with unlocked shaders?
yes your bios is the same as a standart 6950 bois with unlocked shaders(like rbe modded)
i checked and its bit for bit the same.
but in my saphire dirt 3 it doesnt unlock shaders.
seems it is pretty random with those cards,wether it unlocks or not(your lucky)
2 pages back someone has 2 of these cards 1 unlocks ,the other doesnt.

xgimp

Hello

I have an XFX HD 6950 2GB (695X-CNFC VA.1) which has the following specifications:

CAYMAN PRO BIOS Hill GDDR5
ATI-ATOMBIOSBK VER013.010.000.007.039363

And I'm trying to unlock .. but I'm not succeeding .. I have tried to unlock the scripts and
also use the HD6970 firmware, and some gave nothing

So I ask noble colleagues .. how can I take to unlock my video card? Please help me!

thanks

thedan82

Hi All,

I have a MSI reference 6950 that I unlocked the shaders and OC to 6970 specs a while back.

Now looking at adding a 2nd 6950 and hopefully unlocking it to run same specs in CF.

I would like to order from the below site ( I am in Australia ) so if someone who is up on the recent models can please take a look at the models available below and provide a recommendation -

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=193_1179

I know its a bit of a lottery on what new models can be unlocked but thought some might be better then others.

Cheers
Dan

gebastos

Hi All,

I have a MSI reference 6950 that I unlocked the shaders and OC to 6970 specs a while back.

Now looking at adding a 2nd 6950 and hopefully unlocking it to run same specs in CF.

I would like to order from the below site ( I am in Australia ) so if someone who is up on the recent models can please take a look at the models available below and provide a recommendation -

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=193_1179

I know its a bit of a lottery on what new models can be unlocked but thought some might be better then others.

Cheers
Dan

I sucefully flash this videocard
but i have one problem - but I can not flash back to the HD6950.:confused:
in anyway - it's a lottery.

gebastos

Hello

I have an XFX HD 6950 2GB (695X-CNFC VA.1) which has the following specifications:

CAYMAN PRO BIOS Hill GDDR5
ATI-ATOMBIOSBK VER013.010.000.007.039363

And I'm trying to unlock .. but I'm not succeeding .. I have tried to unlock the scripts and
also use the HD6970 firmware, and some gave nothing

So I ask noble colleagues .. how can I take to unlock my video card? Please help me!

thanks

Try using different BIOS versions and different WinFlash version...

xgimp

friend .. already tried various bios and WinFlash too! and not right! when I put any bios other than the original video card does not boot ..
please some kind soul try to make the release of my video card.

thanks

System Name Whatever 2
Processor Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard P8P67 (non-pro)
Cooling ThermalRight 120 extreme
Memory 16gb GSkill DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 6950> 6970 (shader unlocked)
Storage OCZ Vertex2, WD RE4 500gb
Display(s) Dell 24" LCD
Case Antec 900
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI
Power Supply Seasonic 700W
Software Windows 7 PRO 64bit

vedar

I am trying to unlock one of these cards http://reviewiptv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Sapphire-HD-6950.jpg a sapphire 2gb.

I have modified the bios image but I can not flash it to the card as I get the error 'cannot erase rom' with atiwinflash. So i ran the command to unlock it which the atiwinflash seemed to run through with no problem, a quick progress bar came up briefly and completed although no message or anything at the end however I then tried to flash the bios again and get the same message 'cannot erase rom'. I assume it is locked in some way, is there any known workaround for this problem?

epa

friend .. already tried various bios and WinFlash too! and not right! when I put any bios other than the original video card does not boot ..
please some kind soul try to make the release of my video card.

thanks
you should use the rbe method,to modifie your own bios.even when the shaders do not unlock ,the card still works normal.

epa

I am trying to unlock one of these cards http://reviewiptv.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Sapphire-HD-6950.jpg a sapphire 2gb.

I have modified the bios image but I can not flash it to the card as I get the error 'cannot erase rom' with atiwinflash. So i ran the command to unlock it which the atiwinflash seemed to run through with no problem, a quick progress bar came up briefly and completed although no message or anything at the end however I then tried to flash the bios again and get the same message 'cannot erase rom'. I assume it is locked in some way, is there any known workaround for this problem?
flip the switch on the card.

branflake12

Will the 1Gb cards unlock/speed up/etc?

Hey guys,
I just got an MSI twinFrozr III 1 GB 6950. I found the vortez.net MSI "custom" unlocking BIOS for this. I cant get it to work. Boot to command prompt, write the new BIOS, says its good, card wont boot. flip the swtich back and restore again.

Someone elsewhere said that the 1GB cards wont work. If i cant get the custom BIOS (really a tuned 6950, not a true 6970) to work, can i at least unlock the voltage slider? (tried just changed the afterburner.cfg to =1, but no go) or get the OC'ing limits raised?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Logoman

I also have XFX 695x CNFC (Nonreference, no Bios switch)
and when i use the unlock command, a progress bar goes to 40% and disappears
and when i try to flash with Wizard's .bin, another progress bar appears, goes to 40% and disappears

needless to say, my shaders remain at 1408
anyone else have luck on this? Ive also heard that this card can't be unlocked

System Name my rig
Processor phenom II x2 555 BE
Motherboard Asrock 880 GM-LE
Cooling Corsair H80
Memory 2x2gb Team Elite 1333mhz
Video Card(s) Unlocked Asus EAH6950 DCU II 2gb
Storage 500gb WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung 22"
Case Thermaltake V4 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) n/a
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 600W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
First of all lets just all leave the unlocking to the reference model ..it has been stated in all over reviews and forums that unlocking the shaders does not really acquire much performance. why would you risk your card for a 5% gain? when you can overclock your card to 10% to 20% more performance than flashing or unlocking it. also flashing it to 6970? of you're lucky enough or your card might be lucky enough it would unlock but then the life span of your card will be shorter..it's like killing you're card slowly.

By the way I have Asus HD6950 Direct CU II 2gb (EAH6950) and its a really nice card. no need for unlocking or flashingthis one, because i can overclock it 950/1325 without bumping the voltage. and its rock solid!! so in my end i would rather have the new rev. card because for the Two Fans and Large heatsinks they are so powerful when overclocking.

P.S. if you still want to flash you card or unlock it. its you're decision. Im just Opening up my opinion to save your card.

Processor Athlon II X4 630
Motherboard Biostar TA790GXBE
Cooling TRUE Rev. C
Memory 4GB DDR2
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6950 2GB (Xtreme Plus II mod)
Storage Samsung 2TB
Display(s) HP 19" CRT
Audio Device(s) on-board Realtek
Power Supply OCZ 400W
Software Win7 x64 Ultimate
I've got a Powercolor 6950 2GB non-ref and that unlocked just fine.

Why do you think unlocking the shaders is any worse than overclocking the card? Both will obviously make the card do more work and run hotter, so both will probably "kill your card slowly" or reduce it's lifespan, but if it's reduced from e.g. 10 to 8 years, I don't suppose anyone will care.

I've just bought an Accelero Xtreme Plus II anyway, which will make the card run much cooler than with any stock heatsink, and quieter. I just used a custom fan profile in Afterburner up till now, to keep the card below a certain temperature, but it was just too noisy for me.

cobes1974

Script Mod

Hey guys,

card: Diamond HD6950 2gb version 2 (dual fans)

i used the php scirpt used to mod my original 6950 bios and it booted up fine. when i checked the shaders in gpu-z, i still have stock stats..

i've also tried to use ati's bios mod tool and unlocked the shaders that way as well. after i flashed, half way through post i get a blue screen.

any ideas on how to just get the shaders unlocked and the stock gpu & memory limits raised?

System Name my rig
Cooling Corsair H80
Storage 500gb WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung 22"
Audio Device(s) n/a
Why do you think unlocking the shaders is any worse than overclocking the card? Both will obviously make the card do more work and run hotter, so both will probably "kill your card slowly" or reduce it's lifespan, but if it's reduced from e.g. 10 to 8 years, I don't suppose anyone will care.

it's just my opinion though:p because as i read and search almost all article regarding unlocking and flashing only the lucky one's was able to unlock with no issues and flashing without having any issues.:rockout: and as what I've said as for the rev. card with those 2 fans and heatsinks it can instantly overcome 6970 with just plain overclocking.:rockout:

Largoh

System Name Naru SB
Processor i5 2500k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Extreme 6 P67
Cooling CoolIt ECO ALC
Memory 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaw 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus HD6950 2GB DirectCU II (OC 950, 1375)
Storage OCZ 60GB Vertex II SSD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster
Case Antec 600
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply Coolermaster 550W
Software Win 7 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mega highs!
I just got my Asus 6950 2GB DirectCU II. It has a switch on it.
Tried unlocking the card but the shaders always remain at 1408 although the clockspeed changes to 890 and the memory changes to 1375.
I overclocked it to 950 on 1.1v and it runs fine so far.

Stumped about the shaders though.

Processor Athlon II X4 630
Motherboard Biostar TA790GXBE
Cooling TRUE Rev. C
Memory 4GB DDR2
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6950 2GB (Xtreme Plus II mod)
Storage Samsung 2TB
Display(s) HP 19" CRT
Audio Device(s) on-board Realtek
Power Supply OCZ 400W
Software Win7 x64 Ultimate
it's just my opinion though:p because as i read and search almost all article regarding unlocking and flashing only the lucky one's was able to unlock with no issues and flashing without having any issues.:rockout: and as what I've said as for the rev. card with those 2 fans and heatsinks it can instantly overcome 6970 with just plain overclocking.:rockout:

Guess I'm one of the "lucky ones" :p

You're lucky with your overclock. I have to bump my voltage up to 1.174v to run at 920/1375 and my card's stock cooler has 2 fans and a fancy heatsink. To be honest, I don't see any connection between the fans/heatsink and needing to increase the voltage to overclock, and I don't know why some cards can reach a certain overclock at stock volts, whilst others need to overvolt to get there.

Having a good heatsink should allow you to increase the voltage (and thus the heat) MORE than with a crappy heatsink though

System Name my rig
Cooling Corsair H80
Storage 500gb WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung 22"
Audio Device(s) n/a
Guess I'm one of the "lucky ones" :p

You're lucky with your overclock. I have to bump my voltage up to 1.174v to run at 920/1375 and my card's stock cooler has 2 fans and a fancy heatsink. To be honest, I don't see any connection between the fans/heatsink and needing to increase the voltage to overclock, and I don't know why some cards can reach a certain overclock at stock volts, whilst others need to overvolt to get there.

Good to hear:rockout:

what 3rd party program did you use to bump your voltage? I've got MSI AB 2.10 but still i can't bump my voltage even i checked the unlocked voltage control. and set the MS AB.cfg to 1 and unlock the overclocking but still the voltage slider won't work. i want to reach 1ghz and 1400.

Also i have CCC 11.9 but i cant see my ATI Overdrive, the only thing i see is the AMD Overdrive..weird..

Last edited:

DnDiene

I have a Club3D HD6950 1gb

Loaded bios from card with WinFlash. Opened bios in RBE. Set '6970 shader count'. Saved bios.

Then tried using WinFlash to flash the card but 'Could not erase ROM'

So I tried atiwinflash -unlockrom 0 and then atiwinflash -f -p 0 unlock.rom. Flash succesfull. But after reboot I get a bluescreen during boot.

Set the switch back to 2 and now it boots. How to proceed? Is it possible for me to somehow still get 6970 shader count?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.