• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Patriot Memory Announces New Second Gen Pyro SE SSD

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Patriot Memory, a global pioneer in high-performance memory, NAND flash, storage, and enthusiast computer products, today expanded their Pyro brand of SATA III solid-state drives with the launch of its new Pyro SE. Powered by SandForce's SF-2281 SSD processor, the Patriot Memory Pyro SE brings the added performance of synchronous NAND to the brand while offering a very aggressive price per performance ratio.

To ensure rock-solid performance, the Patriot Memory Pyro SE utilizes TRIM, DuraClass, and DuraWrite technologies. Offering read/write speeds of 500+ MB/s, the Pyro SE will chew through large file transfers and make even the most demanding applications a smooth experience. The Pyro SE series will feature a standard 2.5-inch form factor for flexible compatibility with both notebooks and desktops.

The Patriot Memory Pyro SE will offer increased performance while still maintaining our aggressive pricing strategy", says William Lai, Patriot Memory's Product Manager. "The Patriot Memory Pyro SE will be the ultimate choice for performance users looking to increase productivity while not bankrupting their budget."

General details
  • 120 GB and 240 GB capacities
  • SandForce SF-2281 SSD processor
  • SATA 6.0 Gbps interface
  • Up to 550MB/s sequential read speeds
  • Up to 520MB/s sequential write speeds
  • Maximum 4K random write: 85,000 IOPS
  • TRIM Support

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

“The Patriot Memory Pyro SE will be the ultimate choice for performance users looking to increase productivity while not bankrupting their budget.”

Price or it didn't happen

STCNE

System Name Lycanthropy
Processor i5 2500K
Motherboard ECS p67-h2a2
Memory 8GB Muskin Radioactive Series
Video Card(s) MSI R7770
Case Lancool K62
Audio Device(s) Ultra-Fi Dac41, Vintage Sherwood amp, STAX SR-5 Headphones
Power Supply XFX 850W
Software Win 7 64-Bit(Tried Win8 and never going back)
Benchmark Scores Reboots in 35 seconds flat, with a standard HDD. I'm a bit of an OCD tweaker. Using less than 100GB
So, where does the sync NAND actually have any performance benefits over the async. Say that I was playing a game with a very high def texture pack that bogs down a mechanical drive, Fallout NV with the MNC pack and some SSAA to be precise, would there be any benefit getting sync or toggle NAND?

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
Last edited:
System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
I wonder if they have fixed the horrible random death issue their drives seem to suffer from across the board.

don1970

I wonder if they have fixed the horrible random death issue their drives seem to suffer from across the board.

Nope. If you buy a drive based on a SandForce controller, you have not been paying much attention lately or your data is not very important to you (or system stability...take your pick). The name of the game for reliability right now is Samsung, Intel, and Crucial (and in that order). The Samsung uses their own proprietary controller where the latest Crucial and Intel SSDs are using Marvell.

System Name not very good (wants throwing out window most of time)
Processor xp3000@ 2.17ghz pile of sh** /i7 920 DO on air for now
Motherboard msi kt6 delta oap /gigabyte x58 ud7 (rev1.0)
Cooling 1 green akasa 8cm(rear) 1 multicoloured akasa(hd) 1 12 cm (intake) 1 9cm with circuit from old psu
Memory 1.25 gb kingston hyperx @333mhz/ 3gb corsair dominator xmp 1600mhz
Video Card(s) (agp) hd3850 not bad not really suitable for mobo n processor/ gb hd5870
Storage wd 320gb + samsung 320 gig + wd 1tb 6gb/s
Display(s) compaq mv720
Case thermaltake XaserIII skull / coolermaster cm 690II
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply corsair hx 650 w which solved many problems (blew up) /850w corsair
Software xp pro sp3/ ? win 7 ultimate (32 bit)
Benchmark Scores 6543 3d mark05 ye ye not good but look at the processor /uknown as still not benched
Nope. If you buy a drive based on a SandForce controller, you have not been paying much attention lately or your data is not very important to you (or system stability...take your pick). The name of the game for reliability right now is Samsung, Intel, and Crucial (and in that order). The Samsung uses their own proprietary controller where the latest Crucial and Intel SSDs are using Marvell.

you're post interests me, any source on your quote?

don1970

System Name not very good (wants throwing out window most of time)
Processor xp3000@ 2.17ghz pile of sh** /i7 920 DO on air for now
Motherboard msi kt6 delta oap /gigabyte x58 ud7 (rev1.0)
Cooling 1 green akasa 8cm(rear) 1 multicoloured akasa(hd) 1 12 cm (intake) 1 9cm with circuit from old psu
Memory 1.25 gb kingston hyperx @333mhz/ 3gb corsair dominator xmp 1600mhz
Video Card(s) (agp) hd3850 not bad not really suitable for mobo n processor/ gb hd5870
Storage wd 320gb + samsung 320 gig + wd 1tb 6gb/s
Display(s) compaq mv720
Case thermaltake XaserIII skull / coolermaster cm 690II
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply corsair hx 650 w which solved many problems (blew up) /850w corsair
Software xp pro sp3/ ? win 7 ultimate (32 bit)
Benchmark Scores 6543 3d mark05 ye ye not good but look at the processor /uknown as still not benched
thanks i'll read through them soon thumb.gif
i was going to get a 120gb wildfire but had my doubts, plus i'm not sure if it would work properly on my x58 ud7 motherboard:twitch:,

:ohwell: no worries i'm in no hurry to get something that won't last long or store things properly,

my usual hard drives (western digital caviar black 6gb/s) are ok (if a little bit noisy :laugh::D) :toast:

don1970

thanks i'll read through them soon View attachment 43943
i was going to get a 120gb wildfire but had my doubts, plus i'm not sure if it would work properly on my x58 ud7 motherboard:twitch:,

:ohwell: no worries i'm in no hurry to get something that won't last long or store things properly,

my usual hard drives (western digital caviar black 6gb/s) are ok (if a little bit noisy :laugh::D) :toast:

You are welcome for the thanks! :toast:

Buying a SSD today is pretty risky unless you have done a LOT of research. I say risky because of the expense of these devices and the rather unacceptable failure/stability issues that have been seen especially with SandForce based drives. Honestly speaking, after reading through the material I have seen I nearly forwent the idea of an SSD....but the three brands I mentioned seem to be a more measured and acceptable risk.

I will personally be using a Crucial M4 128GB SSD with a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 as storage. Unless there is a great deal on the Samsung 8 series SSD (their first SATA III SSD) which is due out this month, which in that case I MIGHT go that direction but I am leery of the fact it will be brand new to the market even given it has been reviewed already.

My motherboard is an Intel BOXDZ68DB, so I won't be able to blame the motherboard for any SSD weirdness I might encounter. Intel is very good about product validation. I modified my build strategy to mitigate as much risk as possible. The motherboard in question will be the basis of a gaming rig with a Radeon 6970 and i5-2500K and since I do not overclock I consider my decision to be sound.

I have been building PCs since 1989 (geez, just dated myself) so I am extremely careful about research and component selection. OCD careful. Which pays off.

Glad I could be of help.:)