• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to enable additional shaders on Radeon HD 6950

Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor Athlon II X4 630
Motherboard Biostar TA790GXBE
Cooling TRUE Rev. C
Memory 4GB DDR2
Video Card(s) Powercolor 6950 2GB (Xtreme Plus II mod)
Storage Samsung 2TB
Display(s) HP 19" CRT
Audio Device(s) on-board Realtek
Power Supply OCZ 400W
Software Win7 x64 Ultimate
Good to hear:rockout:

what 3rd party program did you use to bump your voltage? I've got MSI AB 2.10 but still i can't bump my voltage even i checked the unlocked voltage control. and set the MS AB.cfg to 1 and unlock the overclocking but still the voltage slider won't work. i want to reach 1ghz and 1400.

Also i have CCC 11.9 but i cant see my ATI Overdrive, the only thing i see is the AMD Overdrive..weird..

I dunno. I'm using AB 2.1.0 as well and just ticked the "Unlock voltage control" box under Settings.

I'm still running CCC 11.8 but that only has AMD Overdrive, which is all you need. Not sure why you want to see ATI Overdrive as well.

DnDiene

I have a Club3D HD6950 1gb

Loaded bios from card with WinFlash. Opened bios in RBE. Set '6970 shader count'. Saved bios.

Then tried using WinFlash to flash the card but 'Could not erase ROM'

So I tried atiwinflash -unlockrom 0 and then atiwinflash -f -p 0 unlock.rom. Flash succesfull. But after reboot I get a bluescreen during boot.

Set the switch back to 2 and now it boots. How to proceed? Is it possible for me to somehow still get 6970 shader count?

Thanks!

Update: I also set upper limit RAM to 1375 while flashing. Just tested without doing that. Now it flashes properly and boots, but gpu-z still shows 1408 shaders and no performance increase in 3Dmark11. How do I proceed? Any hopes of getting my shaders unlocked?

Ande

Hi guys

I have a sapphire 6950 2Gb Dirt 3 edition.
I fucked up the bios that can be modded..
Can someone please upload a modded bios for The Dirt edition.

Please.. :)

/Ande

Ande

Hi Again..

broon your bios works fine ...
But do anyone have a modded bios for Dirt 6950??
Or original with shaders unlocked?

/Ande

System Name my rig
Processor phenom II x2 555 BE
Motherboard Asrock 880 GM-LE
Cooling Corsair H80
Memory 2x2gb Team Elite 1333mhz
Video Card(s) Unlocked Asus EAH6950 DCU II 2gb
Storage 500gb WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung 22"
Case Thermaltake V4 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) n/a
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 600W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I dunno. I'm using AB 2.1.0 as well and just ticked the "Unlock voltage control" box under Settings.

I've already check the box and set the unlock voltage control.. here are the screenshot:

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E
Cooling DeepCool Castle 360EX
Memory G Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB 3600
Video Card(s) RX 5700 XT Pulse
Storage Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III 750w
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard G Skill KM570 MX Silver
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name my rig
Processor phenom II x2 555 BE
Motherboard Asrock 880 GM-LE
Cooling Corsair H80
Memory 2x2gb Team Elite 1333mhz
Video Card(s) Unlocked Asus EAH6950 DCU II 2gb
Storage 500gb WD Blue
Display(s) Samsung 22"
Case Thermaltake V4 Black Edition
Audio Device(s) n/a
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 600W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Try unchecking "Force Constant Voltage". I have the others checked but not that one.

been trying that..here's a screenie:

but still i can't bump my voltage..:banghead: anyone there can help me how to bump my voltage?:respect:

gizmo1981

I'm not having any luck either.

Dirt 3 Sapphire HD 6950 2GB ( Twin fan )
SKU# 11188-05-50G

I've uploaded my Bios, Anyone fancy modding it to 6970 spec for me?

I would do it myself but I'm a total n00b at this stuff.

Attachments

• 2D - 250, 150, 0.9 3D - 800, 1250, ---.zip
    40.4 KB · Views: 209

Maxheadroom

Sooo Which one?

I've read through the latter half of this thread but unsure which 6950 to go for.

I gather that newer boards, even reference ones with the bios switch, have the shaders well and truly locked down (the ones that come bundled with Dirt 3?).

That being the case, can someone recommend a card with a switch that can still have the shaders unlocked?

thanks in advance

gebastos

I've read through the latter half of this thread but unsure which 6950 to go for.

I gather that newer boards, even reference ones with the bios switch, have the shaders well and truly locked down (the ones that come bundled with Dirt 3?).

That being the case, can someone recommend a card with a switch that can still have the shaders unlocked?

thanks in advance

Unfortunately no one can accurately advise. Those who successfully flash videocards, now can not flash...
AMD plans to provide updated circuit boards for its graphics cards based on Cayman, Radeon HD6950
new revision of the Radeon HD6950 will give the company an opportunity to block the activation of the device disabled SIMD-blocks, which can now be implemented BIOS version
:wtf:

96accord

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have a MSi 2GB HD 6950 Twin Frozr III card..

I've followed two sets of instructions..

First set of instructions I followed were here ( http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159 ) which caused after restart the display to stay a solid amber color.. I shut down PC switched the backup bios and started PC. I flashed the primary bios back to original and restarted PC and it seems like I don't see the actual bootup process.. I just have an amber light and then I see the Windows 7 screen.. :confused:

I tried this set of instructions ( http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r6950_twin_froz_iii_power_edition_unlocking,1.html ) and it seemed to work fine but once I attempted to play Bad Company 2 I had a hard lockup after about 5 mins of playing.. Restarted the PC and tried to play BC2 again and same thing after a few mins... Hard lockup :(

I didn't do step 2 in those 2nd set of instructions (http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r6950_twin_froz_iii_power_edition_unlocking,1.html ) is that bad??

Thanks

-Jeff

Rui Silva

I'm thinking on buying the "ASUS HD 6950 DCII 2048 MB GDDR5" and I was wondering if i can do this on this card or not? Could someone help me about this!? Thanks a million!! ;)

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
I'm thinking on buying the "ASUS HD 6950 DCII 2048 MB GDDR5" and I was wondering if i can do this on this card or not? Could someone help me about this!? Thanks a million!! ;)

More info on this thread.
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146745

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have a MSi 2GB HD 6950 Twin Frozr III card..

I've followed two sets of instructions..

First set of instructions I followed were here ( http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159 ) which caused after restart the display to stay a solid amber color.. I shut down PC switched the backup bios and started PC. I flashed the primary bios back to original and restarted PC and it seems like I don't see the actual bootup process.. I just have an amber light and then I see the Windows 7 screen.. :confused:

I tried this set of instructions ( http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r6950_twin_froz_iii_power_edition_unlocking,1.html ) and it seemed to work fine but once I attempted to play Bad Company 2 I had a hard lockup after about 5 mins of playing.. Restarted the PC and tried to play BC2 again and same thing after a few mins... Hard lockup :(

I didn't do step 2 in those 2nd set of instructions (http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/msi_r6950_twin_froz_iii_power_edition_unlocking,1.html ) is that bad??

Thanks

-Jeff

Did BFBC2 work prior? I had hard lockups before in BC2, but they were either related to any GPU utility running (MSI AB or GPUz) or sound/pb problem. Either way, TPU's review of your card flashed fine.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_6950_Twin_Frozr_III/27.html

Last edited:

Rabin

Hi , i unlock my Sapphire 6950 to 6970 bios perfect in jumper possition 1 . but i want update 6950 bios in jumper possition 2 to newer and cannot ,all seems goin well but old bios was not changed .did someone try it ?

96accord

Did BFBC2 work prior? I had hard lockups before in BC2, but they were either related to any GPU utility running (MSI AB or GPUz) or sound/pb problem. Either way, TPU's review of your card flashed fine.
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/HD_6950_Twin_Frozr_III/27.html

Yes BFBC2 worked fine with my previous card (9800GTX+) and when I first installed the HD6950 card. If I flash the original bios back I don't have any issues with lockups..

I don't have any other games to test and see if I get lockups.. Hmmm Weird.

I had another question.. I don't get why when I flashed the bios back to stock the monitor light stays amber until it gets to Windows 7 loading screen.. But if i switch to the backup bios switch I can see the mobo startup info when I turn the PC on...

So what I did was switch to the backup bios.. Save a copy of it.. Switched to primary bios.. Flashed it with the backup original bios and restarted. Still same thing.. Amber Light on monitor then I see the Windows 7 loading screen.. Weird isn't it? Any ideas??

manofthem

WCG-TPU Team All-Star!
Processor 3900X @ 4.0
Display(s) LG 34UC88
Case Thermaltake P3
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
Hi , i unlock my Sapphire 6950 to 6970 bios perfect in jumper possition 1 . but i want update 6950 bios in jumper possition 2 to newer and cannot ,all seems goin well but old bios was not changed .did someone try it ?

The bios you're trying to overwrite is your back up stock bios; you shouldn't flash anything to that position. Additionally, you may want to reconsider a full on 6970 bios for a shader unlock only mod, then overclock from there.

Maxheadroom

However, the shader unlock only mod uses the bios from your own 6950 to unlock the extra shaders. This keeps voltages at what your ram is rated for. Then overclock it to 880/1375 speeds to match a real 6970, and adjust core voltage to meet your increased core speed

Sorry if this has been answered already (did look, couldnt see it) but what core voltage would that be exactly?

iam1simpleguy

flashed 6950 dont show crossfire

I have successfully flashed 6950's to 6970's.As instructed in the guide ,i flashed it by putting single card.And yes it showed unlocked shaders and clock.So all good,both cards are flashed.

But now i dont see Crossfire in CCC nor second gpu in Device Manger nor in GPUz.
Things i have tried..
Fresh windows install..Tried driver..11.3-11.5-11.10 preview drivers but no success.
triple checked Crossfire bridge.im using single crossfire bridge
tried swaping the cards..
Tried many time to make sure card is properly inserted
triple checked PCI-E cables.
Tried by using only single gpu..just to make sure any card is defected.
Flashed back to 6950 (as original bios was saved)both the cards and yet no crossfire.
Updated bios of my mobo p8p67pro.

And now im out of options and any ideas.Been googleing all sorts of forums but no solution.

Hope anyone here can help me.

Alpha1_actual

Help!

Hello everyone!
And great article Wizzard! Thumbs up for you! I'll also dedicate you a toast if you can help me with this one ;).
It happens that the first time I tried to unlock the card I got the ''mismatch'' error and it gave me a black screen afterwards. I rebooted thinking I had lost the bios, but to my surprise when I tried to load back the fail safe original bios it said ''Bios already installed''. ''Great I -thought- then nothing bad happened, lets go again'' I re tried doing the steps one by one untill I went for the ''cmd'' mod after reading the article about the flash.
It was then when the bar seemed to load and said ''flash verified '' or something like that so great I thought! Shaders were unlocked before I flashed the board (the previous step untill the final flash when doing it through CMD'' but clocks were under stock : 690 for core and I forgot about memory, I also lost many pipelines and bandwith! after the flash I rebooted and BAM , it wouldn't load. So I switched to ''recovery bios'' then when I got to windows it said the same as before 690 Mhz core 20 Gb/s and 10 Rops...made me think something went nuts.
Then the card wouldn't even boot WITH THE SAFE BIOS ON!...then it'ss when I went WTF you sorry a$$ POS! and treid re tried and did it again untill widows itself deleted ATI display driver and re-installed it. Then it showed stock values again so I calmed down...the hting is that now I'm using stock values on safe bios (Bios 2) and I'm afraid of even trying to go back to Bios 1...mainly because the Safe Bios gave me a error so it might have gotten corrupted.

Any Ideas?
Sorry for the long message guys, but those details are all important to my concern.
Have a rgeat day!

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
I have successfully flashed 6950's to 6970's.As instructed in the guide ,i flashed it by putting single card.And yes it showed unlocked shaders and clock.So all good,both cards are flashed.

But now i dont see Crossfire in CCC nor second gpu in Device Manger nor in GPUz.
Things i have tried..
Fresh windows install..Tried driver..11.3-11.5-11.10 preview drivers but no success.
triple checked Crossfire bridge.im using single crossfire bridge
tried swaping the cards..
Tried many time to make sure card is properly inserted
triple checked PCI-E cables.
Tried by using only single gpu..just to make sure any card is defected.
Flashed back to 6950 (as original bios was saved)both the cards and yet no crossfire.
Updated bios of my mobo p8p67pro.

And now im out of options and any ideas.Been googleing all sorts of forums but no solution.

Hope anyone here can help me.
Not sure what the issue is or why the Crossfire is not showing up. Make sure you connected the CrossfireX bridges properly. Sometimes you will need to use 2 x CrossfireX bridges if your card allows for it.

Perhaps somebody can help you further.

Brazaa

Club 3D 6950 2GB Coolstream Edition succesfully bios'd to a 6970.

Thanks for the guide and the tools.

shwazemoto

I flashed my card when this article first came out, flashe to full 6970 using a .batch file, ( cause it does all the work for you) I never had any problems but I did flash back to 6950 after ppl where having problems, I want to know how to unlock just the shadders seems like everyone is only unlocking the shadders is there a .batch file for this? If there is one out there can someone give me the link or a link of step by step to unlock shadders. I tried winflash to unlock just shadders before but it did not work might of missed a step.

Preacher

MSI power edition wont flash

I´ve tried winflash and RBE without luck on my MSI 6950 TwinFrozrIII power edition. The BIOS switch options are performance & silent, I tried both and keep on getting ROM write failure, even if I flash out of a cmd window. Any advise is welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.