• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Thermalright Intros Revised Archon CPU Cooler

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
So this is like the successor to the Macho ?

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
"If you "care" about noise, you aren't enthuasiast enough to begin with."

I'm an pc enthusiast and like silence : [

I'm enthusiastic about silence performance computing in fact.

You have to bare in mind John Doe that a pc enthusiast doesn't necessarily mean ONLY POWER WILL DO!

There's lots of different types.

agree, fast rig but sound like jet its OK, but fast rig with silent sound is much better :D
especially when you do much multi media things, it aint comfortable with jet sound close to your ears :rockout:

System Name Silent Storm
Processor Intel Core i5-2500k@4.5Ghz
Motherboard MSI P65A-GD55 (B3)
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow & 3x180mm Air Penetrator Fans
Memory 8GB Team Elite DDR3 1600Mhz 8-8-8-24
Video Card(s) Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD7970 3GB 1200/1575 Flashed to Ghz Edition
Storage Intel X25m 160GB SSD, 3xWD Caviar Blue 1TBs
Display(s) 3xDell P2210s Eyefinity Portrait 3150x1680
Case Silverstone RAVEN RV02BW-E
Audio Device(s) Creative X-fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty + Edifier S550 5.1
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
now....where do i find these newer larger fans? i think it'd be great to increase the performance of my silver arrows, albeit slightly. just to further decimate those all-in-one watercoolers.

J

John Doe

now....where do i find these newer larger fans? i think it'd be great to increase the performance of my silver arrows, albeit slightly. just to further decimate those all-in-one watercoolers.

Zip-ties. ;) Go triple fan, and you can add a 4th one on the side as well. A 60 mm on the side helped the TRUE. It already walks over AIO anyway.

System Name Silent Storm
Zip-ties. ;) Go triple fan, and you can add a 4th one on the side as well. A 60 mm on the side helped the TRUE. It already walks over AIO anyway.

great idea, what i meant was if TR will start to sell those TY-150 fans. I wonder if they have higher airflow or higher static pressure. cos the Silver arrow (best air cooler, some may difer) + raven RV02 case (best case for air cooling) already make such a great combo, anything better would be overkill.

J

John Doe

Doubt it; bigger fans usually equate to lower pressure (lower RPM). But they of course would offer more CFM/silence, if that is what you are looking for.

System Name Silent Storm
definitely what i'm looking for. reason why I got the silver arrows in the first place, silence + outstanding performance. after you start getting used to 140mm fans, you just cant get used to noisy 120mm fans.:)

Let me see, they're testing an 3000 RPM cooler at 1000 RPM, against an another cooler with a better fin config, which can offer more airflow with a better fan. Also, that SilentPC site you guys praise so much of is a joke nowadays. Their PSU reviews are crap. If you "care" about noise, you aren't enthuasiast enough to begin with. I don't. And I will use no matter how much fans are required to get the performance I demand. One more thing, you named one of the best coolers of it's time, which gave better northbridge temps then it's competitors as "crap". Your defination of crap is faulty. In an "expertise of geeks", you don't know what you're talking about. So I suggest you to move on.
I'll put it in simple words so that you'll have an easier time understanding this.
You have 2 coolers. You compare them. To compare them fair, you make sure the conditions are equal. Hence same fan RPM / airflow / dB. You cannot test 1 cooler at 3000 RPM and another one at 1000 RPM. Got it? Don't compare apples against oranges.
I'll not comment on your assessment on SPCR PSU test. I guess you've made it all clear :)
Also, your understanding of enthusiast is so limited. Go ahead, use 5 Deltas @ 5000 RPM. You'll be getting slightly lower temps and nothing else. You'll also get a splitting headache with all that noise. Enjoy it.
And yes, I'll call 9700 crap again. Because it's just that. Overpriced, overhyped crap. Many reviews & comparisons show that. It gave you 5 degrees less on NB? Great, I'm happy for you. Does it make it a better CPU cooler? Not at all. Also, the fact that your NB temps went down could very well be attributed to much higher airflow or inconsistent testing conditions. Judging by your comments I'd say you can't be trusted with testing anything.
My advice to you - do some reading, get familiar with testing methodologies, try (just try) to understand that not everybody has to overclock like mad and chase each 100 MHz at the expense of noise, increased power consumptions and failure rates.

Really, you're a funny guy :)

J

John Doe

I'll put it in simple words so that you'll have an easier time understanding this.
You have 2 coolers. You compare them. To compare them fair, you make sure the conditions are equal. Hence same fan RPM / airflow / dB. You cannot test 1 cooler at 3000 RPM and another one at 1000 RPM. Got it? Don't compare apples against oranges.
I'll not comment on your assessment on SPCR PSU test. I guess you've made it all clear :)
Also, your understanding of enthusiast is so limited. Go ahead, use 5 Deltas @ 5000 RPM. You'll be getting slightly lower temps and nothing else. You'll also get a splitting headache with all that noise. Enjoy it.
And yes, I'll call 9700 crap again. Because it's just that. Overpriced, overhyped crap. Many reviews & comparisons show that. It gave you 5 degrees less on NB? Great, I'm happy for you. Does it make it a better CPU cooler? Not at all. Also, the fact that your NB temps went down could very well be attributed to much higher airflow or inconsistent testing conditions. Judging by your comments I'd say you can't be trusted with testing anything.
My advice to you - do some reading, get familiar with testing methodologies, try (just try) to understand that not everybody has to overclock like mad and chase each 100 MHz at the expense of noise, increased power consumptions and failure rates.

Really, you're a funny guy :)

You fail to understand that the SilentPC review isn't equal. They only tested at low RPM, in which the Ninja won hence the bigger fan. Think of it. I've my mobile AC at 50 dB, which doesn't give an headache. It's in your sissy imagination where you can't stand a loud fan (the reason why you go by that site). As for my airflow, I had a 680i board with a 40mm on NB - no negative or lack of airflow. Yet the CNPS cut down my NB temps 5C over my Megahalems. That helped a lot since the nVidia chipset overheat. As for the increased power consumption and failure rate, I'll leave that to ignorance.

You just don't get it, do you? Do your reading, please. Otherwise you just don't qualify as a person to talk to about cooling etc. They specifically said that to compensate for the 110 mm fan's smaller size they ran it a wee higher (10%) to match the bigger fan (10% bigger to be exact). Still, 9700 loses. What's there not to understand?
50 dB - you don't even know what you're talking about :) If you go by the dB that manufacturers advertise then you simple have no clue about SPL. And if you, by any chance, use a cheap SPL meter that reads 35 dB in an empty room at night, then you're in for a surprise.
Wanting to have a quiet (not silent) PC makes me sissy? Wow. I always thought that quiet PCs are comfortable to work with. But maybe you're right. One needs a super loud 300 FPS machines to be a man.
Increased power consumption and failure rate - once again, do your homework. Do some reading. It'll help.
Over & out. I must admit you're wearing me out with your ignorance. Good luck with your life!

System Name Silent Storm
I think the both of you just need to chill. obviously you two have different ideas of what contributes an enthusiast pc. also, another reason why I can see that the 9700 helps in cooling other components is the design of the fan allows the air to escape around the edges of the fins. wheres the TRUE uses a standard fan that blows air only across the TRUE's fins. This moving air would really help the nVIDIA chipset since they run REALLY hot. (owned a 590i and 680i)

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
You have 2 coolers. You compare them. To compare them fair, you make sure the conditions are equal. Hence same fan RPM / airflow / dB. You cannot test 1 cooler at 3000 RPM and another one at 1000 RPM.

Although for a properly fair test you'd have to use stock settings as well. Sometimes one heat-sink will have a higher density fin array so requires the additional pressure in order for it to work how designed.

Or hell the fins could be so far apart that additional air flow doesn't make a difference as well.

All kinds of things to take into account since designing a decent heatsink is all about fluid dynamics.

J

John Doe

50 dB - you don't even know what you're talking about :) If you go by the dB that manufacturers advertise then you simple have no clue about SPL. And if you, by any chance, use a cheap SPL meter that reads 35 dB in an empty room at night, then you're in for a surprise.

Mobile AC, not fan. Read back.

Wanting to have a quiet (not silent) PC makes me sissy? Wow. I always thought that quiet PCs are comfortable to work with. But maybe you're right. One needs a super loud 300 FPS machines to be a man.

Again, I will pass on this part.

Increased power consumption and failure rate - once again, do your homework. Do some reading. It'll help.
Over & out. I must admit you're wearing me out with your ignorance. Good luck with your life!

Yeah, right. A miniscule difference can increase failure rare or power consumption significantly, eh? Scroll down and read up.

www.overclock.net/power-supplies/1045231-phaedrus-quickndirty-psu-calculator.html

jpunk

Doubt it; bigger fans usually equate to lower pressure (lower RPM). But they of course would offer more CFM/silence, if that is what you are looking for.

All of HSF have maximum efficiency, so when it reach it peaks it won't bother to give an extra ºC down although you add more more CFM.

Just give your best fan setup on your "Hero" HSF and compare that to this newest Archon with it's best fan setup also (don't mind about price and noises), there you'll have your enthusiast system winner. Don't forget to share your review here.

But for me, When I'm on enthusiast Benchmarker mode I don't give a f to use AirCooler. But on enthusiast user, why should I torture my ear when I can have a par or say a little poor (for your ego) efficiency with a minimum noise?

definitely what i'm looking for. reason why I got the silver arrows in the first place, silence + outstanding performance. after you start getting used to 140mm fans, you just cant get used to noisy 120mm fans.:)

There's no absolute winner for HSF. U'll find a different result from different reviewer. I already used Mugen 2, Baram 2010, TRUE, TRUE BLACK, Frio, Megahalem, Frio OCK, Noctua NH-D14, IFX, and also Archon. I don't have a change to use Silver arrow or NZXT Havik (which look good with it's price/performance). So....until now, I choose Thermalright Archon+ 1 extra TY-14 fan for best silent+performance air cooler HSF. Can't wait to try this new version.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/thermalright-archon_4.html

Last edited: