• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Project: MNU

Kylevdm

Hey all,

This is a project I started in 2010... This case however, started as a simple case mod on an old ATX case. The project took a huge step forward just after I started it, when I got sponsorship for what was then a new player in the PC case market, Fractal Design. This meant I restarted the work but wanted to keep the same design elements a whole new and very different case!
I have based this project on the film ‘District 9’ namely the ‘Multi-National United Multi-Purpose Security Vehicle’ I am going to fast track you through the mod until now but before I do that I want to say a MASSIVE thank you to Fractal Design, EK, TM3 Connections, NZXT and MNPCTech for supporting this build!

Fractal Case

I wanted to fit a PA120.3 in here!

Front panel chopped up for the rad.

Case chopped up for the rad.

Front panel painted.

Armoured side panels using MDF.

Both done.

Armoured window.

Some front panel dealing.

Some painting done, and assembly

Top bars and side panels done, some fitting issues though.

That is where I currently am. Will update you all properly from now on

System Name "Złotko"
Processor AMD 1055T @ 3600 MHz
Motherboard Asrock 880G@890GX
Cooling Thermalright 120 Xtreme (lapped)
Memory A-Data 1600 Plus
Video Card(s) Asus HD6950 unlocked - WOW
Storage many more than you can imagine
Display(s) Acer AL1923 and Philips 40PFL5605H
Case Fractal Define R3
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Music / onboard
Power Supply Seasonic M12D 850W
Software viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware, adware, rootkits
Benchmark Scores 2.3 promile of alcohol in my blood and still standing
It is gonna be very interesting build. One question: Why did you painted black case when there is white version of Define R3.

Kylevdm

It is gonna be very interesting build. One question: Why did you painted black case when there is white version of Define R3.

When Fractal Design got this mod rolling there was no white versions of the case as it is the R2. This project was started almost 2 years ago now, it has taken a while given that it has been built in 3 cities in 2 different countries...

Thanks a lot though! Will have more pictures up tomorrow :)

System Name "Złotko"
Processor AMD 1055T @ 3600 MHz
Motherboard Asrock 880G@890GX
Cooling Thermalright 120 Xtreme (lapped)
Memory A-Data 1600 Plus
Video Card(s) Asus HD6950 unlocked - WOW
Storage many more than you can imagine
Display(s) Acer AL1923 and Philips 40PFL5605H
Case Fractal Define R3
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Music / onboard
Power Supply Seasonic M12D 850W
Software viruses, worms, trojan horses, spyware, adware, rootkits
Benchmark Scores 2.3 promile of alcohol in my blood and still standing
Another question:
Did you used standard mounting mechanism for side panels? Oryginal panels with acoustic dumpers are quite heavy and as I see you have put a lot of wood on them. I know the mounting mechanism uses metal hooks, but I already broke two of them on my Define R3. They are too soft and bend even under low pressure.
I like the rails on top of the case. I will put similar thing on mine. If think metal on top can also bend if the computer is heavy and you want to move the whole case using this rails. That is why I will put metal plates from inside of the case just to be sure that they do the job. My R3 weights 20 KG, so it is quite heavy.

Kylevdm

Another question:
Did you used standard mounting mechanism for side panels? Oryginal panels with acoustic dumpers are quite heavy and as I see you have put a lot of wood on them. I know the mounting mechanism uses metal hooks, but I already broke two of them on my Define R3. They are too soft and bend even under low pressure.
I like the rails on top of the case. I will put similar thing on mine. If think metal on top can also bend if the computer is heavy and you want to move the whole case using this rails. That is why I will put metal plates from inside of the case just to be sure that they do the job. My R3 weights 20 KG, so it is quite heavy.

The panels are using the bog standard mounts, they have bent a little so am VERY careful when assembling and have the thumb screws in whenever the panels are on the case. But yeah, the panles are REALLY heavy! they come in at about 3KG - if not more - now. The rails on the top are NOT for holding onto, especially with the way that I have mounted them now, I may improve the mounting later on and do exactly that with some bolts rather than dome head screws. At the moment, the dome heads just go straight through the case through the sleeves and into the wood which is in the centre of the copper pipe. This thing is going to come in at close to 35KG with all the kit in place :-/