• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

I think my mcp35x is dying, HELP!

System Name WTF?!.... Oh u bastard!
Processor I5 2500k
Motherboard Asus p8p67 pro
Cooling Water
Memory 8GB Ripjawx
Video Card(s) MSI 5870
Storage 60gb vertex 2e 2*1gb samsung f3 IN RAID 0, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 750GB Seagate Barracuda
Case Cooler Master ATCS 840
Power Supply 650W Be Quiet Dark Power PRO
Software 7 64bit
Im pertty new to watercooling and so far havnt had any massive problems. However recentl my mcp35x has started to give me "cpu fan 0rpm" warnings, sometimes during boot i get the beeping error and occasionaly i get asus fan expert popping up with a warning. If i restart the pc at the boot error then its normaly ok and the fan expert error resolves itself as if the pump has stalled and then recovered. This feels like it is becoming more frequent.

Anyone else had this or a similar problem? Any ideas would be very welcome..

System Name HOMECOMPUTER
Processor Intel i9 - 9900k @ 5.1Ghz - 1.31v
Motherboard Asux ROG Maximus XI Hero Wifi
Cooling ek supremacy evo full nickle, 2xEK 360 Radiators, ek d5 pump/res combo, ek full cover 2080ti block
Memory 16GB DDR 3600 Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2080TI
Storage 1xWD black NVME 500GB, 1xSamsung 970 Evo Plus NVME 1TB
Display(s) 2 Dell Gaming 27" 1440P Gsync
Case Lian LI PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Evga P2 1200Watt
Mouse Zowie FK1+
Keyboard Corsair Strafe rgb silent
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i'm working on that
as long as the temps are ok, i wouldn't be too too worried. Maybe get a flow meter to be sure but for the most part my mcp 655b stopped reported rpm's a long time ago.. still going strong

My 35x has been doing weird things, as of late. It fluctuates rpms in an odd fashion, seems louder than it used to, and I too get the 0 rpm reads, and throttling issues, too. Makes me a little skitish, but I don't think our pumps are going to up and die. They are rated for 50,000 hours. If you are really worried, unplug the PWM cable and let it run at full power. Loud as hell, but safe.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
Had one exhibiting the same symptoms, lasted a month like that.

System Name My Surround PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-F
Cooling Swiftech MCP35X / EK Quantum CPU / Alphacool GPU / XSPC 480mm w/ Corsair Fans
Memory 96GB (2 x 48 GB) G.Skill DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Suprim X 24GB
Storage WD SN850 2TB, 2 x 512GB Samsung PM981a, 4 x 4TB HGST NAS HDD for Windows Storage Spaces
Display(s) 2 x Viotek GFI27QXA 27" 4K 120Hz + LG UH850 4K 60Hz + HMD
Case NZXT Source 530
Audio Device(s) Sony MDR-7506 / Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Power Supply Corsair RM1000x 1 kW
Mouse Patriot Viper V560
Keyboard Corsair K100
VR HMD HP Reverb G2
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Mellanox ConnectX-3 10 Gb/s Fiber Network Card
I think these are all software/control errors rather than mechanical failure since I have had similar problems with mine since I bought it months ago and its still working great.

My MCP35x drops to 0 RPM sensed frequently, but I'm assuming it's just a sensor error in the pump since I've never actually had the pump stop rotating when it read 0 RPM. I disabled the low RPM warning in my BIOS and instead have a 60°C high CPU temperature alert, which is much more reliable.

I twice have had the pump not start after resuming from sleep. (I found that the pump was not on from the high CPU temp warning, not from the lack of pump noise since it is silent at low speeds). I found that I could easily restart the pump this just by disconnecting and reconnecting power to the pump. I guess this power cycling resets the control circuit.

My 35x has been doing weird things, as of late. It fluctuates rpms in an odd fashion, seems louder than it used to, and I too get the 0 rpm reads, and throttling issues, too. Makes me a little skitish, but I don't think our pumps are going to up and die. They are rated for 50,000 hours. If you are really worried, unplug the PWM cable and let it run at full power. Loud as hell, but safe.

I had the RPM fluctuations too, but I found that the RPM fluctuations occurred from the loss of the PWM control signal. This loss of signal tells the pump the pump to speed up to 100% then slow down again once it regains the signal. I had the PWM setting very low, so I increased it to 50% and the symptom stopped occurring.

Had one exhibiting the same symptoms, lasted a month like that.

Do you mean that it failed completely a month after showing symptoms or that it exhibited the symptoms for a month without failing?

My MCP35x drops to 0 RPM sensed frequently, but I'm assuming it's just a sensor error in the pump since I've never actually had the pump stop rotating when it read 0 RPM. I disabled the low RPM warning in my BIOS and instead have a 60°C high CPU temperature alert, which is much more reliable.

Same here, I've never had it stop during the poor sensor reads. The software does do some strange jazz, sometimes. One time it throttled down to 1750 during full load, for no apparent reason.

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
it failed completely a month after showing symptoms

Mine was already used (1year) and a refurb(rma'd at 2years) on top of it. It failed but I think it was destined to. Point I am trying to make here; if the symptoms of the issue get worse, replace it. Hell i would replace it asap after switching back to an air cooler.

System Name Custom Built
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus PRIME A520M-A
Cooling Stock heatsink/fan
Memory 16GB 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz
Video Card(s) MSI 1050Ti 4GB
Storage KINGSTON SNVS250G 256GB M.2 + 2 data disks
Display(s) Dell S2421NX
Case Aerocool CS103
Audio Device(s) Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic M12II-520 EVO
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Do you notice some noises, overheat or the pump slowing or stopping when you get the 0 RPM warning? I believe could be the RPM sensor fault as The Von Matrices said. Also could be the PWM controller going mad besides the own pump.

System Name WTF?!.... Oh u bastard!
Processor I5 2500k
Motherboard Asus p8p67 pro
Cooling Water
Memory 8GB Ripjawx
Video Card(s) MSI 5870
Storage 60gb vertex 2e 2*1gb samsung f3 IN RAID 0, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 750GB Seagate Barracuda
Case Cooler Master ATCS 840
Power Supply 650W Be Quiet Dark Power PRO
Software 7 64bit
Well i wasnt sure if it was a sensor reading failiure or the pump was actualy stopping (i can't tell if its on by listening and no it hasn't been making any noises) so i fired up Prime when i got a warning and my temps shot to 99C, so yeah it was stopping. i have now set a realtemp shutdown alarm so should be safe ish. i bought this pump purely on the PWM feature so im not going it run it at full, i want silence (which this pump is). but anyway phoned the shop i purchased it from and they have no issue in rmaing it for me, they even said they would send me the new pump first (there out of stock now but have some due next week) and i can send this one back within 10 days, so im pretty happy with that.

Thanks for all the reply guys.:toast:

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
phoned the shop i purchased it from and they have no issue in rmaing it for me, they even said they would send me the new pump first (there out of stock now but have some due next week) and i can send this one back within 10 days, so im pretty happy with that.

Hey that's good news that you have some good service behind it! I know it may sound pessimistic but here's to hoping your next one lasts you longer! :toast:

I'm in the middle of building a wcing loop myself. You know once you get that niche it's hard to go back to air or AIO water coolers.