• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sound Blaster Audigy is causing my pc to shutdown

markfrombrooklyn

Hello. I recently purchased a Sound Blaster Audigy sound card and installed it in my computer. My computer is brand new and came with an on board sound card. Its the Gateway Media Center model GT5238E. Now when i first installed it and installed the drivers cd everything worked great. Then i go on youtube.com and everytime i'd try to watch a video on there it would freeze after about 5 seconds then shut down my Internet explorer. I managed to fix that problem i just disabled the other sound card that was on my mother board but i cant seem to fix the problem of my computer shutting down on its own. it doesnt do it over and over but it does do it frequently and i dont think thats good for my computer. I know its the sound card causing t his because it didnt happen until i installed this damn thing. Is there anything i can do? or maybe do you think i need a new sound card? is this a common problem? i paid 40 bucks for this damn thing

Namslas90

With Gateway omputers you must disable the onboard sound in BIOS before activating the add-on sound card. During Boot-up press the F2 key to get to BIOS. Look page by page(I can't remember where exactly) for AC97 Audio. Select it with enter and use the up/down arrow to change the selection to 'disable'. Then press 'enter' and 'F10' to save and exit. Computer should boot up and card should work. Also, check device manager > hardware to make sure it is disabled.

markfrombrooklyn

ok thanks alot dude. I'm gonna try that out right now. I disabled it in the device manager but didnt do it through bios, does that matter?

Namslas90

Yes, the Gateways are set up kinda weird. I had the same problem (check my system specs <<<<<) Disabale the add-in card in Device manager first then do the BIOS thing, after reboot re-enable the Audigy. What is the CPU socket on your MOBO? Good chance we have the same MOBO, I have a lot on info on that board and AthlonX2 cracked the BIOS for me and I now have many BIOS versions for that board.

System Name Rigel / Altair
Processor Ryzen 3900x / Xeon x3440
Motherboard Aorus X570 Pro Wifi / Asus P7P55D
Cooling H110i / CM MASTERLIQUID MAKER 92
Memory 16gb DDR4-3200 / 8GB DD3-2000
Video Card(s) GTX1080ti / 9600gt
Storage Crucial P1 500gb - Crucial MX500 500gb / Unraid NAS
Display(s) LG 43UN700-B
Case Phanteks P500 / CM N400
Audio Device(s) FX Audio DAC 6
Power Supply eVGA 1000GQ / Seasonic Focus 500w
You could pull the cooler off of the CPU and check and see what the socket says... If you have the same series computer as Namy does, then you got yourself a 939

Namslas90

Gateway website. It's knid of a weird site also, so I'll check.

Namslas90

No you have a Pentium system I have an AMD according to Gateway this is your MOBO; Intel® (Love Valley G) G965 Viiv™ motherboard.

markfrombrooklyn

Oh ok, how is this system? do you think its good? i should upgrade the video card and sound card right? they both suck

Namslas90

Well how did the BIOS thing go, and does the soundcard work? Yes even though the onboard graphics are OK, an upgrade to a good video card will show amazing results!

markfrombrooklyn

I havent tryed it yet cause i have the speakers that this gateway came with which are sucky.. Im gonna hook up the boston accoustics ones to test it out. They were working yesterday but its just that my computer kept shutting down on its own every so often so i uninstalled the drivers and now my computer is workin fine but the audio is kinda shitty. Yes i want to upgrade my video card too but if im having problems with a sound card im dreading the problems i'll have with a video card lol. is there a way i can find out what kind of video card i can get with this mother board? like are their any websites that tell u? caue i can find out on gateway but u have to wait to chat with a sales tech

Namslas90

I asked about the BIOS thing because you might have to press DELETE instead of F2. The Intel MoBO might be different, but the AC97 must still be disabled in BIOS. No sales rep is going to know what works in that MOBO, they sell what they are told to sell and they are way overpriced. How much do you want to spend?

Gateway reccomended to me a card that would not fit, but thats another story.
Remember you have a uBTX board, that means the video vcard actually gets installed upside down compaired to a normal uATX board

markfrombrooklyn

Well im lookin to spend the most 200 bucks. They told me i should get a PNY NVIDIA QUADRO NVS285 X16 128MB (PRO) video card. See and i didnt know i have to install it upside down. I'd probably have did it all messed up lol. Yea im gonna check that out in a few before i go to bed, so if the F2 doesnt work then i'll hit the del button. is that a cool card to use?

System Name Rigel / Altair
Processor Ryzen 3900x / Xeon x3440
Motherboard Aorus X570 Pro Wifi / Asus P7P55D
Cooling H110i / CM MASTERLIQUID MAKER 92
Memory 16gb DDR4-3200 / 8GB DD3-2000
Video Card(s) GTX1080ti / 9600gt
Storage Crucial P1 500gb - Crucial MX500 500gb / Unraid NAS
Display(s) LG 43UN700-B
Case Phanteks P500 / CM N400
Audio Device(s) FX Audio DAC 6
Power Supply eVGA 1000GQ / Seasonic Focus 500w
I believe the quadro is used for video rendering like making CAD stuff...

Namslas90

That card is more for Detail work like autocad, A good gamming card would be A Nvidia 7800 series is good as is the Radeon X1800 series. For the money I would shoot for a Nvidea 7950or a Radeon X1950 seiries card, both are between $200 -$300. The $200 price range is kinda borderline tight, less and you get a kinda crapy card and the next step up is probably more than $200. Check prices at NEWEGG.COM and/or TIGERDIRECT.COM. They are both good suppliers at good prices.

Namslas90

You need to be carefull and look inside the case, Identify the PCI-E slot and see if it's on the top(highest in case). If is is you probably can't use a double wide card, without cutting an exhaust hole in the back of the case,(this is what I did). Then you have to check the area around the PCI-E slot to see if any components are going to get in the way of the card,(My Mobo has a row of capicators that were in the way. I ended up having to modify the heatsink on my video card to fit around them). If you are limited on space then you will have to get a single wide lower end card or make the decision to mod the case/card(not for the faint of heart and VOIDS warranty). If you have to go lower end than try the Nvidea 7600 series or the Radeon 1600 series. The Nvidea 7600, I think is better than the Radeon 1600, but thats me.

markfrombrooklyn

ok so i can use any video card from the Nvidia 7600 series for my computer? are they all compatible or do i have to have a certain video card from that series?

Namslas90

You should be OK with any of the NVidea 7600 series cards. Also, you must leave the onboard video enabled on MOBO, it's not the same as the audio.

markfrombrooklyn

Oh ok thanks alot man im gonna buy one probably this friday and hook it up and i'll let u know how everything goes