• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8 'Irrelevant' For PC Users

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Every program puts an entry or several into windows registry when it gets installed, aka basically a Program ID. If Windows OS could autosync and auto populate other drives without having to install programs again that would be awesome.

Ahh the duality of the registry system :laugh:

Love it when fiddling/haxoring but hate it for having to install stuff over and over.

Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
There is reason for me to upgrade to it the improved system management i run the DP on my media center when copying/moving/deleting files windows will group all commands into the 1 task instead of having a lot of windows open.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
a Program should be fully self contained within its own file folder, n only put entries in registry as a ID and then a means to uninstall it from Windws Uninstall. if you move say a secondary HD that has all ur programs on it, windows should automatically sync the drive with those IDs and means to uninstall plus the files needed in the OS to work right (if a program needs to install files on the OS drive itself)

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
Windows 8? Cool...now you can be monitored, tracked...and sold worthless goods to with better efficiency than before. I'll be the first to stand in line for my copy. I better get the tent ready - just in case.

:)

Mint's a pretty good flavor.

Liquid Cool

System Name DeathAdder
Processor Intel Core i7 6700K @4.6 Ghz 1.31v
Motherboard Gigabyte Gaming 7 Z170X
Cooling NZXT Kraken x61 280mm
Memory 4x8GB G.Skill 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI NVidia GeForce 980 Ti 6GB
Storage 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB + 16 TB in HDDs
Display(s) LG UC87C 34" Ultrawide 3440x1440
Case NZXT H440 White
Audio Device(s) JBL LSR310S + 2x JBL LSR308
Power Supply EVGA P2 Platinum 1000 W
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
Nope. Actually, the Apple side have been complaining about the "tablet-isation" of the OSX echosystem. Apple is bringing sandboxing and heavy restrictions to what softwares can access. There are also talks of an OSX appstore becoming mandatory for ALL software installs.
I don't see that happening. What Apple is doing is fetching the best features of iOS and implementing in OS X. Eg: LaunchPad. Its a great feature, allows you to access all your programs with a single mouse click.
The Apple mouse is touch sensitive, so it allows all sorts of gestures to be used. Implementing that in OS X is brilliant. But OS X is still very different from the iOS. There are no restrictions as you mentioned. I've been using using OS X Lion, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.04 on my PCs.
NOt bashing anyone here, but the traditionnal "workstation" desktop for powerusers is a declining trend, including games.

Sort of. But I think the OS X and Linux platforms are still good for the traditional desktop. What Microsoft should do is release different versions for different purposes. Tablet edition for Tablets, Desktop version for Desktops and Server editions for Servers.

bostonbuddy

don't forget you may want to use the metro style when using gesture controls w/ ur kinect hooked up to your htpc.

I like 8 with all its optimizations and faster loading/booting.

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
It will be 11 years in 2012 that XP exists... An OS shouldn't survive for more than a decade

a good OS will and even more...not everybody on the planet had latest gen PC's in fact i think up to 20% are still using P-2-3 machines and poverty is not people's fault..

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
a good OS will and even more...not everybody on the planet had latest gen PC's in fact i think up to 20% are still using P-2-3 machines and poverty is not people's fault..

ya to extent its government mismanaging money. Any version of windows i wouldnt recommend running without 1 Gig of memory (Excluding Vista which requires just 4 to run decent...)

if Upper Govt Officials- President, Congress, HORs would take a 5-10% cut in pay or have part of what they make put to lower pay brackets n certain pensions they have removed after they are promoted etc n not a separate pension for every promotion. Get rid of the universal healthcare system (had no money to begin with) Stop worrying about supporting other nations and help ourselves first before helping anyone else. Its odd- there used to be a Working Class, those who could afford Cost of living but without excess and not worry too much about making ends meet. now there is just Rich and Poverty. Very sad Govt and Free Enterprise.

Processor Intel Core i7 5820k
Motherboard MSI X99S-GAMING7
Cooling Corsair H105
Memory 16GB G.SKILL DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1070 Gaming G1
Storage Samsung 840 Evo 256GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair 800D
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Filco Majestouch
Software Windows 10
Lol wut?

So as a network administrator I have to shut off the the features of Win8 (if I choose to upgrade) because I don't need app integration, media use or social networking on my domain? how does that benefit me at all? Why would I even consider this OS for my work networks over XP or 7?

Given everything I've read on the OS and what I do on my own computer I don't see any real reason to embrace this OS at all.

While the OP does not cover all potential usage of the OS, I hardly see it as a hate/hit piece.

You already have to do a butt load of configuring when you build an SOE anyway, changing a desktop setting will add a few seconds of building an SOE if that. Complaining about having to turn things off in a corporate environment is pretty silly seeing as any Sys Admin worth their salt would turn all the unneccessary shit off anyway (which both XP and 7 have).

The better resource management alone makes it worth the upgrade I know a few engineers at work who would probably love to have a faster system without having to buy new hardware...

Any one who works in the corporate world now will understand the demand from the user base for mobile devices. Some organisations have gone out and purchased such devices as iPad's, however we all know that an iPad is not designed for business and provides a challenge for Systems Administrators to integrate. Windows 8 is a solution for the customers demands for tablet and mobile devices, while still being easily managed, without having to spend significant dollars on upgrading the back end. From a business perspective Windows 8 makes alot of sense. Instead of laptops mobile users could have the choice of a tablet running Windows 8 with a dock at work and a 4G SIM in the back connected into a corporate APN. A tablet on the go with everything you need a touch away and a fully functional PC when docked.

Windows 8 will likely herald an explosion of integrated tablet devices and phones to the corporate world. Combine this with a seamless home integration of Microsoft products and Microsoft market share increases.

Last edited:

Quantos

Processor AMD Phenom II 955
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory GSkill 2x2GB 1333
Video Card(s) ASUS EAH5850 DirectCU
Storage 1TB WD Black
Display(s) 2x ASUS VH242H
Case Lancool PC-K7
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DS
Power Supply Corsair 750W (Orange)
Software Notepad O/S is the only software I run
Well, it's irrelevant because of the UI. Other than that, if the performance upgrades are decent, it can be a good OS. I think the mistake being made here is that the Metro UI shouldn't be a default UI. It should be the other way around: by default the UI is the usual Windows UI, but if you want to use Metro, you can switch to it. Of course, that doesn't make much sense in terms of marketing... "Yes, we have created this brand new, fantastic UI... but we don't use it by default".

Even better, the UI could be selected depending on the device used. By default, tablets should use Metro and PCs should use the Windows UI. After all, for tablets, Metro does seem quite nice.

One could argue that if a user is bothered enough by Metro, he/she will probably know that it can be deactivated, but that's not really something you want for an OS. By default, it should be optimal, and though that's subjective, as some people will probably be quite content with Metro, I just don't see it being a step forward in terms of productivity, and management for admins. Also, if we consider that a lot of people that use Windows products are employees that are given a computer at work, that's not really people you want to piss off. People that see the product at work and find it annoying to work on will not be tempted to buy it for their home use, even though it could probably be better for a home computer than a work computer. That said, I'll grant that it's rather unlikely that a company computer would get the upgrade to Windows 8 before a home computer.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
I felt the same with running Office 2003/2007 friggin confusing and annoying, Office 97 with 98 updates and office 2000 were very easy to use and navigate to find what you needed.

Processor Intel Core i7 5820k
Motherboard MSI X99S-GAMING7
Cooling Corsair H105
Memory 16GB G.SKILL DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1070 Gaming G1
Storage Samsung 840 Evo 256GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair 800D
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Filco Majestouch
Software Windows 10
Also, if we consider that a lot of people that use Windows products are employees that are given a computer at work, that's not really people you want to piss off. People that see the product at work and find it annoying to work on will not be tempted to buy it for their home use, even though it could probably be better for a home computer than a work computer. That said, I'll grant that it's rather unlikely that a company computer would get the upgrade to Windows 8 before a home computer.

Sadly how annoying an OS is to use in the work place usually has nothing to do with the OS itself but the applications, how the OS is implemented and ludicrous ICT policies that many companies IT departments use/enforce. I have seen many companies butcher their SOE and make their employee's "IT Experience" as irritating and inefficient as possible (mainly in government entities). On the flip side I have also seen some very good implementations where the IT management actually recognise that the end user experience is important, thus easy to use SOE's are born.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Then what is the huge benefit over win 7?

My computer is on 24/7 so I could care less about boot up.

Memory is cheap so using slightly less is not a motivator to invest money in a new OS.

I won't be using metro, so what would make a win7 desktop guy want to spend money on 8?

support for new CPU instructions, like the ones benefitting bulldozer CPU's, for one.

its new memory management will allow it to do the same with less memory for better multi tasking as well.

i've already seen lots of improvements to the mobile features, such as the ability to tell windows to go 'low bandwidth' on certain internet connections and not others - so you can tell it to update away while at home, but use minimal data on your 3G/work internet, for example.

people need to realise that software updates (and new versions of windows) rarely have anything to do with performance. its features, or improvements to existing features.

System Name ICE
Processor AMD 1090t
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Thermaltake MaxORB EX
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX 2x4Gb DDR3@1866
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX670 OC
Storage SSD 128Gb Samsung 840 pro + 2x500Gb sata HDD
Display(s) Samsung 2233RZ@120Hz
Case CM Storm Enforcer
Power Supply Corsair AX760 80Platinum
Software Win 7 - 64 bit

Memory is cheap so using slightly less is not a motivator to invest money in a new OS.

I won't be using metro, so what would make a win7 desktop guy want to spend money on 8?

Finally some common sense! And pretty good question to go along with it too

I use my pc mostly for gaming...got a good rig for excellent gaming on a 1680x1050@120Hz monitor (no 3D, just over 60fps gaming :cool:). Upgrading to Win7 bit64 from xp 32bit was most definattly worth it and I know I'm not talking smack when I say I'm more expert than the average pc user...though I still can't find a reasonable motivation to upgrade. I guess I'll leave that to entusiasts... those guys who jerk off in front of bench numbers and the wizzards of the liquid nitrogen to which I humbly bow in respect :respect:

Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11

spend money nar never just dl for free :laugh:

Quantos

Processor AMD Phenom II 955
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory GSkill 2x2GB 1333
Video Card(s) ASUS EAH5850 DirectCU
Storage 1TB WD Black
Display(s) 2x ASUS VH242H
Case Lancool PC-K7
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DS
Power Supply Corsair 750W (Orange)
Software Notepad O/S is the only software I run
Sadly how annoying an OS is to use in the work place usually has nothing to do with the OS itself but the applications, how the OS is implemented and ludicrous ICT policies that many companies IT departments use/enforce. I have seen many companies butcher their SOE and make their employee's "IT Experience" as irritating and inefficient as possible (mainly in government entities). On the flip side I have also seen some very good implementations where the IT management actually recognise that the end user experience is important, thus easy to use SOE's are born.

True, true, for the end user, the policies are what matter most, but remember that we're not talking about tech-savvy users necessarily. I recall the ribbon in Office 2007 bringing itself quite a lot of hate from users who were accustomed to the way Office 2003 worked, and who didn't want to learn something completely new. The quality of the new solution isn't necessarily at fault; for all we know, Metro might turn out to be a good productivity environment. What's to blame for the hate is the simple fact that people don't like change, sometimes even if the new solution is better. Now, add to that the policies and you end up with a UI that the user has never seen, which is restricted, sometimes as you said heavily. That's not a good productivity cocktail.

Last edited:
System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
don't forget you may want to use the metro style when using gesture controls w/ ur kinect hooked up to your htpc.

someone paying attention to news and adds. microsoft are already showin the world its new ui on every advert blending it into the phsyci , and coincidentally kinect for pc is out a similar time as win8,imho making kinect useable on a desk looks to have been a thought with metro

ive had win8 as a second boot a while and while initially anoying it ends up being win 7.5ish without metro ,i liked all the slight changes to copying files and what not, so id say it wouldnt offend a vista or win7 user to much, but damn xp owners are Not gona like it theyll spend 3 days trying to find the control panel:D

i look forward to their attempts to get us all to buy win 8 tho:) bit much poss

give up with the xp no way is that shit still doin anyone using it any favours:)

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
i got teared a new one for suggesting it was anything short of brilliance on our thread here when it was first released - and that's really all i said. for desktop pc users it only adds complication, and does nothing really better. i did like the task manager & file copy, though that's a little late coming, i use third party software for both of those now. ;)

Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Yeah I get the feeling that there are many angry ignorants who think the Metro interface is going to be jammed down their throat. Metro is for tablets, people. It's not going to touch the desktop interface that everybody uses for real, productive work.

Maybe people have that opinion due to their Microsoft Office experience. Microsoft changed the Office suite from pull-down menus to the ribbon bar in the 2007 release. Many people complained loudly about the jarring change of interface, and Microsoft blew them off ("It's an improvement, trust me!"). That sort of behavior doesn't inspire confidence.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Honestly, I'd still be using Vista as my primary OS if I didn't get Win7 free from my Microsoft partnership. People say there are performance improvements, but they aren't really noticeable, and they aren't worth shelling out any money.

Ahh the duality of the registry system :laugh:

Love it when fiddling/haxoring but hate it for having to install stuff over and over.

No one is actually forcing program developers to use the registry. I've seen plenty of programs that never touch the registry, all their configuration is done via a file either in the directory with the program or generated in some other place(like Documents or Roaming etc.).

Everyone that wants to complain about the registry needs to talk the software developers that are creating the programs.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
The registry is just a one stop shop for system wide alterations, some are needed most are not.

I actually bought my own copy of 7 as I didn't like the new partner terms and conditions, specifically the part where any and all software you get through partner channels they can force you to remove, or revoke the keys for at any time. I have been getting other hard copy software that I sell, or uhh trade...... since it is NFR.

Windows 8 will be like Vista in the aspect that people will need to get used to it, it is poised to be the next vista if MS pulls the same stunts they did by throwing out features in order to get it finished on time. The difference between Vista SP1 and 7 RTM was enough to make most people move, and even have MS give away free upgrades. really the issues that plagued Vista were due to lazy manufacturers that didn't bother writing drivers, or writing good drivers and software for it. I had my copy for at least 16 months before it hit the market, and if a company can't get off their ass and write a few MB of good code to at least get started in that timeframe they have issues unto themselves.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
The first pre-release Windows 7 builds were just as 'irrelevant' to anyone who used Vista. It's only after beta and RCs that people started seeing the performance improvements.

I can see that being the case... of course, I can also see the case where the numbers of people who were actually licking a cow pie...err... "using vista" I mean, were so ridiculously small compared to the XP users, that argument really kinda falls short....

All the people complaining need to realize the Windows 8 you're previewing is the DEVELOPER PREVIEW. Which clearly means, its for developing and testing apps for the Metro UI. If you don't like it, just disable it. If you're using the Windows 8 dev preview thinking it will be a 100% awesome stable OS, get real. It's a preview. This isn't even a real beta yet. The majority of non-developers are complaining because they don't realize this isn't a complete OS. Metro isn't for the general desktop users. It's for touch devices.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming