• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Flashing error. HD AX5870 bios problem

HOMERLVSBEER

[SOLVED]Flashing error. HD AX5870 badflash bios problem

HI GUYS. its all gone wrong. iam new here, and new at flashing a gpu.
i used this- Powercolor.HD5870.1024.100208
to flash my radeon hd5870 ax5870 and this file looks extreamly like mine.
but it cant be cause as soon as i rebooted i couldnt post, ive been out and got hold of a cheap 8800gtx. to put me on. cant get picture with my amd hd5870 in the pc.
ive saved my bios. but my pc only has 1 graphics pci express slot.
whats the best way to flash back by usb flash drive pls.
i flashed my bios with ati winflash. in windows. i put that file in above and clicked program. i didnt unlock the gpu. said it all flashed ok. ? help will be really appreciated thanks.. i wont do it again i swear. :banghead:

what i really wanted to do was get a bios that allowed me to pump up the voltage a little bit.
because ive heard of people going upto 1.3volts.
i just wanted about 1.2volts or not even that. the card runs at 1.063volts something like that. i hear you can get your clocks upto 1000mhz core clock. with a small rise in voltage. standard can get 920 max stable. at the moment i cant get nothing. as i need to flash the orig bios back. i think i have an idea how to do it. using hirens boot 14. but i need a pc with motherboard graphics so i can insert my hd5870 into pci slot and flash back to orig bios. iam new at this so pls any info you have would be really helpfull thankyou.

what would be nice is if there was a way to put your bios onto a flash drive.
make the flash drive bootable, and run the flash automatic.
so i can put my hd5870 into the pci slot and turn the pc on and even thou i cant see the image cause screen is just black, it would automatic boot from flash drive and flash the card on its own.

can this be done. ?

or do you really need to see the image.
if i had a motherboard with onboard graphics i could do it then i beleive, this is what ive learned from what i have read up so far.

i was going to do a blind flash. seems easy enough, got my usb made bootable with HPUSBDisk
then put ati flash onto my usb flash drive with the files and my orig bin.
got the commands written down. atiflash -p -f 0 cypress.bin

then i got going. but i found out that with no video. my pc wasnt allowing me to boot up making a blind flash impossible.. :(

Last edited:
System Name Intel
Processor Q3740m
Motherboard Clevo P170EM
Memory TeamGroup Xtreem DDR2-667 MicronD9 3-3-3-8/GSkill 4Gb 1066Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD6870 Vapor-X/Sapphire X1950XT
Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500Gb + WD green 1Tb + WD Black 500Gb
Display(s) Asus LCD 22"
Case ThermalTake sViking
Audio Device(s) Realtek OnBoard
Power Supply LC Power Hiperion 700Watt
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit
Are you sure your pc is not booting? It should boot because a video card is actually present. What about if you try to find some batch file rhat allows you to reboot the system and try it? Maybe you could find out if the pc is booting into DOS or not... Cheers

HOMERLVSBEER

thanks PsySc0rpi0n. i can tell its not booting because the lights on my keyboard arnt lighting up.
i press caps lock after its had time to boot, and nothing. no num lock light or caps lock light. so i assume no keyboard cause its halted. ??? any ideas pls. ???

HOMERLVSBEER

I FIXED IT. am going to tell you all how i did it.
and it was so simple. and i havnt seen any of guys here talking about doing it this way,
everyone seems to talk about having 2 pci express x16 slots.
but if you just get an old graphics card vga that will fit into a pci slot. and use that with a moniter. you will easily have video. you can pick up an old graphics card for a few pounds. its doesnt matter how old it is as long as it gives you video thats all you need.
go into windows then with your hd5870 or whatever card you have and use winflash as administrator. to flash back to your original bios.
when you boot back into windows your gpu may not boot up first time you may get a black screen again,
think i had to boot 2, 3 times before i got an image. damn it felt nice.
then when i got into windows the card installed itself but showed an error. as it must have still had old settings of other bios somewhere. said soemthing about the ccc not having the correct rights, but i beleived it was from the old bios somehow, and i think it was, or it was info from a driver,
i cleaned up windows. and i uninstalled the display drivers. then rebooted, came back into windows and installed the amd graphics drivers. at first it was a little touchy. and i had to uninstall the drivers again. cause the catalyst controller didnt start and the driver didnt install right, so. i uninstalled everything again. gave windows a good clean. registry etc. then i used driver sweeper to get rid of all the old driver files. remember to uninstall display drivers in device manager if you have to do this again. reboot and istall amd drivers again. i made sure i did a custom install to see that everything was installed correctly. all is well booted back up fine.
back to normal again.

You may not have the issues with the drivers like i did. but i just wanted to let you know what i went through.
i mean ya cant be a confident flasher until you have bricked your favorite gpu a couple of times can ya. lol.
i think i will be leaving it alone from now on. i hope this will help someone it feels horrible when it happens. i dont know why it happened. i think i had too many programs running in windows. and this time i changed display to basic. and made sure nothing else was running in windows.
i also pulled out few of my hhdrives. better to flash with a basic a system as you can make it. just have the essentials that you need. happy flashing. be carefull. :)

it could have just been a bad bios i downloaded. probable.

Last edited: