• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Congress Debates SOPA, Hypocritically Downloads Illegally Itself

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming
Cooling Noctua
Memory G.SKILL Flare X Series 16GB DDR4 3466
Video Card(s) EVGA 980ti FTW
Storage (OS)Samsung 950 Pro (512GB), (Data) WD Reds
Display(s) 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser GAME ONE
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2
Mouse Mionix Castor
Keyboard Deck Hassium Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yes...I'm not an idiot...but it's rampant piracy and copyright infringement since the advent of the internet that allows a censorship laden and freedom-stomping bill like SOPA to even be drafted and debated in the first place. Sure, the internet in it's present (essentially accidental) form simply allows us too many various and even new "freedoms" which Big Brother and Big Business does not like at all for various reasons from unregulated and untaxed commerce to Occupy Wall Street organizing over social media. But if not for the intellectual property "theft" that goes on daily I really don't think they'd have a politically viable reason for exercising such "control" over it as SOPA would dictate and make reality.

I don't know if this will pass. But it sure has a good chance. And going on from there I can say for sure that, regardless, the internet in 2022 will be a helluva lot different than the one we know in 2012 and surely not in a "good" way.

I am inclined to get irritated at people for acting like this but I cant blame you. I know you guys are smart but you have been conditioned to think in a certain way. I used to have the same opinions and say that same things about the type of person I have become. you need to be prodded to look at things differently. you need to wake up

reality check
reality check

stop watching main stream media and research online before all of the evidence is censored!

“All problems, depressions, wars, disasters, assassinations, all of them were planned, caused, instigated, and implemented by the International Bankers and their attempt to establish a central bank in every country in the world, which they have now done, thanks to corrupt politicians who have been bought and paid for. This is all you need to know about the history of the world.”
-John F. Kennedy

Last edited:
Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
Land of the free? So long as you're a big company or a bank. Perhaps large corporations should have done and remove all individual rights from the constitution in one foul swoop. That at least would expose the freedom and democracy on which the US was once allegedly based as fallacies.

There are no need for conspiracy theories, rights are clearly being eroded and a tech site that failed to report on these developments simply wouldn't be doing its job. The problem does not lie with quibit and his journalistic focus, but rather with US politicans who amount to little more than the voice of corporate interest. Quibit did not invent this news, he merely reported it.

Moreover, given that employment figures are on the increase and that both Europe and the US appear intent on placing the burden of the financial crisis on the taxpayer rather than the bank, freedom of speech will inevitably run contrary to government/corporate interests.

Of course, if you wish to believe that such laws are set in motion to thwart the illicit downloading of games, that is your prerogative.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Land of the free? So long as you're a big company or a bank. Perhaps large corporations should have done and remove all individual rights from the constitution in one foul swoop. That at least would expose the freedom and democracy on which the US was once allegedly based as fallacies.

There are no need for conspiracy theories, rights are clearly being eroded and a tech site that failed to report on these developments simply wouldn't be doing its job. The problem does not lie with quibit and his journalistic focus, but rather with US politicans who amount to little more than the voice of corporate interest. Quibit did not invent this news.

Moreover, given that employment figures are on the increase and that both Europe and the US appear intent on placing the burden of the financial crisis on the taxpayer rather than the bank, freedom of speech will inevitably run contrary to government/corporate interests.

Of course, if you wish to believe that such laws are set in motion to thwart the illicit downloading of games, that is your prerogative.

Ahmen brother, thank you so much, +1 the whole post. :toast:

And as far the highlighted bit goes, it's a classic case of shooting the messenger by the corporate apologists on here/people that want to stick their heads in the sand. Heck, I'm used to it by now and totally expect it when reporting on abuses like this. Whatever. I'll continue doing what's best for TPU and people as a whole by getting those stories on here, where everyone (not just TPU members) can see them. Knowledge of these abuses is power. Notice how SOPA doesn't get a mention in mainstream corporate news channels or papers? This is a high magnitude bill, so the fact that it's not being reported on is no accident. The powerful corporate lobbyists that control the media and the government (they are their sock puppets, think substantial campaign and party donations) want to keep everyone in the dark until it's too late. We must prevent this as much as possible. Heck, just now, btarunr has posted a news story about more companies 'withdrawing' support for SOPA. See? This subject is very much within TPU's remit.

Also, everyone should know, I was actually asked to write this article by management, on TPU. So yes, these are new developments that need to be reported on and the kind of stories that are reported on here evolve over time. Think: technology and everything related to it changes at a massive pace, so how ridiculous would it be if TPU stayed the same as several years ago?

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.

There are no need for conspiracy theories, rights are clearly being eroded and a tech site that failed to report on these developments simply wouldn't be doing its job. The problem does not lie with quibit and his journalistic focus, but rather with US politicans who amount to little more than the voice of corporate interest. Quibit did not invent this news, he merely reported it.

See this is what you don't understand. Nobody thinks this is about stopping piracy. You are right. This is about control. What you don't get is why people like Wrigleyvillain and I are pissed. See the governments of the world. Not just the U.S. are about control even if you don't wanna hear that. The U.S. is just an easy scape goat. Anyway ALL governments want power. That's their very nature. Power. They have been looking for a reason for YEARS to clamp down on the web. But how? You just cant censor like China right? SO they need a good reason. Pirates gave it to them on a silver platter. So yeah thanks pirate. We all have to suffer because of you.

As for this being front page news well......I was on these stories well before they were posted here. I didn't report them. Why? Because of this crap. We argue about things well out of our control and it ends up being a debate about things most people don't have a full grasp on. Threads like this create animosity between members and instead of taking about RAM timings and silicon doping we argue things like politics and religion. Things NONE of us can agree on, EVER. This is why I don't report SOPA, piracy or any other political news. This isnt news. Its flame bait the way its reported.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
See this is what you don't understand. Nobody thinks this is about stopping piracy. You are right. This is about control. What you don't get is why people like Wrigleyvillain and I are pissed. See the governments of the world. Not just the U.S. are about control even if you don't wanna hear that. The U.S. is just an easy scape goat. Anyway ALL governments want power. That's their very nature. Power. They have been looking for a reason for YEARS to clamp down on the web. But how? You just cant censor like China right? SO they need a good reason. Pirates gave it to them on a silver platter. So yeah thanks pirate. We all have to suffer because of you.

As for this being front page news well......I was on these stories well before they were posted here. I didn't report them. Why? Because of this crap. We argue about things well out of our control and it ends up being a debate about things most people don't have a full grasp on. Threads like this create animosity between members and instead of taking about RAM timings and silicon doping we argue things like politics and religion. Things NONE of us can agree on, EVER. This is why I don't report SOPA, piracy or any other political news. This isnt news. Its flame bait.

I agree with part of what you say, MM.

I agree that all governments want this kind of totalitarian control and they are most suredly using 'piracy' as a scapegoat to implement crap like this. :shadedshu

I don't agree with blaming 'pirates' over the actions of big corps and government though.

And as far as reporting it and the heated conversations that occur? Well yes, you're gonna get disagreements and the conversation isn't always pretty, but that's human nature, man. And people do agree, not everyone sure, but there is agreement all right. It's not a reason to run away from it and pretend it doesn't exist, because this sh*t f*cks us all over, whether you're aware of it or not, so better to see it coming. Look, I'm not the only one posting about this, as you can see, so the idea of reporting on this subject is not coming from me, but right from the top. Ultimately, the more that this stuff is discussed over the internet, regardles of its tone, the more that awareness of it will increase in the general population and there will be resistance to it. Look, it's already happening as it is, as you can see.

Personally, I think you should write at least one SOPA article and let us have your viewpoint on the issue within it. It would make for an interesting conversation and I'd be happy to debate it with you. :toast:

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor

As for this being front page news well......I was on these stories well before they were posted here. I didn't report them. Why? Because of this crap. We argue about things well out of our control and it ends up being a debate about things most people don't have a full grasp on. Threads like this create animosity between members and instead of taking about RAM timings and silicon doping we argue things like politics and religion. Things NONE of us can agree on, EVER. This is why I don't report SOPA, piracy or any other political news. This isnt news. Its flame bait the way its reported.

mailman, did you see this link? the guy is goofy and presents it in an annoying fashion but these corporations sponsored piracy via all of these trusted sources. they were advocating piracy and now they are advocating SOPA. playing millions of people like fools

pathetic

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
I agree with part of what you say, MM.

I agree that all governments want this kind of totalitarian control and they are most suredly using 'piracy' as a scapegoat to implement crap like this. :shadedshu

I don't agree with blaming 'pirates' over the actions of big corps and government though.

And as far as reporting it and the heated conversations that occur? Well yes, you're gonna get disagreements and the conversation isn't always pretty, but that's human nature, man. And people do agree, not everyone sure, but there is agreement all right. It's not a reason to run away from it and pretend it doesn't exist, because this sh*t f*cks us all over, whether you're aware of it or not, so better to see it coming. Look, I'm not the only one posting about this, as you can see, so the idea of reporting on this subject is not coming from me, but right from the top. Ultimately, the more that this stuff is discussed over the internet, regardles of its tone, the more that awareness of it will increase in the general population and there will be resistance to it. Look, it's already happening as it is, as you can see.

Personally, I think you should write at least one SOPA article and let us have your viewpoint on the issue within it. It would make for an interesting conversation and I'd be happy to debate it with you. :toast:
No I won't report it with my view. I report the news. Not my view. That's what forum posts are for. I don't think your doing anyone a favor reporting your view. Just report the news and let people make up their own mind without a biased slant on the subject from the get-go. What your doing now is very Fox news.

mailman, did you see this link? the guy is goofy and presents it in an annoying fashion but these corporations sponsored piracy via all of these trusted sources. they were advocating piracy and now they are advocating SOPA. playing millions like fools

pathetic
Oh ok. So if a girl wears a short skirt she should be raped? No just like you want to hold congress for its actions you have to hold PEOPLE for theirs. Nobody forced anyone to download stuff they didn't pay for. They did that all by themselves.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
No I won't report it with my view. I report the news. Not my view. That's what forum posts are for. I don't think your doing anyone a favor reporting your view. Just report the news and let people make up their own mind without a biased slant on the subject from the get-go. What your doing now is very Fox news.

Oh ok. So if a girl wears a short skirt she should be raped? No just like you want to hold congress for its actions you have to hold PEOPLE for theirs. Nobody forced anyone to download stuff they didn't pay for. They did that all by themselves.

this isnt the type of issue nor a convenient time to be politically correct... I digress with any further questions posed to you

and btw, all main stream media sucks ass so to try and even bring Fox or into this holds no merit whatsover and for that matter diluting the topic with some hypothetical scenario is a waste of time

TheMailMan78

Big Member
this isnt the type of issue nor a convenient time to be politically correct... I digress with any further questions posed to you

Yeah I know its tough when facts get in the way of ideology. Beware the PM monkeys by the way.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

Then just report it! :toast: It doesn't matter too much which style you use, just get the story out there. :)

As far as putting my view in it, you should realize just how many other websites put their view in it too - just check out the source site, DailyTech, for this story to see what I mean. We'll just have to disagree on reporting styles - and I respect whatever style you choose to use - but I don't see why I shouldn't report abuses for what they are and word it strongly. If one really wants 'neutral'/bland reporting, then that's what the BBC is for.

btw I don't watch Fox news. I take it they load their analysis/commentary/opinions into a lot of their stories? Sounds interesting.

Reactions: Fx

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Then just report it! :toast: It doesn't matter too much which style you use, just get the story out there. :)

As far as putting my view in it, you should realize just how many other websites put their view in it too - just check out the source site, DailyTech, for this story to see what I mean. We'll just have to disagree on reporting styles - and I respect whatever style you choose to use - but I don't see why I shouldn't report abuses for what they are and word it strongly. If one really wants 'neutral'/bland reporting, then that's what the BBC is for.

btw I don't watch Fox news. I take it they load their analysis/commentary/opinions into a lot of their stories? Sounds interesting.

Yes FOX is a top tier news platform. You would fit right in.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
Yeah I know its tough when facts get in the way of ideology. Beware the PM monkeys by the way.

tough? that is funny in a pathetic way

it is also funny to see you initially arguing that there was no conspiracy and it was just about piracy yet now you own up to the fact that it is a political stunt using piracy to further their agenda and go even further to posture yourself as the one to call it out along with Wrigley

whatever dude. whatever

thats right qubit. it is what it is

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Well if congress debates this like they do every thing else it will pass with out any objections . You must understand congress is filled with suite dummy's all they want are votes and this will get them the votes to stay in office .

TheMailMan78

Big Member
tough? that is funny in a pathetic way

it is funny to see you initially arguing that there was no conspiracy and it was just about piracy yet now you own up to the fact that it is a political stunt using piracy to further their agenda and go even further to posture yourself as the one to call it out along with Wrigley

whatever dude. whatever

There is no freemason conspiracy. As a matter of fact there is no conspiracy at all. Its all very open to be honest. I do enjoy watching all the excuses by people who have been breaking the law for years however. They all look for "conspiracy" against them. When in the end they can only blame themselves.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
There is no freemason conspiracy. As a matter of fact there is no conspiracy at all. Its all very open to be honest. I do enjoy watching all the excuses by people who have been breaking the law for years however. They all look for "conspiracy" against them. When in the end they can only blame themselves.

I agree . But isn't this more about big brother controlling every thing ? I mean give them an inch and they will take a mile ! Trust me on this . No matter how one looks at this they want to control the internet and all computers every where and THEY WILL ! It is a shame that we can not get the people that do this crap to stop . If you want some thing buy it if you can not buy it then don't steal it ! Theft is wrong ! And it only hurts every one that doesn't steal !

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Dismissive. Not constructive. Nice. ;)

I wasnt being dismissive. Not at all. Your news style is that of FOX news. One of the most watched news stations in the world.

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor

your life is filled with conspiracies and it is truly sad that you cant realize it

a vast amount of information of what you know and think you understand is a based off of conspiracies or the indirect impact from the existence of conspiracies...

you probably wont ever realize that because you dont want to research it, which is fine because after all... each man to his own right?

I agree . But isn't this more about big brother controlling every thing ? I mean give them an inch and they will take a mile ! Trust me on this . No matter how one looks at this they want to control the internet and all computers every where and THEY WILL ! It is a shame that we can not get the people that do this crap to stop.

yep, it is crazy how much power and control we have given them all while trusting them. but they are the ones being controlled to control us. that simple fact is the reason why everything is screwed up right now and many people have WTF bubbles over their head wondering how it got this bad

we werent aware of the 3rd parties...

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I wasnt being dismissive. Not at all. Your news style is that of FOX news. One of the most watched news stations in the world.

So ? I watch FOX news . Sure is better than watching CNN with Nancy Disgrace or Dr. Drew ! Talk about one sided !

TheMailMan78

Big Member
your life is filled with conspiracies and it is truly sad that you cant realize it

a vast amount of information of what you know and think you understand is a based off of conspiracies or the indirect impact from the existence of conspiracies...

you probably wont ever realize that because you dont want to research it, which is fine because after all... each man to his own right?

Or I could just pay my bills. Follow my conscience. Take care of my children and not steal from people and let the dogs of war howl. I am well read in a lot of things and have been to many nations. Nothing new is being done today. Nothing at all. Thinking their is a shadow behind every corner will lead you to insanity. Just live your life and watch your ass. Its all anyone can do.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Or I could just pay my bills. Follow my conscience. Take care of my children and not steal from people and let the dogs of war howl. I am well read in a lot of things and have been to many nations. Nothing new is being done today. Nothing at all. Thinking their is a shadow behind every corner will lead you to insanity. Just live your life and watch your ass. Its all anyone can do.

You got it brother ! :respect:

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor

Agree:
pay bills
follow conscience
take care of family
do not steal
let loose the dogs of war
well read (awesome)
thinking their is a shadow behind every corner

Disagree:
Nothing new is being done today(I severely disagree)

if you want to better understand war history you should google Hegelian Dialectic and false-flag. this has been used by all of the tyrants that you can think and dates all the way back to Roman times. I can soundly say that the US uses it a lot. a fine example is SOPA and dare I mention towers which introduced the Patriot Act

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Ok You 2 need to chill out Please . FX and TheMailMan78 Please just agree to disagree and move on .

Fx

Processor Ryzen 2600x
Cooling Noctua
Mouse Mionix Castor
Ok You 2 need to chill out Please . FX and TheMailMan78 Please just agree to disagree and move on .

I have chilled out after his last post. I see that we have a lot in common