• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MegaUpload.com Shuttered: One Month 'Black March' Media Boycott Slated For March 1st

This is going to fail so hard

Mass effect 3
Release date(s) NA March 6, 2012[5]
AU March 8, 2012
EU March 9, 2012[6]
JP March 15, 2012

Yeah i'd love to see people not buy or pirate that.

Street Fighter x Tekken
Diablo III (no defined release date but it is slated for QI of 2012 which would end with march)

Be just as effective as that Assassin creed 2 boycott or MW3 boycott in other words this boycott will set record sales for the series =p

Last edited:
System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
Never heard of them before (mega whatever) and feel that when the cops (or whoever) come to arrest you and you try and disabled your computers and then run into a safe room to hide (with a sawed-off shotgun) tells me that you were not really on the up-and-up in your business practices. Sorry for all those individuals that lost their legitimate files (or whatever). I have never pirated anything (no need when I can buy it) and it appears from what I read that sharing pirated movies and whatever else was their mainstay. They got caught...

Never heard of them before so your using your vast knowledge of the site to talk absolute bollocks well done :slap:

There are tons of sites out there like mega upload and despite what a few people think who obviously get all there facts from the media and therefore can't fathom to step out of their own little bubble and think for themselves, these sites are used by a lot of people for purely legal reasons, heck we use them in work to upload files to so we don't have to constantly upload them when they are being downloaded by different people multiple times and save money by saving bandwidth, so are they going to do this to all the other sites that offer this service? fuck you may as well take google, youtube and facebook down cause they are also used to share pirated material. Censorship at it's worse, corrupt governments and corporations using piracy as an excuse to censor.

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
So you and your company used MegaUpload's services?

Edit: Sorry for the above comment, however I understand the importance of being able to use a file sharing service. One would expect that an individual or company would do their research and make sure the file sharing company they were dealing with wasn't one that was dealing in bad practices.

Last edited:
Megaupload is being taken down for many reasons, just getting to reasons dealing with copyright, there are links to megaupload itself as a company uploading pirated material in order to get traffic. There are also quite a bit dealing with their inability to swiftly comply with take down notices. The point is they are if they are to deny that they ran a business not based of piracy, that their actions/inactions do not support that narrative, which youtube can claim ionno about facebook, google as a whole can easily claim.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
I find US global interference to be alarming. I find corporate influence on legislative processes and the actions of the security forces within the US to be more alarming still.

I have a number of friends who used Megaupload to store legitimate, unpirated material. I have never witnessed the shutting down of a road network because a number of vehicles were speeding.

Strange that I am asked to accept just that, in digital terms, on an international level, on the simple say-so of the US of A.

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
anyone who was paying attention in grade school knows this has nothing to do with free speech or censorship of the internet. the fbi mounted evidence against megaupload and a judge gave them the permission to arrest and raid/seize the domain. seriously, you kiddies are defending slugs who profited off of other people's work. you can be for free speech and intellectual property. pretty sad you kids.

Alleged Slugs:)

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
It doesn't have to be perfectly targeted. All it has to do is make a big enough dent in the quarterly profits to convince those at the top that we have power. Being all "this won't work hurgblarr" is exactly why these things never work. Nobody tries because they assume failure. Don't assume failure. Come up with an impassioned plea or steal someone else's and post about March wherever you can think of. Urge others to do the same. For all the bitching we do about the various problems in government nothing ever happens because we have no collective focus, no cohesion. Just try focusing this one damn time and lets see what happens.

System Name Ryzen Reynolds
Processor Ryzen 1600 - 4.0Ghz 1.415v - SMT disabled
Motherboard mATX Asrock AB350m AM4
Cooling Raijintek Leto Pro
Memory Vulcan T-Force 16GB DDR4 3000 16.18.18 @3200Mhz 14.17.17
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ 4GB RX 580 - 1450/2000 BIOS mod 8-)
Storage Seagate B'cuda 1TB/Sandisk 128GB SSD
Display(s) Acer ED242QR 75hz Freesync
Case Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair VS 550w
Mouse Zalman ZM-M401R
Keyboard Razor Lycosa
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/6220813
So you and your company used MegaUpload's services?

Edit: Sorry for the above comment, however I understand the importance of being able to use a file sharing service. One would expect that an individual or company would do their research and make sure the file sharing company they were dealing with wasn't one that was dealing in bad practices.

And how do you do that? they remove content when it's reported same as YouTube

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Yes, that is what you are getting. TPU, as far as I know has no official position on it, though they do allow qubit to make these posts, so I guess I really don't know. Aside from that, I completely agree with your points. It seems like some people really like to react before thinking it through.

I haven't heard anything officially either. However, it's likely not too different to mine, as TPU and every other forum would be firmly in the crosshairs of any SOPA style legislation. Anyway, I'm not the only one reporting ths stuff, there's bta's report on SOPA just before mine, for example.

Anyway, I don't see why you're unhappy about how I reported this. I reported it in a neutral manner (with a fair dollop of ironic humour about people who don't make backups ;)) and just added my take at the end. It looks like some people want the lobotomized BBC style bland reporting, while others prefer mine. Sorry peeps, can't please everyone with such diametrically opposed viewpoints.

Also, you didn't get just a couple of paragraphs, but instead you got a well-written, detailed article with lots of further reading at the end. That's good value for the reader my friend. :toast:

Reactions: w3b
Processor faster than yours
Motherboard better than yours
Cooling cooler than yours
Memory smarter than yours
Video Card(s) better performance than yours
Storage stronger than yours
Display(s) bigger than yous
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) clearer than yours
Power Supply more powerful than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
stick all these anonymous & pirate a-hole kids in jail. at least they won't be virgins anymore

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
stick all these anonymous & pirate a-hole kids in jail. at least they won't be virgins anymore
There we go, a completely reasonable argument. :rolleyes:

Crx15

System Name Njx
Processor I5 2500k
Motherboard ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3
Cooling stock
Memory corsair vengence 8gb 1600
Storage 500 gb western digital cavalier blue
Display(s) acer 22 inch
Case corsair carbide 400r
Power Supply ocz 700w moduler power supply
Software windows 7 64 bit
The more i think about it , the more i realize im just against it .

Now to state. I was fully against sopa/pipa . I was proudly part of many advocate groups and protesters marching outside Montpelier Vermont against Senators Leahy's bill .

The point of my protesting was not so that i could "protest against the government taking away from my illegal downloads", it was because I felt they where over reaching on our freedom of speech .
Most people are like me in the fact that where not opposed to some kind of intervention which helps tackle piracy in general . It would be silly to argue there's no problem and needs some kind of way to police it .This week proved we do already have the proper laws in place and we need no more laws to tackle this issue .

OK, so why am i against "black March"
You're doing EXACTLY what the u.s government just did ! You're tacking on the entire industry regardless on there stance of megaupload ,sopa/pipa , YOU'RE PUNISHING THE LEGAL DOWNLOADER'S AS WELL AS THE ILLEGAL ONES ... You're shitting in the face of all the people who where just a week ago supporter's for "freedom of speech and expression on the internet" and saying YOUR NOW THE PROBLEM !! this makes no sense to me to punish the entire industry when its not the collective whole who's the problem .

It doesn't take much time to figure out who the problem is and who's not . By making such a broad statement it will have a negative impact on the true cause at hand . People will start waivering to the other side because it will seem as those its more about "illegal download's" then censorship .
I would be all for a boycott of certain industry's and companies , etc... And i truly think the impact would be felt harder if it was more targeted boycotting then such a broad blanket of the entertainment industry . Think bank of america as a good example of targeted protest that grew awareness to the cause.

A bit of a rant , and im sure will be torn apart , however like i said , im not opposed to a boycott but this in its current state i can't see the mass appeal much less myself getting around it . Feel free to inlighten me im certainly looking for a reason to see why this would do more good then bad .

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I haven't heard anything officially either. However, it's likely not too different to mine, as TPU and every other forum would be firmly in the crosshairs of any SOPA style legislation. Anyway, I'm not the only one reporting ths stuff, there's bta's report on SOPA just before mine, for example.

Anyway, I don't see why you're unhappy about how I reported this. I reported it in a neutral manner (with a fair dollop of ironic humour about people who don't make backups ;)) and just added my take at the end. It looks like some people want the lobotomized BBC style bland reporting, while others prefer mine. Sorry peeps, can't please everyone with such diametrically opposed viewpoints.

Also, you didn't get just a couple of paragraphs, but instead you got a well-written, detailed article with lots of further reading at the end. That's good value for the reader my friend. :toast:

Never said I was unhappy about it. I'd rather have good reporting than lousy opinion filled reporting, yes. But this has nothing to do with the topic at hand so I have no idea what you're going on about. Don't really care either way.

D

Deleted member 24505

Read the comments on Reddit, they were retards running it, it was inevitable they would be caught. If you are going to run a site like that, at least try and make it seem legit instead of sending emails that are interceptible stating the fact that you are doing illegal things. Idiots derserved it.

Case fancier than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
There we go, a completely reasonable argument. :rolleyes:

thank you, see how much better life would be with reason. ;)

I don't see how anyone would defend people who steal copyright material unless they themselves do it. All the excuses I hear are complete BS.

All I am hurting is a big company
- no you are hurting the employees who end up getting layed-off or get no bonus checks. The big company still makes their money and cuts cost (labor being their highest cost) to reach their objectives. If you really want to hurt a big-company, go rob their executives. At least that takes balls (rather then hiding behind a computer monitor) and it will give you some prison cred when you go the big house.

it costs too much to buy games
- it's called supply and demand. yes $60 games are outrageous but gamers are getting older and most have jobs so they can afford it. wait for STEAM sales or join gamefly. start a petition to stop purchasing $60 games....or leave mom's basement and flip some burgers.

there is no demo - actually music is demoed everyday on the radio and all DD providers have 10 second clips so there is no excuse there. Movies and software all get reviewed by professionals and fan boys. games get pirated based on popularity not lack of a demo. Every study has proven that, demos do not increase or decrease pirating of game. No one pirates a game that sucks even though it has no demo. Popular games with demos get pirated all the time. That excuses is flat out laughable not to mention every game gets reviewed at launch.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Never said I was unhappy about it. I'd rather have good reporting than lousy opinion filled reporting, yes. But this has nothing to do with the topic at hand so I have no idea what you're going on about. Don't really care either way.

So you think my reporting is lousy and opinion filled? Really? Ok, whatever.

I was responding to what you said, which responded to HossHuge's post about reporting style, so I don't see how it's irrelevent? If anyone took things off topic it's him and yourself about how I report the news and TPU's official position on this kind of topic (Black March, SOPA etc).

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Read the comments on Reddit, they were retards running it, it was inevitable they would be caught. If you are going to run a site like that, at least try and make it seem legit instead of sending emails that are interceptible stating the fact that you are doing illegal things. Idiots derserved it.

They weren't "interceptible" emails, they were copies of the emails a Megaupload employee have and were shown to "authorities" in exchange for immunity. Or possible was threatened/blackmailed to give them those copies. We still don't know.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
They weren't "interceptible" emails, they were copies of the emails a Megaupload employee have and were shown to "authorities" in exchange for immunity. Or possible was threatened/blackmailed to give them those copies. We still don't know.

Well, if you read TorrentFreak's summary of the indictment, they say that it refers to "an unindicted co-conspirator", which means just what you're thinking of. However, note that the indictment doesn't identify this person or the context, leaving us all guessing. Nice.

In fact, if you read that TorrentFreak summary, you'll see how that indictment states a lot of things without stating the all-important context. Bit iffy if you ask me, but then that's hardly surprising with all this copyright BS is it?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
So you think my reporting is lousy and opinion filled? Really? Ok, whatever.

I never said that. Please stop being so defensive, you have no reason to be.

Case fancier than yours
Mouse lighter than yours
a really good article on why megaload was taken down
http://torrentfreak.com/megaupload-what-made-it-a-rogue-site-worthy-of-destruction-120120/

and my favorite part

In June 2010, it appears that MegaUpload was subjected to a something of a test by the authorities. The company was informed, pursuant to a criminal search warrant from the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, that thirty-nine infringing movies were being stored on their servers at Carpathia Hosting in the Eastern District of Virginia.

“A member of the Mega Conspiracy informed several of his co-conspirators at that time that he located the named files using internal searches of their systems. As of November 18, 2011, more than a year later, thirty-six of the thirty-nine infringing motion pictures were still being stored on the servers controlled by the Mega Conspiracy,” the indictment reads.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I never said that. Please stop being so defensive, you have no reason to be.

Ok, thankyou very much. :toast: I think we just have epic misunderstandings one way or another :eek: and I'm happy to be put right. :)

D

Deleted member 24505

Whatever, i think they deserved it, I hope they like their new friend Bubba in whatever shithole jail the Americans chuck them into.

Also, it seems to me this is just going to create more traffic for the other file hosting sites that are left, they will not be unhappy at MU's demise you can be sure of that.

Processor Xeon x5650
Motherboard SABERTOOTH X58
Cooling Fans
Memory 24 GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) GTX 1060 3GB
Storage small ssd
Display(s) Dell 2001F, BenQ short throw
Case Lian Li
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply X750
Software Mint 19.3, Win 10
Benchmark Scores not so fast...
I haven't looked at the rest of the Internet about this situation, but isn't the feds shutting down the site just like shutting down a bank because a drug dealer has money there? I used megaupload... for roms for my phone. I use the bank....to get my paycheck to pay my phone bill.

This Red March will be easy for me. Getting others along will take some work.

I honestly would only boycott everything but those games.

The indictment, if many of you actually know what one is, is passed down after a secret grand jury is presented evidence. There are rules and regulations that holds the grand jury meeting, and they are almost always used for high profile cases. Evidence is given to the grand jury and this grand jury has the power to ask for testimony as well as see documents. So the purpose of the grand jury is to conduct its own investigations into matters. So if torrent freak is wondering how they got the emails, the grand jury has the power do that type of stuff, on top of that their proceeding are secret, and member who even talks about anything that went on in the grand jury at minimum faces something like 5 years in jail. On top of that the grand jury are all citizens, and well you can't really call them the feds, they are supposedly average citizens and they usually are selected by random. If they think a crime has been committed they pass down an indictment, which really means we think you are guilty and you are going to stand trail for it.

I read that torrent Freak article, it seems like they really did go through the indictment, we will see what happens, but i can say i went to download something from megaupload many times it it said it was gone b/c of copywrite.

Last edited: