• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel Might Make Up for Ivy Bridge Delay With Lower Prices

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x8GB Kingston Beast Series DDR3 2133MHz CL11
Video Card(s) Asus STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
Storage Kingston HyperX 3K, 120GB
Display(s) AOC 2269WM
Audio Device(s) Behringer UCA202 USB
Power Supply Seasonic G Series 550W
Software Win 7 x64
This is only true if everyone is an enthusiast and upgrades every year or more.
Most don't. Enthusiast is a tiny niche market. Most people only buy a computer when they NEED to, not cause something new and great came out. Therefore they can monopolize the market. Its only the enthusiasts that would even notice.
And intel lowering prices BWAHAHAHA And I see pink elephants floating in the sky when i look out the window.

I disagree, if the average customer NEEDED a new PC and bought one, only to find out it had the same performance or it overheated the same. I think not only the customer would try to find out who screwed him and switch to the competition but it would probably sue (in some countries :) ).

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 8 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Crucial MX100 SATA 2.5 SSD
Display(s) Lenovo ThinkVision 27" (LEN P27h-10)
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
I disagree, if the average customer NEEDED a new PC and bought one, only to find out it had the same performance or it overheated the same. I think not only the customer would try to find out who screwed him and switch to the competition but it would probably sue (in some countries :) ).

How can the average consumer, whom is struggling to pay their bills afford a lawyer? How is the consumers 1 lawyer going to fight off Intel's team of lawyers?

Same performance? The average customer probably upgrades once every 4-5 years, the performance will never be the same. The customers whom are contemplating upgrading to Ivy Bridge are most likely going to be coming from a Core 2 Solo/Dual or Pentium D so same performance won't ever happen.

Overheating? When does the average customer care about heat? As long as it browses the internet and Facebook works they are happy. I cannot see the average consumer poking in the bios and downloading Speed Fan to monitor their temperature.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Thats so unrealistic. Most consumers are absolutely giddy with the performance a ram upgrade yields on an old system. The difference in the same system and a fresh OS will make 90% of users cream their drawers. :shadedshu

JKnows

Not sure if i'm a fool, but i'm actually going to wait to see how Piledriver is before I make the leap to intel.

Have been a loyal AMD fan for quite some time, but enough is enough. If Piledriver doesn't deliver, Hello Intel.

Piledriver sucks like Bulldozer, but do not worry because Radeon IGP will make up Trinity! You won't feel any CPU performance difference between Intel vs AMD in general, but when you start gaming you will feel significant performance boost over Intel.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Piledriver sucks like Bulldozer, but do not worry because Radeon IGP will make up Trinity! You won't feel any CPU performance difference between Intel vs AMD in general, but when you start gaming you will feel significant performance boost over Intel.

You got a Piledriver, excellent where can I buy it from? You must have the hookup, you are able to obtain hardware months before its release!!! WOW.

Halk

System Name Desktop PC
Processor 1090T
Motherboard Crosshair IV Forumula
Cooling Arctic Freezer 7 pro
Memory 4x2GB OCZ Reaper
Video Card(s) DirectCU 580
Storage Vertex 2 120GB
Display(s) Dell 24 inch
Case Fractal Design R3
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Seasonic X 650
Software Win 7 Home Premium x64
Remember its the MOBILE segment that is delayed.

IB-E will be on a very expensive platform to begin with... sounds a bit counter intuitive to me to try to compete in the price /performance with their enthusiast level platform. It would make more sense to have lower end IB chips on a platform that costs less to jump in to. ;)

They of course don't want to do this, but they will if they have to, which would be in the (based on where things are now) unlikely event that AMD pulls something out of the bag and Piledriver is a great chip.

Intel will want to be producing with as high margins as possible, that means they won't go balls out for processing power, instead they'll optimise things for different objectives. The advantage they have over AMD is that they can release more performance by pushing the TDP if they have to.

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x8GB Kingston Beast Series DDR3 2133MHz CL11
Video Card(s) Asus STRIX-GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
Storage Kingston HyperX 3K, 120GB
Display(s) AOC 2269WM
Audio Device(s) Behringer UCA202 USB
Power Supply Seasonic G Series 550W
Software Win 7 x64
How can the average consumer, whom is struggling to pay their bills afford a lawyer? How is the consumers 1 lawyer going to fight off Intel's team of lawyers?

Same performance? The average customer probably upgrades once every 4-5 years, the performance will never be the same. The customers whom are contemplating upgrading to Ivy Bridge are most likely going to be coming from a Core 2 Solo/Dual or Pentium D so same performance won't ever happen.

Overheating? When does the average customer care about heat? As long as it browses the internet and Facebook works they are happy. I cannot see the average consumer poking in the bios and downloading Speed Fan to monitor their temperature.

It depends on what "average customer" we are talking about. If it's like you say, upgrading form a 4-5 year old computer, then the performance jump would be enormous.

If the "average customer" was a gamer liking laptops then he would upgrade his laptop to play the latest games and observed the performance difference and eventual heat problems. I know GPU is much more important than CPU for games but let's assume this gamer does not got for the top i7, he goes for a i3 or low i5. As for the memory i see no drastic increases in quantity of preinstalled memory in laptops, it's at the 2-3gb mark for some time now.

Someone could argue that that is a enthusiast, well i know "average users" who go for performance without a real reason and i know "average users" that don't afford getting a pc every 4-5 years.

I think there is a long discussion here about what makes a customer average, is it the knowledge about PC's, is it the requirement for performance or it is the amount of money he wants to spend on a pc. I't is hard for me to asses that because i'm not in the position of being an "average user" and probably the same applies to all the forum members. :)

Forrest Gump said:
And that's all I have to say about that.

System Name MyMonster
Processor Ryzen 3600x
Motherboard Asus Rog Strix X570-e gaming
Cooling Deepcool castle 240 rgb
Memory 32GB TeamGroup DARK Zα 3600
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 2060 12GB OC
Storage 500GB XPG SX8200 Pro PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280, 2x WD Black 1TB, External 8TB Seagate USB 3
Display(s) Acer Nitro 27" HDR 165hz 1080p, Sanyo 55" HDR 4K HDTV
Case Lian Li Rog Certified PC-011D XL
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster ZX, HyperX Cloud II headphones
Power Supply Corsair HX750i
Mouse Logitech G902 Lightspeed, Powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Win11 X64 and stuff
Dude I've been fixing "normal people" computers for 15 years, your ideas on average users are deluded. Even gamers. They don't know shit about their computers. Unless someone told them it generates heat, most aren't even aware it does man.
Seriously, the LARGE majority of society are 100% tech STUPID!

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Forget brand loyalty - AMD are not going to knock on your door and throw you a suprise party or give you free stuff because you are a loyal fan.

Go where the best bang for buck is and your wallet will thank you for it.

That's complete and utter crap!!!!

and I agree..... I was a diehard AMD for years, and had to turn my back on them because of their abysmal BD performance. It was a decent processor, at a decent price, but not the scream machine we'd been looking for. She's right. Grab an Intel for the powerhouse it is, stay away from the toppest of the top, and save yourself a grand or two, but go intel.... in shame....

Last edited:
System Name My baby
Even gamers. They don't know shit about their computers. Unless someone told them it generates heat, most aren't even aware it does man.
Seriously, the LARGE majority of society are 100% tech STUPID!

I 100% agree. Alienware wouldnt exist if gamers knew about the internals of their rig in detail.

JKnows

You got a Piledriver, excellent where can I buy it from? You must have the hookup, you are able to obtain hardware months before its release!!! WOW.

I cannot give you details from where, but do not hope more than 5% performance increase over Bulldozer, which still significantly less than IVY. But the GPU part is different taste:pimp:.

Halk

System Name Desktop PC
Processor 1090T
Motherboard Crosshair IV Forumula
Cooling Arctic Freezer 7 pro
Memory 4x2GB OCZ Reaper
Video Card(s) DirectCU 580
Storage Vertex 2 120GB
Display(s) Dell 24 inch
Case Fractal Design R3
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Seasonic X 650
Software Win 7 Home Premium x64
I'm afraid to say that no matter how pessimistic over Piledriver someone is, a 5% performance increase is nonsense. A 5% performance increase could be achieved with just production efficiencies.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I cannot give you details from where, but do not hope more than 5% performance increase over Bulldozer, which still significantly less than IVY. But the GPU part is different taste:pimp:.

Must be friends with JP_AMD