• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Using existing Cat5e wiring in new home? how to network it?

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
i also agree with dir_d on puting the router before the switch. always do this so you have some sort of firewall between you and the internet.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Yep both DIR_D and Athlon are spot on.

It should go as said, Modem>Router>Switch>Wireless Access point (if used)

The router will hold you DHCP Pool and will be your firewall between your private network and the world.

Guttboy

System Name First Build 2009
Processor Intel E8400 (E0) 3.0GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Cooling Xigmatek HDT S1283 (120mm)
Memory G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX260
Storage WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm 32MB SATA
Display(s) LG W2600H-PF 25.5" (1920x1200)
Case Cooler Master CM690
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit
You guys ROCK!!!!

Ok so I went to Home Depot and picked up the Sperry Lan/Phone Wire Tracker and it is working like a charm thus far. I have checked all the existing jacks and have them labeled! Still have some bare Cat5e that is run through the house to the homerun area and am now looking for them.

I also installed a few Jacks and am double checking them now.

Good thing I already have crimping tools and connectors/jacks. The folks that butchered this system did some sort of weird connections having two sets of Cat5e running to one connection. Odd why they did this but it is fixed.

I also noted that in the Utility room where the home run is....they must have had multiple people working at different times on this as the wire ends were TOAST...many nicks where they must have swapped one line for the next....UGHHHHHHH

I trimmed all of the ends and they are squeaky clean now!

Will keep you all updated~!

And yes I always run Modem--->Router--->switch--->Devices

Never had a switch so that will come soon.

Plan is to move the modem and router downstairs and since I only need 3 extra lines the router will do fine. When I expand and upgrade in the next week or so then I will add the switch!

:)

Guttboy

Case Cooler Master CM690
How the heck did they do this?

Slight snag in the process right now....:(

Nothing that can't be solved though! :)

I am not entirely certain how the phone company hooked up the DSL into the house. It appears as though they took the blue/blue white wires and hooked them to the phone expansion plugs. They also took the Brown/Brown white wires to the line going up to the jack in the office that connects to the DSL modem.

I am trying to figure out how to move the modem downstairs but right now it is eluding me. If the wires were traceable or I could tug on them I might be in business....trying to figure that out now.

EDIT:

Ok....here is a picture of how the telephone connected the line.

I am assuming that the Blue and Blue white lines that go into the Square D phone junction are for telephone. The Brown/Brown-white lines I am unsure of....at the computer where the modem is connected I have the blue/blue-white lines and ORANGE/Orange-white lines going into the jack?

I have full internet capability so I am unclear why the Brown/Brown-white lines are connected?

Any thoughts?

I am making an assumption that the circular connectors are DSL filters or am I mistaken?

Attachments

• DSL.jpg
    DSL.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64
I hate how sloppy the phone company is, there was no need for that. They bonded Blue with Brown and White/Blue with White/Brown. If you have extra room on your patch panel you can punch down the incoming Blue and White/Blue and label it DSL. Then on the Brown White/Brown patch panel there in the picture punch it down and run a cat 5e patch cord from the DSL incoming port to the modem port. If you dont have the room just leave it alone. It looks sloppy but it works.

Guttboy

Case Cooler Master CM690
Thanks folks....

Still working out the kinks....LOL....I have the lines run and am going to leave the sloppy phone company wiring alone for the moment.

Been trying to figure out how to get the leftover Linksys routers (each has a 4 port switch) working. Having the damndest time trying to get "into" them via the HTTP address....it MAY be an issue with my laptop as it has seen better days and is working on a HDD that is on it's last legs...LOL

I am going to hook up an old PC that I made a few years back and use that as the test bed.

Wish me luck!

EDIT: FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!

The problem was with the laptop....it is about ready to be relegated to the collection of misc computer parts I have had since almost the *cough* TRS-80 4k color computer...:laugh:

I was able to get into the Linksys BEFSR41 and can adjust the settings on it now. I also have a spare Linksys WRT54G that I was able to get into as well.....boy that was fun :)

Now....I am going to try to still make this work with either of the Linksys routers because I am learning a TON in a short amt of time and enjoying the "tinkering" aspects of this.

While I am playing with this I will post another thread on how to PROPERLY set up this system based on the sound advice from here at TPU.

I will be soliciting advice on hardware and design shortly....

Thanks so much for the help and I certainly appreciate you all "walking me" through this process and letting me know that these things can be done.

You folks ROCK!

:rockout:

Last edited:

Guttboy

Case Cooler Master CM690
NICE JOB BRANDON!!!!!!! She is a beauty!