• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Radeon HD 7970 Lightning Overclocked to 1800 MHz Core, 7.70 GHz Memory

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
I'd do that only problem is i dont have a dime right now.

Ill be building a rig later this year, Probably a Refresh of the 7 series inside

Yes yes yes....but can it play Crysis...oh wait that was 5 years ago lol. This is neat, but id probably burn my face off with LN lol.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
There you go, added picture of Elmor's beast.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
That's great. Not everyone holds the same opinion as you, and just because you do not agree, doesn't make you or them right either. The fact that people don't agree on the subject should point you to how niche it really is. It's not like everyone here is rocking the latest greatest, so clearly not everyone has uses for this sort of stuff. Majority here doesn't even have current-gen VGAs, CPUs, or anything else.

My point was more this seems to be only a computer thing. Anytime I watch videos or hear about these insane cars, I don't hear people saying anything about it not being a daily driver. Just kind of puzzling as theres a lot more gear heads out there than there is tech heads, and with the larger audience they still seem to have an understanding of what a world record means. I'm not saying others aren't allowed their opinions, I'm just putting the reasoning out there behind mine. Like I said earlier, discounting this is like opening up a Guinness and discounting it all because everyone can't accomplish those goals.

By the same reasoning, not everyones hardware is current like you said. So we shouldn't post news about new products as it doesn't effect most of the readers here. News is news, if I see a headline that doesn't interest me, I move on, I don't pop in to complain about it usually, and it seems all too common that others do. People are just too negative these days.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
+1 ^^.

But they get paid to post news... and on top of that, it creates controversy as it has little to do with the demographic, which creates posts, which create more page views which creates more money for the site.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Point taken, 1Kurgan1. Personally I see it as feedback towards a lack of marketing directly to "average" users, who are the majority. Your analogy about gearheads might be apt though, altohugh I think there's a bit more brand loyalty i nthe PC market, as nearly every segment, as I said before is highly polarized. It's Intel, or AMD; nVidia, or AMD; LN2 clocking, or not. :laugh: It's not negativity, it's fanboyism, which is WAAY more eveident in the PC market.

Nice to see that elmor used an MSI motherboard too! Thanks for adding the pic BTA.

which create more page views which creates more money for the site.

Traffic is good, but I don't think traffic really relates to more money here...there's no ads in the forum. ;)

Point taken, 1Kurgan1. Personally I see it as feedback towards a lack of marketing directly to "average" users, who are the majority. Your analogy about gearheads might be apt though, altohugh I think there's a bit more brand loyalty i nthe PC market, as nearly every segment, as I said before is highly polarized. It's Intel, or AMD; nVidia, or AMD; LN2 clocking, or not. :laugh: It's not negativity, it's fanboyism, which is WAAY more eveident in the PC market.

Nice to see that elmor used an MSI motherboard too! Thanks for adding the pic BTA.

Traffic is good, but I don't think traffic really relates to more money here...there's no ads in the forum. ;)
News articles are on the front page, people look at them through the forums if they dont land on the front page first............which = front page views = Moneh or more advertisers due to page hits, alexa ranks, etc. ;)

And there are PLENTY of gear heads with brand loyalty/fanboyisn.. I used to be one when I had time... though I was a 'ricer'. Plenty of Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Honda people around and trust me, they are just as loyal as the PC industry.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
And there are PLENTY of gear heads with brand loyalty/fanboyisn.. I used to be one when I had time... though I was a 'ricer'. Plenty of Chevy, Ford, Dodge, Honda people around and trust me, they are just as loyal as the PC industry.

Sure, but in cars, there are more brand options.

System Name Old Damned Rigs!
Processor AMD Phenom X4 9850 BE 2.5GHz
Motherboard MSI K9A2-CF
Memory 2 x 2GB DDR2 PC8500
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce 9800GT
Storage Hitachi 250GB Sata-II
Display(s) Chimnei 22" LCD Wide
Case Powerlogic Modena GTX2500
Power Supply Amacrox Warrior 400w
Software Windows XP Professional SP3
30% increase w/ air cooling is absolutely amazing, you can beat 6990 or even 6970 on crossfire.

i dont get a it, if there's someone who wants to try using LN2 setup for 24/7? who wants to pouring LN2 every 5 - 10 seconds for 24/7? that guy must be an idiot..

if it's true (it seems to be..) that 100Mhz clock increase on 7970 would bring 10% faster performance, try to get watercooling. maybe you can push it to 1,4k or even 1,5k. that's 50% faster than regular 7970 and barely match 580 SLI. and also with watercooling, you surely can run it 24/7 since it's much more convenient than LN2 setup..

Sure, but in cars, there are more brand options.
Whats that have to do with the price of rice in China? :slap:

The blatently obvious point was that there are fanboy's with cars too ;). Doesnt matter if there are 10 brands or two, they are fanboys and are just as loyal even with MORE choices further supporting my point.

i dont get a it, if there's someone who wants to try using LN2 setup for 24/7? who wants to pouring LN2 every 5 - 10 seconds for 24/7? that guy must be an idiot..
LN2 is not a 24/7 solution...it was never intended to be. Its for benchmarking for a couple hours at a time. Those idiots do not exist.

Back on topic, I still didnt see that reactor core in the screenshot... was it used?

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave

The blatently obvious point was that there are fanboy's with cars too. ;)

Just like it's blatantly obvious that those that aren't into LN2 are gonna comment and say they don't care.

ANd now that we've come full circle, let's move on. :laugh:

I wanna see more pics of these cards running, and more benches, hopefully showing what the GPU Reactor adds, if anything, to daily running, whether it be one water or air.

Just like it's blatantly obvious that those that aren't into LN2 are gonna comment and say they don't care.
Preaching to the chior. That was Kurgan(?) making that point... not me. :)

EDIT: I bet Neliz knows if the reactor was on there....

System Name Old Damned Rigs!
Processor AMD Phenom X4 9850 BE 2.5GHz
Motherboard MSI K9A2-CF
Memory 2 x 2GB DDR2 PC8500
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce 9800GT
Storage Hitachi 250GB Sata-II
Display(s) Chimnei 22" LCD Wide
Case Powerlogic Modena GTX2500
Power Supply Amacrox Warrior 400w
Software Windows XP Professional SP3

The blatently obvious point was that there are fanboy's with cars too ;). Doesnt matter if there are 10 brands or two, they are fanboys and are just as loyal even with MORE choices further supporting my point.

LN2 is not a 24/7 solution...it was never intended to be. Its for benchmarking for a couple hours at a time. Those idiots do not exist.

Back on topic, I still didnt see that reactor core in the screenshot... was it used?

wanting to achieve that clocks for 24/7, maybe (or surely) none of those idi*ts were exist. i'm just pointing at some people who *prefering* to be like that..

Last edited:
System Name m1dg3t | DeathBox | HairPi 3
Processor 3570k @ 4.0 1.15v BIOS | q9550 @ 3.77 1.325v BIOS
Motherboard Asrock z77e iTX | p5q Dlx 2301 BIOS
Cooling Custom Water | D-14 & HR-03gt | Passive HSF
Memory Samsung MV-3V4G3D 4g x 2 @ 1866 1.35v | OcZ RpR 2g x 4 @ 1067 2.2v
Video Card(s) MSi 7950 tf3 @1000 / 1350 | Asus 5870 V2 @ 900 / 1275
Storage Adata sx900 256Gb / WD 2500 HHTZ | WD 1001 FALS x 2
Display(s) BenQ gw2750hm | 46" Sharp Quatron
Case BitFenix Prodigy - m0dd3d | Antec Fusion Remote MAX
Audio Device(s) Onboard Toslink > Yamaha HTR 6290 | Xonar HDAV1.3 > Yamaha DSP z7
Power Supply Ocz mXp700w | Ocz zx850w | Cannakit 5v 2.5a
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G9x - Cable Repaired
Keyboard TT Meka G1 - Black w Cherry Blacks| Logitech G11
Software Win7 Home | Xp sp3 & Vista ultimate | Raspbian
Benchmark Scores Epeen!! Who needs epeen??

I don't really care about LN2 or benching myself for that matter but as i mentioned earlier i still like to see people pushing hardware to the max! :rockout:

ANd now that we've come full circle, let's move on. :laugh:

I wanna see more pics of these cards running, and more benches, hopefully showing what the GPU Reactor adds, if anything, to daily running, whether it be one water or air.

+1

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Found some pics(credit goes to OC_Windforce):

Looks like VRM LEDs indicate loading, nice, gonna match well with MSI board LEDs and Corsair AirFLOW PRO:eek::

Nice touch addng an extended Crossfire bridge in the box rather than one of the shorter ones, too. The more I see of this card, the more I want it. Dammit:banghead: :laugh:

Last edited:
Its so sexy....

Im not one for bling, but this does look cool.

I still wish, for the extreme benching crowd, we can know if that GPU reactor fits with a GPU pot...I hate to say it, but if it cant (and didnt for Elmore's run), kind of shows its not really needed if even on DI/LN2 you are hitting 1800Mhz...

Last edited:
Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
I'd be tempted to chill bananas and break them on a desk with LN2 :D, anyway it's not safe to keep such thing because of Jason X :roll:

Awesome clocks, this feat mustn't make you think of anything else other than the marvelous engineering put on this card PCB, this is what I get out of WRs, more than scores alone :)

On another note: MSI please make a Lightning edition of the upcoming HD 7990, dual GPUs need more love.

naram-sin

System Name Valkyrie II
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Motherboard Asus M5A97 PRO
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
Memory 2 * 4GB CMX8GX3M2A2000C9
Video Card(s) nVidia GTX460 768 MB
Storage 1*WD1500HLFS + 1*WD10EARS + 2*WD20EARS RAID1
Display(s) Xerox 24"
Case Cooler Master HAF932
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC885 8ch
Power Supply Chieftex 650W modular
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
For the largest part I agree with you, but at 1800 core I'm a little more interested, it says something about potential 24/7 clocks...sort of, if those clocks come close to scaling w/ temp fairly well.

Meaning you'll settle nicely with I dunno... 1500 MHz @ -70°C? :D Just joking... who knows, someday, maybe in a retirement home, we'll make do with 2GHz GPU under stock cooling...:cool:

Actually, I just can't wait to see this compared to 680 :D

Its so sexy....

Im not one for bling, but this does look cool.

I still wish, for the extreme benching crowd, we can know if that GPU reactor fits with a GPU pot...I hate to say it, but if it cant (and didnt for Elmore's run), kind of shows its not really needed if even on DI/LN2 you are hitting 1800Mhz...

GPU Reactor is installed with LN2, just use paper tissues on the back against condensation, you can easily push the pins through the paper.

first-hand experience.