• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HyperSLI (Enabling SLI on non-sli motherboards)

joshtb86

need help with set up!

hello everyone! just set up my cards (2x 550 ti) and the hypersli .8 is working but i need some help with set up.

my specs are -
gigabyte z68ap d3 mobo
i5 2500k stock frequencies
12 gb 1333 patriot gamer 2
80 ggb intel 320 ssd
500 gb wd 7200 rpm 6gb/s
2 x zotac 550 ti
corsair cs 600w

i do NOT have an SLI bridge yet - it should arrive in a couple of days. i installed hyperSLI as noted in the 1st post and it installed and ran fine - and i noticed a modest improvement in performance (25% - not what expected).

im running the beta 300 drivers from nvidia. all other drivers for everything and bios mobo is uptodate.

i am not home so i cant post cpuz or gpuz yet. i can afterwards.

when i goto NVIDIA control panel - it does not give SLI as an option - it says that it is disabled, but lets me pick a GPU for physx off-loading. it also gives me an error message for the SLI bridge not being present.

i also use nvidia inspector - which also has choices for SLI.

questions -
what settings should i be picking for the nvidia inspector per game? specifically for bf3 and for skyrim?
why is the nvidia control panel not giving SLI as an option?
should i install the EVGA SLI patch?

thanks in advance for everyones help!

Yimmeryams

System Name Scoots
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @3.2GHz (Auto)
Motherboard NB: AMD 890FX + SB: AMD SB850 (Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 2.0)
Cooling Air (ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa CPU Cooler)
Memory 8GB (4x2GB) @1333 (G.SKILL ECO Series 2GB CL7D-4GBECO)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 460 1GB, x2 SLI (Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum 1GB + MSI Hawk GeForce GTX 460 1GB)
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 7200 RPM WD1501FASS
Display(s) [1680x1050][1920x1080] (Primary: ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 16:9 + Secondary: HP w2207 16:10)
Case COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP
Power Supply COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
Software Win7 x64 (Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601))
Benchmark Scores Heaven Benchmark v2.5 Basic: 1578; DX11, 1920x1080, Fullscreen, High, Tess Normal
what settings should i be picking for the nvidia inspector per game? specifically for bf3 and for skyrim?
For me, I use the normal Nvidia Control Panel for choosing my settings and only use Inspector if I need to fine tune something; there are a lot of settings in the Control Panel that influence multiple categories in Inspector.

For Skyrim, I turn on Ambient Occlusion (Performance) (In the NCP), set pre-rendered frames to 8 (personal preference) (NI), and (I think) force SLI to SFR (Split-Frame Rendering) (NI).

I also use EVGA Precision X to set the framerate limit to 58, use D3DOverrider to force Triple Buffering, and in the NCP set Triple Buffering to On and AA Transparency to 2x (supersample).

why is the nvidia control panel not giving SLI as an option?
You can't select SLI because you do not have an SLI bridge installed.

should i install the EVGA SLI patch?

I'm assuming you're talking about this: http://www.evga.com/articles/00463/

If that's what you're talking about, the only reason you would need or want to install those drivers is if you play the games the patch adds support for. So, if you are playing those games, sure, go for it.

If you are using a different driver version, or perhaps even a modded driver, you are going to want to keep in mind that there can be incompatibilities or glitches. It could work with older, and maybe newer, drivers, but there's no telling how well.

Last edited:

joshtb86

For me, I use the normal Nvidia Control Panel for choosing my settings and only use Inspector if I need to fine tune something; there are a lot of settings in the Control Panel that influence multiple categories in Inspector.

For Skyrim, I turn on Ambient Occlusion (Performance) (In the NCP), set pre-rendered frames to 8 (personal preference) (NI), and (I think) force SLI to SFR (Split-Frame Rendering) (NI).

I also use EVGA Precision X to set the framerate limit to 58, use D3DOverrider to force Triple Buffering, and in the NCP set Triple Buffering to On and AA Transparency to 2x (supersample).

You can't select SLI because you do not have an SLI bridge installed.

I'm assuming you're talking about this: http://www.evga.com/articles/00463/

If that's what you're talking about, the only reason you would need or want to install those drivers is if you play the games the patch adds support for. So, if you are playing those games, sure, go for it.

If you are using a different driver version, or perhaps even a modded driver, you are going to want to keep in mind that there can be incompatibilities or glitches. It could work with older, and maybe newer, drivers, but there's no telling how well.

thjanks for your help! i feel like an idiot because i used to do this, but where do i adjust settings in the nvidia control panel for games.

joshtb86

is there anyway to enable it to autoboot into hybridsli without having to select it every time the computer boots up? that means i physically have to sit and wait for computer to boot so i can select it

joshtb86

also, does anyone else use nuance dragon naturally speak voice dictation? i get a "serious error" when i use hyperSLI boot and cannot use the program at all. tech support on their side has no solutions for me. has anyone else experienced this?

tonpayxixius

Dragon Nuance

also, does anyone else use nuance dragon naturally speak voice dictation? i get a "serious error" when i use hyperSLI boot and cannot use the program at all. tech support on their side has no solutions for me. has anyone else experienced this?

Hey Joshtb86,

If you could provide me with a little more information about the exact version of the Nuance software you are running? It does not surprise me that there technical support is unable to address the issue. They are phenomenal with there software but invest almost no resources in hardware compatibility issues. I do have extensive experience with most versions of the Dragon speech software and will do everything in my power to assist you.

FabioMC

Nobody even answered my question. Is or isn't possible to help me here ?

Yimmeryams

System Name Scoots
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @3.2GHz (Auto)
Motherboard NB: AMD 890FX + SB: AMD SB850 (Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 2.0)
Cooling Air (ZALMAN CNPS10X Performa CPU Cooler)
Memory 8GB (4x2GB) @1333 (G.SKILL ECO Series 2GB CL7D-4GBECO)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX 460 1GB, x2 SLI (Palit GeForce GTX 460 Sonic Platinum 1GB + MSI Hawk GeForce GTX 460 1GB)
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 7200 RPM WD1501FASS
Display(s) [1680x1050][1920x1080] (Primary: ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 16:9 + Secondary: HP w2207 16:10)
Case COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP
Power Supply COOLER MASTER GX Series RS750-ACAAE3-US 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified
Software Win7 x64 (Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601))
Benchmark Scores Heaven Benchmark v2.5 Basic: 1578; DX11, 1920x1080, Fullscreen, High, Tess Normal
Hi guys,

I'm having problems with CROSSHAIR IV + 560ti SLI + HyperSLI 0.8 and 301.24 drivers. One of the adapters fails (error code 43). I tried clean install, wiping everything (driver cleaner and driversweeper) but with no luck. I tried in two different win7 x64 installations. When I revert the adapter to 296.10 everything works. Any help ?

Thanks.
What adapter? When? Too vague for me to know what you're talking about.

When do you get the error code? When you're upgrading your Nvidia drivers, or applying HyperSLI?

Have you checked the Nvidia forums to see if it's a problem with the actual beta drivers and not something with SLI?

joshtb86

Hey Joshtb86,

If you could provide me with a little more information about the exact version of the Nuance software you are running? It does not surprise me that there technical support is unable to address the issue. They are phenomenal with there software but invest almost no resources in hardware compatibility issues. I do have extensive experience with most versions of the Dragon speech software and will do everything in my power to assist you.

im running dragon naturally speaking 11.5 on my w7 premium 64 bit. i booted into the non-hyperSLI windows and it works without a problem. everytime i open it in the hypersli i get an error stating
"a serious error has occurred. please reinstall the program to fix the problem" 3+ reinstalls with noa vail. deleted the user profile and that didnt work either. its not running in compatibility mode (their "fix" to turn that off, even though it was off already) and didnt work ran as administrator either.

thanks!

joshtb86

also, every other time i boot into hyperSLI, after the loading windows screen, my monitors turn off and nothing loads. rebooting fixes it, but it happens every other time. anyone else experience this?

WqYn3

System Name Intel
Processor core i5 2500k
Motherboard ga p67s-ud3-b3 rev1.1
Cooling h60
Memory kingston hyperX 16gb
Video Card(s) gtx570hd and 550Ti
Storage 1tb hdd
Display(s) samsung syncmaster px2370 and T220
Case Raidmax
Power Supply corsair gs700
Software Win7

joshtb86

played a game today with hyperSLI but no SLI bridge (its in the mail). i have nvidia control panel set to use GPU 2 as dedicated physx. after game was ended, i checked the usage on both cards, and none of the clocks, memery or anything on card 2 was in usage during the game. is this normal? i shouldnt expect anything to bump if its computing CUDA?

WqYn3

System Name Intel
Processor core i5 2500k
Motherboard ga p67s-ud3-b3 rev1.1
Cooling h60
Memory kingston hyperX 16gb
Video Card(s) gtx570hd and 550Ti
Storage 1tb hdd
Display(s) samsung syncmaster px2370 and T220
Case Raidmax
Power Supply corsair gs700
Software Win7
You aren't in sli. The 2nd card is dedicated physx and that game prolly doesn't have a use for it?

Mordecai Walfish

im running dragon naturally speaking 11.5 on my w7 premium 64 bit. i booted into the non-hyperSLI windows and it works without a problem. everytime i open it in the hypersli i get an error stating
"a serious error has occurred. please reinstall the program to fix the problem" 3+ reinstalls with noa vail. deleted the user profile and that didnt work either. its not running in compatibility mode (their "fix" to turn that off, even though it was off already) and didnt work ran as administrator either.

thanks!

In Nvidia control panel, if you have your system set to "single card" mode while Hyper-SLI is enabled, does the Dragon Naturally Speaking run successfully?

Mordecai Walfish

have you looked around the nvidia control panel? It's the same screen that you set SLI/Physx.

Instead of SLI, set it to use single video card and see if the program works.

joshtb86

have you looked around the nvidia control panel? It's the same screen that you set SLI/Physx.

Instead of SLI, set it to use single video card and see if the program works.

thats on the screen where i click disable SLI, correct? with SLi disabled and physx set to my 1st gpu, still doesnt work.

Last edited:

Mordecai Walfish

thats on the screen where i click disable SLI, correct? with SLi disabled and physx set to my 1st gpu, still doesnt work.

leave the physx stuff on auto, if you didn't before, and see if 1 card works

just trying to see if its possible to set up a 1 card profile for just that program, but that would require it working properly with only 1 card enabled in the first place which is why you are testing these ^_^

joshtb86

leave the physx stuff on auto, if you didn't before, and see if 1 card works

just trying to see if its possible to set up a 1 card profile for just that program, but that would require it working properly with only 1 card enabled in the first place which is why you are testing these ^_^

yup. still doesnt work.

Mordecai Walfish

yup. still doesnt work.

Well that, in combination with this:

also, every other time i boot into hyperSLI, after the loading windows screen, my monitors turn off and nothing loads. rebooting fixes it, but it happens every other time. anyone else experience this?

makes me suspect your problem with Dragon Naturally Speaking isn't simply SLI compatibility issues.

Maybe try a combination of older drivers/hyperSLI and see how you fare. First make sure you cleanly remove your previous drivers (look it up if you dont know how) and then give it a whack. 280 - 295 drivers did well with HyperSLI 0.7, and 275 drivers did well with HyperSLI 0.6 IIRC