• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Revolutionizes Design and Performance with New Line of Precision Workstations

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Dell's newly redesigned portfolio of Dell Precision tower workstations announced today delivers superb performance, accessibility and best-in-class¹ chassis design to help creative and design professionals deliver results faster. Dell engineered its tower workstations to enable engineering, product design, animation, and other graphics and compute intensive professionals increased productivity and minimized downtime so they can focus on their innovations.

From creating the 854 stereo 3D VFX shots featured in the award-winning movie "Hugo" to designing unique architectural spaces to analyzing seismic data to accelerate exploration of natural reserves, companies around the world rely on Dell Precision workstations to design and deliver superb results fast.

"Dell Precision workstations are the number one recommendation I've made to other visual effects professionals over the years. We need cutting-edge technology and performance while working tough deadlines," said Adam Watkins, Computer Graphics Supervisor, Pixomondo. "I have been delighted -- and sometimes saved -- by every Dell workstation I've ever used for more than 20 shows! It's one technology that I know I can consistently count on and I'm looking forward to the new design and performance of Dell's new workstations."

Innovative Design with a Purpose
Dell solicited input from hundreds of the top engineering, finance, software development, scientific, and media & entertainment companies to design the new chassis. This user feedback and testing drove the development of a sleek and efficient award-winning design with a re-organized interior and easier access to important components. The interior separates areas more commonly accessed by users, such as memory and hard drives, from more service accessed components, such as wiring harnesses and fans, thereby simplifying tasks and greatly reducing time required for service or upgrades. Additional innovations built into the new workstation family include:
  • Externally Removable Power Supply - Dell is offering the industry's only tool-less externally removable power supply on a mainstream tower workstation². The power supply is lockable and has a built-in handle that lights up green when functioning properly which decreases downtime spent detecting and servicing issues.
  • Front Accessible Hard Drives - The new efficient chassis design on the T7600 provides one of the only front accessible quick release hard drives on a tower workstation. Designed for customers in data intensive fields like video editing who need to swap out hard drives easily and military and research organizations who need to store sensitive data in a secure location at the end of the day, it comes with up to four 3.5-inch hard drives or eight 2.5-inch hard drives.
  • Remote Access - The Dell Precision T7600 easily converts to a rack solution, which can be mounted to any standard Dell PowerEdge server rack. By centrally locating the workstations, businesses can help maintain a clean and quiet work environment, keep hardware safe and give remote workers access via a Dell Precision FX100 zero client.
  • Reliable Memory Technology - Another industry first is Reliable Memory Technology (RMT), a Dell patented code programmed at the BIOS level that eliminates virtually all memory errors on high-end workstations. RMT extends the capability of ECC memory by detecting the location of the corrected memory error and prevents the system from writing to that spot again following a reboot. Available on the T3600³, T5600 and T7600, RMT increases the reliability of the workstations and eliminates the need for extensive full memory tests, IT support calls and memory DIMM replacement.
This purpose driven innovation really pays off for our workstation customers. TACKLEBOX Architecture has relied on Dell Precision workstations to create unique architectural spaces for fashion and retail businesses since opening its office in 2006. Founder Jeremy Barbour says, "Our design process relies heavily on 3D modeling and by leveraging Dell's powerful workstations we've been able to reduce our rendering time by 66 percent, from approximately 12 hours to 4 hours, enabling us to focus more energy on our creative work and deliver better projects on time and on budget."

Powerful New Line of Tower Workstations
Dell's new best-in-class workstations¹ feature powerful technology and higher performance from new Intel microarchitecture and eight core CPUs for multi-threaded applications; generation three PCIe I/O support for improved visualization performance with next generation graphics; and up to 512GB4 quad channel memory for running large data sets in memory. The new workstations offer NVIDIA Maximus technology, which enables simultaneous visualization and rendering or simulation, and also feature a broad range of professional-class graphics cards from AMD and NVIDIA including up to an AMD FirePro V7900 and NVIDIA Quadro 6000.

The new Dell tower workstation portfolio includes:
  • Dell Precision T7600 - Engineered for the utmost in compute and visualization performance, Dell's most powerful and expandable workstation is perfect for video, animation, engineering, simulation and financial and scientific analysis of massive data sets. The advanced architecture of the T7600 features one of the highest performing CPU stacks, power supplies and graphics power for a dual-socket system. It offers up to two Intel Xeon E5-2687W 150 watt processors with a total of 16 computational cores, a 1300 watt 90 percent efficiency power supply, up to 600 watts of graphics, and up to four full x16 graphics slots which can power up to an NVIDIA Quadro ultra high-end 6000 professional graphics card and two NVIDIA Tesla C2075 processors at the same time.
  • Dell Precision T5600 - Designed for space-constrained environments that need substantial compute capability, Dell's powerful and reliable dual-socket workstation is built for designing complex 3D models, creating film and video content and performing complex engineering and analysis work. It features up to two Intel Xeon processors each supporting eight processing cores, 128GB4 of quad-channel ECC memory, two power supply options of 635W or 825W and up to an NVIDIA Quadro 5000 high-end professional graphics card and NVIDIA Tesla C2075 processor.
  • Dell Precision T3600 - Built for performance for mid-range workstation workloads, Dell's single socket workstation offers an excellent balance of performance and scalability for mainstream 3D, computer-aided-design (CAD), computer-aided-manufacturing (CAM) and digital content creation applications. Key features include Intel Xeon processor E5-1600 or E5-2600 family, two power supply options, up to 64GB4 1600MHz ECC or non-ECC memory and up to a single NVIDIA Quadro 6000 or two NVIDIA Quadro 5000 professional graphics cards, and an NVIDIA Tesla C2075 processor.
  • Dell Precision T1650 - For demanding professional applications that push beyond a standard desktop, Dell's entry-level tower workstation offers certified performance for professionals working with 2D and basic 3D models, editing photos, CAD drawings and web development. The T1650 will feature next generation Intel Xeon processors, up to 75W for graphics and new ISV and graphic certifications.

Cutting-Edge Dependability & Manageability
Dell works with the industry leading software providers to certify the top digital content creation, scientific, medical imaging, oil and gas, GIS and engineering applications on its full line of workstations. These vendors run a variety of tests to ensure the hardware platform and its individual components work without error, assuring customers that their Dell workstation will operate flawlessly for their crucial applications. The new line of desktop workstations will offer certified applications from the top software providers including Autodesk, Dassault Systemes, PTC, Siemens PLM, Adobe, Avid, Grass Valley, Landmark, Schlumberger, ESRI, Barco and many others.

Creative and design professionals realize the importance of running their demanding software applications on a professional and ISV certified workstation. Marc Meadows, P.E., President of Meadows Analysis and Design, says, "We rely on Dell Precision workstations to run our 3D modeling and real-time analysis software to verify designs for our customers in oil and gas, water waste treatment, aerospace engineering and other industries. Since switching to Dell Precision workstations, we've experienced 12-fold faster 3D analysis and reduced a 19 hour simulation to 1.5 hours, enabling faster turnaround and improved accuracy."

Dell Precision workstations continue to lead in efficiency and low cost of ownership. The Dell Precision T3600, T5600 and T7600 workstations are all EPEAT and offer ENERGY STAR 5.2 configurations, including 80 PLUS Gold power supplies, helping to reduce the impact on the environment and operating energy costs.

Dell ensures digital assets are safe with state-of-the-art security services like Dell Data Protection | Encryption, which helps keeps data safe wherever it goes. The new tower workstations also provide optional Intel vPro technology, lockable ports and the Trusted Platform Module (TPM) that offers security for network-based client computing. Dell's optional ProSupport5 services provide end users and IT professionals with remote and on-site technical support solutions for all of their Dell and non-Dell hardware and software needs, allowing for simple deployment of new workstations and devices.

Pricing and Availability:
The Dell Precision T1650, T3600, T5600 and T7600 workstations will be available for purchase worldwide starting in May. Pricing for the T1650 will be available in May.
  • The Dell Precision T7600 pricing starts at $2,149 USD
  • The Dell Precision T5600 pricing starts at $1,879 USD
  • The Dell Precision T3600 pricing starts at $1,099 USD
For more information, visit this page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:

MeanBruce

System Name Maximus Obsidious "Max"
Processor Intel 3770K 4.5GHz 1.205volts Delta T=2.5C at idle
Motherboard Asus Maximus V Extreme
Cooling H100i Sanyo-Denki SanAce Type 9S 120(x6) at 750rpm
Memory Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz 2X4GB w/extended heat sink fins red
Video Card(s) Asus 6870 DirectCU (Asus 9970 Direct CU2 Coming Soon)
Storage Intel 520 120GB(x2) RAID0 Array 1.1GB/s read/write
Display(s) Samsung 970D (Coming Soon)
Case CaseLabs Magnum M8 w/XL window front I/O USB 3.0(x4) Lamptron FC10 nixie tube fan controller stock f
Power Supply Corsair Platinum AX860 (Seasonic) w/Corsair GEN2 AXi cables red
Software Windows 8 Pro 64-bit $39.99 download :):)
Hey hey look at that, my first pc was a Dell Precision with Windows XP; you could turn the Dell logo 90degrees and use the chassis either upright as a mini-tower or horizontal flat under your monitor. It came with a Seagate Cheetah 15000rpm SCSI drive (before ssds). I was buying parts twice a week from Performance PCS to get that thing to quiet down, nothing worked, wouldn’t take an aftermarket heatsink due to proprietary design, I just said forget this I am going to build my own, how hard can it be? They are powerful workstations but you would have to work in an airplane hangar to dissipate all that noise.

System Name Tiger1-Workstation
Processor Intel XEON E3-1275V2 / E3-1230V3
Motherboard ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 / AsRock H87 Performance
Cooling Corsair H80i Watercooling
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 780 Ti
Storage 2TB SSD(4X OCZ vertex 4 256GB LSI RAID0 + Crucial M550 1TB)
Display(s) 2x Dell U3011 30" IPS
Case Silverstone Raven 03
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX--> Xonar Essence One --> SPL Auditor -->Hivi X6
Power Supply Corsair AX860i Platinum
Software Windows 8.1 Enterprise
if you watch the video, its actually not half as bad as it seems.

(tho i do agree with above that if you are going to tinker around with it with aftermarket products, you are out of luck)

Huddo93

System Name Gaming Rig
Processor i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus Z77 Deluxe-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory RipjawsX 8GB @ 2133MHz 11-11-11-30
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX670 SC @ 1300MHz core
Storage OCZ Vertex 4 256GB + 1TB Samsung HDD
Display(s) 23" LG W2343T
Case Corsair 650D
Power Supply Corsiar AX-850
Pretty keen on just getting the case :p

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
monster system... I wonder if they are as heavy as the older models. The full sized precisions that we have feel like they are made out of depleted uranium.

D

Deleted member 24505

monster system... I wonder if they are as heavy as the older models. The full sized precisions that we have feel like they are made out of depleted uranium.

I'm using a converted to ATX dell XPS 720 case, and it does weigh a shite load.

Looks like ATX, surely Dell hasn't finally seen the light have they.

MeanBruce

System Name Maximus Obsidious "Max"
Processor Intel 3770K 4.5GHz 1.205volts Delta T=2.5C at idle
Motherboard Asus Maximus V Extreme
Cooling H100i Sanyo-Denki SanAce Type 9S 120(x6) at 750rpm
Memory Corsair Dominator GT 2133Mhz 2X4GB w/extended heat sink fins red
Video Card(s) Asus 6870 DirectCU (Asus 9970 Direct CU2 Coming Soon)
Storage Intel 520 120GB(x2) RAID0 Array 1.1GB/s read/write
Display(s) Samsung 970D (Coming Soon)
Case CaseLabs Magnum M8 w/XL window front I/O USB 3.0(x4) Lamptron FC10 nixie tube fan controller stock f
Power Supply Corsair Platinum AX860 (Seasonic) w/Corsair GEN2 AXi cables red
Software Windows 8 Pro 64-bit $39.99 download :):)
I'm using a converted to ATX dell XPS 720 case, and it does weigh a shite load.

haha, mine was the BTX design that never took off. I replaced the stock Delta fans with some orange Nexus quiet fans, remember those? I am sure Dell has gone to some lengths by now to quiet them down.

D

Deleted member 24505

haha, mine was the BTX design that never took off. I replaced the stock Delta fans with some orange Nexus quiet fans, remember those? I am sure Dell has gone to some lengths by now to quiet them down.

I've still got 2 of them 120x38mm monstrous deltas, i cant use them without a fan controller. The Dell psu is pretty good though.

System Name WAZAAM!
Processor AMD Ryzen 3900x
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Pro Gaming
Cooling Kraken x62
Memory G.Skill 16GB 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC
Storage Micron 9200 Max
Display(s) Samsung 49" 5120x1440 120hz
Case Corsair 600D
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Bose Companion 2 Speakers
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 Pro
The latest generation (Tx500 and the Tx600 from the article) are pretty quiet. There is still proprietary hardware but usually where it makes sense.

The PSUs are proprietary again but they're toolessly removable. When you have an environment with 50 - 100 of these keeping a couple PSUs on hand that you can change in a few minutes is worth more than having non-proprietary tech.

I also like that they're all rackmountable. A full rack of these would look darn pretty.

LOL, I somehow knew a overused buzzword like "revolutionize" was going to be in this PR-department-dripping announcement. They'll be using "amazing!" soon. (just like the infomercials)

Processor Intel Core i3-8100
Motherboard ASRock H370 Pro4
Cooling Cryorig M9i
Memory 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-2400
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WindForce OC 3GB
Storage Crucial MX500 512GB SSD
Display(s) Dell S2316M LCD
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Corsair CX600M
Mouse Logitech M500
Keyboard Lenovo KB1021 USB
Software Windows 10 Professional x64

The Dell OptiPlex 790's that we're getting at work are micro ATX and 99% standard parts (front panel connector and fan headers are still weird). :twitch: Apparently, someone at Dell got a clue that oddball parts are more expensive than standard parts.

Dell also seems to be having problems with premature rust issues (at least, if you live close to the ocean). All of my Dells (4 PC's in total) began rusting just a few months after purchase. After the 4th PC, I said: "never again".

System Name Sandfiller
Processor I5-10400
Motherboard MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Cooling Noctua NH-L9i (92x25mm fan)
Memory 32GB Corsair LPX 2400 Mhz DDR4 CL14
Video Card(s) MSI RX 5700 XT GAMING X
Storage Intel 670P 512GB
Display(s) 2560x1080 LG 29" + 22" LG
Case SS RV02
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Fractal Design IntegraM 650W
Mouse Logitech Triathlon
Keyboard REDRAGON MITRA
Software Windows 11 Home x 64
The "ocean issue" doesn't concern Dell only. I live by the sea (about 500meters from the water) and so far all the cases I have owned (if they are not painted), get a white salty layer on the metal. So I guess it's not only them.

System Name "I2I3 Overclocking Team"
Processor Phenom II x6 1090T 3.2
Motherboard ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Stoock
Memory G.SKILLl Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Geforce 9800gx2 EVGA
Storage Sansung 500GB
Display(s) LG
Case Box motherboard
Software Windows 7
Benchmark Scores Hunt3r
my first pc is dell opitplex gx280

one day a wiil buy server dell only acess via lan.