• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

eDRAM Memory Advance for Chips

error_f0rce

Processor Intel Core i7-930 (D0) @ 4.0GHz (1.28v)
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
Cooling CoolIT ECO-R120 Advanced Liquid Cooling w/ x2 Scythe ULTRA-KAZE 3000rpm | Scythe Master controller
Memory Mushkin Enhanced Redline - 6GB DDR3 @ 1910MHz 8-10-8-29
Video Card(s) MSI N460GTX Twin Frozr II SOC GeForce GTX 460 768MB 192-bit GDDR5
Storage RAID-0 w/ 2x OCZ Agility 2 SSD 90GB SATA II 3.5" (r4.6Gb/s w4.2Gb/s)
Display(s) ASUS VW266H - 26" LCD
Case COOLER MASTER Storm Scout | x2 120mm Scythe ULTRA-KAZE | 140mm Scythe Slipstream KAZE Maru2
Power Supply Thermaltake Black Widow TR2 RX - 850w
SAN JOSE, Calif. - IBM has devised a way to triple the amount of memory stored on computer chips and double the performance of data-hungry processors by replacing a problematic type of memory with a variety that uses much less space on the slice of silicon.

International Business Machines Corp. said Wednesday that its new memory technology will help unclog crippling bottlenecks that build up as increasingly powerful microprocessors attempt to retrieve data from a separate memory chip faster than it can be delivered.

Armonk, N.Y.-based IBM said its solution entails swapping out most of the static random access memory, or SRAM, used to store information directly on computer chips and integrating onto the chip another kind of memory, known as dynamic random access memory, or DRAM.

IBM said it has been able to speed up the DRAM to the point where it's nearly as fast as SRAM, and that the result is a type of memory known as embedded DRAM, or eDRAM, that helps boost the performance of chips with multiple core calculating engines and is particularly suited for enabling the movement of graphics in gaming and other multimedia applications.

FoxNews

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
More and more excitingly good news for us! YAY IBM!

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
YES... good news, & decent article that makes good points about how MEMORY SPEEDS (off cpu ram) lags vs. the speed of the CPU.

:)

* Hey - By the time I go to buy my next completely NEW system, which I am guessing will be 2009?

This stuff might be out, & by then?? Who KNOWS what kind of CPU, disks, & vidcards will be around to pair w/ it... this seems like they are talking about packing MORE onto the CPU, than external to it imo.

(Eagerly waiting for 2009 I guess, because that's my next 'NEW PC assemble parts, & buy + put together period', God willing!)

To me, it seems, that the industry is moving towards an "All inclusive" type of CPU... GPU onboard it, ALL memory, & probably sound processing too @ some point.

So much for me assembling a new system - it may ALL be on 1 chip!

I am wondering though - this isn't going to be ALL on the CPU is it? If not, then L3 caches may be returning, sort of! Like AMD had on the older "Super-7" style mobos in the past, like the AMD K6-III @450mhz used to be setup like!

APK

P.S.=> I remember when this type or rather, speed, of RAM in Tag-SRAM's was the L2 cache on the mobo (it cost a lot, even for what would today, be considered PUNY amounts (e.g.-> 256k/512k - 10-15ns speeds)), but, it FLEW by comparison to what was then RAM like the DDR we use today (FastPage 30-pin RAM, 60-80ns speeds) instead of being internal to the CPU, back in the 486 days & earlier... I used to buy it to replace the 64k mobos had on them @ that time (if any @ all, better ones did)!

About time they started taking a page from the SRAM world, to get more sheer speed out of memory & packing it onto the CPU instead of external to it... apk

Last edited: