• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

No More Monthly AMD Catalyst Updates?

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
im a programmer myself... i troubleshoot things easy if problems ever come up however i have had zero issues with my hd7970 or any of my previous cards, except for the HD4450 driver making youtube a green screen

You're a programmer? Awesome! Then you should be able to fix the multi-monitor support, corrupt cursor, and OpenGL issues AMD has with their drivers. Because AMD just pretty much admitted they haven't been able too in at least 3 years.

Hell you should send in your resume ASAP! :laugh:

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329
You're a programmer? Awesome! Then you should be able to fix the multi-monitor support, corrupt cursor, and OpenGL issues AMD has with their drivers. Because AMD just pretty much admitted they haven't been able too in at least 3 years.

Hell you should send in your resume ASAP! :laugh:

lol i would gladly help but i would have to experiance the problems for myself or have someone bring in a pc with which those problems are occuring, everything they fixed in the 12.6 beta i didnt even notice in the 12.4.. however i did use the 12.5 pre-release driver for awhile, and im currently busy with programming my own software like my client and server for my game

edit: and im also telling microsoft that windows 8 breaks my game lol

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name 2023 AMD Work & Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" 390Hz (25XV2Q), Alienware 34" 165Hz (AW3423DWF), LG C2 42" 120Hz (OLED42C2PUA)
Case Cooler Master Q300L V2
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM850x White (2021)
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL Champion Series / Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 22H2 Build 22621.1992
im a programmer myself... i troubleshoot things easy if problems ever come up however i have had zero issues with my hd7970 or any of my previous cards, except for the HD4450 driver making youtube a green screen

OpenGL.

System Name CUBE_NXT
Processor i9 12900K @ 5.0Ghz all P-cores with E-cores enabled
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master
Cooling EK AIO Elite Cooler w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Memory 64GB DDR5 @ 5600Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA 3090Ti Ultra Hybrid Gaming w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Storage 1 x SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB, 1 x 2TB, 1 x WD_BLACK SN850 2TB, 1 x WD_RED SN700 4TB
Display(s) Alienware AW3418DW
Case Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Evo w/ 3 Phanteks T30 fans
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME 1000W Titanium
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
well instead of ranting and crying about it here, use the suggestions at AMDs site.

Suggestions for what? There's nothing I can do to fix poor hardware coupled with no software optimizations and the lack of features in the drivers themselves. Your post makes no sense.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Now you sound like a Nvidia fanboy.Only Nvidia fanboys says that AMD drivers suck.

I agree with Mailman. My 580 is the first nVidia card I bought in 8 years. I switched to nVidia expressly because AMD's driver team sucks. Great hardware, shit software. My 4870x2 pushed me over the edge.

I have used AMD/ATI VGA products almost exclusively since 2002. Over the past 10 years, things have gotten more and more complex...and AMD's drivers have added more and more features, and that in turn has introduced more and more issues.

Since 2004 I have been buying AMD high-end VGAs in pairs or triples, from 9800XT to HD2900XT. I STILL have most of these cards in my posession. With the introduction of the HD2900XT, microstutter became an issue. I spent months and months on forums describing this issue, only to have 99.9% of people say such did not exist.

Today, most people know what Microstutter is.

With the launch of Windows 7, DirectX11, and the HD5870, I bought into AMD's Eyefinity, multiple monitors included, only to hve issues with Cursor corruption on the desktop, flickering secondary monitors, and countless other driver-related issues..issues that are only present in configs such as mine.

I RMA'ed no less than 9 HD5870's because of issues with Eyefinity and Crossfire, and the makers of those cards replAced my cards each and every time, because they noticed the exact same issues.

Since then, I've dropped using multiple monitors, and Crossfire, in most instances, because of the problems with such configurations. This is the "new" technology that AMD is hyping, and it is very much broken.

SIngle card, single monitor, is how I run my rig for gaming currently. I still have multiple monitors, and on every driver release, I do a fresh installation of windows and drivers, to see if the prevailing issues I've had for the last serveral years have been fixed...and they have not.

When Eyefinity was first planned, AMD had external boxes for multi-monitor use planned. These external boxes would have a single connection to the VGA, and then distribute the signal to multiple monitors, using DisplayPort.

Those devices were planned to launch in January 2010, called "MST hubs"(multi-stream transport hubs), have yet to hit the consumer market; a key part of the Eyefinity puzzle that has failed to make it to market, and lo and behold, my Eyefinity configuration, as advised by AMD, has failed as well.

Of course, most users aren't using Eyefinity, or multiple monitors, so would have no idea that this tech is very much broken, but it is borken, and it's not just me saying so. I am very glad to hear some users have no problems, but to deny there are long-standing driver problems that have lasted for years, unfortunately, is very foolish.

I used to post here that I was AMD's number 1 fanboy...my opinion has since changed. I have directly asked AMD for help, and they could provide none. Now I have invested into their tech, I feel ripped off, and many things that were promised, never materialized.

And I'll add, with a single monitor, and a single VGA...I don't have many problems either. There are a few, but they are very minor at this point. But that said, I stil lahve thousands of dolalrs of hardware here that AMD marketed as a working solution, yet they cannot help me get it working.

IF them slowing the release of drivers helps fix these issues, then fine, I'll be very happy with that, but if it doesn't, and these issues continue to exist, I think AMD needs to fire the current driver team, and get some fresh blood.

Anyone who would like to see proof of these issues, let me know. I'd be more than happy to put up videos showing them when I get some time, and I'd be far more than willing to try any fixes possible. At this point I have given up on AMD...both for CPUs, and for VGAs. I'm not about to go and buy into nVidia...but I definitely won't be buying anything form AMD any time soon, either! IF anything, I'll buy nVidia, just in spite, because AMD has promised much, and failed to deliver for me..,time and time again.

Yes, for me personally, this says AMD has given up on things. I stil lahve issues existing from years ago, that they have not fixed. TO say they will release less "fixes", less frequently, when I stil have existing issues, can only mean that to me. I've been waiting for years..literal YEARS..and now they say I have to wait longer?
My 4870x2 had flickering texture issues that weren't fixed up until I got my 580, as well as broken image scaling, microstutter and a few other minor ones. I had my card for 2 years, and these issues were never fixed. I tried every update. I will not be going back to AMD until the driver team gets multi monitor and multi gpu setups fixed properly.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Like with Nvidia who burns up cards and has lots of beta drivers available.

At least nVidia's issue was just a software mistake that was quickly fixed, unlike AMD's mistake that was a total hardware misdesign that burnt up reference cards like crazy...:laugh:

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
in order for anything to be fixed it has to be reported to companies directly and I mean the makers of the boards and the makers of the chips themselves

cadaveca

My name is Dave
in order for anything to be fixed it has to be reported to companies directly and I mean the makers of the boards and the makers of the chips themselves

My RMA'ing 9 GPUs of the same model within a year isn't notifying them of issues? :laugh: Issues that still persist, years later?

There's no justifying AMD's alck of properly owrking features, unfortunately.

The good part is that Single GPU and Singel monitor work great, but anything else is a crap shoot. The bad part, for me personally, is that AMD is currently making products that for me, don't work as advertized.

Now, even the simple suggestion of using, say, and Eyefinity6 or "FLEX" edition card, which does fix the major part of the problems, never happened, because, to me, AMD was unwilling to admit that hardware didn't work ,while thier partners did agree there was a problem, and continually offered me updated models in an attempt to get my configuration working correctly.

The reports of BSODs on 7-series cards kept me awway form them, which apparantly this new BETA driver fixes, however, it's BETA, and doesn't pass WHQL certifcation at this point. WHQL certifaction doesn't mean much, other than the driver won't cause BSOD's, so that work isn't lost.

The notes of the beta driver, and the posting from the AMD rep stating a driver was in the works to fix the problem, indicate that AMD is fully aware of the issues I personally, had.

OpenGL problem, again, ahve been reported both to software manufacturers and to AMD, beleive me. SO I fail to see teh method to your posting? Widely documented issues, throughout the industry, and no fix, are what the problem revolves around. Eyefinity. AMD's #1 new feature, causing BSOD while on the desktop, is 1000% unexcusable. That's not even placing the GPUs under load!

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
yea been trying to get autodesk maya working with AMD gpus since they switched the driver model early last year performance got worse and worse 7k cards dont work properly at all ive submited over a dozen reports and gone through higher ups as well, their is no solution I just get stone walled AMD's drivers are a mess end of discussion, for gaming single gpu single monitor as cadaveca said is fine, but once you start using their awesome features they market constantly you run into a shit ton of trouble.

Processor 8700k Intel
Motherboard z370 MSI Godlike Gaming
Cooling Triple Aquacomputer AMS Copper 840 with D5
Memory TridentZ RGB G.Skill C16 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 Ti
Storage Crucial MX SSDs
Display(s) Dell U3011 2560x1600 + Dell 2408WFP 1200x1920 (Portrait)
Case Core P5 Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Essence STX
Power Supply AX 1500i
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Corsair
Software Win10
yea been trying to get autodesk maya working with AMD gpus since they switched the driver model early last year performance got worse and worse 7k cards dont work properly at all ive submited over a dozen reports and gone through higher ups as well, their is no solution I just get stone walled AMD's drivers are a mess end of discussion, for gaming single gpu single monitor as cadaveca said is fine, but once you start using their awesome features they market constantly you run into a shit ton of trouble.

I am using an Nvidia GPU to get things done on 3DS atm, can't do that with AMD/ATI because I'm having tons of issue especially with cursor coordinates when working on vertex selection, it just swaps randomly across the screen, very annoying.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
yea same here on 6000 and 7000 series gpus im totally screwed

Autodesk Maya 7 - 2010 takes 15-45 seconds delay between each vertex selection or UV cordinate selection if i mass select delay can take 5 mins, view port delays etc, 3DS Max also broken, Mudbox works... sorta it has some weird issues going on,

hilariously enough Blender works just fine, to bad it doesnt support any of the scripts or tools i use. need to find a GTX 670 or 680 to trade my 7970 DirectCu II for.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
RMAing is just a small fraction of reporting, reporting issues with drivers and software alike to everyone makes more of a report. Also another point to mention, the parts are guaranteed on machines that are run at factory speed, not overclocked. Overclocking causes too many issues.

My RMA'ing 9 GPUs of the same model within a year isn't notifying them of issues? :laugh: Issues that still persist, years later?

There's no justifying AMD's alck of properly owrking features, unfortunately.

The good part is that Single GPU and Singel monitor work great, but anything else is a crap shoot. The bad part, for me personally, is that AMD is currently making products that for me, don't work as advertized.

Now, even the simple suggestion of using, say, and Eyefinity6 or "FLEX" edition card, which does fix the major part of the problems, never happened, because, to me, AMD was unwilling to admit that hardware didn't work ,while thier partners did agree there was a problem, and continually offered me updated models in an attempt to get my configuration working correctly.

The reports of BSODs on 7-series cards kept me awway form them, which apparantly this new BETA driver fixes, however, it's BETA, and doesn't pass WHQL certifcation at this point. WHQL certifaction doesn't mean much, other than the driver won't cause BSOD's, so that work isn't lost.

The notes of the beta driver, and the posting from the AMD rep stating a driver was in the works to fix the problem, indicate that AMD is fully aware of the issues I personally, had.

OpenGL problem, again, ahve been reported both to software manufacturers and to AMD, beleive me. SO I fail to see teh method to your posting? Widely documented issues, throughout the industry, and no fix, are what the problem revolves around. Eyefinity. AMD's #1 new feature, causing BSOD while on the desktop, is 1000% unexcusable. That's not even placing the GPUs under load!