• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EA to go 100% Digital, Calls NPD 'Irrelevant'

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
and there was me saying threads are not pety these days.

Imho EA should stfu untill they get a decent amount of games on origin(which ive no roblems with GUI,wise), and they deffinately need to UnGay their system, while i understand that it costs to run a server, once thats up and running anyway it shouldnt cost that much more to host more titles, and when they brought it out they said you would be able to link your older EA hardcopies to it, Crysis still wont, NFS pro street wont and many other titles i own that are not That old, to link them id have to buy them again, epic FAIL and not gona happen plus EA assed up my steam bought(pre and stupid) crysis 2 so bad i didnt play it for months and it now isnt installed thru steam but origin, yet in the steam folder and even then i had to get onto EA online to get it working.

Seems to me EA's burning more bridges then its building, and i only prefer steam due to the larger catalogue, and OBV beause they do deals and good ones at that.:D:D something EA think is ruining the sector(dicks)

Last edited:
did you forget server expense?
power usage for said servers?
back ups of said servers in case of issues?
servers across the world for multiple regions to maintain download performance?
Cost of paying people to keep those servers in top form
Cost of storing user data, for said games keeping them tied to various accounts various backups of said accounts.
Cost of support across clients with live support built into the Origin client

shall I continue, all these factor into the cost of a server, Games that dont sell or get downloaded often still need to be maintained on said server etc. All this adds up,

My guess is it adds up to about the same cost as buying discs burning discs making packaging and shipping to stores.

Theirs alot more that goes into keeping their servers running properly up to date and most importantly SECURE, security probably being the biggest burden,

I'm not forgetting these things, but if these things add up to more than physical media then why are we bothering down this road in the first place? Ease of use? Is that what it's called when I can't play my games offline?

I've no insight into the industry so I could be well off the mark but personally I don't imagine back end stuff comes to more than printing, shipping and having stores take their cut. If it did then how can Origin and Steam then sell for a more reasonable price later on? It all just smacks of trying to wring money out of people.

In terms of back end stuff, why aren't they doing more to promote P2P and thus reduce their server loads... oh right, it's because everyone believes P2P is used by pirates... ARRrr me 'earty!

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
In terms of back end stuff, why aren't they doing more to promote P2P and thus reduce their server loads... oh right, it's because everyone believes P2P is used by pirates... ARRrr me 'earty!
Because P2P will destroy security. I'm not gonna give out my credit card to a service and then download the good from some random seedier who injects hacked DDL's.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
well for starters, the ad spam every time i boot my fucking PC... thats lame ass shit right there. not cool EA... this is MY computer, you have no right to FORCE me to use your software and then FORCE ads on my screen.

NO OTHER program i have installed EVER does that, so who at EA thought it was alright to spam ads?

Do you even use Steam? Origin only shows you the ads when you sign in. And Steam does the same thing, and right after you close a game in steam another add window comes up.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Because P2P will destroy security. I'm not gonna give out my credit card to a service and then download the good from some random seedier who injects hacked DDL's.

Wouldn't that only be possible if they allowed someone top be the original seed rather than them being that seed and putting the torrent out there? I honestly think it's a good idea if companies want to save money, though for people who have bandwidth limits it will just make things worse. But for everyone else, it wouldn't be too bad.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Wouldn't that only be possible if they allowed someone top be the original seed rather than them being that seed and putting the torrent out there? I honestly think it's a good idea if companies want to save money, though for people who have bandwidth limits it will just make things worse. But for everyone else, it wouldn't be too bad.

Anyone who seeds the file can add a hacked DDL or any other BS.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit

So you've never downloaded WoW or Diablo 3 from Blizzard who do use the P2P method unless you manually switch it off? Fair enough. It's been done before and it's been done securely.

If you're that paranoid about your credit card then I'd suggest burning it and resorting to paper cash as frankly everyone you give it to is a potential security risk. Most decent Credit Cards have online fraud protection anyway so it's easy to get your money back. Hell, my bank even called me to tell me someone tried to use it to buy stuff from an online shop that I'd never used before just the other day. Turns out it was me but I was still impressed.

Processor E5-1680 V2
Motherboard Rampage IV black
Video Card(s) Asrock 7900 xtx
Storage 500 gb sd
Software windows 10 64 bit
Benchmark Scores 29,433 3dmark06 score
My guess is it adds up to about the same cost as buying discs burning discs making packaging and shipping to stores.

as someone else said if this is the case and obviously it is to some degree for online gaming isnt cheaper...wtf is the point of this crap? Honestly I've hated steam from the first time I've had to deal with it playing skyrim es V....just utter annoying bullshit if it didn't load properly sometimes when server was slow etc I'd wait forever for it to load up and blah blah blah, there is an option to play offline etc but point is I'm NOT even playing an online game with other people WHY THE FUCK do I even need to get online to play a single player role playing game? Shouldn't even be an option...I like having my physical copy, you put it in the tray OR better yet it doesn't have annoying copyright protection that hardly works anyway on it and I just click on the icon and it loads up from my harddrive same way everytime poof!

System Name N/A
Processor i7-4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97-A
Cooling Thermalright True Power 140
Memory 2 x 8GB GeIL Potenza 2400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 970 Gaming
Storage 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) 24" Samsung 1080p LED Monitor
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Corsair TX650W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown MX)
Software Windows 8.1
I bought a game from Origin and two days later my dog got ran over by a car. That never happened when I bought my games from Steam. Damn your black-hearted souls EA! Damn you!

hahahahah

I dislike Origin, but not strongly. It doesn't have the catalog steam does, and it lacks the sales. Those are the two most important things to me. I only use it because I play Battlefield

Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro

evulmunk33

BitFenix Rep
Analysts have predicted that we're heading toward an all-digital age, and EA intends to speed up the process by actively moving toward that goal itself
way to go for "speeding up the process" and staying "following the latest trend" EA... :slap:

i havent had an optical drive in my system for almost 5 years, and havent had one in my laptop for 2 years

im shocked how many laptops actually still come with an optical disk drive...
why make a laptop thicker and heavier to carry around?
whats the last time youve seen somebody use an optical disc ON THE GO???

some people MAYBE use them at home or in the office or when meeting friends... but how common is it that they are used on the go? and most of those situations are predictable, nothing "just comes up" requiring you to use an optical disc these days... those few people should carry an external drive with them which weighs about the same, making laptops cheaper and lighter for the vast majority...

luckily intel FINALLY realized this as well and is suggesting no ODDs in ultra books, one of the few things they got right about those things...
or maybe they only did it to cut costs, hah!

Desert Eagle

way to go for "speeding up the process" and staying "following the latest trend" EA... :slap:

i havent had an optical drive in my system for almost 5 years, and havent had one in my laptop for 2 years

im shocked how many laptops actually still come with an optical disk drive...
why make a laptop thicker and heavier to carry around?
whats the last time youve seen somebody use an optical disc ON THE GO???

some people MAYBE use them at home or in the office or when meeting friends... but how common is it that they are used on the go? and most of those situations are predictable, nothing "just comes up" requiring you to use an optical disc these days... those few people should carry an external drive with them which weighs about the same, making laptops cheaper and lighter for the vast majority...

luckily intel FINALLY realized this as well and is suggesting no ODDs in ultra books, one of the few things they got right about those things...
or maybe they only did it to cut costs, hah!

Well said, and EA, the bane of gamers and a turd-stripe on the underwear of humankind, intends to drag us kicking and screaming into the post-optical disk age whether we like it or not. Adapt or be left behind. Evolution 101.

Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro

i still have a single burner, just for makeing driving cds it seems, I had not considdered it but ive not bought a hard copy in a year or two

Ive allready got 8 games via origin but imho they need to get all their back catalogue on it fast and allow disk copies ,ALL old disk serials to be tied to it if legit, simples via this they would garner some respect and support from the gamers(pc) inc me, origin has improved since the beta started but what is going on over their that its still a soddin beta:confused:

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
Can EA just come out with another Burnout game already? One that isnt anything like Paradise and more like Revenge.

Edit: Also, why do we not get discounts on digital media compared to that of physical media? I dont want to pay $60 for a game for a digital copy when the physical media costs the same. I want $10 off.

3design

System Name CM Storm Workstation
Processor Intel Core i7-3930K @ 3.20GHz
Motherboard Asus RAMPAGE IV FORMULA - X79 Series
Cooling 7 x 120mm XIGMATEK F1256 Fans + Zalman CNPS20LQ Liquid Heatsink
Memory 32GB~ CORSAIR VENGEANCE
Video Card(s) GPU01 - Ati Firepro v7900 Series (2GB) | GPU02 - Sapphire HD 7970 GHz (3GB)
Storage 2 x Crucial M4 - 256GB | 1 x HotSwap Crucial M4 - 128GB
Display(s) 3 x ASUS VE247H
Case CM STORM TROOPER
Power Supply Corsair HX1050 (1050W)
Software 2 x Windows 7 Pro (64-Bit)
EA This, EA that...

Seriously, I stopped buying their product 2 years ago (accept burnout paradise). They are blabbering like gits with their mouth open for flies to lay their eggs.

Need For Speed is getting crappier everyday, accept for burnout paradise. I still play that game...

Need For Speed: Underground 1 & 2 (Holy **** Big GREAT game!)
Need For Speed: Most Wanted (Great Game!)
Need For Speed: Carbon (Graphics Improvement, needs improvement!)
Need For Speed: Undercover (OK Game, needs more flare and WOW factor...)
Need For Speed Pro street (Crap, who made this ****?)
Need For Speed: Shift 1 & 2 (WTF? This game is the biggest downfall! The game is buggy, glitch as hell (even worse on Shift 2), features and contents are limited.)

Notes: In Shift 2 (PC), it looks more like a port version from PS3, even if you set graphics quality to the max. That is disturbing and lazy...

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (PS3 & PC Edition) - Great Game! Needs more flare... Criterion can do better than that - com on!

Need For Speed: Most Wanted 2 (Criterion Game) - Car Modification are being stripped down or thrown aside... WTF? Criterion, look at the original: Most Wanted game! Open your firkin eyes!!!!

Crysis - 1 & 2 - Still buggy as hell if you haven't notice. Most of the bug are located behind the game and the 'core' engine...

Command & Conquer 3 + 4 --- The worse series ever made for public! The other version: C&C 4, it's even worse! The gameplay mechanics were stripped down like crazy, graphics are buggy (if you look hard enough). Even MORE disgraceful, they slap that "Always Online DRM" just for everybody to HATE like never before! What a total FAIL...

EA, get a life...

-----

This lists are endless... I will stop here...

System Name Clemot
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard MSI P67A-GD65
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho
Memory Corsair CMX9 DDR3-1600 2x2GB
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX560Ti OC 1GB
Storage WD Black 1TB, Seagate 80GB 3xRaid0
Display(s) DELL E198WFP 19"
Case NZXT Guardian 921 RB Red
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 2 Platinum
Power Supply Xigmatec NRP-600w
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Edit: Also, why do we not get discounts on digital media compared to that of physical media? I dont want to pay $60 for a game for a digital copy when the physical media costs the same. I want $10 off.

+1:toast:

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
Lets say you buy a game and its no longer supported.

example: a fps and they turn off servers and remove game from accounts.

You'll have nothing left basically.

I'm not sure if someone mentioned this already.

Processor 7800x3d
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Auros Elite AX
Cooling Custom Water
Memory GSKILL 2x16gb 6000mhz Cas 30 with custom timings
Video Card(s) MSI RX 6750 XT MECH 2X 12G OC
Storage Adata SX8200 1tb with Windows, Samsung 990 Pro 2tb with games
Display(s) HP Omen 27q QHD 165hz
Case ThermalTake P3
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex Titanium
Software Windows 11 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores CB23: 1811 / 19424 CB24: 1136 / 7687
I might actually play some ea games if they were f2p.

Most just don't look worth the money. I enjoyed crysis, but borrowed that from a friend. Same with crysis 2, but that wasn't as good a game. The nfs games just don't interest me. I don't feel like playing bf3 for $60 when I have mindless shooters I am happy with. Friends tell me I need to play bf2142 if that is what it is called.

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
EA when are you discounting BF3 Premium or at least CQ? And can you push back BF4 until Fall/Winter 2014?

Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
EA when are you discounting BF3 Premium or at least CQ?

Probably never seeing as though Premium gets you all 5 DLCs for $10 a piece instead of paying $15 individually for each one. And not to mention EA isn't like Steam with discounting their games.

And can you push back BF4 until Fall/Winter 2014?

Its not so bad, at least its not like a new COD every single year :laugh:

System Name Current Rig
Processor AMD 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI x670e Tomahawk wifi
Cooling Artic Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill 32gb ddr5 6000mhz
Video Card(s) AMD 7900XTX 24 GB
Storage Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
Display(s) Alienware 3420DW 120 Freesync
Case LianLi Lancool III white non-rgb
Audio Device(s) Onboard ALC
Power Supply Corsair Shift 1000W
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard Ducky Shine 5
Software Win 11 64bit
Benchmark Scores The second best!
I picked up Karkand for $7.50 on a short 50% off sale,... so I have some hope.