• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte motherboard, pc won't bootup after recent hard drive change

sc4s2cg

So I've previously had this problem when I added new SATA hard drives to an old one, all I had to do was switch hard disk priority to the one I wanted to boot from. But that's not working right now.

Error message: AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI!
Specs:
  1. Motherboard: Gigabyte ma785gmt-ud2h
  2. Four SATA hard drives, three 2tb and one 1tb
  3. One IDE hard drive, 160gb
  4. 6gb RAM
  5. Everything else is the default
What happened: I had an Amahi home server running on this PC with Ubuntu 12.04LTS as the OS. It was using the four SATA hard drives and everything was running smoothly. Then I read that it's easiest to have a setup where the OS/Amahi is installed on one small hard drive while the large hard drives are used to keep the files on, this makes it easy to update the OS without worrying about the files. So today I installed Ubuntu 12.04LTS on an old IDE 160gb hard drive that I had laying around, which would be perfect to use since there is exactly one IDE port on the motherboard.

I disconnected all hard drives, connected the IDE, installed Ubuntu, and rebooted. I got a "AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI!" message.

What I tried:
  • Have the IDE be given priority over other hard drives.
  • Connecting all the hard drives back, with and without the IDE hard drive. Same message.
  • Disconnect all hard drives, connect IDE, and set BIO to opimised defaults. Same message.
  • Disconnect CD drive with only IDE attached, same message. Reconnect CD drive, same message.
  • Disconnect CD drive with only SATA attached, same message. Reconnect CD drive, same message.
  • Disconnect CD drive with SATA and IDE attached, same message. Reconnect CD drive, same message.
  • Just IDE connected, mess with the peripheral settings by changing "OnChip SATA Type" to ATHCI, RAID, or IDE. Tried this with "As SATA Type" and with "IDE" set for the port4/5 type
  • Just IDE connected, disable SATA controller
  • Disconnect IDE, reconnect original hard drives. I still get the same DMI message.
  • Attempt to boot from the SATA hard drive that has Ubuntu on it, using each of the SATA ports.
  • Update BIOS to F10B, disabling the "Remember DMI" option. I reconnected all hard drives and the CD drive (the pdf said the 'system' will redetect all devices). Now I got the "AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI! Update Success" message, still hanging there. Rebooted, now it's the original message.

So I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

Edit: there were many suggestions to try clear the CMOS, however that didn't seem to help the posters. I haven't tried that, but if people suggest I should then I will do so tomorrow.

Last edited:
System Name Custom DIY
Processor Intel i7 2600K @ 4.8 Turbo 1.4v
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro 8801
Cooling XSPC RS240 + 120mm Rad/fan
Memory Corsair 1866 Vangence 9-10-9-27-2T
Video Card(s) 2X EVGA GTX570 SLI
Storage OCZ Revodrive 110GB + 2x1TB seagate
Display(s) ASUS MT276HE
Case CoolerMaster Sniper
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series
Power Supply ANTEC TP-750 Blue 750Watts
Software win7 64
Benchmark Scores http://3dmark.com/3dm11/1347866
So I've previously had this problem when I added new SATA hard drives to an old one, all I had to do was switch hard disk priority to the one I wanted to boot from. But that's not working right now.

Error message: AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI!
Specs:
  1. Motherboard: Gigabyte ma785gmt-ud2h
  2. Four SATA hard drives, three 2tb and one 1tb
  3. One IDE hard drive, 160gb
  4. 6gb RAM
  5. Everything else is the default
What happened: I had an Amahi home server running on this PC with Ubuntu 12.04LTS as the OS. It was using the four SATA hard drives and everything was running smoothly. Then I read that it's easiest to have a setup where the OS/Amahi is installed on one small hard drive while the large hard drives are used to keep the files on, this makes it easy to update the OS without worrying about the files. So today I installed Ubuntu 12.04LTS on an old IDE 160gb hard drive that I had laying around, which would be perfect to use since there is exactly one IDE port on the motherboard.

I disconnected all hard drives, connected the IDE, installed Ubuntu, and rebooted. I got a "AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI!" message.

What I tried:
  • Have the IDE be given priority over other hard drives.
  • Connecting all the hard drives back, with and without the IDE hard drive. Same message.
  • Disconnect all hard drives, connect IDE, and set BIO to opimised defaults. Same message.
  • Disconnect CD drive with only IDE attached, same message. Reconnect CD drive, same message.
  • Disconnect CD drive with only SATA attached, same message. Reconnect CD drive, same message.
  • Disconnect CD drive with SATA and IDE attached, same message. Reconnect CD drive, same message.
  • Just IDE connected, mess with the peripheral settings by changing "OnChip SATA Type" to ATHCI, RAID, or IDE. Tried this with "As SATA Type" and with "IDE" set for the port4/5 type
  • Just IDE connected, disable SATA controller
  • Disconnect IDE, reconnect original hard drives. I still get the same DMI message.
  • Attempt to boot from the SATA hard drive that has Ubuntu on it, using each of the SATA ports.
  • Update BIOS to F10B, disabling the "Remember DMI" option. I reconnected all hard drives and the CD drive (the pdf said the 'system' will redetect all devices). Now I got the "AMD Data Change...Update New Data to DMI! Update Success" message, still hanging there. Rebooted, now it's the original message.

So I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

Edit: there were many suggestions to try clear the CMOS, however that didn't seem to help the posters. I haven't tried that, but if people suggest I should then I will do so tomorrow.

now it look like it freeze because its searching boot sector...leave it there see if you have keyboard. and try booting in menu with only 1 pre formated hd on anjy port.

Your bios also as some kind of dual bios design a think... may cause problem or not. when problem like that append on integrated RAID controller, reset your bios by unplugging PC remove side cover. press power see led coming on then of really fast, if no this good too, no power on motherboard, remove cr2032 battery, then put jumper in reset position like short pin 2,3. (check if it output 2.8 to 3.0 volts if under change it), put back cmos battery , now unshort cmos jumper back to original position. plug power . boot, ERRoR about bioa , configure raid and check

Last edited:
System Name Selene / Yoda
Processor Fx 8350 @ 4.4 / Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 r4.0 / Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Cooling H100i / Xig Dark Knight
Memory 4x 8gb G.Skill Snipers / 4x 4gb G.Skill Ares
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 290x / XfX DD & VisionTek HD6850's C'fired
Storage 256gb ssd, 2x 2tb Wd Blacks & 1x 1tb Wd black / 1x 1tb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp 2408 WFp / Hp w2207
Case Raidmax Vampire / Chieftec Alum. Dragon Blue
Audio Device(s) Onboard Hd Audio / Onboard Hd Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX 850 watt / Corsair TX 750 watt
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 10 pro / Win Vista Home prem. 64 bit
Benchmark Scores What are benchmarks anyway?
I have the exact same board (my cruncher with the 960t) and I get that same message when booting. I am also running Ubuntu 12.04 on it. It boots just fine so I don't think that is stopping your boot process. I believe it has something to do with the Ide drive as the boot drive. That is how I have mine with the same message as I noted above.

sc4s2cg

now it look like it freeze because its searching boot sector...leave it there see if you have keyboard. and try booting in menu with only 1 pre formated hd on anjy port.

Your bios also as some kind of dual bios design a think... may cause problem or not. when problem like that append on integrated RAID controller, reset your bios by unplugging PC remove side cover. press power see led coming on then of really fast, if no this good too, no power on motherboard, remove cr2032 battery, then put jumper in reset position like short pin 2,3. (check if it output 2.8 to 3.0 volts if under change it), put back cmos battery , now unshort cmos jumper back to original position. plug power . boot, ERRoR about bioa , configure raid and check
Hello,

So far I disconnected the battery for 6 hours and then loaded optimized defaults, this was suggested by the Gigabyte forums. It didn't work. I also tried setting it to AHCI, that didn't work either.

The current message is at "Verifying DMI Pool Data".

I am not sure what you mean by shorting the CMOS jumper. I did hold a paperclip against the two CMOS pins, the pdf says that should short them. That did not have any effect.

sc4s2cg

I have the exact same board (my cruncher with the 960t) and I get that same message when booting. I am also running Ubuntu 12.04 on it. It boots just fine so I don't think that is stopping your boot process. I believe it has something to do with the Ide drive as the boot drive. That is how I have mine with the same message as I noted above.

Yeah, I don't think it's the Ubuntu either. Afterall, I had Ubuntu 12.04LTS running with the four SATA hard drives before this..

I'm not sure about the IDE, I did disconnect IDE and reconnect the SATA's. But I still got the same messages.

Edit: Also tried this:

• I disconnected all hard drives and hard drive cables, also took out the RAMs (turns out it's 8gb, 4x2) except for one 2gb. CD drive is disconnected, only keyboard and monitor are connected now. New message "AMD Data Change...Update New DATA to DMI! Update Success" and then right after that "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter".
  • Next I added just the IDE hard drive, it was then stuck at "Verifying DMI Pool Data". Left it there for a couple minutes, still there.
  • Next I removed the IDE, and added just the SATA hard drive that has the OS on it. Message was "Verifying DMI Pool Data" even after a couple minutes.

Last edited:
Processor AMD 8350
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Night Night Hawk Edition
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600 GSkill Ripjaws CL7
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 500gb + WD Black 5Tb
Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 144Hz
Case White Corsair 500r
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i 860W
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
This is weird, I have the same board & have the same problem too. Haven't had time to trouble shoot it. I did try the battery removal without success.

baggpipes

System Name R2D2
Processor AMD FX-4100
Motherboard MSI 970 G45
Cooling Stock
Memory Kingston T1 8GB 1600 DDR3 @ 1800mHz
Video Card(s) AMD Sapphire 6850
Storage RAID 0 WD Caviar Blue 1TB total
Display(s) Acer 19" widescreen and Sony 32" Bravia 1080p 60hz
Case NZXT Gamma Series
Power Supply 700w OCZ Mod Stream Pro
Software Windows 7 Professional
Benchmark Scores hit 4.5ghz stock cooler....
Hard drives in RAID?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
IDE drive..probably has jumper block on it for Slave/Master..that causes these issues as well. Try moving jumper to "cable select", or Master at end of cable, or Slave at mid-cable. Boot drive should be set to Master.

Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
I have a ide drive in mine which is the boot and only drive in the system. No other kind of drive what so ever and I get the Amd data change message, but mine boots fine and runs fine. I am like I said under Ubuntu too. I haven't really played with because it does run and is super stable.

sc4s2cg

Just wanted to update on what I did so far. The overall result is that nothing happened.

1. Extended clear of CMOS (waited 6 hours after taking out batter), load optimised BIOS
  2. Disconnect all hard drives and all rams, except for one 2gb
  3. Reconnected CD, got a "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" message after the DMI Update Success message
  4. Added IDE, "Verifying DMI Pool Data"
  5. Disconnect IDE, added SATA "Verifying DMI Pool Data"
  6. Synchronised BIOS
  7. Connected DVD/CD to port 4, SATA hdd to port 0
  8. Set to AHCI controller and IDE Port 4/5
  9. Still hangs at "Verifying DMI Pool Data" -- waited 30 minutes here

These suggestions came from the gigabyte forums. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

sc4s2cg

IDE drive..probably has jumper block on it for Slave/Master..that causes these issues as well. Try moving jumper to "cable select", or Master at end of cable, or Slave at mid-cable. Boot drive should be set to Master.

I am not sure what you mean by the first part, but the hdd is connected to Master cable and when I boot up it loads that "Master 0" is that hard drive.

Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Just wanted to update on what I did so far. The overall result is that nothing happened.

1. Extended clear of CMOS (waited 6 hours after taking out batter), load optimised BIOS
  2. Disconnect all hard drives and all rams, except for one 2gb
  3. Reconnected CD, got a "Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter" message after the DMI Update Success message
  4. Added IDE, "Verifying DMI Pool Data"
  5. Disconnect IDE, added SATA "Verifying DMI Pool Data"
  6. Synchronised BIOS
  7. Connected DVD/CD to port 4, SATA hdd to port 0
  8. Set to AHCI controller and IDE Port 4/5
  9. Still hangs at "Verifying DMI Pool Data" -- waited 30 minutes here

These suggestions came from the gigabyte forums. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

When you had the cd drive connected and got the boot failure error, did you have a os disc in it?

sc4s2cg

Alright, so, a couple things:

• Got the scare of my life after all of a sudden the monitor wouldn't receive signals from the PC. This happened after I reconnected all previously unconnected hard drives and RAMs (except one 2gb stick). This is when I left the whole thing out of frustration and ignored the server out of spite. Today, I fixed it by unconnecting everything again, adding a new graphics card, turning it on. It didn't work so I removed the new graphics card, left everything unconnceted, and tried the default one again. For some reason the monitor started receiving signals. reconnected all things again and monitor still worked
  • I got the Ubuntu 12.04LTS OS to boot up tonight. Everything was connected, it didn't boot up. Then I tried to plug it all back exactly the way they were before. And boom, it worked.

For the record, this is how everything is plugged in:

SATA1: CD/DVD drive
SATA4: Seagate Barracuda ST31000528AS (OS)
SATA3: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DL003 (Storage 1)
SATA2: Western Digital Caviar Green WD20EARS (Storage 2)
SATA0: Western Digital WD20EADS (Storage 3)

Now that I got the exact configurations down, I'll do some testing with switching cables around. Then by adding the IDE hard drive. I'll update my results here.

When you had the cd drive connected and got the boot failure error, did you have a os disc in it?

I did not. The error came up because I didn't have any of the hard drives connected.

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
If there was a os disc in the drive it would have probably booted from it. :toast:

sc4s2cg

If there was a os disc in the drive it would have probably booted from it. :toast:

Yeah, I did install Ubuntu from a CD to the IDE. So it did boot up from the CD. But it wouldn't boot up from the hard drive itself, and the hard drive had a fresh Ubuntu install on it.

But right now I'm just happy I have a server again. :toast:

Tomorrow I'll mess around with it and test configurations. Weird that this configuration was needed even after I updated the BIOS (twice) and completely cleared the CMOS...but there you have it.

Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Mine still give me the amd data error but it doesn't seem to stop the boot up.

Omar24Kobe

System Name Kobe's System
Processor Intel Core I7 SandyBridge 3820 ... OC @ 4.3
Motherboard GIGABYTE X79-UD3
Cooling CoolerMaster X6
Memory Corsair Vengeance (4x4)16G DDR3 Bus 1600 @ 9.9.9-24
Video Card(s) AMD Sapphire HD 7970 ... OC @1100/1560
Storage ADATA XPG SX900 120G + WD Green 500G
Display(s) AOC 24 inch
Case CoolerMaster HAF-X 942
Power Supply Everest 80Plus 1010W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark Vantage (P34346) GPU:37040 - CPU:28181 3D Mark11 (P9595)
have u guys tried to update the Bord BIOS???

sc4s2cg

Hello. Here is what I did so far:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TKcrPKUdqeR5TjKidhoKdD4RQNJa34jY8bXn62yzuPo/edit

Top chart says what ports the hard drives were in (and what type of hard drives they are) when the server worked. I obviously didn't try all combinations, but so far the results are weird.

• I found out that my OS is on the 2tb samsung hard drive, not 1tb. Whoops.
  • If I have the OS hd in SATA3, and any hd in SATA1 or 2, I get the DMI hang.

Does anyone know what this means?

I did update the BIOS to F10b from F4

Processor AMD 8350
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Night Night Hawk Edition
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600 GSkill Ripjaws CL7
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming OC Ed
Storage Samsung 850 Evo 500gb + WD Black 5Tb
Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 144Hz
Case White Corsair 500r
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX860i 860W
Software Win 10 Pro 64bit
I finally just pulled my MA785GMT-UD2H & replaced it with a MSI 890GXM-G65, a lot less aggravation.

Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe

Mine is at the latest bios. The message doesn't bother the booting of mine though. I was more curious of what the deal was with it. System runs fine and crunches 24/7 without issue.