• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Reallocated Sectors Count: Should I be worried?

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Could be a defect found at the factory and fixed by reallocation

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
A long smart test should tell if you if the drive is suitable to still be used or not.

If you start up a Ubuntu LiveCD you could run:

sudo -i
apt-get install smartmontools
smartctl -t long /dev/sda #assuming the first drive is what you're talking about

It could take a while and it runs in the background. I recommend running it over night and checking it with this:

smartctl -a /dev/sda

Once again, I'm assuming the drive is living at /dev/sda and not a higher order drive.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
I just lost my HDD to this, basically they are bad sector waiting to be allocated to the "backup"sectors on the disk. Once they have run out, you will be looking at a dead HDD.

Keep your eye on this and the reallocated sector count, if it keeps increasing day in day out you wanna backup and RMA asap.

System Name Clemot
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard MSI P67A-GD65
Cooling Thermalright HR-02 Macho
Memory Corsair CMX9 DDR3-1600 2x2GB
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX560Ti OC 1GB
Storage WD Black 1TB, Seagate 80GB 3xRaid0
Display(s) DELL E198WFP 19"
Case NZXT Guardian 921 RB Red
Audio Device(s) Creative Audigy 2 Platinum
Power Supply Xigmatec NRP-600w
i once lost my hardisk because of this. it tends to increase the realocated number if you keep using it. and win7 notified me to back up my hdd every time i login, it's first warning of a hdd would be failing. even if you lucky and still fine, it still have a negative effect,, your hdd access will be slow at some point/sector that affected. just return/rma it while it's still new, just dont take a risk.

Blooker

The information here was usefull already, but I have a slightly different case:

I had a few harddisks in a while, they shown 600 bad sectors or even more, gave 'condition' warnings (said they were low on health) in other words the utilities said it was near failure.

But the disks worked fine and never failed while oftenly used. How is that possible, can it be wrong S.M.A.R.T data, or can some kind of event through years mark a disk with it while it actually will last forever?

Sorry to bump this but it matches the extent of my question the best: How can it be near 'failure' while the result of the bad sectors (would be performance and other issues) is nowhere to be found

in other words, can something result in that info (disk attributes) being falsely reported as that to the utility

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro

I had a few harddisks in a while, they shown 600 bad sectors or even more, gave 'condition' warnings (said they were low on health) in other words the utilities said it was near failure.

But the disks worked fine and never failed while oftenly used. How is that possible, can it be wrong S.M.A.R.T data, or can some kind of event through years mark a disk with it while it actually will last forever?

Sorry to bump this but it matches the extent of my question the best: How can it be near 'failure' while the result of the bad sectors (would be performance and other issues) is nowhere to be found

in other words, can something result in that info (disk attributes) being falsely reported as that to the utility

If data is never hitting those sectors you won't notice it. Until the computer decides to dump data in the exact areas where those dodgy sectors are, the HDD will probably run fine. If however, you're doing some very important work, hit save, and the HDD decides it's time to save on those sectors, it'll probably crash and lose whatever it was trying to write in that area.

I Managed to backup an entire drive that had too many reallocated sectors, and it backed up the entire drive apart from about 3 movie files in a random folder. The computer would run fine until it had to seek around those files, and just crash.

Bottom line is, if Smart Data says imminent failure, backup and replace. Don't try to be smart about it (no pun intended).

System Name maipc
Processor 4790k @ 4.4Ghz / 1.16v
Motherboard Asus vii hero
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2x8GB) Hyperx fury 1866 / CL10
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060 Ti Gaming X 8GB
Storage 1TB 860EVO + 1TB 860EVO + 4TB WD Red + 4TB WD Red
Display(s) Asus VG259QM (1080p IPS 240Hz)
Case Cooler Master Centurion 6
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-650
Mouse Logitech G Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Wooting 60HE
Software Win 10 64bit

I'm pretty sure that a drive never uses bad sectors again after they are found. So you should be fine if things stay as they are. However having bad sectors on a drive indicates that there might be a problem with it, a problem that can cause more bad sectors to appear at any time or the drive might just completely die.

You backup data right?

System Name my box
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard ASRock Taichi x470 Ultimate
Cooling NZXT Kraken x72
Memory 2×16GiB @ 3200MHz, some Corsair RGB led meme crap
Video Card(s) AMD [ASUS ROG STRIX] Radeon RX Vega64 [OC Edition]
Storage Samsung 970 Pro && 2× Seagate IronWolf Pro 4TB in Raid 1
Display(s) Asus VG278H + Asus VH226H
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black TG
Audio Device(s) Using optical S/PDIF output lol
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i
Mouse Razer Naga Epic
Keyboard Keychron Q1
Software Funtoo Linux
Benchmark Scores 217634.24 BogoMIPS
FWIW, I had a torrent that would keep getting corrupt because one of its blocks kept getting written to a bad sector and thus kept failing its hash check when read. That very same HDD I mentioned in my post on the first page two years ago, BTW. Now at more or less stable 1290 bad sectors.