• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zalman Releases ZM-NC3 Notebook Cooler

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Zalman announced the ZM-NC3 notebook cooler in select markets. The cooler is designed to accommodate notebooks with screen-sizes as big as 17-inch, and features a direct-flow design using a single 200 mm manual-control fan that spins at speeds of up to 575 RPM. The cooler features a perforated, rubberized top with grooves that create air-pockets for better heat dissipation and grip with the notebook. It is powered by a USB connection, with a retractable cord. Measuring 380 x 308 x 42 mm (WxDxH), the ZM-NC3 weighs about 900 g. Slated for August 29, it is expected to be priced at 2,380 JPY (US $30).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD R5 3600
Motherboard ASUS X370 Prime Pro
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3000Mhz C15 @ 3600Mhz C16
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 FE
Storage 4x 1TB SSD
Display(s) Benq XL2411Z 144Hz + Asus VS24H
Case Corsair 270R
Audio Device(s) Yamaha AG03 + Rode Procaster
Power Supply Corsair AX 650W 90+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight
Keyboard KBD67 Lite R3 (Gazzew Boba U4 + AKKO Midnight)
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Notebook coolers don't really have that much of an effect on some notebooks, unless you have a really anemic fan and you need your laptop raised a bit, I really don't think it's worth buying one just for the possible cooling benefits.
The main problem with cooling a laptop is the fact that there isn't enough space to put anything better than 1-2 heatpipes and a couple of aluminium fins in there, extra airflow won't fix that.
I bought a Zalman cooler and the temperature difference was almost 0, due to the fact that my laptop's cooling ability wasn't limited by the airflow, but by the few heatpipes and aluminium fins it had, if I would buy a notebook cooler, I would buy it mostly because it's a nice stand, offers some extra USB ports and if it has a fan, it should be silent. Be weary of notebook coolers with very big fans, my experience with >140mm fans is that a lot of them come with crappy bearings and buzz at low speeds.

If you ask me all these coolers are a waste of money. If you want cooler laptop, buy SSD instead. And clean it regularly so it's not all filled with dust.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Notebook coolers don't really have that much of an effect on some notebooks, unless you have a really anemic fan and you need your laptop raised a bit, I really don't think it's worth buying one just for the possible cooling benefits.
The main problem with cooling a laptop is the fact that there isn't enough space to put anything better than 1-2 heatpipes and a couple of aluminium fins in there, extra airflow won't fix that.
I bought a Zalman cooler and the temperature difference was almost 0, due to the fact that my laptop's cooling ability wasn't limited by the airflow, but by the few heatpipes and aluminium fins it had, if I would buy a notebook cooler, I would buy it mostly because it's a nice stand, offers some extra USB ports and if it has a fan, it should be silent. Be weary of notebook coolers with very big fans, my experience with >140mm fans is that a lot of them come with crappy bearings and buzz at low speeds.

Most intake vents on a laptop are located on the bottom of the laptop. while you can use things like books, dvd or CD cases to prop the back of your laptop up so the vents arent kissing the desk, there will still be a small pocket of dead air underneath it and that wont help the temperatures of your laptop.... Having a laptop cooler with small fans to keep the air moving can lower temps quite a bit even though the results might not be as drastic as one would hope and like to see. theres no denying that it prevents the laptop from overheating so long as there are vents at the bottom.

My last laptop always used to go into thermal shutdown when gaming untill i got a copper shim for the GPU and a laptop cooler. so for me, a laptop cooler was quite effective.

Im using the Zalman NC-1000, bought it about 3 or 4years back and its still worth every £ i spent on it though I would have prefered to pay a little less.

If you ask me all these coolers are a waste of money. If you want cooler laptop, buy SSD instead. And clean it regularly so it's not all filled with dust.

your thinking is flawed.

A mechanical HDD doesnt generate anywhere near as much heat as a CPU or GPU. However it does contribute to the heat and while switching from a mechanical takes that out of the equation, you still have the rest of the setup to deal with. (NB/SB chipset, GPU/CPU or other compenents that might generate heat)

having a laptop cooler keeps the air in the deadzone underneath the laptop flowing and flowing air means cooler temps as the cool air is sucked into the vents and not the warm air.

There are some laptop designs that dont work well with coolers as the intake vents arent located at the bottom of the laptop but at the side.

however those seem to be very few and far between these days.

If laptop coolers made no difference at all, nobody would make or sell them.

Wasted of money, I'd say.

I use laptop daily at work and a well-built laptop never needs any 3rd party cooling even during gaming.

Mine even has Nvidia 560 in it and I haven't needed an extra cooling.

Last edited:
System Name Waterfall | xe
Processor Core i3-12100F | i5-1240P
Motherboard Gigabyte B660M-DS3H | HP laptop
Cooling Custom Watercooling | Stock laptop
Memory 2*16GB | 16GB DDR4
Video Card(s) RX 5700 with WC blocks | Iris Xe
Storage Intel 660 1TB + Crucial BX100 500GB | 1TB SSD
Display(s) U24E850R+U2515H | Internal 16"
Case Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 | Laptop
Audio Device(s) Audio 2 DJ + Xenyx Q802USB | Realtek
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W | 65W USB-C Power brick
Mouse Logitech M330
Keyboard Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Laptop
Software Gentoo + Windows 10 Pro | Gentoo
But for a less than well built laptop, cooling pads can be a good thing, and they aren't THAT expensive.

System Name The SwagMachine / The Sister
Processor Core i5 3570K @5.2ghz 1.3V/ 1100T
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-V / ASUS M5A99X EVO
Cooling Phanteks PH TC14PE / Corsair H40
Memory M379B5273DH0-YK0 2X4GB + PVI316G213C1QK 2X4GB / 2x4GB Patriot 2133
Video Card(s) PNY 780Ti /Windforce 7950
Storage 2xSamsung 840 EVO 250gb+WD10EZEX + WD30EZRX/ 1x WD1500 Black
Display(s) AOC Q2963PM+Acer S200HL / Acer S200L+ LG 22LD350
Case Fractal Define R4 / NZXT Trinity
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG / Asus Xonar DG
Power Supply Seasonic 750X / ROSEWILL RG630-S12 630W R
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma / Roccat Kone+
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow 2013 Stealth / Roccat Isku
Software Windows 8.1 Pro / Windows 7 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores one time I scored a 3 on 3dmark 11
As someone who has used a laptop that will overheat when watching HD movies, a cooling pad is needed, which is why people make them.

That will do nothing for computer that are cheaply built, like HPs and Compaqs that have a tiny heatsink with a 30mm fan. Besides a cooler is much cheaper than an SSD, and if you want a SSD with a fair amount of space it'll end up costing more than the laptop it's self.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
<snip>and if you want a SSD with a fair amount of space it'll end up costing more than the laptop it's self.

on the contrary... I dont know if this is global but samsung are doing a lot of cash back deals with their products. I can buy a 256GB 830 SSD for around £140-150. throw in £20 cash back and its almost as cheap as how 128GB SSDs used to cost at the start of this year.

put in an SSD and put the hard drive in a small USB 2.0/3.0 external Chassis and dump your music or videos on it. Its exactly the same thing i have done except i went for a Sandisk Extreme 240GB SSD for my laptop and ive only used about 80GB in total and the rest is kept on a external drive.

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
After spending some time in stores comparing different models, I have recently purchased a nzxt cryo e40 cooler (25 €) for my laptop and both the cpu and gpu temps dropped from 80º to 67º while gaming... so yes, laptop coolers work. The thing is to buy an effective and affordable one, most of laptop coolers are quite crappy (cheap plastic construction, bad fan placement or overall design, ludicrously expensive if they have a metal base, unneeded features, many of them are only meant to use on a table, etc).

The hard disk heat in a laptop is a secondary matter, I switched mine to a ssd time ago and the temp remained the same. For temp problems a laptop cooler is much better investment.

All my laptops were damn hot until i've installed SSD into them. CPU has active cooling and gets allt he heat exhausted. HDD has the biggest surface of all components, yet it releases all of the heat inside the notebook case...