• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Seagate and Intel to Demonstrate Solid State Hybrid Drive Capabilities at IDF

Seagate Technology announced today that they will be working with Intel Corporation to demonstrate new advancements in solid state hybrid drives (SSHD) at this year's Intel Developer Forum taking place September 11-13, 2012, at the Moscone West Convention Center in San Francisco. In the Advanced Technology Zone of the event, Intel will demonstrate Seagate's latest solid state hybrid drive design, accelerated with Intel Smart Response Technology, which run common office productivity applications almost on par with solid state drives.

Separately, an educational presentation titled "Ultrabook Responsiveness: Performance & Power End-Users Can Feel", will provide details on how SSHD technology combined with Intel Smart Response Technology will contribute to a powerful new combination of performance and capacity in the next generation Ultrabook devices. Solid state hybrid drives combine performance similar to a solid state drive with the large capacity of a hard disk drive in a single disk drive enclosure.

Each year, Intel's strategic partners gather at Intel Developer Forum to learn about, discuss and demonstrate advancements in personal computing based on PC industry standards and Intel products. At this year's forum, Intel will announce support for the Serial ATA International Organization (SATA-IO) Hybrid Information Feature with Intel Smart Response Technology, targeted for a release in the second half of 2013. Intel Smart Response Technology is expected to accelerate the performance of solid state hybrid drives enabled with the SATA IO Hybrid Information Feature by up to 30 percent, as measured by the PCMark Vantage HDD suite.

"Solid state hybrid drives will help Ultrabook designers achieve key price points and performance goals," said Emil Yappert, vice president of product line management at Seagate. "SSHD products are being embraced by industry leaders such as Intel as demonstrated by the collaborative efforts with the SATA-IO member companies leading to Seagate's new hybrid drive capabilities, which can significantly improve SSHD performance and help drive general adoption in the PC ecosystem during 2013 and beyond."

Similarly, Microsoft has also included native support of solid state hybrid drives in Windows 8, utilizing the flash memory of the drive to achieve best-in-class boot performance.

"Intel is delighted to provide the PC industry with another attractive storage solution option," said Intel director of notebook product marketing, Adam King. "Solid state hybrid drives accelerated with Intel Smart Response Technology should enable more innovative Ultrabook and all-in-one desktop system designs."

For more information visit: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intel-developer-forum-idf/san-francisco/idf-2012-san-francisco.html

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
Motherboard AsRock X370 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H60 Liquid Cooling
Memory 16 GB CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 3000 Mhz (Running at 2933)
Video Card(s) EVGA FTW2 GTX 1070Ti
Storage 740GB of SSDs, 7 TB's of HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UD58P-B 27” IPS 4K
Case Phanteks Enthos Pro M
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply EVGA 750 P2
Mouse Mionix Naos 8200
Keyboard G Skill Ripjaws RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
This whole caching business doesn't live up to what its hyped up to be. I used the Intel RST tech and it didn't do much for me...

System Name Game Raver
Processor Core i7-770K
Motherboard ASRock Z170A-X1
Cooling Coolermaster AIO
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage 1TB Crucial SSD. 4TB Seagate HDD
Display(s) AOC 1080p 144Hz
Case NZXT Phantom 410 /w/ Silverstone FN121P-BL fans
Audio Device(s) ASUS Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Its a better move than SSDs, of course the solution is a lot faster however far more expensive to the point of denial by most consumers. With the performance per dollar on my focus, hybrid drives are a better buy.I am just waiting for a 3.5" version to appear.

I personally find that the hybrid xt drives have helped me immensely. I have 2 500GB XT drives in my HP Laptop at work for booting Win7 on one and Win8 on the other. The drives make a hugh difference in boot times and app loading speed.

I would love 2 500GB SSD's instead but at $800 compared to $150, it is quite a significant cost difference. Looking forward to this time next year though.:D