• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sony PlayStation 4 "Orbis" Kits Shipping to Developers, Powered by AMD A10 APU

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329
its like this every year, some people get sick of it, but some people love to see others talk about things they don't know about.

here are the facts, im not wrong and its been said before, even in this thread, game consoles only need a fraction of the power a pc needs for gaming because there is no heavy multitasking, no os throttling, and devs get a dev kit that PROMISES 100% performance so the devs have time to work with what little they have without worrying about component upgrades. even today I bet any of you cant play gta iv with 256mb ram and even a hd7970 on windows xp and up with as good frames as a ps3 gets... lol and with a core i7 3770k.. I doubt gta iv will even open, it will just say fuck you im busy.

Benetanegia

its like this every year, some people get sick of it, but some people love to see others talk about things they don't know about.

I'm actually a low profile game developer and I know that to be BS. Not 100% bullshit, but it's completely overblown. Console being a closed platform with very lightweight OS, helps increase performance, but not to the point where a console becomes 2x faster on the same hardware and let's not start talking about 8x hardware difference.

As a developer I also know that console games are heavily watered down (in much more ways than average guy can appreciate, i.e. in bit precision on internal buffers) so any comparison of performance is rather stupid, since you are never comparing apples to apples. GTA IV on PC is not the same as console versions. Plus it's horribly optimized, if at all.

I also know that they have to make almost miracles to "optimize" the console games to the point they run at 30 fps, whereas they are only allowed to spend a fraction of the time to optimize for PC. If they spent the same time and used the same tricks the performance would be really close to consoles. In fact early games like for example Gears of War, looked better and ran better on PC way back in 2006, despite the fact that the hardware difference was not as pronounced back then. Why was that posible is simple, it was "optimized" (read watered down + real optimization) almost as much as the console version.

Last edited:
System Name Shoebox Sandwich | Razer Blade 14 | Synology DS418 w/ 4X8TB WD Red | iPhone 15 Pro
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX
Motherboard ASRock B650E PG-ITX WiFi | Razer thing
Cooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB w/ Lian Li P28 + Corsair AF120 Slim | Double fan vapour chamber
Memory G.Skill Flare X5 2x16GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5 | 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 8GB
Storage Seagate FireCuda 520 2TB + Lexar NM790 4TB | 1TB NVMe SSD + 2TB NVMe external SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW & Sony A90K 42" | 14" QHD IPS 165Hz & Sony X90J 65" 4K TV
Case FormD T1 - v2.1 - Titanium colourway w Aluminium mesh | Razer Blade 14
Audio Device(s) Schiit Hel 2E (Focal Clear & HiFiMAN HE-4XX & DROP PC38X) | Samsung Q950A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum | Razer 230W brick
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury | Roccat Kain 202
Keyboard DIY Geek 64 PCB (Kailh Box Deep Sea - Matcha XDA Keycaps) | Corsair K63
VR HMD Oculus Quest
Software Windows 11 Home | Windows 11 Home
Benchmark Scores 2022 MINI Countryman SE PHEV Hybrid ALL4 | British Racing Green| Malt Brown Interior| YOURS Trim
I'm actually a low profile game developer and I know that to be BS. Not 100% bullshit, but it's completely overblown. Console being a closed platform with very lightweight OS, helps increase performance, but not to the point where a console becomes 2x faster on the same hardware and let's not start talking about 8x hardware difference.

As a developer I also know that console games are heavily watered down (in much more ways than average guy can appreciate, i.e. in bit precision on internal buffers) so any comparison of performance is rather stupid, since you are never comparing apples to apples. GTA IV on PC is not the same as console versions. Plus it's horribly optimized, if at all.

I also know that they have to make almost miracles to "optimize" the console games to the point they run at 30 fps, whereas they are only allowed to spend a fraction of the time to optimize for PC. If they spent the same time and used the same tricks the performance would be really close to consoles. In fact early games like for example Gears of War, looked better and ran better on PC way back in 2006, despite the fact that the hardware difference was not as pronounced back then. Why was that posible is simple, it was "optimized" (read watered down + real optimization) almost as much as the console version.

Thanks for the insight, I suppose that makes sense for the older games to run better on PC vs. console compared to newer ones because of what you said being that the performance gap wasn't as large. I think the worst port I played on PC was 'Wheelman' where even the controls were all left as X360 controls (such as 'A' button, 'RT' etc) and that happened without any controllers plugged in as well D:

T4C Fantasy

CPU & GPU DB Maintainer
Staff member
System Name Whaaaat Kiiiiiiid!
Processor Intel Core i9-12900K @ Default
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 AORUS Elite AX
Cooling Corsair H150i AIO Cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA @ Default
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512GB + Crucial MX500 2TB x3 + Crucial MX500 4TB + Samsung 980 PRO 1TB
Display(s) 27" LG 27MU67-B 4K, + 27" Acer Predator XB271HU 1440P
Case Thermaltake Core X9 Snow
Audio Device(s) Logitech G935 Headset
Power Supply SeaSonic Platinum 1050W Snow Silent
Mouse Logitech G903 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech G915
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores FFXV: 19329

I didn't mention anything about graphics, only fps, of course pc version is better in everyway except it requires more demanding hardware but for very good reason, the multi tasking and throttling. and consoles bring out the best in devs, there still isn't a pc racing game with better graphics than gt5, maybe better simulation... but not graphics, its peoples opinion on gameplay.. that in rare cases devs put more work into graphics for consoles then pcs and achieve success in doing so.

That's what I always try to explain.