• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 8, full or upgrade required?

I'm about to build a new system, and I need it to be windows 8 Pro (I have to gain mastery of it for my line of work...) and I'm wondering if the full OEM version is necessary for my new build or if it's possible to install the upgrade version somehow via a clean install without having issues down the road.

While I'm not suggesting pirating a copy of windows, I would like to save some money and buy a cheaper legit version of the OS if possible...that being said I don't have an old windows 7 to "upgrade" (well I do, I have a windows 7 enterprise, but I'm not giving that up as I need it elsewhere...)

Any tips on this appreciated. Am I stuck paying the $100 more for the full version in this scenario?

p_o_s_pc

F@H&WCG addict
System Name el'lappy|Cruncher | Cruncher 2
Processor intel C2D T6400 | i7 3770k @4.2ghz | AII X2 220 @3.4ghz
Motherboard some Acer | Asus P8Z77-V Pro |Gigabyter GA-M61p-S3
Cooling dual 80mm cooling fan | WC'ing ) |cheapo
Memory 2x2gb ddr3 | 2x2gb Ripjaws 1600 |4x512mb D9s
Video Card(s) onboard | 60 1GB(hd7770 ) |8800GTS
Storage Momuntus xt 320gb |Kingston Hyper X 120gb SATA III|500gb WD
Display(s) 17in | 42" 1080P HD 3D TV
Case lappy case | CM HAF XB |none yet
Audio Device(s) onboard | onboard | onboard
Power Supply Dell brick w/ acer end end | Antec EW 650w |Antec SP 350w(upg.soon)
Software Windows 7 Ult. 64bit---->------->
Sorry to say it but i'm fairly sure your stuck paying the extra for the full windows 8 :ohwell: .
Maybe someone else knows something that I don't about this or can confirm this.

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk D4
Cooling Corsair XC7 Block / Corsair XG7 Block EK 360PE Radiator EK 120XE Radiator 5x EK Vadar Furious Fans
Memory 64GB Corsair Dominator DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio
Storage 1TB WD Black SN850 / 4TB Inland Premium / 8TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Alienware AW3821DW / ASUS TUF VG279QM
Case Lian-Li Dynamic 011 XL ROG
Audio Device(s) Razer Nommo Pro Speakers / Creative AE-9 w/ Beyerdynamic MMX 300
Power Supply EVGA P2 1200W Platinum
Mouse Razer Naga Pro
Keyboard Deathstalker Pro
The upgrade copies sold at Microcenter will allow you to do a full installation despite it being an upgrade. Our Microsoft rep told us this and alot of us have done clean installs with it. Installed on some VMs and a Macbook.

**EDIT** Should be good no matter where you buy it from. **EDIT**

System Name Awesomesauce 4.3 | Laptop (MSI GE72VR 6RF Apache Pro-023)
Processor Intel Core i7-5820K 4.16GHz 1.28v/3GHz 1.05v uncore | Intel Core i7-6700HQ @ 3.1GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5 WiFi LGA2011-v3| Stock
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 w/ 2x EK Vardar F4-120ER + various 120/140mm case fans | Stock
Memory G.Skill RJ-4 16GB DDR4-2666 CL15 quad channel | 12GB DDR4-2133
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid SC2 11GB @ 2012/5151 boost | NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB +200/+500 + Intel 530
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 500GB + Seagate 3TB 7200RPM + others | Kingston 256GB M.2 SATA + 1TB 7200RPM
Display(s) Acer G257HU 1440p 60Hz AH-IPS 4ms | 17.3" 1920*1080 60Hz wide angle TN notebook panel
Case Fractal Design Define XL R2 | MSI
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z | Realtek with quad stereo speakers and subwoofer
Power Supply Corsair HX850i Platinum | 19.5v 180w Delta brick
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 | Windows 10 Home x64
You might be able to install the Windows 7 you own without activating it, and "upgrade" to Windows 8 Pro from that installation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Windows upgrades only check for the existence of an OS to upgrade from and not whether it is activated or not.

You might be able to install the Windows 7 you own without activating it, and "upgrade" to Windows 8 Pro from that installation. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Windows upgrades only check for the existence of an OS to upgrade from and not whether it is activated or not.

Hmmm, my win 7 is already activated and I read somewhere else that it does render the previous license of windows "overwritten" so you can't continue to use the older one...I don't want this to happen.

I guess I'll risk the upgrade for $40 or whatever, since it's so cheap, and if it ends up failing, at least I have a spare copy to give to someone I know.

I'll post my results here, will probably be a couple weeks or a bit more...

Thanks for the responses!

Hmmm, my win 7 is already activated and I read somewhere else that it does render the previous license of windows "overwritten" so you can't continue to use the older one...I don't want this to happen.

Not true. Upgrade to 8 doesn't annihilate your 7 license.

NecroNaga

My question is similar to the OPs.

I already bought the upgrade version of Windows 8 last night(15$ for a new os is not bad in my opinion.) and burned it onto a disk. I was planning on using it on this comp, but I am also getting ready for building a new comp and was wondering if I should try and use the upgrade version on the new comp so I could save some money.

Should I go with my original plan and upgrade my current comp's os and buy a new os for my new machine? Or should I use the upgrade on the new machine(if I can.)?

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
Upgrade is upgrade from an existing OS and while you can do a clean install I think you cannot do it on an new HDD. So you'll have to install an OS prior to clean install Windows 8 upgrade. Don't know whether you have to activate the previous version or not.

Upgrade is upgrade from an existing OS and while you can do a clean install I think you cannot do it on an new HDD. So you'll have to install an OS prior to clean install Windows 8 upgrade. Don't know whether you have to activate the previous version or not.

I'm hearing conflicting reports on this. Many people have had success doing a clean install with it. I'm going to give it a shot, and let you all know in a couple weeks.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I found this and it worked for me but may not for others. Burn the ISO to a disc and boot from it. Once it asks to upgrade or custom install do custom and format the HDD. After the install do the instructions below

Ok after some research I found a fix for the dreaded "0xC004F061" Windows cannot be activated due to not being an upgrade.

Code:
1. Launch the command prompt as an administrator (Windows key & X –or CMD X if running on a Mac).

2. Type regedit and press enter.

3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE

4. Look for the item MediaBootInstall and set the status to 0

5. Close regedit and head back to the command prompt that should be still open.

6. Type slmgr /rearm and restart when prompted.
http://www.techbeast.net/2012/10/26/windows-8-clean-installation-with-an-upgrade-license/

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
^^ That worked for me

NecroNaga

@brandonwh64

That sounds like it can work for a new computer that never had an os on it before. Hmm. I might give it a try, if it doesn't work, then I guess I will go with my original plan.

I found this and it worked for me but may not for others. Burn the ISO to a disc and boot from it. Once it asks to upgrade or custom install do custom and format the HDD. After the install do the instructions below

Ok after some research I found a fix for the dreaded "0xC004F061" Windows cannot be activated due to not being an upgrade.

Code:
1. Launch the command prompt as an administrator (Windows key & X –or CMD X if running on a Mac).

3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE

http://www.techbeast.net/2012/10/26/windows-8-clean-installation-with-an-upgrade-license/

Cool thank you, I also read that some people (many of those who were using an XP or a Vista key, not a windows 7 key to purchase the upgrade from MS for $39.99) were having issues being given the option to 'create an iso' and were only seeing "install now" or "install later" options, or something like that...

Someone posted a link to a MS setup file (this requires the Win8 serial to install) that he says allows the creation of a ISO for those of you having that problem....haven't tested myself yet, but the setup does ask for a Windows 8 product key when you launch it, so I assume there is a "create iso" option shortly after....

The setup link: go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=262204

Hope this helps someone...

NecroNaga

I do have another question that is tied to what I am about to do.

Will the comp need to be connect to the net in order for windows 8 to activate? Or is there a way to activate it with the comp not connected to the net?

brandonwh64

Will the comp need to be connect to the net in order for windows 8 to activate? Or is there a way to activate it with the comp not connected to the net?

By internet or phone.

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro

This time around win 8 activates automatically when you are connected to the net. So it doesn't ask you to do anything.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
I've had a fairly good track of making fresh installs with the upgrade versions (3 so far). As far as I can tell if you have a previous activaded Win7 install on the disk, you can make a fresh install over it by deleting the partitions from the W8 installer. If you format the disk previously or use a new one it will be unactivated.

Alternatively there's this workaround but some people have had mixed success with it:

Code:

http://www.techbeast.net/2012/10/26/...grade-license/

brandonwh64

I've had a fairly good track of making fresh installs with the upgrade versions (3 so far). As far as I can tell if you have a previous activaded Win7 install on the disk, you can make a fresh install over it by deleting the partitions from the W8 installer. If you format the disk previously or use a new one it will be unactivated.

Alternatively there's this workaround but some people have had mixed success with it:

I posted that earlier in this thread.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
Sorry :eek: Kudos to brandonwh64 for the workaround. :toast:

BTW if Win8 boots straight to the desktop then your copy is unactivated. You won't have access to the app store, customize and Metro. Desktop programs install fine so it remains pretty usable. Didn't test if it had some sort of concurrent running programs limitation or something.

Very useful information everyone, thanks! I'll let you know how my win8 upgrade (clean install) goes in a couple weeks or so.

DynoDon

Hi folks. I found this site by accident (?) researching W8 clean installs. This may or may not be news but based on this thread -only- it might be. Using W7, I first downloaded the "upgrade" version of W8 pro as has been described to get the "discount." I saved the ISO to a folder on my HD. (I've seen some say it goes into a hidden folder but I had no trouble here) Anyway I burned the ISO to a DVD. The I removed my W7 drives, installed a single blank HD, and booted from the DVD. It said I had some data on the HD but AFAIWC it was blank. I went to advanced and combined the two partitions, told it to format (very quick) and let 'er rip.

W8 "upgrade" installed cleanly with no issues. Using the product key that was sent. Unlike some here who seem to have had some difficulty. It did not allow me to go past product key entry and "Validate online." And the process of bypassing that and modifying the registry was not required. It just installed and ran.

FYI I do not consider myself a geek (that's my sons job :)) but have been around computers since MS-DOS. I've upgraded Windows many times over the years, almost always from "upgrade" media. Usually I would have to show Windows my "old" version but other than that always had good luck. This time I didn't even have to do that, W8 just installed.

Only did this today so I'm still poking around but you would have thought MS would have hollered at me before this if I screwed up.

Anyway, cool site. Just thought I'd post the above for entirely informational purposes. No flaming or anything else intended.

Thanks!

Thank you DynoDon for taking the time to post that, i hope I have a similar experience when I do the install!

DynoDon

Thank you DynoDon for taking the time to post that, i hope I have a similar experience when I do the install!

You're welcome. I was pleasantly surprised it went as smoothly as it did. Hope you have the same luck. Let us know how it goes.

Now AFA W8 goes, I'm not sure I like it yet. Learning curve steepened considerably. ;) I'm gonna have to play with it a lot more before I convert. Once beyond the new desktop I like what I see but I need to learn how to configure the opening screens, task bar, and other stuff to my liking better. My install is on a 5-6 year old HP desktop. No touch screen here so having fun learning. :ohwell: